Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Help!! Trolls have taken over my thread! Two Topps Ryan rookies for whomever can get rid of them!

Comments

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    The card pictured in the listing is not a Milton Bradley card. The mesh pattern to the left of Koosman only runs about 1/16" until the white border of the football card starts. The mesh pattern on Bobby's card is at least 1/4" thick to the left of Koosman so it is not a Milton Bradley card. The color of the back is obviously not the yellow or toned but still yellow that you see on a Milton Bradley. It's not a Milton Bradely card.

Please Bobby. Instead of arguing about this please take the time to look into the card you have and do the right thing. If you know Milton Bradley Ryan cards you know they pretty much have to very well centered dead on left to right or you will have white borders on the left or right side. Simply go to VCP and look at the pictures of other Ryans that Beckett and PSA have graded. Every card off center to the right like yours has a white border on the left side starting after about 1/16" of mesh. If the card is off center to the left then there's a white border on the right. Just because PSA labeled your card incorrectly doesn't mean it's okay to sell it as a Milton Bradley card. It should be returned to PSA and corrected.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    For those that don't know the difference.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options

<< <i>The WD40 worked....as long as I keep a light coating of it on the case. Just trying to help people out.....although I doubt the trolls actually submit cards to PSA, as they probably can't afford to join. >>

And you wonder why nobody likes you. Any time someone peepees in your Cheerios you jump in with how rich and awesome you are and the only insult you can think of is to call everyone else poor.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    KB, I can promise you that I have handled more Milton Bradley Ryan cards than you. You obviously don't like me, and are proving that right now. But the card IS a Milton Bradley rookie card and PSA correctly graded it as such. Now, please - enough with the hatred of me. You have gone over the top in your hatred of me. I have turned the other cheek time and time again with dealing with you - no more.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Bobby, you may have some history w/ kb that most of us aren't aware of, but nothing in the last two posts he made reflect any so-called "hatred". Seems to me like his posts are pretty darn educational. I learned something, anyway - especially coupled with DavidPuddy's pictures.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭

<< <i>Bobby, you may have some history w/ kb that most of us aren't aware of, but nothing in the last two posts he made reflect any so-called "hatred". Seems to me like his posts are pretty darn educational. I learned something, anyway - especially coupled with DavidPuddy's pictures. >>

My take exactly when reading the posts. Thanks to both KB and DavidPuddy for taking the time to educate some of us that werent aware of the differences.
  • Options

<< <i>Seems to me like his posts are pretty darn educational. >>

Seems to me like my post was pretty educational too. I told everyone what to look for.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Seems to me like his posts are pretty darn educational. >>

Seems to me like my post was pretty educational too. I told everyone what to look for. >>

I didn't learn a thing about cards from your post. I did learn how to make a bunch of look at me responses. So thanks.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I still would like to know what you WIPED with....

Good for you.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DavidPuddy... I'm just curious and by no means a card expert...not even close. So please help me understand something- what's the diff between the MB and the regular Topps card in your Reggie Smith examples? From looking at the images provided I only see slight centering differences and a minor color difference... how can one conclusively say that's the MB and not a color/centering variant of a regular Topps card? Or is there something else I'm missing?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    I have no hatred towards you. You obviously didn't bother looking at all the pictures on VCP or you would not still be stubbornly arguing about this. Post the enlarged scans you have on Ebay in a separate thread on CU and Net54 and ask for opinions on whether or not your card is a Milton Bradley. The response from people experienced with Nolan Ryan Milton Bradley cards will confirm that your card is not a Milton Bradley. PSA made a labeling mistake, that is all. Simply get it fixed and sell it as a regular card.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    walk away...walk away...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

<< <i>DavidPuddy... I'm just curious and by no means a card expert...not even close. So please help me understand something- what's the diff between the MB and the regular Topps card in your Reggie Smith examples? From looking at the images provided I only see slight centering differences and a minor color difference... how can one conclusively say that's the MB and not a color/centering variant of a regular Topps card? Or is there something else I'm missing? >>

In hand the "Orange" of the regular Topps back is deeper and darker than in the scan. My scanner lightened the back quite a bit.
    There is a significant difference in the two colors.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options

<< <i>The response from people experienced with Nolan Ryan Milton Bradley cards will confirm that your card is not a Milton Bradley >>

Are you discounting my experience with Milton Bradley Ryan rookie cards? I bet I have bought and sold more MB Ryan rookies than most people on here.
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For those that don't know the difference.

image >>

Thanks for this info,very helpfull.I picked up on what KB was saying,and seeing the pic just really
    helped out,thanks for the good info guys,lesson learned for me today.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    DavidPuddy... I'm just curious and by no means a card expert...not even close. So please help me understand something- what's the diff between the MB and the regular Topps card in your Reggie Smith examples? From looking at the images provided I only see slight centering differences and a minor color difference... how can one conclusively say that's the MB and not a color/centering variant of a regular Topps card? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Milton Bradley cards have a distinctly different yellower ink on the back than their Topps counterparts. You can have cards that are dirty or toned, but the color you see will still be an off yellow rather than off orange like the regular card.

Milton Bradley cards were printed on their own sheet, along with Topps Football and non-sport cards. The card to the left of Koosman is a football card and there's only about 1/16" of an inch of mesh pattern to the left of Koosman. Most of the time when you see a Milton Bradley Ryan it's off center to the right like Bobby's so it's very easy to tell a Milton Bradley card from the front based on what you see on the left side. If there's about a 1/4" width of mesh pattern to the left of Koosman and the card has an orange back it's a regular Topps card. If there's only about 1/16" of mesh pattern until the sharp white border starts, and the card has a yellow back, then it's a Milton Bradley.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The response from people experienced with Nolan Ryan Milton Bradley cards will confirm that your card is not a Milton Bradley >>

Are you discounting my experience with Milton Bradley Ryan rookie cards? I bet I have bought and sold more MB Ryan rookies than most people on here. >>

We are lowly peasants without the means to purchase such a fancy item. Please enlighten us more.
  • Options
    Are you discounting my experience with Milton Bradley Ryan rookie cards? I bet I have bought and sold more MB Ryan rookies than most people on here.

I'm sure you've bought and sold real Milton Bradley cards before but the card in question isn't a Milton Bradley card. You obviously own the card and want it to be the more valuable Milton Bradley card, but it's not. You might have paid a premium thinking it's a Milton Bradley card, but it's not. Please take the time to think about what I wrote, look at all the pictures on VCP, and post your enlarged scans on CU an Net54. This should convince you a mistake was made calling it a Milton Bradley. The mistake wasn't intentional, but the refusal to recognize that you possibly made a mistake here is wrong.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I don't get how both of these could be the Milton Bradley version.
    (the top one is Bobby's)
    link to bigger pics than below
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    You know what, they know this happens! I had the same thing qhappen quite a while back and emailed them explaining the damage their stickers cause. If they are still using them, well , its not because they don't know. I hate stickers and tape, yet most sellers continue to use!
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I'm completely impartial here, but I took the back scan of the Ryan and a back scan of a 68 Bob Gibson that Bobby just sold and here is a comparison of the color:

imageimage

and a closeup of both back colors blown up for comparison:

Hate to break it to you Bobby, but that's pretty much the exact same color. If there is typically any color difference between the MB and Topps backs, your 'MB' isn't showing it.

Lee

edit: This is assuming you don't mess with the color in your scans.
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, I don't get how both of these could be the Milton Bradley version. >>

They both have the white line. The white line isn't always the same thickness everytime. Sometimes it is subtle. As long as you see some white there, then you know it is a MB. Shoot, I have even seen some labeled MB with NO WHITE on the side. Now how is that possible??

Nice scan Lee. Like I said before, the difference is usually subtle. Those two back scans you showed me do not appear to be the same color.

Here is the side scan of the card. A true Topps card would be mesh from one side to the other. The presence of white means the card is Milton Bradley. The line is NOT always clean and distinct. Sometimes it is subtle. The white line has varying lengths of "thickness".

• Options
    I get it. It is a trimmed MB card. He cut off the rest of the white part.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW I see a difference in those colors. Ryan is yellow. Gibson has a touch of orange in it. Plus if I tilt my head and use the part of my glasses that are not the bifocal for up close the orange is more apparent. Really.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    I will show some pics....since everyone else likes them so much......

Not quite sure where the white line is on this one, but ok....

Nice distinct line on the opposite side....

Ryan
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Bobby says: The presence of white means the card is Milton Bradley. The line is NOT always clean and distinct. Sometimes it is subtle. The white line has varying lengths of "thickness".

Try again.
  • Options
    One man's MB white border is another man's edge wear. To my eye, Bobby's alleged MB has a pretty soft-looking left edge.

JMO
  • Options
    No offense Lee but did you even click on the link I posted?? I showed a card that had no white border that was a Milton bradley. At least mine has as subtle trace of white.

Here...I will repost the scan because I guess you missed it.....

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a PSA 8 OC that had the same line as Bobbys. Mine was also a regular issue card. I think bobbys card is also a mis lable and the line on his is due to being so OC. It also isnt a smoth straight white line and looks to be splotchy like a print defect.
  • Options
    Good call KB. And it appears that someone may have altered Bobby's card in an attempt to create a white line. The white on the Koosman edge looks like wear, and it seems to be intentional wear as the wear is inconsistent with the other edges. Possibly filed to appear like a Milton Bradley.
  • Options
    Or maybe it is a splotchy print defect. Either way, it's not a Milton Bradley card.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    If you enlarge Bobbyw's card, the white line doesnt run the entire length as consistently milton bradley's do. I think its either bad printing OR someone took an eraser to it so they could make it look like a milton bradley and PSA really dropped the ball on this card x 2.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Erasing is not a strange thing to cards....its commonly done on cards that have been trimmed to make them appear untrimmed - normally cards with white borders, especially 50s issues
  • Options
    Not uncommon to see the white line disappear....check out this 6.5 please.....

• Options
    that one has a tilt. Yours shouldnt just disapear. Might want to send that one back for a second opinion.
    Being that much OC I would think the line would be much bigger than just at the tip edge of it. Its also not a solid line which draws red flags. You should send it to PSA to buy back.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    This one now has potential, I'll still defer to Bobby.

<pours gas on fire icon>

Good for you.
  • Options
    That's ok winpitcher.....it's so much easier for the natives of Salem to douse me with flames and set me on fire. Since that is what made PSA such a funnnnnnnnnnnnnnn board to be on. You sure you want to side with me?? And you too Brick - how DARE you say those two cards have different colors!! The natives don't like that!
  • Options
    ......oh....yea.......that 6.5 has a tilt.....and my 7 (mc) doesn't....how silly of me.....lol...methinks you need to check out some pics again......I did show nice scans after all....
  • Options
    you seem to have your mind made up. I really dont care. You card does not look 100% legit. Do what you want.
  • Options

<< <i>Not uncommon to see the white line disappear....check out this 6.5 please.....

image >>

I clearly see a white line all the way across despite the tilt. What else you got?
  • Options
    hdunkhdunk Posts: 76 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>DavidPuddy... I'm just curious and by no means a card expert...not even close. So please help me understand something- what's the diff between the MB and the regular Topps card in your Reggie Smith examples? From looking at the images provided I only see slight centering differences and a minor color difference... how can one conclusively say that's the MB and not a color/centering variant of a regular Topps card? Or is there something else I'm missing? >>

In hand the "Orange" of the regular Topps back is deeper and darker than in the scan. My scanner lightened the back quite a bit.
    There is a significant difference in the two colors. >>

This may have been covered in this thread or other threads about Milton Bradley cards so forgive me if this is redunant. If you want to see the difference get a regular 1968 Topps baseball card and a 1967 Topps Football card.

The Milton Bradley baseball cards have the color shade of yellow as the 1967 Topps football card instead of the shade of yellow of a regular 1968 Topps baseball card.

Topps printed sheets for the Win-a-Card game that contained the football and baseball cards and the Car cards. You see white showing on the baseball cards that are off center that is the border of the football card. You also see 1967 Topps football cards that off center enough that was printed for the Win-a-Card game with the brown mesh from the baseball card. See EBAY item #271049750042.

Due to the card's placement on the sheet the white line is not a gaurantee it is a Milton Bradley. If the regular baseball card was printed on the edge the white line can be visible as a Topps card and is not a MB card.

In addition, from my experience I believe all 1968 Topps Ed Brinkman and Casey Cox yellow team variations are simply MB cards. I have never seen a yellow variation of those two cards that did not have a MB/1967 Topps football yellow back. I received the MB Win-a-Card game as a gift from my aunt in 1968 and the Brinkman & Cox yellow variations were in the game. If others have the yellow variations with normal 1968 Topps baseball color backs please let me know.

So to summerize if you are confused if a 1968 Topps baseball card is a MB simply get a 1967 Topps football card and compare the color to it.
  • Options
    I'm reminded of something my friend Nick said once to another poster here:

"...someone just say he's right so he shuts up and goes away."

Here's to you, Nick. Bobby, you're right.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Yawn...
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    the gang is all here!!!

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Yep Swartz....I wouldn't have it no other way.....I could tell everyone the sky was Carolina Blue when I looked up at it this morning, and I can name about 8 people to say "No....you are wrong....the sky was green"......I love it!!!!!!
  • Options
    Bobby, on the Milton Bradley sheet, there is a white bordered card next to the Koosman side and also a white bordered card next to the Ryan side. The amount of burlap border between the Koosman and the white card is always going to be the same size. The amount of burlap border between the Ryan and the white card is always going to be the same size. The cards are all cut differently from the sheets but the sheets are all printed the same. On a Milton Bradley card, there is never going to be a burlap border as large as the burlap border on the Koosman side of yours. Look at other examples, and then do the right thing.
  • Options

<< <i>Yep Swartz....I wouldn't have it no other way.....I could tell everyone the sky was Carolina Blue when I looked up at it this morning, and I can name about 8 people to say "No....you are wrong....the sky was green"......I love it!!!!!! >>

Yawn...
  • Options

<< <i>Bobby, on the Milton Bradley sheet, there is a white bordered card next to the Koosman side and also a white bordered card next to the Ryan side. The amount of burlap border between the Koosman and the white card is always going to be the same size. The amount of burlap border between the Ryan and the white card is always going to be the same size. The cards are all cut differently from the sheets but the sheets are all printed the same. On a Milton Bradley card, there is never going to be a burlap border as large as the burlap border on the Koosman side of yours. Look at other examples, and then do the right thing. >>

Exactly! However, the sky is blue!!!
  • Options
    I was wrong. Im a moron and the sky is blue.
  • Options
    Isn't this the dude that subbed a 55 Mays about 42 times knowing it's trimmed but finally got it in a holder and bragged about it?