Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug, I love your 93-S. It's in my top 5 favorite dates.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Lenny! It's one of my favorite dates too, much tougher than the 92-S.

Doug
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike - Sounds like you had a very enjoyable and successful trip to Colorado. Look forward to pics.

For tonight, another tough date coin from the stash that I don't think I've posted before:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern

That '11S is another beauty!
    Frank

BHNC #203

• LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike, I believe that is the young lad that I have seen over at CoinTalk. I had no idea he was that young. Glad to hear he had a good time and hope to be hearing more from him soon.

Scott, thanks for the trivia. It was a learning experience for me.

And of course another gorgeous coin out of the stash. Is it the RPM variety?

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Today was the last day of the COS weekend show and with all the YN's helping us,
    I went touring around for myself. I met a dealer who had a nice selection of V Nickels,
    and I picked up a nice upgrade for my 1911; the one in my set came from my Grand-
    father's pocket change collection ( two years ago, I had his coins certified, and the 1911
    came back an AU 50.) my Newp is an MS 64+ and fully struck all around... Strong corn
    and hair details. Beautiful luster as well. I showed the coin to one of my advanced grading
    instructors, and he was very excited about it for me. It's a 65 any day of the week due to
    strike !

My other Newp is for my SLQ set, an ordinary Quarter with an extraordinary strike and
    presence ... Full shield & inner shield... All you could want in an SLQ without paying the
    FH premium. It's got an 85% FH. I'm very pleased with it.

Weather finally let up out here. It's actually beautifully mild. Lovin it !!

More later and once images are taken, I'll post em ASAP !! >>

Sounds like fun Mike!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    Hi Justin, Thanks for the compliment. I don't believe this 11-S is an RPM, but I have a very nice XF-40 that is. I sent it in for the slab acknowledgement and PCGS wrote minor variety on the label. Don't understand what makes it "minor" and I think the word gives the coin a negative connotation. I'd love to know by what standard is it minor vs. for example my 07-S RPM which is not minor (and then, alas, why is it not a "major" variety?

Anyway, I'm rambling for a man of few words. I'll send it to Vern for pix. I'll bet you like it. Right up your alley, I think.

Paesan
    Paesan - Look forward to seeing it in hand. Don't recall seeing any info on what differentiates a minor or major variety in PCGS's world.

Pics for tonight, from the SAM collection, just the right look to my eye, a PCGS-55:

Vern
    l
    That is a great 94P from Scott.

Paesan, from PCGS's online glossary:

"major variety
    A coin that is easily recognized as having a major difference from other coins of the same design, type, date, and mint."

"minor variety
    A coin that has a minor difference from other coins of the same design, type, date, and mint. This minor difference is barely discernible to the unaided eye. The difference between a major variety and a minor variety is a matter of degree."

I can't make any sense of that. I don't have a Cherrypicker's Guide , but I assume it isn't a variety that PCGS recognizes but acknowledges that there is a difference. They don't list it in their exceptions, so I assume it's not in the CPG. Anyone have a CPG that can see if the 11-S RPM is in there? Can't wait to see it though. A board member here has one in PCGS 55.

Also, I would like to direct everyone to my signature. I am looking to complete the BCCS journal series and only need a few more. I am looking for leads on the board. If that doesn't work, I'll see if Eileen can help me out or post it in the Journal.

Justin, Thanks for that info. Ironically, the 11-S (minor) is much more obvious than the 07-S RPM, for what it's worth. With the 07-S you just see a serif underlying but with the 11-S you can see the whole letter.

Agree that that 94-P half is screaming!

Paesan
    It's official! Got a pass from the hall monitor, errr, wife....will be at FUN on Thursday 7/11.

Paesan
    Justin & Paesan - That major & minor definition sounds like it leaves the door open to anything our hosts want to do. No surprise there.

Paesan - Good luck on the 11th.

Pics for tonight, from the Iowa collection, a beauty from the other end of the series, AU58:

Vern
    l
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    Wow,
    That 94 Half is Very nice.
    Hope everyone has a good 4th. We are lucky to live in such a wonderful country, despite its many flaws.

Pics for tonight, one from my raw collection:

Vern
    l
    Happy and safe Independence Day to all. Many flaws, I agree, but no place else I'd rather be.

Paesan
    Pics for tonight, from the stash, PC55:

Vern
    l
    Paesan, find me some VF halves at FUN! image And nice 97-S.

Vern, I can only imagine how impressive your raw set is. Right up my alley if they all look like that!

Hey Justin, I'll certainly be looking. If you want to PM me a number I can shoot pix of anything I see there. I definitely won't pass up any reasonable 97-S half that has no issues.

Vern, Thanks for posting 97-S quarter. I'll share a secret; that was an NGC 58 downgrade. I might do a recon on it but I'm happy with a 55 in the right holder for now. You've got a nice package coming your way. Hope you and Doug really like them.

Paesan
    Justin - My raw set has a lot of nice, similar looking coins, with a few that could use improvement. Thanks.

Paesan - Thanks, better than a coin show.

Pics for tonight, from the SAM collection, a tougher 'P' mint in PC58:

And then, another from my raw set:

Vern
    l
    Vern, It's nearly 4AM! Where are our pictures?????
    :-)

Paesan
    Paesan - Sorry, running late today.

New from the stash, PC64:

And while I'm at it, new pics from SAM, PC45:

Vern
    l
    Thanks Vern!

Scott, Not easy to find a better 01-O quarter. I wouldn't mind have a few XFs in The Stash.

Any opinions on the 1893 64 rim marks obverse at about 10:00? I'm wondering if it is a planchet thing or a rim bump? I don't think it's a distraction, but would like honest opinions.

Thanks

Paesan
    Paesan, I personally find them mildly distracting. Obviously not too much because I didn't notice them the first time. I believe they still are damage after striking. Maybe from being dropped in the pile after striking. Just assuming, not very technical. I think I could over look those marks with the overall quality of the coin. I tend to be pretty harsh on rim issues on my coins but I do have some. Just my 1/5th of a dime.
    Justin, Thanks for your thoughts. Respect your opinion.

Paesan

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Sounds like you had some luck finding coins. I can't wait to hear the results. And don't forget to check on those BCCS journals when you get a spare moment. image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Paesan - After taking a good look at your 1893, I'm reasonably certain those aren't rim bumps. I think they were made during the striking process when a little metal flowed at the edge of the die.

Mike - Good luck with the submission. Why did you crack out the 1895 quarter in PCGS63? Look forward to pics, down the road.

Pics for tonight, one of my many favorites from the Iowa collection, PC58:

Vern
    l

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Recent private purchase. Some here know this story; others may not. Proof like luster with a sharp strike particularly for this date; just a little soft on some of the lower stars (S1-S3 and S10-S13). No hairlines to speak of and some golden/blue rim tone that very well may be secondary toning blended with some older album tone. Coin has been slabbed since at least 2008; probably longer. Previous owner purchased from a dealer who bought this from a David Lawrence auction in 2008.

imageimage
    imageimage
    Good golly miss Molly that is one heck of a coin. I could gaze at thing for untold amounts of time. Awesome purchase! That's one of those coins that it doesn't matter what the price is. Thanks for sharing!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

<< <i> Good golly miss Molly that is one heck of a coin. I could gaze at thing for untold amounts of time. Awesome purchase! That's one of those coins that it doesn't matter what the price is. Thanks for sharing! >>

<< <i> Scott... One of the nicest AU 1896-O's available... Very impressive !! Congrats on just finding it !! >>

Thank you folks .. the person I bought from makes my pictures look like works done by Picasso ... ehhhhh not a good analogy ... How about photos by Mark Goodman? Or better yet, our own Vernon S.?
    I was leery as the photos were horrible .. I searched for the cert number on the slab high and low .. took me a day to find the David Lawrence auction from 08 .. It just arrived this morning .. My photos were done quickly while at work but came out decent enough, especially for me!

If anyone cares to guess the grade be my guest. More info and slab photo to follow
    imageimage
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous 96-O, Scott...I'm gonna guess it's AU58 based on I think you like 'em AU+...but it sure looks MS65 from the picture image If it is AU...that's more for a case of grades of AU being extended up to AU65. I really think AU60-65 could run right along MS60-65 in a grading scale.
    Scott, the only word I can think of right now is felony.

Congrats.
  • Wow...nice 96-o Scott. I'll guess a 55. Congrats on your other 96 as well if that was you.
    Thank you Larry.. You're on the right track that's for sure
    I took a chance and sent that guy a coded message thru eBay email that asked him to contact my private email.. But I had to do it in code.. I was just glad he figured it out and actually emailed me
    Then I had to hope he didn't think I was trying to scam him .. He had no idea how to send a Paypal invoice or even how to end an eBay auction early.. Had to walk him thru both processes they an email. He has some really nice coins. When I saw the 96-P listed, as I had already paid him for the 96-0 so we had some trust built up that's whenu had to teach him how to end the auction. I offered him his full opening bid right now via PayPal saving the eBay fees, 7 days and all the other aggravation (I did leave out the part of that coin probably going hundreds over the opening bid image )

I took the time and the chance. He did offer me a return privilege as his pix were awful and I paid him with a cc via PayPal just in case he played games after he got the cash. 96-P is in transit. The 96-0 just received today. He's got some nice Barbers and had had many of them for 10+ yrs

Turns out he is a really nice guy

So the cats pretty much out of the bag .. The coin is not PCGS graded but it is conservatively and IMO, properly graded. 55+/58 are each appropriate for the grade IMO image

imageimage
  • When he said he sent a 96 to MA I assumed it was to you. I must have missed that he had a 96-o or it would have stayed in Florida. I did pick up a 01-o in AU53 from him. It arrives tomorrow.image
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great look to that Barber. Congrats!!
    That was on ebay? How did I miss it?
    The 96-0 was on the bay for a week without a bid. I gambled no one would buy it with the poor pix, $2950 opening bid and NGC holder all working against him. After the auction I sent him my offer and all the previously mentioned details. I got it for about $500 below his eBay original opening bid
    imageimage
    That was a freaking steal. WOW!

<< <i> That was on ebay? How did I miss it? >>

Yes, eBay for a week with no bids .. Lousy pix is how u missed it image

1896-O NGC AU55 (warning: poor pix but trust me it is the same coin !!

I was really only afraid of 1 or 2 people possibly buying it or sniping at the end .. The market maker himself from GA but as his sets are pretty much all tightened up and he has an AU 96-O .. the fact these pix were horrendous and the coin being in an NGC holder told me the gamble was minimal and if I could get ion touch with the seller and convince him I would buy it right here and now and save him the 10% eBay fee ,., I may be able to save myself some money and it would be a win/win

I am happy for you Larry that these nice coins are going to collectors who very much appreciate them
    imageimage
  • I feel feel very fortunate on the 01-o deal. Don't feel bad Scott about the 01-o. I bought it before you bought the 96-o. You would have bought it for the price offered. Believe me! I'll post a picture if I can when it arrives.image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

<< <i>I feel feel very fortunate on the 01-o deal. Don't feel bad Scott about the 01-o. I bought it before you bought the 96-o. You would have bought it for the price offered. Believe me! I'll post a picture if I can when it arrives.image >>

I love seeing these higher grade O mint halves coming out. Can't wait to see pics.
    Scott - Great acquisition.

Notehunter - Look forward to seeing the pics.

Mike - Your 15-S is the definition of bright white.

Pics for tonight, Scott's 96-S half, to complement his 96-O:

Vern
    l
  • Working on the pictures of the 01-o pcgs AU53. Didn't work the first time. User error. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file