Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is BBCE finally drying up?

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold and silver while higher than it was in 2007 is also much lower than it was in 2011. Unlike PM, unopened product has shown no sign of ever declining in price. I could buy a 75 mini wax bok for 1k five years ago. That same box has almost doubled in value since then.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭
    Those of you who have not dealt with Fritsch before should know that you can trust his stuff as well and his boxes are extremely nice. Note that if you were to find a box or two that you would like to purchase he will pack the items up with extreme care. He takes great pride in his packing abilities. However there is a downside in buying items from Fritsch. Let's say that you want to buy a box of 1979 Topps from him at his asking price of $550. He will put you on hold and come back and tell you that they have it in stock for $550. There are no discounted prices. Once you get the box you are thrilled with the product, so you decide to buy another one from him. You call back to order another box at $550 they will tell you that the price is now $575. He has a floating price on all his products which makes it hard to buy from.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Let's say that you want to buy a box of 1979 Topps from him at his asking price of $550. He will put you on hold and come back and tell you that they have it in stock for $550. There are no discounted prices. Once you get the box you are thrilled with the product, so you decide to buy another one from him. You call back to order another box at $550 they will tell you that the price is now $575. He has a floating price on all his products which makes it hard to buy from. >>

Say it ain't so. image

In all seriousness, I've heard the exact same thing from numerous people, but when you have the product he does, you pay what he says or move on.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    I have never bought from Fritisch. I am a loyal buyer on many things. While his stuff may be great stuff, I feel my loyalty to Steve and BBCE at this time is warranted - mostly due to the generous Group Rips that he offers with 10% off the purchases. But maybe as things become less available, I may look outside to fill those niche products that I cant find anywhere.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gold and silver while higher than it was in 2007 is also much lower than it was in 2011. Unlike PM, unopened product has shown no sign of ever declining in price. I could buy a 75 mini wax bok for 1k five years ago. That same box has almost doubled in value since then. >>

Tim is spot on with this info. In late 2011 a 75T Mini wax box could be purchased from BBCE for $1215. There is one in the REA auction closing tomorrow that is already OVER $2000 with the BP.

And finding unopened 1975T Mini boxes was a lot easier than other years from the early 70s (thanks, in part, to the Conlon stash).

Dave
  • Options
    That might be true on 80's material. I was really speaking about the 70's stuff but he did not discount the last purchase that was made when I bought a cello box of football from the 80's .
  • Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    So Fritsch is out of all those cello boxes 75 bb, 75 football, 78 football, 1973 topps 4th series wax box? Wow. Did anyone call to confirm these boxes are unavailable?
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So Fritsch is out of all those cello boxes 75 bb, 75 football, 78 football, 1973 topps 4th series wax box? Wow. Did anyone call to confirm these boxes are unavailable? >>

I highly doubt it, just controlling the market. Once Fritsch makes his quota, he has no incentive to sell more. He needs to keep his revenue stream going.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So Fritsch is out of all those cello boxes 75 bb, 75 football, 78 football, 1973 topps 4th series wax box? Wow. Did anyone call to confirm these boxes are unavailable? >>

I highly doubt it, just controlling the market. Once Fritsch makes his quota, he has no incentive to sell more. He needs to keep his revenue stream going. >>

Agree with Mike. There is a big difference between product being "unavailable" and "sold out." Fritsch is also now consigning 73 BB wax and 75 cello boxes to several major AHs at this point, too, where he probably gets a better return, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Definition of a "thin" market and small float. Let's suppose that those who parrot the line that there are unopened hoarders out there pushing the market up are correct. So what? How many are we talking about? We can account for almost every purchase through 5-7 people on this board and a few anonymous others. Do any of us have a massive hoard? Not really, even Tim's incredible stash of mini cellos would be gobbled up like one order of calamari for a men's over 40 softball team! It would be gone in a sec, 100 cellos packs at 100 dollars a piece is just a 10K drop in the bucket and yet he has the only major hoard. Those cellos would hardly convert to even 1 tenth of 1 high grade set. Also, the degree to which one of us can go to BBCE and clean out a decade in one afternoon seems to me the definition of a "thin" market. We could not do that with 1987-90.
    I only began to realize how thin the 70s market was after completing most of the 1970s sets in high grade and then turning to 78 and 79 which I had saved for last. I had thought that I could pick up unopened to complete those sets at my leisure because for many years I could go on BBCE and find whatever I wanted. I was fortunate to acquire a stash of 79s that I can use to upgrade my set, but missed on most of the 78s (I have 5 cello boxes from Steve and that is it). I believe that Hatch's run at a perfect 78 set led to the ripping of almost all the 78 unopened supply. I don't think there are cases of this year anywhere. I believe outside of Fritsch 1978 is kaput. Same with most of the other 70s years. So the 70s are about done.
    As for the 80s...that is an interesting conversation to have - I think that the 80s will be collected with PSA 10 as the standard. If that is true then there is the potential for price appreciation. However, the question needs to be answered on whether collectors with cash are really willing to pony up for PSA 10 commons from the 80s. The answer to that question will determine the viability of that entire decade for price appreciation IMO.
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options

<< <i>Just got a 20% off email from Fritsch, till May 20 on all '80s+. >>

I hate to even respond to BBG because he does not deserve my attention, but Fritsch does not offer a discount on items purchased through the catalog but only those items off his website. Any unopened material must be purchased through the catalog and it is not discounted.

Shane
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Just got a 20% off email from Fritsch, till May 20 on all '80s+. >>

I hate to even respond to BBG because he does not deserve my attention, but Fritsch does not offer a discount on items purchased through the catalog but only those items off his website. Any unopened material must be purchased through the catalog and it is not discounted.

Shane >>

• Options
    3BoyzTrading3BoyzTrading Posts: 798 ✭✭

<< <i> but Fritsch does not offer a discount on items purchased through the catalog but only those items off his website. Any unopened material must be purchased through the catalog and it is not discounted. >>

I surely wish they did! They do list sales in the catalog also. I've seen 10-20 percent off on boxes and sets. However, there is no sale on the good stuff.

<< <i>I may look outside to fill those niche products that I cant find anywhere. >>

There are 71 Topps vending boxes at $10,000 to $20,000 each!
  • Options
    Fritsch, Kruk, BBCE -- are no dimmies and know exactly what they're doing.

They hold on to scarcer things just like we collectors hold on to some things for later resale
    when they believe that the market value on those items will rise significantly.

Why should they sell now when they can hold on to some things for a few more years
    and make 2-3x the current price?

I get the feeling that some people think they're offering everything for sale that they currently have.
    In most commodities that may be the case, in limited-edition collectibles it is often NOT.

If I personally had a case of 1978 Topps baseball that I wanted to sell, and was not
    in dire need of cash, I would not sell it right now. With unopened prices going the
    direction they are I'd hold onto it for at least 3 more years.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    I know the National is coming up, so some of the "drying" may be a result of that, and I would guess some maybe just stuff not posted on the site.

BUT....

They are out of 1989 Low series Upper Deck boxes
    I think they had a 1989 Fleer Cello box up there recently now gone
    They had a 1987 OPC box, but thats gone too (not sure when though)

everything else looks untouched....

just a humble update.

• Options
    The only stuff you're gonna see before the national is what is more commonplace or at the extreme high end.
    Things that can be easily re-stocked or take a long time to sell.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭
    I just stumbled across ebay seller boca_cards, who seems to have an assortment of unopened at prices similar to BBCE on some of the items. Has anyone had experience with them?
  • Options
    they recently had the 1981 box of super cellos someone on this board picked up. They seemed ok. Had not heard feedback.
  • Options

<< <i>I just stumbled across ebay seller boca_cards, who seems to have an assortment of unopened at prices similar to BBCE on some of the items. Has anyone had experience with them? >>

I just bought two 1985 Topps rack boxes from him in the last couple of weeks. They had been shrink-wrapped at some point and I think it had been awhile because the shrink wrap seemed old (was kind of discolored). Have only opened up one box and have busted a few packs. Definitely unsearched (no lack of star power in the few packs that I've opened), but the shrink-wrap had been pretty tight and four or five packs on top had sections of cards that were bent. But I wouldn't let that keep me from buying from him again.

While on the subject of 1985 Topps, I can't believe how crappy the centering is on those suckers. Between the packs I've opened from this box and the packs I've opened from a BBCE box that I have, getting 3-4 nicely centered cards in a pack is about as good as it gets. And most of those will have corner dings. I'd say that not more than 1 or 2 cards per hundred are worth subbing. There are ton of low pops in this set (more than half the set is pop 5 or lower in PSA 10), and I can see it staying that way for awhile (I realize that the set popularity plays a role in that too).
  • Options
    SloshedJoshSloshedJosh Posts: 80 ✭✭

<< <i>I just stumbled across ebay seller boca_cards, who seems to have an assortment of unopened at prices similar to BBCE on some of the items. Has anyone had experience with them? >>

I too have ordered from boca_cards. Bought 2 boxes of Garbage Pail Kids last year. Their shrink wrap is way too tight. Both boxes resulted in "wavy" cards.
    Looking to buy/trade for any Holman Moody (NASCAR) related items you may have.
  • Options

<< <i>

I just bought two 1985 Topps rack boxes from him in the last couple of weeks. They had been shrink-wrapped at some point and I think it had been awhile because the shrink wrap seemed old (was kind of discolored). Have only opened up one box and have busted a few packs. Definitely unsearched (no lack of star power in the few packs that I've opened), but the shrink-wrap had been pretty tight and four or five packs on top had sections of cards that were bent. But I wouldn't let that keep me from buying from him again. >>

Boca Cards is the business owned by Doug Koval from Boca Raton Florida. Back in the 90's, Doug was partnered with Mike Parness who went by the name "Waxman". They were out of the Greater NYC area. They advertised heavily in SCD and were buyers of unopened material, especially cases. Mike went on to become quite a stock trader and made millions in the market.
    I've dealt with Doug on a number of items and never had a problem with anything he sold to me. His prices are competitive and his product has always arrived promptly and in good condition.

Doug
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • Options
    Coucher, did your rack box have stars showing? It's too bad about the shrink wrap - I wonder if they would be open to suggestion to not wrap it so tightly.
  • Options

<< <i>

I too have ordered from boca_cards. Bought 2 boxes of Garbage Pail Kids last year. Their shrink wrap is way too tight. Both boxes resulted in "wavy" cards. >>

"Wavy" is exactly the word to describe it. Not creased, but not flat.
  • Options

<< <i>Coucher, did your rack box have stars showing? It's too bad about the shrink wrap - I wonder if they would be open to suggestion to not wrap it so tightly. >>

Had a few minor stars. None of the big rookies, but with only five base set cards showing on each of 24 packs, you'll only have at most 15% of the set represented. I pulled a Puckett out of the first pack so I assumed no hanky-panky.
  • Options
    An interesting article on the 1985 Topps Set

1985 Topps Baseball
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Coucher, did your rack box have stars showing? It's too bad about the shrink wrap - I wonder if they would be open to suggestion to not wrap it so tightly. >>

Had a few minor stars. None of the big rookies, but with only five base set cards showing on each of 24 packs, you'll only have at most 15% of the set represented. I pulled a Puckett out of the first pack so I assumed no hanky-panky. >>

Cool. Thanks for the info!
  • Options

<< <i>An interesting article on the 1985 Topps Set

1985 Topps Baseball >>

Yes it is. I asked the question recently on this board -- should we dump our McGwire and Clemens cards
    or give it some more time to see if the attitudes change? Cuz if they don't in the next 5 years then I
    agree with the article per the long-term prospects of the 1985 set.

I have an uncut sheet from 1985 Topps that I'm thinking of having framed, luckily it does not feature either
    of the PED poster boys.

The sheet has about 10 HOFers though, so my other option is to get a talented sheet-cuttter to turn them
    all into BGS 9.5 for me. image

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    well, you can't just go around repackaging those.

i mean, you'd need a stick of gum the size of Rhode Island and a wrapper that looks like it came from a quilting competition.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>An interesting article on the 1985 Topps Set

1985 Topps Baseball >>

Yes it is. I asked the question recently on this board -- should we dump our McGwire and Clemens cards
    or give it some more time to see if the attitudes change? Cuz if they don't in the next 5 years then I
    agree with the article per the long-term prospects of the 1985 set.

I have an uncut sheet from 1985 Topps that I'm thinking of having framed, luckily it does not feature either
    of the PED poster boys.

The sheet has about 10 HOFers though, so my other option is to get a talented sheet-cuttter to turn them
    all into BGS 9.5 for me. image >>

is #620 on the sheet? image
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

<< <i>is #620 on the sheet? image >>

I purchased it as an advertised "steroid-free sheet" from 1985 Topps.

It has Seaver and Carlton as the first two cards in the upper left corner.

The sheet doesn't have #620 Gooden.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>is #620 on the sheet? image >>

I purchased it as an advertised "steroid-free sheet" from 1985 Topps.

It has Seaver and Carlton as the first two cards in the upper left corner.

The sheet doesn't have #620 Gooden. >>

darn!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Just noticed that Boca Cards no longer has a sealed wax case of 83 Topps baseball. If I recall, it was about $2,700. Anyone here nab that one?

On the junk years, they no longer have cases of 89 Fleer racks. I think they were $74 or $75.
  • Options
    89 Upperdeck wax boxes gone, low numbers that is. BBCE is about to hit under 100 products for 80's which is pretty huge because there was about 130 products about 3 weeks ago.
  • Options
    BBCE is completely out of 1988-91 Topps Baseball rack boxes or cases.

If this stuff is so flippin' common as everyone likes to say, then why doesn't
    BBCE have anything.

It's enough to make one turn to coin collecting.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 490 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BBCE is completely out of 1988-91 Topps Baseball rack boxes or cases.

BBCE have anything.

It's enough to make one turn to coin collecting. >>

Theres wax, cello, rack, vending, and jumbo factory sealed cases of Topps baseball 1988-1991 on ebay right now. You could probably get a case of each variety from each year for under $1K right now, shipped.

I'd call that common.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>BBCE is completely out of 1988-91 Topps Baseball rack boxes or cases.

BBCE have anything.

It's enough to make one turn to coin collecting. >>

Theres wax, cello, rack, vending, and jumbo factory sealed cases of Topps baseball 1988-1991 on ebay right now. You could probably get a case of each variety from each year for under $1K right now, shipped.

I'd call that common. >>

This thread is about BBCE. I don't give a crap about eBAY.

This is the BBCE bashing thread so get with it man!

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 490 ✭✭✭
    LOL. I missed the sarcasm first time around image
  • Options
    But it is an interesting question no? BBCE should have that stuff
    in their inventory so the answer the original poster -- YES they are drying up. image

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    Cases of 88-91 topps drying up????? What's the world coming to!
  • Options

<< <i>Cases of 88-91 topps drying up????? What's the world coming to! >>

I cannot imagine any possible scenario where that stuff is ever worth anything.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Cases of 88-91 topps drying up????? What's the world coming to! >>

I cannot imagine any possible scenario where that stuff is ever worth anything. >>

I beg to differ. 4SC is running a business selling PSA 10s from those sets.

So evidently SOME scenarios are different than your mindset.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    i look forward to the day when all the vintage freeks disappear and this forum turns into daily ramblings about HTF '88 Topps baseball prices shot thru the roof after the ceremonial burnings finally claimed their trillionth card. image
  • Options
    For all you guys that love to hate on 1987-91 Topps and evidently believe
    that they' re not worth anything, here are 4SC sales for the last 15 days only:

4SC sales of 1987-91 Topps last 15 days

Many are not big-dollar cards for you high-rollers, but some people do want them.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    not hating, brutha. i actually like the junk years.

the stacks of boxes are keeping my garage walls from caving in. image
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For all you guys that love to hate on 1987-91 Topps and evidently believe

Many are not big-dollar cards for you high-rollers, but some people do want them. >>

That is not counting the stuff sold directly from their website either.

aconte
  • Options

<< <i>For all you guys that love to hate on 1987-91 Topps and evidently believe

Many are not big-dollar cards for you high-rollers, but some people do want them. >>

If those are the best PSA 10 prices you can find, whose side are you arguing?
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marc, I think you deserve a cookie for this interminable thread. Love the perspectives, but I loathe the continued dearth of moisture.

To directly answer your question after 4+ months, it's so completely arid that I'm starting to experience hallucinogenic effects. The other day I looked in my rear-view mirror and I could've sworn I saw a box of 77T on the side of the road. But something was amiss. Instead of Bob Jones following through on an Uncle Charlie that he probably missed by a foot, he was grabbing his junk with one hand, showing me one of his fingers on the other, and laughing profusely.

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• Options

<< <i>If those are the best PSA 10 prices you can find, whose side are you arguing? >>

Remember that those prices are from the last 15 days only. They are admittedly not high,
    but they were selling better earlier this spring. Then you have to consider that they're
    getting these cards very very cheaply to begin with since they buy cases and bust 'em,
    then they get a reduced quantity grading fee from PSA.

So 25-50 bucks for some of these cards is not bad if you can sell enough of them.

And they do.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    Personally, I think we will have a better view after the National. But thats just my guess.