Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll guess 58
    More coins, less government.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Technical 58, with perhaps a boost to 61 or 62 for the luster and the date.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Logman, if that 97-s half is in one if those new two-toned holders, my guess is anywhere from XF 40 to MS 65, depending on which day of the month it was submitted.

It is in a new holder and the reverse does look like a 65!

I think NGC is now more conservative than our hosts.

I disagree!

Paesan >>

Reverse is stunning! I'm not knocking the coin. Don't misunderstand. I just think the hosts have loosened up, and the coins I've seen lately in the new holders dont match the assigned grade. I recently cracked out and NGC 45 quarter and it came back 55. Great for me, but the coin is XF. As for the 97-S, no matter what the plastic says, that's one nice find.

Paesan
  • Lenny - my comment on Doug's 01s is simple I am in awe - I am so happy he has improved the best circulated set of BQ's ever assembled - at least in my humble opinion. Also glad my 96 s AU58 OGH ended up with one of my mentors (barberkeys) and look forward to the day when he fulfills his quest and lands an original 01s in AU. With tears in my eyes The Brier Creek Collection of BQ's will be officially retired this weekend !
    Walt, It was fun watching you build that BC collection. It was an amazing accomplishment, yet your seated libs are even more astonishing. Can't wait to see what's next!

Paesan
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Walt,

Thanks for the kind words, you will be missed by the barber fraternity. Good luck as you continue your ultimate collecting quest - a high grade set of seated quarters.
    And thank you for the 1895 quarter and the many other great coins you sold to me the last few years!

Doug
  • Doug, I will always be a part of the barber fraternity - I luv the series and have nice examples of my favorites in Dime,Quarter,Halfs. My dansco raw set of BQ's still excites me ! Also been very involved in putting together a ch au collection for another collector - I will continue the hunt ! A lot of the coins will be moving on but the friendships I have made with my barber buddies I hope will continue. Attempted to retire the everyman set last night and it completely deleted the set that really sucks ! Business has me in Canada all week but this weekend I will get all coins removed so you can get the 95 added, Vern can add the 96s and 05s and Lenny can add the 95o -50. Have a super day !!
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darrell - I'll guess 58.

Walt - Congrats on building a wonderful set of barber quarters. Your current task of completing your collection of seated quarters is one tall order. I'm certain you have the tenacity to accomplish it. And thanks again for passing along your 96-S, I am a very proud owner of a small piece of the Brier Creek Barber Quarter collection.
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
    Walt..I am also sorry to see you get away from the Barbers...But I also love the Seated Liberty series as well! Perhaps the Barbers were just not enough of a challenge for you...The Seated Quarters are definately more challenging! Lord help your budget if you start going after all the varieties! image
    Walt - I say, put your barber qtr collection back in, and retire it. That only seems right to me.
    Vern
    l
    As I reveal the grade of the 97-S...YES! It is the 3rd 58 our hosts have graded,I will make a plug for why I think the 58's bring such a price other than the pressure from the Everyman sets.

I could have purchased this coin for considerably less: 1897-S MS-65 Yeah! I finally figured out how to do a link!

While there are some 58's out there that are dogs....They are few and far between compared to the percentage of MS graded coins that are just butt ugly in my opinion.

I feel very lucky to have acquired this coin. I am sure the dealer who submitted was hoping fopr an MS grade...but little did he know that he made a homerun getting this coin in a 58 holder! I didn't think I would get this date in 58 as the other 2 are in very strong hands! I am actually surprised this coin did not get the + designation. The 98-O I have in 58+ is not as stunning as this coin in my opinion. The Obv. of this coin is considerably cleaner than my picture suggests. I am also glad I probably saved the coin from having the grade maxed out. While the coin does have very slight rub...so many of the 62's out there do as well!

<< <i>Walt - I say, put your barber qtr collection back in, and retire it. That only seems right to me. >>

Verne! I completely agree! Congrats on the 96-S!
    Darrell, Congrats on that 58 grade! I agree with all your comments except that I've been seeing more bad 58s than you have. Yours is definitely a 58 with 63++ quality.

Paesan

PS Do I get a cookie for guessing the grade?
    Here's my other acquisition from Walt's Brier Creek collection, PC55:

Vern
    l

<< <i>Darrell, Congrats on that 58 grade! I agree with all your comments except that I've been seeing more bad 58s than you have. Yours is definitely a 58 with 63++ quality.

Paesan

PS Do I get a cookie for guessing the grade? >>

Thanks!

Yeah there are some 58's out there that are turds! The 1st 04-O 1/2 in the last Heritage auction was a prime example.

I could mail you a cookie! Maybe my wife won't notice if I snitch 1 of her keebler fudge cookies! Might end up with a good knot on my head! image
    Vern...you snapped up a couple of goodies!
  • mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    Where was the Briar Creek Collection for sale at?
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

<< <i>Where was the Briar Creek Collection for sale at? >>

LOL! On the phone! image
    Mark - When Walt decided to sell his Brier Creek barber quarters (#1 on the everyman registry for the past 2 years), he offered some of the coins to a few of the many collectors he knows. My guess is that virtually all of the coins he decided to part with already have homes.

Walt - Glad to see you have the set back on the registry, so it can be properly retired for posterity.

Thought I'd post your 96-S again, as I like it so much. Thanks again.

Vern
    l
    Vern, I'm sure Walt still has coins forsale!
  • JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Vern - Gorgeous newp's from the Briar Creek collection. I love the 05s.

I have admired Walt's Barber quarter set from my computer screen for a while now, and felt truly privileged to have been given a chance to own some of these beauties. Thank you again Walt! FWIW I am also very glad to see that the Briar Creek set is back up so that it can be properly retired. I want to continue being able to look at it online!

This coin has the early lead on being my "favorite" new former Briar Creek quarter. Ill probably change my mind a few times about that tonight, though! Took these pics in a hurry and will have to take better ones this weekend, but these will suffice for now. PC 58:

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

Very nice 96 sir. Been looking for a 55-58 myself but they seem to be a little over priced everywhere I find 1.

Vern- Thnx for the info I am gna see if I can view the set
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    JT, Tough coin. Congrats.

Paesan
  • BQ Buddies thanks for the kind words. PCGS came through for me to help get the set back up and properly retired. Vern I loved that 05s and I am so glad it is in your fabulous collection !

The 95 p was always one of my favorite coins and I am glad it will end up in the Iowa Collection. My quest for a 95p in pq58 was never fulfilled - what an under rated date in CH AU !

I spent the last 2 hours retiring and deleting coins. With in 30 minutes of retiring the set I have had text - emails or phone calls from 4 dealers and numerous collectors word travels quickly.

Guys have a great evening !!! Walt
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow Walt this is a surprise. Where do you go next?

Congratulations are definitely in order and best wishes in your next endeavor.

• Craig - Thanks for asking - Quarters CC's 1870,1871,1872 1873 - 53 NA - and If I hit the lotto the 73cc NA which rivals the big boys 13 L Nickel - 94s Dime - of course I need to relate that coin to barber coins. Also doing early quarters and some pretty neat type stuff. Just having fun !!! Guys keep posting the pics ! I love to look at awesome barbers.
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Walt,

Before I turn out the lights I bought this years & years ago at the "old Stack's". I'm very sorry I sold it years ago. Not the nicest one I've handled but I liked it.

imageimage

• Craig it is a neat date I have an au coming in for evaluation - very hard to find a decent midrange or better half way original. Rich Uhrich has a VF20 trying to find a better example at a better price. I will be looking at some cc's in baltimore very excited about seeing in hand. Have a great evening ! Walt
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    walt,

Did you part with your 01-s in 25?

jim
  • Jim great to hear from you I still own my 01 S Quarter. - Do you still have the cc quarter I need ?
    Yeah,

I still have it, but hate to part with it just yet.

jim
    You Know I missed that damn 70-cc you had mentioned to me that Liz had last year at Balt. She confidentially couldn't tell me who had it, but I tracked it down to NNC, but alan had already sold it to a customer, so I never got a chance to see it. Have not seen one I liked since. (that I could afford) you know the Battle Born coin sold for astronomical money last year. A strong buyer some of us know who was in the front row at the sale who I thought would win it, even got blown out. There is another one coming in heritage Fun, but its an NGC coin, and I am not sure that nice of a coin?

jim
  • Jim I got offered that 70cc -40 nice coin. It was early in my seated quarter journey and I waited and it was gone. That coin should be in NC.
    I will give you a call today.
    JKT - Great job on adding a few of Walt's treasures. That '96 is a toughie.

Walt & Jim - I foresee a meeting of the minds on a transaction.

Pics for this AM, just a nice common half, PC35:

Vern
    l
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Walt, good luck on your new hunt for earlier quarters. I am glad to see PCGS was able to assist and get your beautiful set properly retired. I did that same mistake a few years back on my halves. But didn't have your luck getting mine restored. It was a lot of fun going back through and seeing your Barber quarters again. Thanks for sharing them with us all. image
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
    Pics for this AM, a beauty from the SAM collection, PC62:

Vern
    l
    Love the 06 and 92-s!
    Posts for this PM, part of Walt's quarter collection:

Vern
    l
  • JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Terrific pics, Vern. And a very neat looking way to present some great coins.

Here is a new addition to my raw album. A tough date as has been noted before on this board in original VF-AU. I would be love to get some honest Barberite opinions as to this coins' grade. I logged it into my notes for this album as a VF-20, but would welcome opinions....regardless it is a coin Im happy to own. And speaking of 06 O's, Id just like to say that the new 06 O in the Beantown Collection looks fantastic.

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That quarter set posted is fantastic!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • I'm looking for the drool icon....No success, but they look great.
    JKT - Nice 06-O for your raw album. I'd say a VF20. And I agree, the new AU50 in the Beantown (SAM) collection looks great in hand too.

I'm going to try again to post Walt's Brier Creek quarter collection. He did a wonderful job of cutting and pasting his recently retired registry set into this Dansco format.
    Please note that the reverse pics are in reverse order. I'm afraid I can't do anything about that.

imageimage

imageimage
    Vern
    l
  • kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Very clever digital album setup Vern, way to go!!
    Kookoo- All credit goes to Walt, he did the setup and all the cutting and pasting. I merely posted his pics.
    Vern
    l
    Walt- I love the astonishing set. Ita very inspirational for a YN like myself to be able to see a 100% complete Set of Quarters.

Vern- thanx for sharing the pics of it

Everyone else- anyone attending the Baltimore Show in 2 weeks
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Thanks Mark we will get page 3 up soon. Unless something comes up plan on attending baltimore. Walt

<< <i>Walt- I love the astonishing set. Ita very inspirational for a YN like myself to be able to see a 100% complete Set of Quarters.

Vern- thanx for sharing the pics of it

Everyone else- anyone attending the Baltimore Show in 2 weeks >>

I'll be set up in Baltimore! Table 360...stop by and introduce yourself! I will wager I have more graded Barber 1/2's at my table than you will find at all other dealers tables combined! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file