Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be in Baltimore, Thursday thru Sat morning.

Also, Barber Coin Collector's Society has a club table on Friday, and a club meeting Friday afternoon (at 1, I think).
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
    Pics for this AM, very attractive newp into the Stash, PC63:

Vern
    l
  • JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Great looking coin!

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    I just received the crossover grade on my new 1901-S quarter - AU50. I'm very pleased! In my opinion that is a very accurate grade.

Doug

• paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug, Once again, congrats on a very smart purchase. Quite possibly the single best circulated Barber quarter! Crossover was a lock.

Vern, thanks for posting 05-O. Pix look great!

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug,

Congrats, on your aquisition, great buy. After vern posted the true View (sort of speak ) Photo's of your coin, no question it would holder at 50 min. I had a few tell me they thought 45, (talk about tough)

Jim
  • Congrats Doug! Big time coin for an awesome collection !
    Doug - Congratulations on the culmination of a wonderful acquisition. IMO it was a no brainer for our hosts.

Pics for tonight, a guess the grade on two 09-O qtrs, both in the Paesan's Stash:

Vern
    l
  • mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    Vf-25 and then Vf-30
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll guess F12 on the first one and VF20 on the second 1909-O quarter.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I give both of them a 20.
    The first 09-O quarter that Vern posted looks like a DDR. You can see doubling in the word UNITED most clearly. I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before or how unusual that is.

Paesan
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll give them both a F15, but seeing either or both in a VF20 holder wouldn't surprise me either.

I need to post the one I acquired at a small show a few weeks ago. I think it may be a tad stronger than either of these,
    but not as nicely preserved. But for 10% back of VG Bid I was willing to live with the surface issues image

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    Im saying 20 on both...

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The first 09-O quarter that Vern posted looks like a DDR. You can see doubling in the word UNITED most clearly. I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before or how unusual that is.

Paesan >>

I put this thread out on the topic to swinging consensus.
    Thread Thread

Scr*w it.
    09-O quarter search. It's there. image
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Hi Doug - Big Congrats on your amazing coin acquisition .. I couldn't be any happier for you .. The finest circulated Barber Quarter set continues to get finer.

Here is a newp just purchased from Dr. Pete's favorite Barber Dealer ... HLRC .. if anyone cares to guess the grade. the coin is in a PCGS holder and has a green CAC sticker (I do not care about any of that but I am mentioning it to provide all the info I am able to provide). While the images provided by HLRC are "professional" (enhanced), they are accurate as to what the coin looks like.

For those of you who know the grade, please kindly refrain !! image

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I grade it WOW......
    The images on my monitor suggest AU58, but a low MS grade wouldn't surprise me either, as those key dates in choice condition seem to garner
    extra style points image

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    Scott, Excellent coin for your amazing half collection!

Paesan
    I didn't think that coin would last long. With the Boston Gals asking double at 1 point for an 04-S in the same grade I almost wondered if Harry had made a typo!
    Very nice Scott, congrats!

Doug
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll wager 53. I only say that because of the weakness of the detail. It may be softly struck? The photo? First grade to my mind was 53.

Edit: Looks like a great coin.
  • KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi Doug - Big Congrats on your amazing coin acquisition .. I couldn't be any happier for you .. The finest circulated Barber Quarter set continues to get finer.

Here is a newp just purchased from Dr. Pete's favorite Barber Dealer ... HLRC .. if anyone cares to guess the grade. the coin is in a PCGS holder and has a green CAC sticker (I do not care about any of that but I am mentioning it to provide all the info I am able to provide). While the images provided by HLRC are "professional" (enhanced), they are accurate as to what the coin looks like.

For those of you who know the grade, please kindly refrain !! image

imageimage >>

I know, I know, I know....but I can't tellimage

Ok, it's an AU coin for sure.

Congrats for the acquisition.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking 1904-S Half, maybe AU55??

• My guess is 53 from LB auction nice coin

<< <i>My guess is 53 from LB auction nice coin >>

Wow! No guess! Definately the same coin! Wonder who's picture is correct as I wouldn't touch the coin with a 10 foot pole from the heritage pictures. I was watching that coin.
  • Scott I did quite a bid of due diligence on this coin - on trying to decide rather or not to bid this coin. I could not succesfully do certification verification and pcgs said they would research but never got back with me. Maybe they fixed it if if I were you I would do a cert check.
    Scott - Very nice looking 04-S. Interesting that the coin sold at the HA Long Beach auction, slab #26617533, which was CAC'd, now has a cert number which is "not available for display" through PCGS, but is a valid cert number when verifying through CAC. I don't recall "not available for display", being the same as does not exist.

Here is the answer to the 09-O guess the grade. Pretty amazing, huh? Looking at the coins in hand, there is not much difference in surface quality, altho my pics reflect more marks in the NGC coin.

Vern
    l
    Anyone think this coin is Mint State? Its certified by ICG. Guess the grade anyone?imageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    Mark - I'd say no, from the pics.
    Vern
    l
    Hi hope no one took my post about Scott's 04-S as a knock against it. It was more about the differences in photos. I suspect the coin falls in between the heritage and Harry's pictures. Obviously Harry's pictures appear to be juiced. There is a scratch on the reverse from the F through Amer in Heritage's pictures which hopefully is on the slab and not the coin. It is not visible in Harry's pictures which suggests to me flourecent lighting was used which would enhance the luster of the coin in the picture. Heritage's pictures make the coin look a bit washed out. If the coin does look like Harry's pictures then Heritage really screwed their consignor. I have had to buy back a couple of my consignments from heritage due to poor pictures and descriptions in the past.

I suspect the problem with the cert # is just an input error at PCGS which would most likely be remidied quickly with a phone call.

Hope you are happy with ther coin when you get it in hand Scott!
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    With regards to the 04-S, the coin grades AU53. Great analysis Justin!

Now the interesting part: The cert number is, 25366483. The coin is a plate coin on PCGS.com.
    It verifies in the CAC database as well
    It has been confirmed the coin is the Long Beach coin reholdered by HLRC.
    Another question I have is if the coin were reholdered by PCGS, is it common practice for them to recycle a lower cert number? The Long Beach cert number was 26617533 and the new cert number is 25366483. Is this nothing unusual? I am a novice when it comes to these things so forgive my ignorance if this is common; I'm simply curious and seeking information.

The other and more important question that I have, and I emailed CAC this question; Why are both cert numbers verifying as having a green sticker yet the population only 1? I have attempted to answer this myself. If I hear back from CAC or if someone knows the answer factually, please chime in

For now, here is my speculation

Unlike PCGS who's pop reports are misleading due to crackouts/resubmissions etc., CAC is trying to maintain a database as accurate as possible. This seems logical and should be applauded. This reasoning breaks down because I would contend that if the old cert number has been destroyed (by PCGS), the CAC database is no longer accurate. The fact CAC published 1904-S/53 as being a pop 1 at CAC would seem to confirm they are aware both cert numbers are the same coin.

If the above is true, I find it misleading if not contradictory to my initial suggestion. It also opens the door to make counterfeiting more possible (by maintaining verifiable cert numbers that are known to no longer exist).

If anyone has a comment or would like to opine on this topic, please do as I'm curious what others think.
    imageimage
    As far as the cac population...I have no idea.

Sounds like the coin was cracked...a little majic done to it,and resubmitted.

• << <i>Anyone think this coin is Mint State? Its certified by ICG. Guess the grade anyone?imageimage >>

Nice looking coin the 10 p is under rated ! in a ICG holder my quess is a 63 holder but probably will not cross to ms

<< <i>Found this '15-D Half in an old type set album my dealer had, any guesses on grade? I'm thinking F15-VF20 or thereabouts? Valuation?

image >>

VG-10 if submitted and they don't consider it scratched or environmentaly damaged.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that amwldcoin was looking at the 1915 instead of the 1915-D and gave an assessment of the 1915. The way you have embedded the image into the thread makes it appear on my monitor as though there is only the single 1915 in the image instead of a pair of coins. If amwldcoin is seeing the same thing as me then he might not have realized there was a second coin in the image.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

<< <i>I believe that amwldcoin was looking at the 1915 instead of the 1915-D and gave an assessment of the 1915. The way you have embedded the image into the thread makes it appear on my monitor as though there is only the single 1915 in the image instead of a pair of coins. If amwldcoin is seeing the same thing as me then he might not have realized there was a second coin in the image. >>

LOL! Yeap! I would give the 15-D a 15 from the images! I hate pictures that take forever to scroll across the page and tthen you have to scroll back to see the next post! image
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Found this '15-D Half in an old type set album my dealer had, any guesses on grade? I'm thinking F15-VF20 or thereabouts? Valuation?

>>

Fine 12. The 1915 year tends to have a bit stronger Liberty. Great original - $30-$35 IMO

Tyler
    Here is a PCGS F-12

15-D
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    The 10-P is underrated in both halves and quarters. I really can't proffer an opinion from the photo, it looks possible but what concerns me more is it looks quite possible there is PVC on the obverse and if thats the case it should be taken out and conserved before it gets further damaged. Might just be my eyes too but this should be checked.

As to the 15-D, F15 seems right.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
    Couple of nice original newp's from yesterday's Vienna, VA coin show. Both from Dave Kahn.

PC/CAC 45

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

PC/CAC 58

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Very nice acquisitions John!

Doug
    Fade - Nice orig 15-D, I'd say F-15.

JT - Very nice additions, 93-O looks pretty close to a 50 to me.

Pics for tonight, addition to my collection after a very enjoyable meeting with Doug, Saturday, PC58:

Vern
    l
    Some nice quarters John and Verne.

I guess many of you noticed the outlandish price the 11-S 1/2 brought in 58! I would wager the buyer(if it is who I think it is) didn't notice it was an S/S.

Still way to much money IMO!

Edit to add...LOL I told myself 3 times they were John's quarters and still said Doug! image
    Very nice looking 16 Vern! A date not seen as often as one might think in nice original AU.

JT - I agree, 16-P is tougher than people give it credit for.

Pics for this AM, relatively new addition to the SAM collection, PC58::

Vern
    l
  • I went out and looked at the 11s/s au58 half that went for 6 K + hard to comprehend - who ever put that coin in the auction block has to be surprised and a very happy little camper.
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree with Vern here. I am not much of a quarter guy, but I do keep an eye on a lot of them. I haven't seen a lot of nice high AU 16P's in the last few years. One of the common years, but seems to be an uncommon coin in nice AU. For every 10 16-D's that come to market, you'd be lucky to find one nice 16P.

Just my observations.
    Darrell/Walt - Unbelievable price on that 11-S half. S/S or not. Will see you both in Baltimore.

Pics for tonight, my newp courtesy of Doug, PC45:

Vern
    l
    As to the 16 quarters...I'll expand on Justin's comments and say VF and up! I think your assessment is pretty close. I get 16-D's quite frerquently...seldom a 16 and it is always gone at the 1st show I attend.

Verne you sure are making nice midgrade barber quarters look common! image

We need to watch the PCGS pop reports on that 11-S/S. If I'm not mistaken there was only 1 AU graded by PCGS. Be interesting to see if it is resubmitted for the variety. I for 1 think there are more out there. I just don't think there are that many people looking for them.
    Here's a tough D mint that I think is highly under appreciated only seen 2 examples and this is the nicest so far imageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file