Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Help!! Trolls have taken over my thread! Two Topps Ryan rookies for whomever can get rid of them!

This is the weirdest thing I have ever seen. Everyone knows that PSA puts that Memory Lane sticker on one of the cards that people send in to them. Well, when I pulled the sticker off, it left some kind of weird residue behind. I tried goof off (the water based kind) to remove it, but that didn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have included a scan of the card, and I know it is hard to see, but it is there....

Comments

• Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Rubbing alcohol or bestine
  • Options
    Goo Gone is pretty amazing. Sorry to hear that Bobby
  • Options
    You'd be amazed at the power of WD40. If that doesn't work - I don't know what will. Spray the WD40 on a paper towel and use the towel to rub off the goo - I've done it many times & it works great!!! Spraying it on the case would make a mess - use it on a durable paper towel.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    send it back for reholdering and tell them not to put that crap on your holders.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    The WD40 worked (sorta)!!! I always thought Goof Off was the best. I knew enough not to use the petroleum based Goof Off (sorta like lighter fluid) as I have had that stuff damage the case. It turned it a nice cloudy look. I can still see faint traces of the sticker, but it is nowhere near as bad as it was.
  • Options
    I knew they had been putting those Memory Lane spam stickers on the subs for awhile now, but I have never had one damage a card. Either the stickers got cheaper or the cases got cheaper. When I tilt the card in the light a certain way, you can still see traces of the sticker. Nowhere near as bad before the WD40, but it isn't totally gone.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    I've always heard , there nothing in life that duct tape can't fix .Just think about it .

And while your thinking about it , try AFTA .------ Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pure alcohol works well, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pure alcohol works well, too. >>

How many shots?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Pure alcohol works well, too. >>

How many shots? >>

As many as it takes..image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    are you sure the WD40 won't leach onto the card? Even with glass fishtanks you have to be careful what you use to clean the outside of the glass since it can leach thru and poison the fish and corals. I'd be very careful using a solvent as strong as bestine or wd40 or goof off in case it eventually damages the card.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Brasso clears up cases very well, I wasn't a believer until I tried it.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>send it back for reholdering and tell them not to put that crap on your holders. >>

This. Why sit back and accept PSA damaging what you paid for?

Tabe
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭

when did PSA start labeling the milton bradley version?
  • Options
    Not sure when they started, but I have seen several on Ebay now.....
  • Options
    Terrible luck! I feel for ya
  • Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    3M™ General Purpose Adhesive Remover is what I use to get the residue left when removing damaged boat registration letters and numbers. Says its good on acrylic.
  • Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Nail polish remover should do it.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Try some 3-in-1 Oil an some gauze pads

Seriously, I hate those stickers
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Really surprised that a static cling item would cause that (it isn't a sticker and has no adhesive). Was it left in extreme heat? I've never had an issue with the advertising pieces other than the annoyance of having to take them off.
  • Options
    No...it was not left in extreme heat. I pull them off as soon as I see them on the card. The only thing I can think of, is maybe they tried to cheap them out and switched out the way they made them?? Sorta like if you look at pics of the PSA cases when they cheaped those out and they had that "wavy" look to them that shows up when you scan them??? I am just guessing here....
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Really surprised that a static cling item would cause that (it isn't a sticker and has no adhesive). Was it left in extreme heat? I've never had an issue with the advertising pieces other than the annoyance of having to take them off. >>

On a sub maybe 2 months ago I had to do a LIGHT cleaning of the surface because it left a residue.
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Was it a static cling or a sticker with sticky stuff on back?

On all price tag residue, I always use Zippo lighter fluid. Put a bit on the corner of a folded paper towel and rub with your finger. Never had an issue and always gets it off completely.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    Hard to describe....it is like a vinyl plastic that you are supposed to be able to remove without losing it's stickiness. I don't think it is static cling, and it is not exactly a sticker either.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Really surprised that a static cling item would cause that >>

I'm even more surprised that someone needs to even ask a question like this.

Good for you.
  • Options
    Those Memory Lane things on the slabs are harmless. Likely just another attack-a-dealer-I'm-jealous-of thread from Bobby.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Those Memory Lane things on the slabs are harmless. Likely just another attack-a-dealer-I'm-jealous-of thread from Bobby. >>

Once again, I have to agree with Levi.
  • Options
    See evidence on page 1 of thread please. Scan included. Ok...now back to the trolling....Nam, Maurice....carry on.....
  • Options
    PS - I actually like Memory Lane. Unlike some of you trolls, I can say that I have consigned with them and won from them and have always been pleased with their service. How many of you can say that?? Bueller?? Bueller??
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    one of the worst performances of your career and we never doubted it for a second.
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PS - I actually like Memory Lane. Unlike some of you trolls, I can say that I have consigned with them and won from them and have always been pleased with their service. How many of you can say that?? Bueller?? Bueller?? >>

I can say Levi gave me 40% of a card recently,dont make it trueimage
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    Card has been cleaned troll....Or do you not look on Ebay....lol
  • Options
    In the time it took me to type this response I could have cleaned it off already without spending 5 days talking about it.
  • Options
    And chances are you would have used the wrong thing and damaged the case. bobbyw8469=2, troll=0.
  • Options

<< <i>And chances are you would have used the wrong thing and damaged the case. bobbyw8469=2, troll=0. >>

No I would have used common sense or Google. Troll=0, Me=2
  • Options

<< <i>In the time it took me to type this response I could have cleaned it off already without spending 5 days talking about it. >>

Of course you could have done that but that would defeat the purpose of this thread. Bobby is killing 2 birds with 1 stone here. He's doing his 2 favorite things: taking shots at a dealer that is far more successful than he is, and pimping his card on the main forum.
  • Options
    How long before nam812 claims I'm JP?
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How long before nam812 claims I'm JP? >>

Jake Plummer? Jason Priestly? Joe Paterno? Jimmy Page? James Polk? Joe Pesci? Judas Priest?
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>In the time it took me to type this response I could have cleaned it off already without spending 5 days talking about it. >>

Of course you could have done that but that would defeat the purpose of this thread. Bobby is killing 2 birds with 1 stone here. He's doing his 2 favorite things: taking shots at a dealer that is far more successful than he is, and pimping his card on the main forum. >>

image Think you forgot checkmate.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How long before nam812 claims I'm JP? >>

Nope, still Levi.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Bobby - try a little nail polish remover...

dont mind the distractions...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    The WD40 worked....as long as I keep a light coating of it on the case. Just trying to help people out.....although I doubt the trolls actually submit cards to PSA, as they probably can't afford to join.
  • Options
    Did you wipe it with toilet paper?
    Good for you.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    He doesn't make enough money on his flips to afford that luxury. And for what it's worth, the card in question is not a Milton Bradley card.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/180964423392
    PSA mislabeled the card and it should be sent back for correction. A Milton Bradley card off center that much must have a white border to the left of Koosman. The white border is from the Football card that was printed next to Ryan on the Milton Bradley sheet.

Here's a thread showing a Milton Bradley card. The back is also much more yellow than a regular issue card. Shades can be hard to tell from scans but the picture of the back in the Ebay listing is clearly not a Milton Bradley.
    http://64.94.212.253/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=689033&STARTPAGE=1
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    ZING! image
  • Options
    KB Cards is a hater. He has hated me from the get go and that is ok. Miserable people feel the need to better themselves at the expense of others. And if you can't see the white border on the edge of that card, then you are as blind as a bat. Card labeled accurately!
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Actually, I thought the milton bradly has much different color yellow than the card in question. Are you SURE it's not mislabeled? If someone tried to sell that to me as a Milton Bradley, I would pass.
  • Options

<< <i>Actually, I thought the milton bradly has much different color yellow than the card in question. Are you SURE it's not mislabeled? If someone tried to sell that to me as a Milton Bradley, I would pass >>

The difference in back colors are orange vs. yellow, but the change is so subtle that most people can't tell the difference. The easiest way to tell is the presence of a white border on one side of the card. The border would either be on Ryan's side or Koosman's side. A normal Topps would have no white present, while the Milton Bradley has white on the side. The border can either be thick or thin.l
  • Options
    One thing about Bobby he has sold more than a few MB Ryans.

I'd defer to him. Again, what did you wipe off the solvent with?

Good for you.
  • Options
    WD40. It worked well.