Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Help!! Trolls have taken over my thread! Two Topps Ryan rookies for whomever can get rid of them!

Comments

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So that means the gibson is a milton bradley. Wow that is awesome!!
    POP 1of1 right there!!
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Using the program "Color Detector", the colors given are:

Ryan: 253/192/77 (R/G/B)
    Gibson: 253/190/84 (R/G/B)

In other words, they're pretty much exactly the same.

Offdahook
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Please mock me. >>

Thank you for your referral to Bobby for his expertise in MB cards image
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So that means the gibson is a milton bradley. Wow that is awesome!!
    POP 1of1 right there!! >>

Well, that's one way to spin it image

Tabe
  • Options
    auction was ended. Looks like bobby is doing the right thing at this time.
    Thumbs up.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>from urbandictionary.com

1. Adjective, noun: The polar opposite of offdahook. A person or thing of low quality. A very unprofessional individual.
    2. A mildly annoying or incompetent individual; not quite a jacka**.
    3. Someone who's just a dummy; a bit of a jacka**, one level short of being a TOTAL jacka**.
    4. underground hand rock drill
    5. A term used to describe a loved one when they are being a jacka**
    6. *not appropriate*

Lee, in conclusion, I believe Bobby is referring to either #4 or 5 when thinking of you. I'm leaning towards #5. >>

Lee is clearly 1, 2, 3 and 6. Not 5. Occasionally 4.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>auction was ended. Looks like bobby is doing the right thing at this time.
    Thumbs up. >>

Nobody gets a thumbs up if they have to be shamed into doing the right thing.

• Options
    auction was ended. Looks like bobby is doing the right thing at this time.

Bobby, I honestly dont think you were out to cheat anyone intentionally, we just dont want to see another collector cheated out of what they think theyre purchasing when it may not be. You did the right thing. Props
  • Options
    But what if it really is a Milton bradely??
    Then what do we do?
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Then we collectively or individually apologize. I will certainly do so if that happens. That begs the next question - will Bobby do likewise if it comes back as a regular Topps issue?
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    well, if i'm PSA, i'm just tickled that all the negative attention has been deflected away from my dumb sticker. image
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    I will apologize directly to Bobby if this comes back as a true MB. My only worry is that he will crack and resubmit and state "MB" on the submission sheet and this will once again be overlooked at PSA. I hope after this PSA will take a very close look at any card that comes in with the Milton Bradley designation and certify that it is indeed a MB.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    I was joking. But Yes I would also apoligize. But I feel that has a 0% chance with all the facts on the table.

But I still give a thumbs up for ending the auction.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Then we collectively or individually apologize. I will certainly do so if that happens. That begs the next question - will Bobby do likewise if it comes back as a regular Topps issue? >>

+1
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    If it doesnt come back good, then I think Bobby needs to admit his ignorance and error on this matter - just as individuals are stepping up now and saying that they will apologize if it comes back as possibly the worst looking MB card ever lol. I beleive in being fair.
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    Based on this thread, I am casting Joe Orlando in the Lauren Holly role

Bobby: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you, Joe. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
    Joe: Not good.
    Bobby: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
    Joe: I'd say more like one out of a million.

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Based on this thread, I am casting Joe Orlando in the Lauren Holly role

Bobby: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you, Joe. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
    Joe: Not good.
    Bobby: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
    Joe: I'd say more like one out of a million.

image >>

The disappointing part is, the one in a million already happened with the original grade. PSA should be better than that.
  • Options

<< <i>The disappointing part is, the one in a million already happened with the original grade. PSA should be better than that. >>

unless I missed it, I don't know if Bobby ever shared when his card was graded. It has already been established that up to a point in time PSA labeled them all as a regular Topps issue. If this was one of the first cards labeled as a MB, it may be that the graders just weren't that knowledgeable about the issue yet.

Suffice it to say, if they aren't expert on MBs yet, all they need to do is wade through this thread. That, or consult any one of the new experts this thread has created. I went from having only heard about MBs and knowing nothing else about them to knowing exactly what to look for, at least as it pertains to the Ryan/Kooan rookie.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    The Topps Nolan Ryan card was a multiple print card on production sheets. The location of one was in the bottom left corner and that is why you sometimes see what Bobby is seeing on his badly off-center card. The "whiteness" Bobby is starting to see is just the ink of the mesh pattern stopping on a Topps card. It's a Topps card because of the 1/4" wide mesh pattern as opposed to the much more narrow 1/16" on a Milton Bradley, plus the fact that it has the distinct orange back.

Right now there just so happens to be an even better example of what a badly miscut Topps card like Bobby's looks like on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261094190572

If you look at the enlarged pictures you can see the same shaky transition to the white area as Bobby's card after about 1/4" of the mesh border. The back is also clearly the orange of a regular Topps card. Another point to look at is on the back at the very bottom. On Bobby's card on the back at the bottom right you can see the start of the no ink area going all the way to the right edge. On the card currently on Ebay you see the line much better because of the poorer centering, but it clearly goes all the way to the right edge. If you look at the back scan I posted previously of the miscut Milton Bradley card you can clearly see that the line at the bottom from the top of the football card does not go all the way to the right edge.

Perhaps the card in the listing above will make it clearer for Bobby to understand why his card and that card are not Milton Bradleys. The location of one of his Topps cards was the bottom left corner of the sheet and when miscut enough even a Topps card will start showing right at the left or top edge. The 1/4" thickness of the mesh to the left however, and the distinct orange back, will always make it a Topps card.
  • Options
    Well done sir!!
    This suports KBs theory on the sheet.
    1968 Sheet
    sheet
  • Options
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thank you for your referral to Bobby for his expertise in MB cards >>

Ummm I didn't 'referral' anything, I 'deferred'.

Good for you.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Which is why putting the whole set together is such a challenge --Ryan X 74. Although complete game boxes with all the game cards can be found ... for $5-6 K image
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    PeteZaria, there's a lot of good info in this thread. The picture that you posted could get the thread deleted.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maurice - I guess I would need to take the blame if the thread goes poof. It was my request image
    Daniel
  • Options

<< <i>PeteZaria, there's a lot of good info in this thread. The picture that you posted could get the thread deleted. >>

agreed - that picture used to be ok before, but those days are gone. I'd hate to see this thread go away for that one picture. Regardless of the ultimate train wreck it became, the thread was extremely informative. I learned quite a bit.
  • Options

<< <i>PeteZaria, there's a lot of good info in this thread. The picture that you posted could get the thread deleted. >>

I deleted it just in case, but it was posted so many times and I don't think any of those threads were deleted.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Levi.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    But what about the static cling advertising piece that Bobby insists is a sticker? I don't understand why this thread can't stay on topic...
  • Options
    Hi, I'm new to this message post(I was just referred because I have a 1968 Topps #110 Hank Aaron M.B. PSA 3 card on ebay) and I was amazed at the amount of information on M.B. cards. I have been aggressively buying & selling 1968 Topps M.B. cards for the last three years and I have submitted over 175 M.B.(baseball/football/hot rod) cards to PSA including several #177 Ryan RC's. Currently there are 313 PSA Baseball, 95 Football & 31 Hot Rod M.B. cards in the PSA population. There are only two PSA M.B. Registered sets(one 80% complete & the other only 6% complete). There are only three PSA 9's and just over 50 PSA 8's. These cards are very difficult to find in any condition, let alone high grade because they were part of a game"1968 Milton Bradley Win A Card" and they were handled frequently as part of playing the game. I am posting this message to let others know of my experience with M.B. cards, so as to educate any one that might be interested in trying to collect this set. In addition, I have over 50 Graded Baseball & Football M.B. cards(PSA 3-PSA 7) that are available for sale. Send PM. Anyway here is my experience:
    1. Not all M.B. baseball cards have the white edge/border displayed on the front of the card(some 68' Topps appear to have the white edge/border, but
    under close inspection it's not the M.B. version).
    2. ALL M.B. cards have the "cheesier yellow" back versus the traditional gold color. The two 1968 Master set variation cards of Ed Brinkman and
    Casey Cox "yellow team letters" are in fact M.B. cards.
    3. Numerous M.B. cards are way off center or miscut. In addition, numerous cards(#113 Tiger Rookies) do not meet minimum size requirements
    for PSA grading standards. These cards are not trimmed or altered(you can tell by the rough cut edges), but they don't measure up. Card
    #156 World Series-Petrocelli has never been graded(I've submitted four different ones) because of the size requirement.
    4. PSA has become educated on these cards, but I like to include a regular issue 1968 Topps card with my subs, so the graders can see the
    different back color.
    5. You can look at scans of the back, but depending on the scan quality, you sometimes can't tell for sure if it's a M.B. card until you have it
    in hand.
    6. M.B. football(1967) cards are easier to distinguish because a majority of them have some of the brown bordering from the '68 Baseball
    cards on the front,BUT NOT ALL. Again, the back color is the true test.
    7.There are numerous M.B. PSA cards that have been graded, but before PSA recognized the M.B. version, therefore they are not labeled as
    such.
    8. I have been buying/selling these cards for three years and I'm still not an expert.

I hope this helps. Please ask any questions or let me know if I missed something. Before I forget, I mean this as no disrespect, and it's only
    my opinion, but the Ryan RC in question appears not to be a M.B. card-forget about the front-the back is the determiner. Again, based on
    the scan quality it appears to have the traditional back. I have had a PSA 4/5/7 Ryan graded in the M.B. version. Thank You for taking the
    time to read.......

Mystery Card Shopper
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    great post
  • Options
    NYY Collector...that is what I call a quality post. Thank you for the information
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the post! Very informative from someone who has (also) handled many MB.
  • Options

<< <i>Hi, I'm new to this message post(I was just referred because I have a 1968 Topps #110 Hank Aaron M.B. PSA 3 card on ebay) and I was amazed at the amount of information on M.B. cards. I have been aggressively buying & selling 1968 Topps M.B. cards for the last three years and I have submitted over 175 M.B.(baseball/football/hot rod) cards to PSA including several #177 Ryan RC's. Currently there are 313 PSA Baseball, 95 Football & 31 Hot Rod M.B. cards in the PSA population. There are only two PSA M.B. Registered sets(one 80% complete & the other only 6% complete). There are only three PSA 9's and just over 50 PSA 8's. These cards are very difficult to find in any condition, let alone high grade because they were part of a game"1968 Milton Bradley Win A Card" and they were handled frequently as part of playing the game. I am posting this message to let others know of my experience with M.B. cards, so as to educate any one that might be interested in trying to collect this set. In addition, I have over 50 Graded Baseball & Football M.B. cards(PSA 3-PSA 7) that are available for sale. Send PM. Anyway here is my experience:
    1. Not all M.B. baseball cards have the white edge/border displayed on the front of the card(some 68' Topps appear to have the white edge/border, but
    2. ALL M.B. cards have the "cheesier yellow" back versus the traditional gold color. The two 1968 Master set variation cards of Ed Brinkman and
    3. Numerous M.B. cards are way off center or miscut. In addition, numerous cards(#113 Tiger Rookies) do not meet minimum size requirements
    for PSA grading standards. These cards are not trimmed or altered(you can tell by the rough cut edges), but they don't measure up. Card
    #156 World Series-Petrocelli has never been graded(I've submitted four different ones) because of the size requirement.
    4. PSA has become educated on these cards, but I like to include a regular issue 1968 Topps card with my subs, so the graders can see the
    different back color.
    5. You can look at scans of the back, but depending on the scan quality, you sometimes can't tell for sure if it's a M.B. card until you have it
    in hand.
    6. M.B. football(1967) cards are easier to distinguish because a majority of them have some of the brown bordering from the '68 Baseball
    7.There are numerous M.B. PSA cards that have been graded, but before PSA recognized the M.B. version, therefore they are not labeled as
    such.
    8. I have been buying/selling these cards for three years and I'm still not an expert.

I hope this helps. Please ask any questions or let me know if I missed something. Before I forget, I mean this as no disrespect, and it's only
    my opinion, but the Ryan RC in question appears not to be a M.B. card-forget about the front-the back is the determiner. Again, based on
    the scan quality it appears to have the traditional back. I have had a PSA 4/5/7 Ryan graded in the M.B. version. Thank You for taking the
    time to read....... >>

sorry, say again please ? didn't catch it. (any post over an inch long is by a dude that has toooo much time on his hands, like that 'objectivity' freak who couldn't, in a crisis, anser a question in less that 10 minutes)
  • Options
    Thank You. I forgot to mention the set composition consists of 76-1968 Topps Baseball cards(#'s range from 7-195), 33-1967 Topps Football, and 22-1965 Topps Hot Rod cards for a total of 131. 131 of the hardest cards you will ever try to locate as a group in nice condition. Especially difficult are the Hot Rod cards(only 31 graded to date).
    Mystery Card Shopper
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hi, I'm new to this message post(I was just referred because I have a 1968 Topps #110 Hank Aaron M.B. PSA 3 card on ebay) and I was amazed at the amount of information on M.B. cards. I have been aggressively buying & selling 1968 Topps M.B. cards for the last three years and I have submitted over 175 M.B.(baseball/football/hot rod) cards to PSA including several #177 Ryan RC's. Currently there are 313 PSA Baseball, 95 Football & 31 Hot Rod M.B. cards in the PSA population. There are only two PSA M.B. Registered sets(one 80% complete & the other only 6% complete). There are only three PSA 9's and just over 50 PSA 8's. These cards are very difficult to find in any condition, let alone high grade because they were part of a game"1968 Milton Bradley Win A Card" and they were handled frequently as part of playing the game. I am posting this message to let others know of my experience with M.B. cards, so as to educate any one that might be interested in trying to collect this set. In addition, I have over 50 Graded Baseball & Football M.B. cards(PSA 3-PSA 7) that are available for sale. Send PM. Anyway here is my experience:
    different back color.
    in hand.
    such.

time to read....... >>

sorry, say again please ? didn't catch it. (any post over an inch long is by a dude that has toooo much time on his hands, like that 'objectivity' freak who couldn't, in a crisis, anser a question in less that 10 minutes) >>

And why should we give a rat's a** about your .02 cents newbie? Don't like it? Don't read it and keep the stupid comments to yourself!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrong thread...carry on, LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    brian winters ? are we actually talking hocus focus with this Brian Wnters thing ? the bino's ?
  • Options
    That was a great read, Mr. Piscatelli. I also have the attention span of a 6th grader, but I was easily able to stay focused through the entire post. Thanks for checking in and further educating all of us.
  • Options

<< <i>brian winters ? are we actually talking hocus focus with this Brian Wnters thing ? the bino's ? >>

This place really has gone to hell. Get well soon alt!
  • Options
    great thread. And I learned a lot.
    Hope the card gets labled correctly.
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭
    It is interesting that folks seem to think there is any obligation to send it to PSA to get reholdered/updated. If Bobby chooses to sell the card he simply needs to disclose in the auction that the card is mislabeled and is actually a regular 68 Ryan rookie. Based on the evidence presented so far that certainly seems to be the case.
    I have bought several modern cards, Brady RCs, that are mislabeled but were identified correctly in the auction. For modern cards with the multitude of variations within a single set for individual cards it is very easy for PSA to label a card incorrectly. I did not feel that the seller had any obligation to send the card to PSA to get the correct flip prior to my purchase.

Robb
  • Options

<< <i>It is interesting that folks seem to think there is any obligation to send it to PSA to get reholdered/updated. If Bobby chooses to sell the card he simply needs to disclose in the auction that the card is mislabeled and is actually a regular 68 Ryan rookie. Based on the evidence presented so far that certainly seems to be the case.
    I have bought several modern cards, Brady RCs, that are mislabeled but were identified correctly in the auction. For modern cards with the multitude of variations within a single set for individual cards it is very easy for PSA to label a card incorrectly. I did not feel that the seller had any obligation to send the card to PSA to get the correct flip prior to my purchase.

Robb >>

Doesnt he have some sort of moral obligation to "get this right"? Lets say he discloses the information about this not being a MB to the purchaser and the purchaser then becomes a seller and fails to disclose this to the next guy. Shouldnt someone, somewhere along the line take the bull by the horns and do the right thing so nobody else gets burned by PSA's mistake?
  • Options
    Robb, it gets a problem card of the market before it can do any more harm. Bobby submitted the card and it came back labeled incorrectly. It is simple for him to return the card and get it labeled correctly. If he doesn't want to do that then the card needs to be popped out of the holder and sold raw. If he sells it in present holder with a disclaimer then the same issue we're having now will be repeated some time in the future. If you care about helping to keep what you buy, sell, trade, and collect the best quality product you will help keep the market free of these errors.

Good post by Mr. Piscatelli but I just wanted to clarify one comment he made, "forget about the front-the back is the determiner."
    When the front of a Milton Bradley Ryan card is well centered and showing no white lines you can "forget about the front" in helping to identify a Milton Bradley based on the front alone. You have to flip it over to see if it's yellow for Milton Bradley or orange for Topps. But when you have a miscut card to the extent and direction as Bobby's there's no need whatsoever to check the back color. The front of his card makes Milton Bradley an impossibility.

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Having put this set together over several years, I tend to agree that while the front may tell the story, the back always tells the story

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I did not feel that the seller had any obligation to send the card to PSA to get the correct flip prior to my purchase. >>

The OP was trying to defend PSA's identification of the card against the evidence provided by the other collectors in this thread.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    I can't believe how much play this thread is getting. WOW!!! 300 replies - really? I certainly haven't read them all - but 300 replies? The moderators have given some rope to a thread before - but this is insane!! And it certainly hasn't stayed on topic - that's for sure. While some threads are locked or even deleted - somehow this one has side-stepped the moderators keystrokes. I hope by now everyone knows more than they ever wanted to know about 'memory lane stickers.' And I really hope the OP has found a satisfactory solution to his case.
  • Options
    Weekend Hacker. The most unnecessary post in this thread is the one you just made as you quite obviously didn't read anything after the first two pages and don't know the reason for the 275 additional posts, most of which stayed very much on topic with the real issue at hand about the card that Bobby pictured in post 1. Just know that the 275 posts helped fix a more important issue with the card than a dirty case.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And I really hope the OP has found a satisfactory solution to his case. >>

To be continued....