Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Help!! Trolls have taken over my thread! Two Topps Ryan rookies for whomever can get rid of them!

Comments

• Options
    It's hard to do the right thing. I'll pray for Bobby this weekend. I mean it.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's hard to do the right thing. I'll pray for Bobby this weekend. I mean it. >>

Don't speak that which you know nothing of, newbie/troll/whatever you are. The conversation is already over, and you are gossiping after the fact.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    it's almost Halloween, so i purchased my Bobby costume.

i will be trick-or-treating dressed like the superhero known as DefiantMan. image
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I just read this entire thread (I actually purchased the cliff notes off of Amazon as I don't have the time to read the WHOLE thing LOL) and have come to a couple conclusions:

1. Bobby does tend to get the brunt of abuse around here. He's a passionate collector and sometimes it's hard to hear what you don't want to, especially if you have a lot of money wrapped up into a card you thought was something else. Bobby, I think you're a good guy. But sometimes you have to step back and try an unbiased view at things. Being defensive is natural but not always appropriate. In the words of the great Kenny Rogers, "You gotta know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em." Now would be the time to fold 'em. You're drawing dead my friend.
    2. I would have to say that the card in question is a regular Topps card. Thanks for the great information provided in the thread!
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i> "You gotta know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em" >>

The best line in this thread bar none. Great advice that could benefit many areas of ones life. I almost posted the same exact line a few days ago, but I try to stay out of these types of threads most of the time.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't speak that which you know nothing of, newbie/troll/whatever you are. The conversation is already over, and you are gossiping after the fact. >>

Typically, a conversation is considered over when it has a conclusion. I could be mistaken but last time I checked, you believe it's a MB card and the remaining 99% (+/- 1%) say it's a regular issue.

At the end of the day, Bobby, you are your own man and if you don't have a problem with the possible/most likely issues, then so be it. Having said that, if I were in your shoes and saw the *massive* amount of information provided in this thread, I'd discuss my review options with PSA.

But I'm not and again, at the end of the day, it's your decision.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    I'll pray for you Bobby.
  • Options

<< <i>But I'm not and again, at the end of the day, it's your decision. >>

OK...I will explain then.

#1) PSA was contacted about the card and the conerns.
    #2) The auction was closed. The high bidder was disappointed, but I explained what was going on.
    #3) The card has been shipped back to PSA for reholdering, due to the Sticker Residue. Then it will be cofirmed to be either the MB card or the regular issue.

That is where we stand as of 09/07/12.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a solid move!
    Did you put on the invoice this was just for a reholder due to the sticker?
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>#1) PSA was contacted about the card and the conerns. >>

Which concerns? The sticker residue, the card ID, or both?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>Which concerns? The sticker residue, the card ID, or both? >>

Both.
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    Not that I (we) dont believe you but any chance you can post a scan of the invoice? Inquiring minds want to know!!
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    Not that I (we) dont believe you but any chance you can post a scan of the invoice? Inquiring minds want to know!!

Nice way to contradict yourself. So why do you need it then? Dont worry about it.
  • Options

<< <i>Not that I (we) dont believe you but any chance you can post a scan of the invoice? Inquiring minds want to know!! >>

I have one. No you may not see it. This has gone on long enough.
  • Options

<< <i>
    #2) The auction was closed. The high bidder was disappointed, but I explained what was going on.
    #3) The card has been shipped back to PSA for reholdering, due to the Sticker Residue. Then it will be cofirmed to be either the MB card or the regular issue.

That is where we stand as of 09/07/12. rns.
    >>

Way to bounce back bobby! +1 respect
  • Options
    Hey my mind is made up. Don't confuse me with the facts!
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    I think the witch hunt should be over. He has made more than enough effort to correct what PSA might have messed up. Regardless of how many on here feel about the card and about Bobby, I wonder how many would have just let it die down and sell it off under the radar? We will never know.

I will say that going into this thread I was clueless on MB and wouldnt in a million years try to say what his card is or isnt.

I have learned a lot and have since formed my own opinion based on the pictures and info in this thread. In my less than professional opinion the width of the burlap type border is the smoking gun here. It clearly gives a reason to why the centered cards have no white and to how much white will show on the more OC cards.

If nothing else I sure did learn a lot.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    How much money you gonna lose on this ?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Absolutlely zero....it would have brought the same money whether it was a MB card or a Topps card.
    I am not sure what it is going to come back is. It will either be reaffirmed a MB card or it will be put in a Topps regular holder.

Either way, it is around a $300 card. (my estimate)
  • Options
    Did you learn anything new about MB cards from this thread. Sorry you feel attacked but everyone on here was in a way trying to educate you and all of us.
    Did this add anything to your thoughts about MB cards?
  • Options
    The ironic part is.....when I look on Ebay under completed listings and type "Milton Bradley Nolan Ryan PSA", only a few cards come up. Out of the few that came up, only ONE SELLER took a back scan of the card. Care to take a guess who the only seller was to scan the back of the card???? That's right - yours truly!!! I would LOVE to see the color of mine and compare it to the other sellers, but alas, NOONE TOOK A BACK SCAN PICTURE EXCEPT FOR ME!!!!!!! Go freaking figure.....

Edit to add....I stand corrected....autograph guy took a back scan....the other two guys, MIA. You would THINK with a card that is EASILY over $100, they could be bothered with a back scan.....
  • Options

<< <i>The ironic part is.....when I look on Ebay under completed listings and type "Milton Bradley Nolan Ryan PSA", only a few cards come up. Out of the few that came up, only ONE SELLER took a back scan of the card. Care to take a guess who the only seller was to scan the back of the card???? That's right - yours truly!!! I would LOVE to see the color of mine and compare it to the other sellers, but alas, NOONE TOOK A BACK SCAN PICTURE EXCEPT FOR ME!!!!!!! Go freaking figure.....

Edit to add....I stand corrected....autograph guy took a back scan....the other two guys, MIA. You would THINK with a card that is EASILY over $100, they could be bothered with a back scan..... >>

deflection

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something this thread hasn't really discussed definitively is the composition of the Milton Bradley uncut sheet in relation to the Nolan Ryan border dimensions. If there are 131 cards in the set, then there would most likely have been one uncut sheet with one double print. But if for some reason Topps laid the set out over two sheets, or if Nolan Ryan was the double print, then the Nolan Ryan card would have multiple border constructions. Therefore without definitive knowledge about the uncut sheets, there is no way to say definitively that the border dimensions where the white line begins on the Nolan Ryan card is limited to one set of dimensions.

I don't collect these cards and don't have an opinion about the card in question, other than to say I hate those stupid static stickers and think that PSA should be more respectful of its membership when it comes to advertising.

-Nathanael
  • Options
    So you learned that others might be trying to decieve others with this same type of card?
    Edit to add. All 3 of those cards had the proper white line on the front.

Did you learn anything about MBs? Would like to hear your take. If you can become aware on this issue it can only help you save money in the long run If you know what you are doing with this issue.
  • Options
    Oh...the question.....I have learned that noone is 100% sure what constitutes these cards. If my card comes back as NOT being a MB card, then there is no telling how many other cards are erroneously mislabeled. Contrary to popular belief, I really enjoyed this thread. I would like to own a real Ryan rookie and a MB rookie and I would like to see the back color personally in hand so I can educate myself what the difference in color is......
    I am led to believe that the back color is the main factor in determining what IS and what ISN'T a MB card. The white line helps, but is NOT the major factor that I once thought it was....
  • Options
    Do you own any other Nolan ryan 1968 Topps cards at this moment? Or perhaps a card store near you?

Good luck with your quest.

I just hope PSA is aware that this card needs to be looked at for auth. reasons. And not just oh this card needs a new case for damage your company caused. So you still feel its a MB im guessing. Good luck.
  • Options

<< <i>So you still feel its a MB im guessing >>

I don't know....the back color is more yellow than golden.....I put the odds at 60/40, and I am giving the board the edge that it is going to be changed because so many people said that it is a regular issue. Last time I listened to the majority, I changed my pic from the Dallas Cowboys to the New York Giants wedsnesday night.....and you see where that got me. I am definitely interested in what Joe has to say on the review.....Apparently I own ONE Nolan Ryan card....lol....when I get it back, I will know which one it is.....and I would buy a graded one of the other version just so I can see the back,.......

and yes, they are aware of this thread.......I gave them my real name, but they knew who I was by my PSA handle......and they are gonna give the card the look over and decide what this card really is......
  • Options

<< <i>The white line helps, but is NOT the major factor that I once thought it was >>

For OC or MC cards, it seems that the white line would be the ultimate factor due to the width of the burlap border next to the white line. The white line being part of another card.

The only way that it would not would be if Topps printed different variations of the MB sheet with the Ryan card in different positions, next to different cards, but I haven't heard anyone argue that case.

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The card is a Milton Bradley card. I got it right. PSA got it right. I have done nothing but try to help people out on this board. Bottom line, this board sucks. They don't want people to enjoy this hobby. They could give a fuzzy's rats ass about people enjoying this hobby. They would rather slam people and tear people down. What started out as a thread TRYING to help people learn how to get sticker residue off a card turned into a personal attack against me. I am not the only person that will have this problem in the future. New members will have it too - guaranteed. But they will come to the board, and read this crap, and wonder, what in the **** is going on!? People want to bring in doubt the very company that you SUPPOSEDLY support - PSA. Everyone here thinks PSA is the best. Why don't you people prove it. Some of you are nothing but a bunch of G-D hypocrits. Matt Miller was right. I think people should remember the old parable - those that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I doubt very seriously that we have a bunch of saints here. Heavan fordbid I try to own/possess/sale a Milton Bradley baseball card that PSA has graded as such. I have said my peace. I will let the trolls/haters/hypocrits have this thread back. I am done with this crud. >>

Are you sure you enjoyed this thread? image

Im sorry, when you said that you enjoyed this thread I immediately thought of this post and laughed.

In all seriousness, I think the discussions on this thread and the input of other experienced collectors have pretty much slam dunked how to tell a regular topps from a MB. Hope you are not just talking a good game and you really did submit this for review and not just a reholdering. We can only take your word for that. Either way, good luck with the card.
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about this Ryan? It appears to have the same left border construction as Bobby's example that contains the white line, but does not have a similar white border on the edge above the photo that would be necessary to be a MB card with four white borders surrounding the card.

Similarly centered Ryan card on eBay
  • Options
    Check KBs explanation in this thread.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Not that I (we) dont believe you but any chance you can post a scan of the invoice? Inquiring minds want to know!! >>

I have one. No you may not see it. This has gone on long enough. >>

Kinda thought this was going to be your response.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>But I'm not and again, at the end of the day, it's your decision. >>

OK...I will explain then.

That is where we stand as of 09/07/12. >>

Sorry Bobby but #2 is a lie. I know who the high bidder was and you never said a word to him!
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry Bobby but #2 is a lie. I know who the high bidder was and you never said a word to him! >>

I was thinking we were starting to wind down here and might not get to 400, let alone 500. Now I'm a bit more optimistic.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    Barring a catastrophic occurrence such as a lock down or a total zapping.......400 will be attained and 500 is not an impossibility!!!
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I would like to own a real Ryan rookie and a MB rookie and I would like to see the back color personally in hand so I can educate myself what the difference in color is......
    I am led to believe that the back color is the main factor in determining what IS and what ISN'T a MB card. The white line helps, but is NOT the major factor that I once thought it was.... >>

Wait! Didn't you tell us earlier that you're an expert on MB's and have handled more than anyone on these boards? Perhaps comprehension and knowledge retention would be some other areas you may want to address after you conquer your humility...
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Barring a catastrophic occurrence such as a lock down or a total zapping.......400 will be attained and 500 is not an impossibility!!! >>

This thread contains some great info on how to identify MB cards. It's a shame that at this point, posters can't refrain from continuing to attack the original poster, whether they are right, wrong, or indifferent. Is it against human nature to allow the guy to save a little face? I surmise it's not, and that will probably eventually cause this thread to poof along with all the valuable info it contains.

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Barring a catastrophic occurrence such as a lock down or a total zapping.......400 will be attained and 500 is not an impossibility!!! >>

This thread contains some great info on how to identify MB cards. It's a shame that at this point, posters can't refrain from continuing to attack the original poster, whether they are right, wrong, or indifferent. Is it against human nature to allow the guy to save a little face? I surmise it's not, and that will probably eventually cause this thread to poof along with all the valuable info it contains. >>

+1

This thread has great value regarding the Milton cards. Hopefully it will get graded or authenticated correctly if it so deemed not.

Hey Mike replied to your PM
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    Ok..is this one a MB card? The centering on this one looks worse than mine, so that is why he has the white border?

MB card

That is his back....easy to see the white border on the back....

• Options
    Check KBs post about this card.
    Its at the bottom of the TOPPS SHEET which caused the white bar. The white bar is to far away from the image to be a milton B card!!!!!!!
    Get a clue please

The seller did the right thing and also listed it as a Topps card. Not like your link sugests linkng it at a MB.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Regular Topps Issue. Ryan was on the left side of the uncut sheet. As you can see, and has been explained many times, there is very little space for burlap on the MB. If that was an MB, you would see a piece of the other card being that far off center. I dont think what you are getting is that EVERY MB will have the same distance of burlap before it hits the white. This card shows way too much burlap off that border.

• Options
    ok
  • Options
    I'm still waiting to hear why he felt the need to lie about contacting the buyer when it never happened.

Edit for typo
  • Options
    Prayin for ya Bob
  • Options

<< <i>Ok..is this one a MB card? The centering on this one looks worse than mine, so that is why he has the white border? >>

Not MB, just extremely MC. Check KB's post and see the pics of what the back of an extremely miscut MB card would look like from the back.

• Options
    Still waiting Bobby. The silence is amazing on your part. Once again I will ask why you felt the need to lie and say you contacted the high bidder at the time you ended the auction. I have talked to him and that never happened.
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Still waiting Bobby. The silence is amazing on your part. Once again I will ask why you felt the need to lie and say you contacted the high bidder at the time you ended the auction. I have talked to him and that never happened. >>

I have always tried to give Bobby the benefit of the doubt when reading his posts. Sadly this thread is enough to make me want to just steer clear of ever dealing with him.

Unless he posts the invoice showing that he asked for something more than just a reholder to be done I am with the rest of you that he is B.S.ing us just like he did about contacting the high bidder.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    NYY and KB---appreciated your input in this thread. There is a 2nd MB thread started after this one, as a spoof I think, but take a look at the link in the 4th post in that thread and tell me what you think about the Yellow Mantle on that link
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al