Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Quarters, quarters everywhere but none to be had image

Here are two I picked up many moons ago.

1897-S PCGS55 CAC

1899-O PCGS55 CAC

The images do not really capture the color but these are two 55's that I had to buy (at old time prices!!).

Craig

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    Mike as usual im speechless with your beautiful coins.I enjoy all of them
    LabelMan- also beautiful pieces but im curious as to why the (s) on the 97 is in a different placemeny than the (o) on ur other 1 is that normal or a variery..ty
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    Mark,

I suggest that you obtain a copy of "The Complete Guide to Barber Quarters 2nd edition" by David Lawrence. It will help you understand the dies used in the Barber Quarter series. The 1897-s was the last in the series to use the far right mint mark.

There are many repunched dates and/or mint marks and varieties that at quite interesting in the series.

Good Hunting!

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone in here has been very very busy! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craig, Love seeing your coins!

Mike, You've got some great quarters there! Don't think that 00-o in 53 was mine though. Question regarding comment about sale of coins on thread, for all to chime in, but would like Mike's opinion especially. If its not OK to let it be known that a coin is for sale here, then wouldn't be unethical to hint to a fellow member that you might want one of their coins for your set? Not saying that I haven't ever done it, but I don't see too much difference.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
    And so, the problem begins.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    If I may interject, both are technically not acceptable. This is what PM's are for.

But then again, I am 99% positive I have broken the first scenario in this thread or the original at some point. image
    Mike, You're right. Won't you please accept my apology?
    Hey Guys, Farewell post from The Paesan. Like the man says, " If its not fun, its not worth it." Enjoyed meeting you guys.

Lenny
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What seems inappropriate to me is fronting off a new guy. A PM would have worked as well.

And I'd like to suggest that everyone lighten up, this is a hobby forum, not Nazi Germany.
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
    . How right you were. It escalated beyond any imaginable recourse.
    Being called (tantamount to being ) a Nazi was the straw to break my
    enjoyment on this Thread.

The only apology I offer is to the readership who were deprived of
    all my previous images, posts and input.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Good Morning Everyone I am thinking about grabbing this beautiful piece. Do yall Likey?imageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    Mark - Looks like a nice coin for a 61. Personally, I'm a fan of a little tone.

Pics for today, a friend who might soon be leaving me:

Vern
    l
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Guys, Farewell post from The Paesan. Like the man says, " If its not fun, its not worth it." Enjoyed meeting you guys.

Lenny >>

image That's my phrase! I'M THE MAN!!! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    I Also Love The Toned Coins But This 1 Caught My Eye.. I Am New To The Barbers So I Guess Im Still Ponderinf What I like and Wat Grade im Gna Collect.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    On another note I feel so horrible about the previous conversation and it causing people to be upset and members walking away from the forum over it. I hope that everyone forgives and forgets about this. I love being hear among you guys and learning and seeing all the coins. Please let's get back to how it was before I made the mistake. I would feel even worse if a frienship was lost because of this.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    Ah, time to relax and lighten up a bit.

Vern, I finally found the large , professionally imaged copies of the 1909-O Barber Quarter that I had the good fortune to obtain. I have attached below:

Everyone have a nice evening!

That is such a stunning 09-O!!!
    Craig - Thanks, will be interested to hear if our hosts upgrade it.

Pics for this AM, just the right look from Beantown, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    What a beautiful 09-O half Scott!

Doug
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Truly is a great 09-o half.
    Those surfaces are perfect. Luster broken by light wear, some random dirt laid on just right.
    Sweet.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
    Pics for tonight, another very nice looking half, new into the Stash, PC35:

Vern
    l
    My 1st quarter purchase 1905 Ngc Au 53imageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Excellent...a new era begins for ya, cant have that 1905 be lonely! image
    As soon I recieve it I will post better pics. These are pics from Ebay. The toning is awesome!!!
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    Mark - Congrats on the '05 qtr, a tougher 'P' mint.

Pics for tonight, another recent acquisition in Beantown, PC62:

Vern
    l
    Hello again, fellows Paesans. Thank you all for all your support and encouragement. I've been asked by quite a few members to continue to participate here. I've decided to reconsider.

Mike is a passionate collector as we all know, and he has a strong will. In fact, we have a lot in common here. Truth is that we are going to disagree on things and that's a part of what should happen here. So I reacted to something, which was OK, and then I overreacted, which was not OK. Though we haven't spoken about it, I have no hard feelings toward Mike.

Paesan

• DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭
    The barber guys are often talking about a lot of different dates/mm being underrated. So which dates/mm are overrated and easier to find/less expensive than commonly believed?

<< <i>The barber guys are often talking about a lot of different dates/mm being underrated. So which dates/mm are overrated and easier to find/less expensive than commonly believed? >>

As far as quarters go...I'd say the 1892-P, 1900-S, 1902-O, 1904-O, 1908-S, 1911-D, 1914-D, 1914-S and 1916-D are usually readily available if you look around. As always though, finding nice ones isnt an easy task.

There are bubble anomalies like the 01-s and 07-s in XF being more common than thought.
    I'm not out filling orders in the field so I don't know, but going by the data these stick out.

Quarters, yeah, 04-o overrated.
    I'm still high on the 08-s though. Until science proves me wrong.
  • JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Id add the 1915 S to the overrated list. FWIW I also agree that the 1908 S is tough in VF and up.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

To each their own on the dates, but the 1908-S was one of the first semi-keys I was able to find...and in the last 2 years between eBay and Heritage there as has been about 5 VF's, 3 XF's, 8 AU's, and 6 MS examples that have sold.
    Good to see ya back paesan. I am just starting on quarters so I cnt really chime in on the question below but I am listening.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As far as quarters go...I'd say the 1892-P, 1900-S, 1902-O, 1904-O, 1908-S, 1911-D, 1914-D, 1914-S and 1916-D are usually readily available if you look around. >>

I guess the only 'beef' I have with this list is the 16D is extremely common in XF-AU....much more so than any of the others, IMO, and one of the more plentiful dates in the series. Do some people really consider this a better date, but that is actually overrated?
    The 04O and 11D are perfect examples of overrated dates.
    14S - I don't see many of these at all above Fine, but admittedly I don't watch Ebay or other auction sites for them, just shows. I do see them in G-VG frequently though.
    I'm a little on the fence about throwing the 96O into the mix, as I've come across a few of them in mid-grade this past year or so....including a dealer at FUN who had a 'stack' of 8 of them in his case!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins Mark and Mike

Vern - thanks for posting the 99-S Quarter - you would think I have 2 of them in 62 looking at your photos vs. mine ..

Lenny - Glad you made a U-Turn at the end of the plank - Welcome Back Mr. Kotter !

It is very difficult to quantify over rated vs. under rated when discussing varying grades from VF to AU

Some may be R3 in VF and R5+ in AU .. Some are vice versa and more scarce in VF than AU

There is also another aspect to consider and that is the "short sample size" - where one may have their own personal encounters of certain coins that are typically much more scarce and the fact that several are seen in a short period of time may result in false conclusions to be drawn. In a market this hot, a certain coin may sell for huge money at auction which may pry other coins from hiding leading a false sense that the coin is more available than it really is ..

Water seeks it's own level and over the course of the long haul, it averages out so that the true "R"arity "R"atings are observed.

Without referencing the only "Rarity Rating" chart I am aware of, the 2007 BCCS census which I consider borderline out of date, one example stands out for me - the 1892-O Half Dollar comes to mind as a coin that is MUCH more available in AU than it is in XF and MUCH. MUCH MUCH more available than it is in VF .. The 92-O is almost never seen in F/VF and it becomes increasingly more available as the grades get up to AU/MS or decrease all the way to AG/G - For quarters, I want to say the 1905-S is more available in AU than it is in VF

I feel the 1899-S to be a date in the quarter series that is over rated in AU particularly. This coin has a lot going for it. It's amongst the most cherished dates in the series to quarter enthusiasts. It's reputation keeps pricing and demand high. Aug., 2012, began a run of perhaps a dozen AU/MS coins coming to auction/for sale . That first coin, graded AU58 sold for a pretty sizeable jump in price compared to the previous time (from $475 to $775). Thereafter this date sold numerous examples with AU grades fetching $500-$1000 variable with grade/quality . An NGC-64 was sold at the Baltore show for $1700. It was then resold for $2500 on eBay. Three others in MS 62 or 63 followed with sales in the $1500-$2300 range. So was this an incredible run, a short sample size fueled by coins coming out of hiding after seeing high sales figures? Or is it over rated? Or a little of both? The pops are actually higher in AU than in VF/XF, and are fairly abundant in AU. Not just PCGS graded, I've seen many raw 99-S quarters as well as graded by other companies.
    I think it's mostly over rated with a little run of coincidence fueled by a strong market demand. If a new collector enters the market today and wasn't here to witness the 15 sales of this date in the last year, he may go a year or longer without seeing another one sold. Thus his perception is created by his own "short sample size., and that is all that matters." To him, the coin is rare. Assuming all things being equal, he would pay strongly for that coin, if he had a chance to acquire it. There is enough competition that prices generally remain strong. But this is just one example.
    There are countless other variables - re-grades/crack outs - primarily from higher valued coins that increase significantly with each grade ... I really believe after doing this for several years, and I am far from an expert .. But I do believe the publications are compiled by experts and I presume the information has been backed up , supported and quantified ....Bottom line I think the short term, and one's own "good or bad fortune" can lead to false conclusions being drawn
    imageimage
    Lenny, really glad you reconsidered.

Davideo, it may take some digging in this thread, but there was some good talk about the quarters quite a few pages back. I believe Lucanus gave his thoughts on tough dates etc and it sparked some really good discussion.
  • JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Scott - Very well said. All excellent points.

Davideo - If you go to page 60 of this thread, you will find some excellent information and some very well informed opinions from some very well informed posters regarding rarity within the Barber quarter series.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

Paesan - Very glad to see you back.

Scott - Very well stated.

Davideo - When it comes to barber quarters, I'd say that in AU and Mint State the over-rated (overpriced) dates are 1892 and 1916-D. It makes no sense to me that they should be priced as high as all the other common coins. One will see tons of these for every "common" 1894, 95, 96, 1901, 02, 03, etc., seen. Just in general reputation across all grades, my opinion is the 1911-D and 1913-P are over-rated.

Pics for tonight, my 11-D, PC62:

Vern
    l
  • DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Davideo - If you go to page 60 of this thread, you will find some excellent information and some very well informed opinions from some very well informed posters regarding rarity within the Barber quarter series. >>

Thanks! Good information there!
  • JMWJMW Posts: 497
    I just found out that Mike will no longer be posting to this forum. He has been a great contributor of images, information, and supporter of anyone displaying interest in the Barber series, or learning to use the forums. From setting up an Avatar, posting images, and getting connected with other members, Mike has always been there to help.

I am not picking sides, and I have many great friends on this forum. Unfortunately when posting just a few short words, things can and do get misconstrued. This is very unfortunate.

Thanks Mikeimage
    Good luck out there, Mike...no idea what happened here. Hobbies are supposed to be fun, I hope you have better luck going forward. I hope to see you back someday.

-Steve
    Come on, Mike. You've been a guest in my home. We've broken bread and had some laughs and good conversation. So we disagreed here. Big f---'g deal. Lets move on.

Paesan
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Say it ain't so!

A self-imposed bamming? This forum needs Mike. I wonder if the Sports Moderator can force Mike back onto the forum image

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    Mike - PM sent.
    Vern
    l

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Well, um, I finally got a 97-o half in AU......

Barbers Rule.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To fix this problem, let the forum moderator lock down the barber mega thread 2, and well all start a new #3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file