Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoard the keys.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern can describe the 01-s in NGC 53 , he saw it in hand. I had two folks whose eye's I trust look at both. IMO, and only basing on the image I thought the NGC 53 looked more like an XF-48?, although Vern feels there is a enough luster to get it to a 50. But more original than a few surfacing lately he said, however it really doesn't matter, because the price it sold for , (the buyer) got a bargain regardless of the grade it comes back. I Just bought a freshly graded PCGS 53 2 weeks before this sale and paid way more than that, but I liked the coin, got first shot and don't plan on selling anytime in the near future so I am okay with that.

The PCGS 55 coin as described to me by both persons and I believe I have seen myself sometime back, has the look of a 58 , even low ms coin except for a tremendous patch of hairlines that go across the face and into the field. So much so they hit you in the face upon viewing, and to quote one of the viewers" its so distracting, you cant enjoy any other part of the coin"

I really thought the coins would go higher especially with the internet bidders who did not have the privledge of viewing or having it viewed. Although I cant imagine anyone spending 30-40k on a coin would not make arrangements to get it looked at prior too bidding. Also, having two in the same sale probably didn't help, not too mention the large amount of lots in this sale and recently completed ANA taking lots of funds out of the market temporarily.

One of the other coins I really wanted to bid on went considerably lower than I had expected. But It had some issues, and I decided to pass based on commentary from the two folks I had look at it. I felt I would not be happy with it, even though they rarely come up for sale period, at least in a somewhat affordable grade. In fact , it sold for just 1/2 increment above the presale bid I had placed in the system like a week before.

The 95-o dime in OGH 63 went for a couple grand less than I thought it would, will see how it looks when I get it in hand.
    jim

• LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Jim. I appreciate the response.

Edit: Can't wait to hear more about the 95-O.
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Justin - The owner of the 95-O in 65 is not the guy who bought the 98-O in Balt last November. Glen, who you met in Balt, does have a great eye for coins, and if all goes well, the same group of us will make Balt again this November.

Type 2 - Really nice barbers, thanks for posting.

Jim - I look forward to your thoughts when you have the 95-O in 63 in hand.

Pics for tonight, from the SAM collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    New purchase imageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    Mark - Lots of eye appeal with your 1914, good acquisition.

Pics for this AM, from the Iowa collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a recent, raw, 1897-S Barber Quarter I picked up with a centered MM. I probably wont submit it for about a year, but I give it a 70% chance at grading. I like it as a F15/VF20.

image >>

Well I submitted this to PCGS...and the longer I had it I was pretty sure it was coming back "details". Sure enough...it did. XF Details, scratched (I was way off with my F15/20 details grade!). I'm okay with it, the scratch directly on the mintmark is enough to be distracting if someone was asking full retail for it and I were a discerning buyer. Overall it does have pretty decent eye appeal. Time to put it away in a box for a long time!
    Vern- Ty for ur compliments. im very happy about it the nicest coin I have accumulated thus far
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Steve - that 97-S quarter is a BEAUTY!!! ..
    Love the look .. Looks a lot like the one I picked up 4-5 months ago .. I do agree your coin has slightly more detail than mine and also has a slightly lighter tone/complexion which was graded VF35 .. And I also agree with PCGS on the XF details .. To grade it F15, to me anyway, is ultra-ultra conservative .. What are you smoking? image

this coin is a perfect example of buying the coin and not the holder .. details holder, numeric holder or raw - the coin is absolutely lovely .. Let me know if you decide to remove it from that box of yours please image
    imageimage
    Patches - Good looking 97-S CMM. That's not much of a scratch, you were unfortunate to not have the same graders that did the F-15, 01-S that just sold at Heritage. Now that's a scratch.

Pics for tonight, another 1900-O newp into the Stash, PC40:

Vern
    l
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    Mark, I like your 1914!

That 97-S is sweet also.
    The Sam 15-S is outstanding. Here is mine that just crossed.
    Kevin - Congrats on the cross, nice coin.

Pics for this AM, haven't seen this for a while, PC50:

Vern
    l
    Wow! VERN I HAVE NEVER SEEN A BUISNESS STRIKE 1885 IN THAT HIGH OF A GRADE IN MY SHORT TIME IN THE HOBBY SO KEWL!!!
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    Vern,

that's a nice 85, so many I see are overgraded on the market.
  • JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    My first attempt at posting a picture here. Relatively newp that I really like. I hope this comes out:

[URL=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/JKTbarberquarters/media/IMG_9675_zps6f7071dc.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/JKTbarberquarters/media/IMG_9680_zps4b46c9b6.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

Welcome To The Mega thread Part ll JKT Nice 93p.

Mr.Kevin very sweet 1915-S
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the 93, JT. Picture came out fine. Hope that hook-up works out well for you.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
    JKT - Good pics, and nice coin. Please keep up the picture taking and posting.

Thanks for the positive comments on the 85 nickel.

Pics for tonight, another relative newp into the Stash, PC30:

Vern
    l
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Love the 95-O dime on the previous page.

Vern thanks for the post and for your others too. Nice pickup on the 97-S Centered MM. VF35 in my view and super scarce, and details grade or not a nice pickup.

As to the 01-S's in the auction. I found the NGC 53 to be a pretty decent example and for a change, an original coin compared to most all of the VF-AU coins graded for this date.

I viewed both the 55 and 53 in person. I was the underbidder for the 53, which I feel is closer to a 50 then a 53 but if someone wanted to cross it and is willing to take a 50 I think it has a reasonable shot.

The AU55 was horribly hairlined if I were sitting in the grading room I would have given it AU details, cleaned. Sorry but if it were any other date that's what would have happened. If the pop reports are to be believed I have personally viewed a bit over 50% of the graded 01-S quarter examples from VF-AU and there are only 3 or 4 I would be interested in recommending or bidding on. This 53 was one of them.

As to the prices, I felt the 53 sold for what I expected it would go for, while the 55 was overpriced.

This is my view and opinion on pricing for the big 3 quarters and I would be most interested in what others think. So here goes.

On the demand side, the big 3 quarters have an interesting situation in the market place and I feel have lower demand then the other dates in the series. Many set collectors eschew the 96-S, 01-S and 13-S entirely, basically just forget about them as it costs a lot to get a decent example in a grade that would match their set, especially in VF-AU. As an alternative, if they decide to seek an example and not pass on these dates altogether, a set collector will opt for a lower grade example, even in G-4 to VG-8 where there are a lot more examples available. There are so many lifeless and overgraded G-VG examples though, a set collector looking for a lower grade example can and should be patient. For each of these dates I may look at 25-30 graded G-VG coins before I find one I like and buy, and each time they are gone quickly. I have brought over the past 4 years somewhere of 8-9 combined of these 3 dates like this. So on the demand side due to the high price, and divergence in quality of graded coins, demand is not nearly as high as one might think.

On the supply side, very, very limited numbers are available. Nice coins for the grade extremely limited because so many have been "given the doubt" and been graded! Thus it wouldn't take but just the slightest increase in demand to push prices higher for these 3 dates. I feel supply and demand for these dates have been in balance for a decade now, but only a handful of new set collectors will change that at some point in the future.

Congratulations to the new owner of the 53, you picked up a nice coin at a fair price. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 55 in auction again in the next 2-3 years. image
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
    Lenny - Thanks again.

PonyExpress - Great to read your observations about the two AU 01s quarters that just sold, in addition to your prospective about the marketplace for the three keys in general.

Barberkeys - Now that I understand photobucket, I feel like a complete moron for being intimidated by it for so long. Ill look forward to sharing more pictures will this group in the future. A newp that arrived this week. PC/CAC 58

[URL=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/JKTbarberquarters/media/IMG_1934_zps86da0eae.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/JKTbarberquarters/media/IMG_1942_zpscc97f8f3.jpg.html]image[/URL]image

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

Glenn, Enjoyed your words on recent 01-S quarters and the big 3. It's very helpful that you viewed these coins and shared your professional opinions. While I'm here, I also respect what you said earlier about communication.

Walt, I know you're out there!!! We need one sentence from the guy on the top of the hill!
    Break the ice!!!!

Kevin, Its coming. Sorry for delay.

Paesan
    Glenn- thanks for sharing your knowledge about the 01-S its especially insightful to young collwctors as myself that doesn't really know much about the BIG 3 market I personally have never seen an 01-S in person. I would think it was amazing to view the 2 your talking about.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    Glenn - Great to get your thoughts on the big three qtrs.

Of the few 01-S's I've seen in XF or AU, this NGC-53 is the only one original enough for me. I'm still surprised it didn't bring more. One of these days the new owner will present it here, I'm guessing.

Did everyone see the bogus listing on ebay of the 1913-S qtr in PC55? Here is the link:

Thread on 13-S listing

JKT - Great to see those pics, keep them coming. Believe me, if it was complicated, I wouldn't be able to do it.
    Vern
    l
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine that... lots of interest in a pair of AU key date Barber Quarters image

I too reviewed both of the AU 1901-S quarters in the recent Heritage auction for a client... here's what I thought of them:

In comparing the two coins, the NGC coin looks at least a few grades lower than the PCGS coin at first glance. I thought the NGC coin was really an XF45 or so coin. it had some light hairlines in the obverse field, but they were nothing compared to those on the PCGS coin. The wear on the coin was in the XF range in my opinion (even though I know the keys get a bump usually), but the luster was pretty decent so I would lean towards XF45 if I were the grader, there was just too much wear for me to call it AU as I don't give extra credit for a key date. The PCGS coin was just bad. The hairlines on the obverse were major and covered a great deal of the obverse. In closely inspecting the hairlines, some of them appeared to be die polish lines, but not certainly not all of them were... most was harsh cleaning and was far too distracting. Without those issues, the coin is probably an AU58 coin, but someone got a huge gift by getting that one into a PCGS AU55 holder... a crystal clear example of why we don't buy coins sight-unseen based on the grades... even PCGS grades.
    Pics for tonight, the AU 01-S's from Heritage Long Beach Sale last month, NGC-53 and PCGS-55:

Vern
    l
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    Vern- very sweet pickups on those 2 amazing 01-S I can only hope to someday own a vg/F I guess ur quest is complete on 2 beautiful examples
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    mark,

Vern didn't buy any of those, and neither did I, he was just posting, If you look at this heritage photo of the pc 55, it actually looks decent. Farthest from the truth

I had two people look at it , one posted earlier. Also, one of the larger national dealers came to a regional show we had this weekend and he happened to mention to me how bad the coin was. His comments Very similar as to comments from the others.

jim
    Ahh. I misunderstood then. I am still very new to the key dates so I dnt keep up with them. except what I read here.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Vern,

Thanks for posting photos of my new 01-S quarter (the NGC53 coin). Vern and I had the privilege of viewing the coin at our leisure one afternoon
    about three weeks before the auction. I liked the coin a little more than Vern, and I'm thrilled to have won the coin for what I consider to be a bargain price.

Doug
  • KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ,,,and of course this portion of the thread would not be complete w/out a hat trick or a triple play....

Ok so Congrats to you Mr.Doug!! Finally got the right Barberite...
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    Mark - Sorry for the confusion, when I posted the pics. Jim, thanks for clearing that up.

KK - Interesting.

Doug - Congrats on the wonderful addition to your collection. Heritage's pics don't do your coin justice. Here is the real view of your 53 (at least as real as my limited photographic skills allow):

For easy comparison, here are HA's again:

Vern
    l
    Vern- its ok. So do u do Numismatic Photography as a business or just for friends? Pm me if u so please..
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    Congratulations, Doug. Looks to be one of the premier certified AU 01s quarters out there. Sure seems like a terrific purchase.

Sure feels silly posting a measly 00s now, but....here is a newp from the same Heritage auction. This coin seems to have been busy in the marketplace (two different Heritage auctions as well as DK's inventory) in the past couple of years. Not a difficult date in AU, but a nice original coin that I was happy to win. PC/CAC 55 (And speaking of 00s', I noticed the recent upgrade in this date in the Briar Creek set. Now thats a beauty!)

[URL=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/JKTbarberquarters/media/IMG_2104_zps3e2550ed.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/JKTbarberquarters/media/IMG_2109_zps325b8c75.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Thanks Vern and Mark, I'm very happy with the coin!

It's amazing how different a coin can look from two sets of photos. The Heritage photos of my 01-S exaggerate the originality of the coin while not accurately portraying it's luster.
    Vern's excellent photos accurately portray the true luster and originality of the coin, with a very slight exaggeration of it's hairlines, probably from light and camera angles.

Doug
    Guys, Great posts on all the 01-S quarters.
    Doug, Congrats on a superb purchase.
    JT, your pix are coming out great. Really like the 00-S.
    Personally, not interested in posting pix until I can just drag and drop them here. Photobucket is too much work for my little brain.
    Vern, thanks for posting pix for me.
    Paesan
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Doug,

Enjoy your new 01-S. It will look good in your collection.

Congrats!!

Thanks Lenny and Craig!

Doug
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Doug,

Congratulations on your new purchase! image I know how excited you are to be able to get that coin.

I totally agree Vern's photos are pretty close and your comments on the photos pretty accurate. I also can personally appreciate that it is original compared to the 55 in the auction and the other couple of recent photos. But that is very personal as some prefer a white coin.

KK I have viewed your coin personally and while I don't personally like that it has been dipped white in the past, it is a much nicer coin then the AU55 in the auction and not nearly heavily hairlined like the 55. Your coin is nicer in hand then the photo you posted might suggest.

As Mike K said earlier excellent evidence and confirmation about how far off auction photos can be. Mike, I will say I think you're being a bit conservative at 45. But thats where we can each have our opinion and both be correct. In my view I agree there is some wear on the surfaces, enough to be in the 45-50 grade area. I can't get to 53 either, but in my view way too much remaining original luster over a large enough surface of both sides to be a 45, plus the fact it hasn't been messed with and dipped, thus my 50 call.

You would think for a $30K+ coin that an auction company would spend a bit more time producing a decent photo and showing it accurately. But they don't sadly as we can see. For all the plusses an auction can offer, how would you feel as a consigner if you had consigned the NGC 53 coin and that was the photo presented. And possibly leaving a bid or two off because of the photo quality?

Photos like that don't do justice to the consigner, the auction company, nor the market as to some pricing guide direction. As a consigner I would not be a happy camper with that photo!

JKT nice photo on the 1900-S. While we may all be talking about 01-S's recently, I like seeing all Barbers! image

Good job and keep sharing.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
    Yes,

I agree , had people been able to see the NGC 53 , it would have went 10k more (I can assure you). I was waiting for heritage to put up the spinner view photo's but they never did for that coin. I too would have been pizzed if I was the consignor. Doug got a super deal on a great coin.

Ill enjoy mine for now, but I am about to the point, the next MS coin that comes up that's nice, I am going to buy it and circulate it a tad to get a 58.

jim
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You would think for a $30K+ coin that an auction company would spend a bit more time producing a decent photo and showing it accurately. But they don't sadly as we can see. For all the plusses an auction can offer, how would you feel as a consigner if you had consigned the NGC 53 coin and that was the photo presented. And possibly leaving a bid or two off because of the photo quality?

Photos like that don't do justice to the consigner, the auction company, nor the market as to some pricing guide direction. As a consigner I would not be a happy camper with that photo! >>

Glenn,

I went through this a couple of years ago. Horrid pictures...obviously IMO they were trying to buy them.(latter talked with some minions working with their funds that they had bid on them) I saw the pictures and called my consignor. I wanted a reserve with those pictures. Well...there answer was a 10% fee for the reserve if they didn't sell! I didn't think it was worth the 2% difference to taint the auction with a reserve so I had a friend buy them back for me. Well...they got there 3K in commissions and I still came out better! I doubt they will see any consignments from me again unless they make some serious changes or allow me to supply the pictures with a reserve!
    Thanks Glenn and Jim, I feel very fortunate.

Doug
    JKT - Congrats on the 1900-S, good looking coin.

Glenn - Good points.

Jim - I know you're kidding. If you find that MS 01-S you like, you'll be happy to have a mint state example.

Darrell - Amazing. I guess you could always go to Stacks.

Doug - Once again, congrats. I'll guess it's 50/50, either AU50 or AU53, when the time comes.

Pics for tonight, a newp, thanks again Scott, PC62:

Vern
    l
    Vern- Beautiful color on the 1911-S absolutely beautiful.. wish I could find an Au in with color but that seems like a incredibly tough task.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Vern- thanks again for taking the time to take such wonderful pix. Glad I was finally able to find a coin or two I could part with. That 11-S is nice and the price the dealer asked I bought it from was well below what I would have paid .. overall a great deal.

Doug - very happy for your new acquisition - What a great day for you! Congrats
    imageimage
    Thanks Scott!

Doug
    That 11-s is exceptionally nice!
    Thanks for the positive comments on the 11-S. Great strike besides a good look.

Pics for this AM, newps into the SAM collection, both with great strikes as well, PC55 and PC58:

Vern
    l
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like those beauties never ventured across the Pacific.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file