Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike - That's an awfully good looking 04-S, congrats. Also, I'm still interested in AU's, just didn't run across the right ones at ANA.

Pics for tonight, a newp from the show itself, and for me unusual in that it's a barber half, PC40:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, but I agreed only that the 1904-S dime is a beauty. ...Dirty mind ..lol

• SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Looks like The Jackpot was hit in Chicago.. Super look to those gem quarters - booming luster and super clean and sharp details .. Amazing pickups .. Congrats for sure

Beautiful dime Mike - I love the die polish lines - Love that look and the toning is supreme .. Gorgeous

Slowly adding MS pieces to my own cupboard. I was outbid on the Stack's 99-S -63 OGH coin and was tempted to fire a few more shells .. This is NOT the Stack's coin ..Coins have all proven difficult for me to capture the true look - some more than others. This piece has 100% original surfaces and beautiful natural toning. The slab is quite scuffy resulting in the chattered look - particularly on the obverse .. The coin itself is virtually devoid of contact marks. The fields and portrait are all clean and the luster is strong and flowing:
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Scott - Look forward to seeing that beauty in hand some day.

Pics for tonight, newp from pre-ANA auction, PC63 (OGH):

Vern
    l
    What dost thou think: 1901-S Quarter NGC53
    Fresh or foul? (fresh coin or foul piece of vermin)
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    I like it. Some circulation hits, but there looks to be nothing really unacceptable about it.
    I agree .. I said earlier this morning in private conversations I thought it looked fairly nice and mostly original.. pix can be deceiving - I would imagine a flight to LGB Airport may be in order for a serious bidder .. I asked above Fresh or Foul simply meaning fresh to the market (10 years or longer is my definition) .. Foul was the incorrect antonym but it applied for other purposes so I left it

Survey:

I have set the over/under line for the final Hammer (not all-in - Just hammer) ... .place your bets!

Over $37.5k
    Under $37.5k
    imageimage
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Scott,

I like the coin, have never seen it before. Over 37.5k.

Doug
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my prediction: First, 2:5 odds a forum member from the Land of Lincoln is making travel arrangements. Then I'll take the under for 10 units because nobody is going against him if he likes it.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike, Glad the 04-O worked out.

I've been wanting to buy stuff lately, but have been doing more selling and trading than anything. It feels like peak market to me, so more "Stash" coins may be available soon, and if Barber prices don't settle down, I'll be looking elsewhere more and more. Maybe soon I'll start the Sacajawea thread.

Paesan
    Exciting times when a fresh AU 01-S hits the scene. It has not been seen before by these eyes. I think it is safe to assume that there will be interest from the midwest. (JD in NC, hope you're on vacation for the next month).

Scott - 5 large on the over.

Mike - Look forward to pics.

Paesan - Sac thread I'm for. Right sized coin.

Pics for tonight, newp from the floor last week, D/d in PC63:

Vern
    l
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I also picked up a few odds and ends at ANA - and will patiently wait for Messydesk's images
    which I should have by next weekend - but in registering my new Dime - I discovered
    that there was a Secure Plus TruView image of it already - its a 1910-S in PCGS 63+
    and the only PL Dime I have seen - [ seen plenty of Quarters and Halves ] - and no one
    had ever seen a P/L Dime before... until I spoke with JMW this afternoon ... it seems he
    has a couple of AU's with P/L surfaces - I await his images for comparison.

This Dime has tons of Die Polish lines - and the coin in hand is whiter - but the reverse
    rim toning placement is 100% correct - Once I get the new images from John, I'll edit this.

image >>

Mike, I guess you missed that 63+ PL dime when I had it up on the BST and on my eBay. I bought the coin out of a SoCal coin shop back in April and paid a decent premium for it because of how cool it looked. The coin shop was selling the coin as an unattributed branch mint proof actually, but I never thought it was a real proof. Listed it up on eBay and here on the forum and it sold pretty quickly to another forum member. Thought they'd have it for awhile, but I guess not!

Here's my pics of it when I had it and it had a different cert no. (must have been tried for an upgrade??):

Also attempted to get shots of the PL surfaces, but they didn't come out that great:

imageimage

Great coin!!! Congrats!!!
    I know it's a year away, and I was going to try to get to ANA in 2014, but the Mrs. just booked two weeks in Brazil during World Cup Finals! That's going to be a wild party, especially if Brazil is still in the thick of it. And for you guys who don't care much for soccer, imagine being in a stadium filled with about 100,000 scantily clad Brazilian women screaming and drinking and jumping up and down....

Yeah, ANA will have to wait til 2015!

Paesan
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brazil is crazy all the time, I can't imagine going during that. Unless you're one of those that can afford to commute by helicopter.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
    100,000 scantily clad women or MFH? Hmmm. Sorry Mike, no ANA for me in 2014.
    Vern
    l
    Every soccer game that Brazil plays in is a national holiday during World Cup. It's not like here. It's like the Super Bowl on steroids. I'm sure I'm going to have to sells some quarters out of The Stash to fund this trip!

Paesan
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Guess what just showed up on the Heritage website for the upcoming Long Beach auction. Another AU 1901-S quarter, this one PCGS AU55.

Doug
    And here I thought these things were rare.

01-S PC55
    Vern
    l
    And suddenly my crazy prediction for the under doesn't look so crazy anymore
    Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
    imageimage
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man this is nuts, another 01-s in AU.

With all that's coming up in this sale, I am going to be in big trouble. 2012 was a little slower in the scrap gold business, so its harder to hide large purchases.

jim

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Not only is there the two AU's, but a f-15 as well. Man talk about coming out of the woodwork

jim
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

First of all - one of my newps - the PL Dime I got at ANA - MS 63+ - I found out that this coin was on the BST
    in its old holder at a MS 63 - then when no one bought it - Mike Kittle - put it up on eBay - where it sold.
    Subsequently, the new owner sent it back to PCGS - where it upgraded into a newer Secure Plus holder and
    received an upgrade of 63+. Once that coin upgraded, it was sent to CAC - where it passed as a 63+.
    >>

Not entirely correct. The coin was purchased by me as PCGS MS63+ from the start. The local coin shop had it raw and they had it graded before they were willing to sell and it was always a PCGS MS63+. They also advertised it (incorrectly) as a "branch mint proof." I listed the coin exactly as I bought it, as a PCGS MS63+ and have posted the photos a few posts above this in the old 63+ holder w/ a different cert number. Sometime after I sold it, someone apparently cracked it out and had it regraded. If it wasn't a crack out, I do not believe the certification number would have changed.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Jim - coming out of the woodwork is right.

Mike - Lots of flash on your new 1915.

Pics for tonight, when submitted raw, what do you think these two graded?

Vern
    l
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - helluva nice run of dimes there, Mike!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike, Beautiful dimes. You have a great eye for them.

Vern, I like your amended signature line.

All, the 1893-O above was NGC 53 previously. The 16-D was a 45. I wanted to get an unbiased opinion from Pcgs, so they were cracked out instead of being crossed with the NGC grade visible.

Mike, Try guessing the numerical grade. You'll be amazed at the answers.

What does everyone think of 1909-O quarters in PCGS VF holders being listed from 1700 to 2000 dollars? I've recently seen two.

Paesan
    Mike - Great group of dimes, what a haul. Congratulations.

Paesan - Your 2 quarters (the 93-O and 16-D) are perfect examples of why grading will never be an exact science.

Pics for tonight, had my raw album out, so I took new pics. I think those old Wayyte Raymond boards are the best.

Vern
    l
    Also, the coin in the 01-S hole is an '01. Couldn't bring myself to crack the real 01-S.
    Vern
    l
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yet more awesome dimes, Mike, and I was duly impressed, then
    I saw that quarter set - geez, it's like something that should be housed in a museum!

I would assert though, that back when Wayte Raymond albums were de rigueur, such a set would
    likely have been almost impossible to assemble in such nice matching condition, given the scarcity of some of the pieces and limited mobility. The internet has made it easier, as now collectors have unlimited access to dealers and auctions across the country. Still takes a lot of time,
    but at least it's possible!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    BarberKeys

WONDERFUL set of Barber quarters! I have NEVER seen such a nicely matched set in high grade circulated condition together. That is one fine set! Kudos to you for putting it together. I wouldn't crack out the 01-S either, and what you subbed in fits perfectly.

Dr. Pete
    Mike - that is a gorgeous run of dimes. I am especially fond of the 95-S, 99-S and 02-O but they are all really, really nice ..

Vern - I hope to see those quarters some day in hand. Dr. Pete is right - it has to be a very prideful experience to view them all at once in the album - there is nothing like an album full of coins, especially when they are as nice as those. I have never seen such raw a set assembled. And it is one of the tougher series to complete like that.

Tough acts to follow but this coin is much nicer than even the photos Dave took .. Great color - fully original with super clean fields. Hammered with full, booming luster and a razor sharp strike ... purchased somewhat recently from you know where
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Awe inspiring set of quarters. When I grow up, I want a set a set like that.

Agree with Dr. Pete's comment, but its one thing to find them, it's another to find them with that degree of quality and originality, especially raw.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    I would like to thank my friends for assisting me in securing, what I consider, a great coin at this year's ANA. This piece will soon be on the way to our hosts for a regrade.

In a few days I will unleash my mediocre images on our group. Hopefully, they will be decent.

Great looking 09-o,

awesome pick up
    That's not great, It is Freaking amazing .. That is an Outstanding 09-O Quarter Craig imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimage
  • JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Some flat out awesome coins on this page, gentlemen. Great pick ups!

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file