Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKT - Welcome to the barber quarter registry. Both coins pictured there looked really nice. Hope to see more.

Met Walt for breakfast, our first in person meeting. Time flew as we discussed coins. Thought I'd post my favorite of his barber quarters, PC58:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Mr. Hayes asked that I post this.

Please note I have yet to master imaging of the Barbers of which I am the current "caretaker" but I am working on this.

Note: Many of the lines are on the holder & the semi PL surfaces are not picked up on these images (which are not my own). I'll post a proper image (some day)! ...LOL

imageimage

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

My name is John Thomas, but I've gone by JT for pretty much my entire life. Thanks very much for the "invite" onto this wonderful forum and thread! I have truly enjoyed reading this particular thread for quite some time now, and in doing so I have learned quite a bit from you guys. I truly am appreciative appreciative for this, and as part of this introduction Id just like to say Thank You to all of you who have contributed so generously to this thread.

It is truly my pleasure to join you all and be able to chime in from time to time. Thanks again.

JT

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

JT: Welcome image

Mike: ...About a dollar and a half short image

• LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum John!

Doug
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    image J.T., it's always nice to have more Barberites around image
  • JT-image
    Mike- Absolutely gorgeous coin.
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome JT!
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JT: Welcome aboard!

Vern/Walt/Craig/Mike: A pair of 96-S quarters PC58? Sweet, indeed! Thanks for sharing.

Paesan.....patiently awaiting an ANA update.
    More coins, less government.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the team, John, I mean, JT!

You saved your first post for a great thread.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
    Mike - I think Craig was lucky you weren't really assembling a qtr set when you saw the 96-S.

JT - Welcome, look forward to hearing your thoughts, on whatever pops up here.

I see the 09-O qtr in NGC-65 brought $12K plus the juice tonight at Heritage. I liked the coin, but WOW!!

No pics for tonight, for some reason my photobucket wouldn't open.
    Vern
    l

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the jungle JT .. Well wishes and lots of fun building your collections ...

Just back from a 3 day excursion (business) in L.A. .. great time and a couple of very late nights sandwiched around delayed flights in and out of the north east .. the cherry on top was a red eye arrival that was almost 2 hours late --- so I got in around 845am today and I am cranky!

That pair of 96-S Quarters beats any straight flush I have ever held .. Bravo.. Walt if you're listening - I have loved that coin since the first day you told me you acquired it .. Hope to see it in hand some day

Below are 2 of several new purchases since my last posting (not counting the 2000th post milestone). My half dollar collection has seen the vast majority of XF coins been sold off - keeping only the nicest coins or the toughest dates (04-S, etc.) .. While I am not really building sets per se any longer, the halves and quarters are in the 90% complete range so I will eventually complete it assuming I find the exact coins that appeal to me in the AU-MS range (any holder will do)

1911-D 25c PCGS MS62 - Fully original and "busy" mottled toning in golds and shades of amber, lilac and teal on the obverse. The reverse is more colorful with rose, blush, lilac and greens and aquas throughout ... Luster is there but subdued beneath the deep toning ... The strike is good on an issue normally weak and although the jury of 1 is still out on the toning, the fact that this coin is 100% original is of the most important attributes to me
    imageimage

1895-O Half Dollar PCGS AU58 - While browsing eBay a week or so ago, I refreshed the Barber Half Dollar listing and this coin appeared at about 1/3 the current market price so I bought it immediately feeling if it wasn't right for my collection, I could always sell it .. Coin arrived today. Sharp strike and a nice over all look .. This coin retains a powdery, soft and hazy appearance although I am quite certain this coin has been helped along at some point and likely has been rinsed at one time .. it is obvious that the dip was in a light solution and quick. There is a lot of thick original luster remaining and the over all look of the coin is quite pleasing .. I'd love to find another in this grade up to 63 but they don't grow on trees. I have really only studied it for 20-30 minutes so I may have more to add or have a change of heart ...
    imageimage

Good luck to all going to the ANA and to those who have successfully bid and won at the recent pre-show auctions

Glenn - Nice additions as described - I have seen some of your other relatively recent additions - very nice indeed - PM sent checking availability for a certain coin

imageimage
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Watched part of the Owen collection sell at Heritage auction yesterday on-line, some quarters and halves. I was amazed with the 1894 half NGC 65 Gold CAC hammering for $14K, perhaps because there are vanishingly few high-end barber halves with gold CAC stickers. Waiting also to see how the two 04-S halves finish tonight. I fully expected both the MS 65 and 66 to already be closer to what such coins have brought in the past. Perhaps what will happen is that the serious bidders will wait until the live auction to push up the bids, hoping to get a better price. It would be nice for anyone to "steal" one of these, but I fully expect the prices to be stronger when the lots are sold. We will know soon.
    Dr. Pete
    Anyone out there trying to add a 10-D quarter PCGS XF45 to their registry? Please send me a PM.

Thanks
    Paesan
    Mike, you have to be one of the busiest guys buying and selling Barber coins without calling yourself a dealer. I'm just amazed at the progress you make. If there is a definition of passion in coin collecting, I say it has a picture of MFH beside it. To sell dang near 3 complete collections almost exactly two years ago and be nearly complete on three more sets again is mind boggling. I love following your adventure.

Scott, I would love to see better pics of that 11-D. Not trying to pick on you, but your pics definitely do not do that coin justice from what I can see. I like the fact you have refocused on quality than having a complete set. I think that mindset is admirable.

I was having a quick reflection today. I have tried to complete three sets of Barber half dollars over the past 2+ years. I started out with a F/VF set in 2011 and got to about 75%. I sold it off to help purchase a home last year. I had a few left over and went back on a binge (a la MFH style) this past year. I got to 80% with a VF set and about 70% with a G/VG set. I sold all of the G/VG set and recently sold/consigned most of the VF set. I was thinking of the few date and mint marks I have never owned in any of these sets. The 92-O, 97-O, & 03-P. Maybe one day I will own these last three coins and I can say I completed a set. image
    Justin

Yes I agree if you find the final 3 coins it would be defined as a complete set - part 1 and part 2

And .. WoW .. I would like to think I have thicker skin than to get upset that you correctly (and too gingerly) point out my photography stinks .. call it like it is - I've said it hundreds of times. Lots of polished photographers around here - I am certainly not one of them - I do what I can and it leaves something to the imagination - It's like abstract art - everyone sees something different image

If I come up with a better set of pix I'll toss them up - it's a very hard coin to capture with the darker skin and toning .. The lighting has to be perfect and the macro lens I use is borderline useless.
    imageimage
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, Dr. Pete - thanks for the ANA reports.
    Sounds like Barber-mania is alive and well!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    Mike - I took a good look at that 04-O half in NGC-65 at lot viewing. Great eye appeal. But the half that blew me away was the 96-O in PCGS-64. If I had unlimited resources, that one would have joined my collection.

Scott - Like the 11-D qtr and 95-O half. Hope to see them in hand.

Pics for this AM, a quarter from my collection that will soon have an MS companion:

Vern
    l
    Love that 12-S
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Walkerguy: Vern was good enough to picture up a bunch of my coins. If you'd like to PM an address, I'll send you pix of 21-D.

Justin: Want to see the pix or wait for the coin?

Vern: Many thanks.

Paesan
    I don't mind seeing the pics first. image
    Thank you for the warm welcomes, all. Some outstanding coins have been posted in the past few days, as usual.

Scott: Though I know a separate thread thread exists about this, your post about your '97 S center mm was a terrific read. Posts like those are the reason I really enjoy this site. FWIW, looking at both yours and the sellers pictures, I would lean XF40, (though I wont pretend to be as seasoned a grader as most of you). In particular, the clear lower headband line and plenty of detail left on her forehead are more than enough to pass for XF IMHO. As others have said, it really doesn't matter a bit though. What a gorgeously original coin.

Paesan: I made an attempt to PM you, although I am not certain I did it correctly. I believe I am your man on the 10D you asked about.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

JT, Received and replied. Thanks!!

Paesan
    The other day I posted my home images of my new 1911-D PCGS MS62 quarter. Well here it is - a Coin facts plate coin .... But ... it was in an MS63 holder ... How it got into a 62 (where it belongs IMO) I will never know. Recon down grade? image
    Does that mean PCGS pays the collector the 1% commission? image
    Or do they pay them the difference in PCGS Price Guide for over grading/"Getting it wrong" the first time ?image

Can anyone say subjective?
    Grading controls pricing.
    Pricing can have wild and huge swings from grade to grade.
    Grading is subjective yet the difference in price between grades, especially for classic, scarce coins - whereby values increase exponentially higher the higher up the grading scale you go (i.e. bigger jumps as the numbers get higher)
    So that is a lot of control and power and no defined structural laws to govern .. Lots of grey areas and all opinion .. Ahhhh the joy of The Hobby of Kings.

Justin you asked for better images - here they are ....The reverse color is intense and pops when viewed in hand - Luster is subdued with it being on the darker side overall but the coin has that soft, creamy, pastel appearance -- swirling and free flowing when held in hand

imageimage
    One more coin I may have posted a month or so ago when I acquired it .. Better images this time around (that is, if this is the 2nd attempt). While this may be a common issue, this coin to me, is as perfect as an AU58 Barber Quarter could be. Pretty much smashed (hammered synonym). Absolutely pristine surfaces with full luster. Thick, hazy skin and subtle olive/golden hues over a consistent antique deep grey color. This coin is absolutely perfect.
    imageimage
    imageimage
    I like the new images. I bet it may be a bit dark for some, but I love it's character! Nice 97 as well!
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Scott, love your 97 quarter!

Doug
    Thank you Justin. Thank you Doug. Both of those coins have extreme differences but they each suit exactly my taste in coins .. It really is mostly about the skin of the coin that is most important to me. Without a really nice skin, it doesn't matter how nice everything else is .. the coin will never be better than just ok even with booming luster or a bold strike .. Of course when you get the nice skin along with booming luster and terrific eye appeal like the 1897, that is the ultimate in a coin as far as I am concerned.

The two coins above as well as this former NGC 61 1892-S Quarter, which recently crossed to PCGS MS62 all have a very unmessed with look about them. I find this coin to be very attractive.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to day hi to everyone out there. Had a nice BCCS meeting which was well attended. Especially by the nearby quarter boys!! image

The show has been busy busy busy. Averaging 4-5 hours if sleep the past few days, not enough but what you have to do. Demand for quality coins is strong and supply is a struggle to find. I was here buying since last Wednesday and so glad I did. It's made the show hugely successful and bought a lot of very cool coins, barbers but lots of others. I'll be reporting out more as I get the chance.

The first auction showed a lot of strong prices, Barbers did very well and I feel higher prices are coming now. Something has to give to bring out some fresh material and the market is responding. More thoughts on that later in detail. Time to jump in the shower and get going. Caruso, Stealer, Dennis88, MFH and yours truly Ponyexpress8 will be out on the floor or at 636. Say hi if you're here and you can! We'd love to see you!

Glenn
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
    Really, really like the look of that 92 S quarter.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just wanted to day hi to everyone out there. Had a nice BCCS meeting which was well attended. Especially by the nearby quarter boys!! image

The show has been busy busy busy. Averaging 4-5 hours if sleep the past few days, not enough but what you have to do. Demand for quality coins is strong and supply is a struggle to find. I was here buying since last Wednesday and so glad I did. It's made the show hugely successful and bought a lot of very cool coins, barbers but lots of others. I'll be reporting out more as I get the chance.

The first auction showed a lot of strong prices, Barbers did very well and I feel higher prices are coming now. Something has to give to bring out some fresh material and the market is responding. More thoughts on that later in detail. Time to jump in the shower and get going. Caruso, Stealer, Dennis88, MFH and yours truly Ponyexpress8 will be out on the floor or at 636. Say hi if you're here and you can! We'd love to see you!

Glenn >>

Glad to see an update. Be sure to have enough fun for the rest of us that can't be there! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    What a great week of numismatics it was in Rosemont, IL. Spent a lot of time with many collector friends, which is always the highlight of a big coin show. As has become a tradition for a few of us, the best coin show was in a hotel room one evening after the bourse closed, where each of us presents a few items from our collection for show and tell. This year we had seven attendees, and as always, some of the nicest barbers and indian cents to be found anywhere.

The show itself was very good, and seemed bigger than ever. An extra plus was the exhibit John Frost had at the Barber Coin Collector Society's table. It was a pleasure studying it, and spending time with John, who is a knowledgeable and passionate collector.

I'm glad to report that a few newps made their way into my collection. Over the next few days I'll post pics. Here's the first, PC65:

Vern
    l
    One other item I forgot to mention that was special to me, was examining in hand Mike Hayes' two error coins, the 95-O dime and '98 qtr. They are amazing. Wish I had unlimited funds.

Scott - Nice qtrs by the way.
    Vern
    l
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    That 96-O is amazing
    Paesan - Thanks, my pics don't do the 96-O justice.

Here's another PC65 newp:

Vern
    l
    Vern, those are some super Barbers! Great strike on the 01-O IMO. What's the black stuff? I used to own a beautiful 09-S in 63 that looked like a rubber band sat on it for a while. Luckily, nobody ever cleaned it, but the residue stayed behind.

Paesan
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike, I like it! Nice find.

Paesan
    Paesan - A more learned coin person than I suggested the black stuff was caused by slightly more pressure from the seams of the paper envelope the 01-O was stored in for many years.

Mike - Thanks for the compliments on the qtrs, they (along with 2 more to follow) came from the pre-ANA Heritage auction. Neat find on the PL dime. It's a first for me as well.

Pics for tonight, another newp from the pre-ANA, PC64:

Vern
    l
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a nice 1910-S, Mike! Very nice!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    The toning (particularly on the reverse) on that '04 S looks spectacular, Mike.

• rkprkp Posts: 443 ✭✭✭
    Mike, that 1904-s dime looks nice but what an ugly hand holding it !! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file