Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is BBCE finally drying up?

Comments

• Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    I saw these the 1982 boxes on his website yesterday and noted that they were from a sealed case. I wanted a box to complete my run of 81-85 topps wax from sealed cases, but felt a little uneasy about the price, so I was going to think about it....well, the thinking is over as I just placed my order with BBCE :-) Glad to pick this up, and I guess we're not going to see prices like we used to see a year ago.....or even six months ago for that matter.

Thanks for the heads up on the limited quantity left...Do you think he can sell out a case in 24 hours?

Jeremy
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the heads up Marc. Just picked one up myself although I already have 2 in my collection. I told myself that since it was from a sealed case, it was o.k. to buy a third. image >>

Mike,

Just used your rationale myself ..hope you dont mind. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are boxes. There are boxes that come from Steve. There are boxes that come from Steve that come from a sealed case. The end.

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks for the heads up Marc. Just picked one up myself although I already have 2 in my collection. I told myself that since it was from a sealed case, it was o.k. to buy a third. image >>

Mike,

Just used your rationale myself ..hope you dont mind. image >>

Not at all. BTW, welcome to the 80's and 1980 only doesn't count. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>There are boxes. There are boxes that come from Steve. There are boxes that come from Steve that come from a sealed case. The end. >>

Stephen, you should put that quote in your sig. line. image

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Just checked the website and noticed that the 1982 boxes are now gone. 20 boxes sold in about 24 hours....WOW!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There are boxes. There are boxes that come from Steve. There are boxes that come from Steve that come from a sealed case. The end. >>

Stephen, you should put that quote in your sig. line. image >>

I'm on it, Mike! More than happy to give incessant props to the good guys!

• Options

<< <i>Just checked the website and noticed that the 1982 boxes are now gone. 20 boxes sold in about 24 hours....WOW! >>

Well that makes sense since Marc said he was told by Steve there were only about 5 boxes left. Depending if you count Marc, we know where 3 or 4 went. image

1) Marc - Foo3112
    2) Mike - cpamike
    3) Tim - grote15
    4) Jeremy - MantleFan23

Edited to add: Nice sig line Stephen. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    They are gone, Just got off the phone with Steve and bought the last two boxes!

• Options
    I snagged a box yesterday, and I honestly didn't think I was going to make it through the process in time. This forum alone is capable of mass destruction at any given moment.

• Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I snagged a box yesterday, and I honestly didn't think I was going to make it through the process in time. This forum alone is capable of mass destruction at any given moment. >>

Ya, and its all your fault with that new sig. lineimage
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    Case is gone, good work boys, now get back to work.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I snagged a box yesterday, and I honestly didn't think I was going to make it through the process in time. This forum alone is capable of mass destruction at any given moment. >>

Ya, and its all your fault with that new sig. lineimage >>

I know, right? But seriously, as someone who was taken for a ride upon reentry into the hobby, I'll never lose sight of my appreciation for these guys. Being involved in an unenviable situation like that royally sucks, and that's why I've been forced to practically tie my fingers together where this BBG bs is concerned. If the guy can provide us 50.1/49.9 centering to a tee, then I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's perspicacious enough to know the end result of his actions.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Ya, and its all your fault with that new sig. lineimage >>

I know, right? But seriously, as someone who was taken for a ride upon reentry into the hobby, I'll never lose sight of my appreciation for these guys. Being involved in an unenviable situation like that royally sucks, and that's why I've been forced to practically tie my fingers together where this BBG bs is concerned. If the guy can provide us 50.1/49.9 centering to a tee, then I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's perspicacious enough to know the end result of his actions. >>

Just funning ya. You are right, when a dealer/seller takes the high road and goes above and beyond
    and offers a quality product, scream their name from a mountain top!! There are way too many people out there that will sell anything for a buck (maybe even very old chewing gum)image
  • Options
    Well...I am sure glad I spent a day searching for and buying 1987 topps rack and vending cases to rip image , one day away from BBCE and those 1982 boxes came and went...swoosh! Grats to all that were able to snag some. IMO Brent and the boys there need to take a refresher course in Economics image = supply curve (definitely inelastic), demand curve (dramatic increase in elasticity). They probably could have upped the price 20-30% more and still sold out quickly...
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    You can most likely bet that the prices next time will probably be around $220 for these 1982 Topps wax boxes, and guess what? People will pay.
  • Options

<< <i>Well...I am sure glad I spent a day searching for and buying 1987 topps rack and vending cases to rip >>

I just finished busting cello boxes of 1988 Topps; 1987 Topps is next on my list.

1988 is very depressing -- the border design of the cards makes centering very obvious for the PSA graders
    and they really nail you on it.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    This quite possibly could be a statement uttered or typed by no one ever, but I wish Steve would pop a case of '80 pigskin. I think I jammed enough of those cards in my spokes to comprise two or three sets back in the day. Lots of nostalgic value there, and a relatively cheap rip for those who like to engage in that type of activity.

Can anyone recall the last time these boxes surfaced on website de BBCE?

• Options
    BBCEBBCE Posts: 111
    Wait....whoa...what.....Stephen? Do you have a camara hidden in my office??

Maybe you are reading my e-mails? Going through my mail?

How did you kno.........oh forget it.

I wrote my name on the back of my 1980 Topps football cards with sharpie. So when my friends stole them, I knew which ones were mine to take back! I love those cards too. Maybe one day I will actually buy a collection with some of my cards in it!

Anyway, case fresh 1980 football just may be on the radar early next week.

• Options
    It's got to be the sig. line. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They probably could have upped the price 20-30% more and still sold out quickly... >>

Ixnay on the intshay.

I remember stumbling upon a closeout at a Woolworths in Worcester Mass in 1982 - Fun Bags containing 1980 football, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Empire Strikes back packs - 24 or 36 packs to the bag. I think 24 bags to the case --- $1 per bag. Bought them for the ESB - 36 bags.

I put all of the football packs in shoeboxes and never saw them again. Am guessing 8 packs per bag x 36 bags.... damn.

Anybody remember those bags?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    1all1all Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This quite possibly could be a statement uttered or typed by no one ever, but I wish Steve would pop a case of '80 pigskin. I think I jammed enough of those cards in my spokes to comprise two or three sets back in the day. Lots of nostalgic value there, and a relatively cheap rip for those who like to engage in that type of activity.

Can anyone recall the last time these boxes surfaced on website de BBCE? >>

I actually picked up a case fresh '80 FB wax box a year ago tomorrow from BBCE. They were $135 back then and from what I remember, it took a while for the case to sell out. It will be interesting to see what kind of interest there will be this time. It really is a dud of a year although as a 10yo I do remember how cool that OJ Anderson rookie card was.

-Doug
  • Options
    I'm a bit disappointed that I missed out on the 1982 baseball wax boxes, as I placed my order via the website instead of calling yesterday. I got an email today that they were sold out. Note to self: Call next time! :-) Hopefully, I get better news this evening when my dad comes over and the packs from the group rip meet their maker! ha ha....

Jeremy
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>They probably could have upped the price 20-30% more and still sold out quickly... >>

Ixnay on the intshay.

I remember stumbling upon a closeout at a Woolworths in Worcester Mass in 1982 - Fun Bags containing 1980 football, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Empire Strikes back packs - 24 or 36 packs to the bag. I think 24 bags to the case --- $1 per bag. Bought them for the ESB - 36 bags.

I put all of the football packs in shoeboxes and never saw them again. Am guessing 8 packs per bag x 36 bags.... damn.

Anybody remember those bags? >>

Text

Fun bags??? Ahhhhhh...never mind!! image
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options

<< <i>Wait....whoa...what.....Stephen? Do you have a camara hidden in my office??

Maybe you are reading my e-mails? Going through my mail?

How did you kno.........oh forget it.

I wrote my name on the back of my 1980 Topps football cards with sharpie. So when my friends stole them, I knew which ones were mine to take back! I love those cards too. Maybe one day I will actually buy a collection with some of my cards in it!

Anyway, case fresh 1980 football just may be on the radar early next week. >>

Too funny, Steve.......and just slightly uncanny! Be careful tho with the Houdini-esque acts, as there are a bevy of unopened piranhas around here. This "Is BBCE finally drying up?" thread could quickly turn into a "Does BBCE really respond with what you're looking for within the hour?" thread before we know it.

Thanks for the reply & good to see you on here! I'll definitely be in for a box or two if it all comes to fruition.

P.S. I'll keep an eyeball out for any 1/1 1980 Topps Bucky Dilts PSA/DNA certified authentic auto by Steve Hart on the backside PSA 1.5 card

• Options

<< <i>

I wrote my name on the back of my 1980 Topps football cards with sharpie. So when my friends stole them, I knew which ones were mine to take back! I love those cards too. Maybe one day I will actually buy a collection with some of my cards in it! >>

Your best bet to find your old marked cards is to buy sealed waxpacks on ebay image
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I wrote my name on the back of my 1980 Topps football cards with sharpie. So when my friends stole them, I knew which ones were mine to take back! I love those cards too. Maybe one day I will actually buy a collection with some of my cards in it! >>

Your best bet to find your old marked cards is to buy sealed waxpacks on ebay image >>

Yeah, from newly sealed 78 BB packs image

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options

<< <i>Your best bet to find your old marked cards is to buy sealed waxpacks on ebay image >>

You mean in the PSA-graded packs right? image
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    I blame all you unopened collector types for this! image

Baseball Card Exchange Invoice:
    1978 Topps Football Unopened Wax Pack Tray
    1981 Topps Football Unopened Grocery Rack Pack Red Wrapper
    1982 Topps Football Unopened Wax Box
    1984 Topps Football Unopened Grocery Rack Pack
    1985 Topps Football Unopened Grocery Rack Pack
    1985 Topps Football Unopened Wax Box
    1988 Topps Football Unopened Wax Box
    1989 Score Football Box
    1996 Score Pinnacle Summit Football Unopened Wax Box
    2000 Collectors Edge T3 Football Unopened Retail Foil Box
    2001 Upper Deck Vintage Football Unopened Foil Case Hobby

The last 4 line items were bought to rip... the rest I am going to try to leave unmolested.

I collect sets from every decade from the 1930's to 2010's, with the exception of 1980's... which is odd given that's when I started collecting cards as a kid from 1981-1988.

So my plan is to collect one of every packaging type available (i.e. wax box, cello box, wax trays, etc.) for Topps football each year in that range.

Alas, on the heels of the last group rip, it's kind of slim pickings over at BBCE for the moment.

Snorto~
  • Options
    Scott, don't blame me...I only collect baseball. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So my plan is to collect one of every packaging type available (i.e. wax box, cello box, wax trays, etc.) for Topps football each year in that range.

Snorto~ >>

I've joined the club, too. Working backward on Topps wax packs (stuck at 1968) and working on wrappers from the beginning forward (stalled looking for a nice '57 Topps wrapper). I'll be happy when they meet and let them wave as they journey past each other...
  • Options

<< <i>I've joined the club, too. Working backward on Topps wax packs (stuck at 1968) and working on wrappers from the beginning forward (stalled looking for a nice '57 Topps wrapper). I'll be happy when they meet and let them wave as they journey past each other... >>

Scott, just say the word if you want to trade that empty 1948 Leaf box for my FULL 1988 Topps box. I'm here to help. image

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>Scott, just say the word if you want to trade that empty 1948 Leaf box for my FULL 1988 Topps box. I'm here to help. image

Snorto~ >>

What's funny is that when I mentioned to the wife that I was going after it, she initially asked, "How much do you expect to pay for that?" To which I responded, "I'll probably have to spend $3000-4000 to get it," to which she responded, "How many packs and cards are in the box?" When I said, "None. It is an empty box," she gave me a forlorn look of exasperation and I mentioned for her to look in her closet and see how many pairs of shoes she had. There wasn't much discussion after that and I eventually won the box for quite a few bids less than I expected. I've managed to pick up a couple '48 Leaf Wrappers, but I'm still looking for a '48 Leaf Football specific wrapper.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Scott, just say the word if you want to trade that empty 1948 Leaf box for my FULL 1988 Topps box. I'm here to help. image

Snorto~ >>

What's funny is that when I mentioned to the wife that I was going after it, she initially asked, "How much do you expect to pay for that?" To which I responded, "I'll probably have to spend $3000-4000 to get it," to which she responded, "How many packs and cards are in the box?" When I said, "None. It is an empty box," she gave me a forlorn look of exasperation and I mentioned for her to look in her closet and see how many pairs of shoes she had. There wasn't much discussion after that and I eventually won the box for quite a few bids less than I expected. I've managed to pick up a couple '48 Leaf Wrappers, but I'm still looking for a '48 Leaf Football specific wrapper. >>

Congrats Scott!!! I'll have to remember the closet defense next time. I usually just end up lying low for a week or so.

Collecting:
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's fascinating what some people collect. >>

Some people collect old gum to resell!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>What's funny is that when I mentioned to the wife that I was going after it, she initially asked, "How much do you expect to pay for that?" To which I responded, "I'll probably have to spend $3000-4000 to get it," to which she responded, "How many packs and cards are in the box?" When I said, "None. It is an empty box," she gave me a forlorn look of exasperation and I mentioned for her to look in her closet and see how many pairs of shoes she had. There wasn't much discussion after that and I eventually won the box for quite a few bids less than I expected. I've managed to pick up a couple '48 Leaf Wrappers, but I'm still looking for a '48 Leaf Football specific wrapper. >>

I've seen a ton of great items posted here over the years, others sharing their collections is my favorite part of these boards, but I don't think I've ever been as shocked as when you unleashed that beast upon the unsuspecting board. The fact that one still existed, forget being in such good shape, was amazing! I have never seen another, and I believe you hadn't before you won yours... have you seen another since?

Regardless, you will have no trouble turning a profit if you do ever decide to sell it. We both know there are quite a few hardcore 1948 Leaf collectors out there who would pay handsomely to add to their collection.... maybe as high as a CASE of 1988 Topps Football! image

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>
    I've seen a ton of great items posted here over the years, others sharing their collections is my favorite part of these boards, but I don't think I've ever been as shocked as when you unleashed that beast upon the unsuspecting board. The fact that one still existed, forget being in such good shape, was amazing! I have never seen another, and I believe you hadn't before you won yours... have you seen another since?

Snorto~ >>

I am unaware of another. Considering the collection that it came from, I would not be surprised if that is the only one... I am still unaware of anyone that has a sealed wax pack. That would be my White Whale, but since it probably doesn't exist, I don't even actively search for it. I jokingly mentioned that I am a '48 Leaf pack buyer if one ever showed up to Steve a few years ago at the Philly Show. His response was something along the lines of, "Yeah, you and me both."
  • Options
    This sucker blazed a trail to my casa today, and I concur with everything Grote said about his. If any of you have one or more in transit, prepare to be pleased.

• Options
    Sweet, I wished I would of got in on 1 of emimage
  • Options
    Sweet 1982 wax box Stephen. Congrats on the new addition to the family.

Collecting:
  • Options

<< <i>Sweet, I wished I would of got in on 1 of emimage >>

Sorry bro. I briefly contemplated two, but ultimately pulled the trigger on only one. I would've had no problem shooting one your direction. Next time, next time...

E to a: Thanks Mike!

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    That's great! I can't wait for mine to arrive. Congrats on your new addition.
  • Options
    Just as an update - I have been eyeing their 1980's population, I see BBCE sold out on 1987 Fleer. They were at $26. I expect the next time they get some in they will be in the range $30-$35 each. eBay are typical near $50.
  • Options
    3BoyzTrading3BoyzTrading Posts: 798 ✭✭
    I picked up a couple myself. I looked at the pop reports and dont really see a spike like the 70's in the near future with 82 and up. There is so much out there. I thought about picking up a few McGwire rookie cards but with 47,000 graded, only 10's would be worth it.
  • Options
    I'm waiting till the get some wax boxes of 1984 Fleer. I'm going to pick one of those up.
  • Options
    3BoyzTrading3BoyzTrading Posts: 798 ✭✭
    I take that back on 82 and 83, the prices are going up particularly on Topps.
  • Options
    Topps are going up I think because right now they own the market. And what I mean is they are the only company licensed to make baseball cards officially endorsed by the players and MLB. So I think that is influencing their older stuff as well as "the standard".
  • Options
    Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just as an update - I have been eyeing their 1980's population, I see BBCE sold out on 1987 Fleer. They were at $26. I expect the next time they get some in they will be in the range $30-$35 each. eBay are typical near $50. >>

Seems like any box busted by Reed and Chris on the Beckett videos sells out shortly after video is put out. Happened with '81 Donruss also.
  • Options
    1984 Donruss wax boxes - Sold Out.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1984 Donruss wax boxes - Sold Out. >>

I just noticed that too, I regret not buying one. I hope Steve gets more in.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON