Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah...the 98-S and 99-s are definately better than they were presented. Didn't need the 98-S but thought the price was a bit steep on the 99-S....could end up being one of those passes I regret!

Justin is about to post my latest thrill! I R Happy! image
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
  • Darrell- Wow on the 97-s. I'm guessing it's a 55 that should have been a 58.
  • KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey, the above 3 coins look sooooooooo familiar..........

x'cellent tastes fellow barberites...I couldn't

have done it better.

• JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Those are some truly sweet halves, gentlemen!

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fellas, Good looking lot of tough halves.
    More coins, less government.
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darrell - Nice addition, thanks for posting.

KK - All 3 must have been yours, I know the first 2 were. What are you buying now?

Tonights pics, my more pedestrian 97-S. Can't remember if I've posted it before, so care to guess what our hosts graded it?

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    Vern- very nice 97-S I guess Xf-40
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice halves being posted, fellas.
    My GTG on the 'pedestrian' 97S is XF40 also, VF35 if graded on a bad day.....but a legit XF40 in my book.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

<< <i>Very nice halves being posted, fellas.
    My GTG on the 'pedestrian' 97S is XF40 also, VF35 if graded on a bad day.....but a legit XF40 in my book. >>

I agree here but on a good day I could see them giving it a 45. I have seen worse in 45 holders!
    Ill say 35 on the 97-S. 45 if it were a 97-o.

<< <i>Ill say 35 on the 97-S. 45 if it were a 97-o. >>

Oops! I have to concur...don't know why I had 97-O stuck in my head!
    There is nothing pedestrian about that 97-S. I can't see a reason why it would not be in a 40 holder. If it's in a 35, I disagree with PCGS. Which I tend to do that a lot.
    Put me in the 40 camp as well.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

The 40's have it:

Vern
    l

<< <i>Put me in the 40 camp as well. >>

LOL..Vern's 97-S is truely a fence coin! I look at it 1 time and think 40...the next time 35. While my 40 is in the bank...I'm pretty sure it has a tad more meat. Appears to have some luster...which could carry the grade of 40. I am going to revolk my opinions without seeing it in hand! image
    LOL! Did you sense me contiplating your coin! image
    Very nice!!!
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    My thinking was that the incomplete R in liberty and band below might keep it out of an XF holder. I'm not sure if 97-S halves are typically softly struck. I do know that I like the coin a lot, VF or XF.

Paesan

Actually, now that I look again, the R looks good.....

<< <i>My thinking was that the incomplete R in liberty and band below might keep it out of an XF holder. I'm not sure if 97-S halves are typically softly struck. I do know that I like the coin a lot, VF or XF.

Paesan

Actually, now that I look again, the R looks good..... >>

I have been digging through my computer for a 40 I sold a few months ago. ARRRGH! Would be great as a comparison! A bit more white with a bit of luster...if my memory serves me correct quite a bit stronger strike wise.

I will keep digging....If I have to I will get a pic from the buyer if he is able! image
    Darrell - Be interesting to see your comparison 97-S in 40. I bought mine raw as an XF in 1999, wasn't slabbed until maybe 2009.

Pics for tonight, newp from Scott, PC58:

Vern
    l
    Notehunter's 97-S

Thanks Justin! Those pictures are over exposed and the coin is now in a PCGS holder. This is not the coin I thought I was talking about! Turns out I had a brainf*rt! It was an 01-S that I recently sold in 40. image
    Really like that 02 S Vern. Very nice color! Tough date to locate that nice for sure.

Here is a newp from a couple of weeks ago that I picked up at the Virginia Numismatic Association's annual state fair. This was a nice addition to my steadily growing raw set of F-XF Barber quarters housed in my grandfather's old Library of Coins album. My focus lately has been more geared towards AU Barber quarters, but Im always happy to find coins that are a nice fit for this album. Another tougher date that I grade VF-20. Opinions (good or bad) are always welcome.

[URL=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/JKTbarberquarters/media/IMG_2407_zps91712f0b.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/JKTbarberquarters/media/IMG_2411_zpse9964c82.jpg.html]image[/URL]

• Thanks Justin.. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure how that only got in a VF30 holder.
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    Nice group of Half Dollars folks. I love the 99-S.
    I just picked this up off the Bay. Good date, but I probably overpaid.
    Nice 12-S I thought it was overpriced but hey its worth what ones willing to paid for it tough coin
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    KAJ, congrats on 12-S. You don't see many in 55-58. Hope it looks good in hand. I was watching it but the picture quality made me hesitate more than the price tag. Would love to see better pix when it arrives.

Paesan
    JKT - Nice acquisition of the 03-S, very tough in VF. Good looking coin. I really like the Library of Coins albums, how many holes do you have left?

Notehunter - Your 97-S certainly has more meat than a 30. Maybe our hosts net graded it. The obv looks like it has some minor issues.

Kevin - Nice addition of the 12-S. Be interested to hear how it looks in hand, Coast to Coast's pics aren't the best.

Pics for tonight, from the SAM collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/141087877876?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_54wt_932

Notehunter has what are probably more accurate inhand pictuires in his ebay listing. The other pictures are from heritage and as many here know they go from 1 extreme to the other.
    KAJ - Congrats on the 12s. As mentioned, a tougher date to locate in 55 or 58 indeed. I like the sellers pictures better than the ones Heritage made available in September.

Vern - Thanks. I love the older LOC books. I'll have to count exactly where I stand after a couple of recent additions, but I am somewhere around half way finished. All of the keys and lots of tougher dates remain though. Should be done around 2050 I have been enjoying your pics from your raw set on this thread for quite some now. Those are always a treat.

By the way, I realize that the pictures I post tend to be enormous and not fit in well with the rest of the page. I apologize to the group if I am taking up too much space.....seems to kind of create an eyesore when scrolling the whole page. I have tried to search previous posts for information on how to change the size of my photobucket pictures, or format them to fit better, but I am still not sure how. Anyone can please feel free to PM me or post here if you know what I should be doing differently.

-JT

• Thanks Darrell. That photo came from the teletrade auction 2+ years ago. It was graded by NGC as a VF30. I used the crossing service, but should had cracked it out like I was advised. I thought it had enough meat to at least get it in a 35 holder. I crossed a 92-o $.50 NGC VF35 during the same submission and it came back as a PCGS XF40. Although one day I could see the 92-o in a 45 holder. So I guess on that day the graders did not see it fit to cross and upgrade the 97-s.
  • kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    My first Barber purchase in a long while, but here's the new examples I've acquired in the last couple weeks. Enjoy!
    Love the die clash on that 92-O!!!!
    Yes, unusual to see clashing as dramatic as that! Very cool.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    Kookoox - Welcome to the barber thread. Great clash.

Pics for tonight, from my raw set:

Vern
    l
    Kookoox- welcome to the Mega Thread Part 2 and thats an Amazing clash. Never saw 1 in my short time learning about the Quarter Series.

Vern- love the triple theat 1905s. Still trying to find an affordable 05-0 and 05-S for my Set.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    That 05O is a good date, and would fit right in with the rest in my mini hoard....

• kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the warm welcome gentlemen. Lot's of great pieces on this thread and in part 1! I look forward to adding more to the archives.
    Mark - Both the 05-O and 05-S are tough, the 05-S being quite under-rated IMO.

Pics for this AM, newp into a friend's collection here in northern Illinois, PC30:

Vern
    l
    Pics for this AM, from mmy raw set:

Vern
    l
    Love the quarters, Vern. Especially the 06 O. Very tough date to find in original condition with a full Liberty IMO.

• KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    I got the 12-S from Ebay. This is a pop 8 coin.
    Took a bunch of pictures but chose these 2.
    Kevin - Nice acquisition of a tough date.

For this AM, how about an AU 1896-S qtr grading set? 50, 53, 58.

Vern
    l
    Darrell's latest 97-S. GTG

I dnt see any wear but I think maybe a 61
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    I'll guess MS 62, but it looks nicer.
    Dr. Pete
    Thanks Justin! Man that was fast! The Obv. is not near as busy in hand as my picture! The spot at 2:00 is actually a light scrape that my camera must of decided was a toned spot! As most of you know...digital cameras really like to enhance light marks,etc.
    Nice coin. Ill guess that its in a 63 holder.

Vern, you're out of control with those 96-S's! Wow

Logman, if that 97-s half is in one if those new two-toned holders, my guess is anywhere from XF 40 to MS 65, depending on which day of the month it was submitted.

I think NGC is now more conservative than our hosts.

Paesan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file