Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins folks .. Tried a couple white balance tweaks and adjusted my lighting set up slightly. I think these came out better than my original photos of the 1908-S Half. Far from perfect but better than before and a little more soothing on my eyes anyway

imageimage
    imageimage
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
    Ha! You're so right Mike but alas I keep persevering. I can't learn anything reading Mark Goodman's book so I'd venture a guess that if Vern demonstrated in front of me, I'd still flop. But it's fun trying. That's a tough coin to photo as well. Vern will have an opportunity very soon to show us his own image of that same coin.

Later somewhere this fall I will have Todd do another batch for me.

imageimage
    I.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    keyman64, sorry, I didn't know you had another Barber. So please give that
    1908-O Half to one of the kids so I can't be proven wrong. I think you should
    get a 7070 Dansco Type album for the kids and stick that coin in it.
    >>

Give away my most valuable Barber?!?! image
    To my very own children?!?!

Okay, sounds good to me. *POOF* It's gone. image

I had not thought about doing a 7070 with the kids. That could be fun. If I was doing it in the grades I like for myself, it would be torture. But in grades for them to fill holes, that might be fun. Thanks for the idea. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    I
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Doug, that's a beautiful 92-O Type I Quarter. Vern, your images are great, you
    need to discuss them with Scott.

Thanks Mike. That 92-O was from your first quarter collection.

Doug
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Here's a recent, raw, 1897-S Barber Quarter I picked up with a centered MM. I probably wont submit it for about a year, but I give it a 70% chance at grading. I like it as a F15/VF20.

Steve - that is a beauty -- Was that the one that was on eBay 2-3 weeks ago? I had it on a watch list and was going to throw a bid out -- If memory serves it sold cheap ... 300s or something silly ... I actually think it is a solid 30/35 from those images ... I picked up a CMM 97-S in an NGC-40 holder a month or so ago from Sam Sloat - Just got back from touring Florida and the mid west actually ........ Maybe the CMM is not quite as rare as perceived. Strange how these were "discovered" recently yet more and more have cropped up ... Where were they all 20 years ago?
    imageimage
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liking that '97S quarter, whether it slabs or not....tough, tough coin!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    yes, it was from eBay a couple of weeks ago. I paid like $360...I figure if it doesn't get in a holder, it's prolly still worth about $250. But it's upside value is pretty good if it does grade. Rich Uhrich in a post a few years ago wrote 3% of 97-S quarters have the center MM. I've looked at many hundreds of this date...I'd say he's real close at 3-5% with a centered MM.
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Mike, it's the same 92-O. Vern's photos give the coin a slight golden color. I love the coin!

Patches, if your 97-S grades, it looks more like a VF35.

Doug

<< <i> Patches, if your 97-S grades, it looks more like a VF35. >>

I agree Doug - I said the same thing to Steve in a PM earlier - solid 30 maybe even 35 ... Looks to have a similar look and amount of detail as the XF40 you just saw .. maybe just a little more wear .. That is a GREAT looking coin and a steal .. Great Job !
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott - I look forward to giving your 08-S half a shot.

Mike - Nice looking 08-O qtr. I think I'd better start looking at what Great Collections offers.

Patches - Nice pick on the 97-S, I think it could easily grade.

Pics for tonight, another of Doug's collection, from a familiar auction.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Great dimes, Mike...my favorites are the 1895-S and 1909-S image
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike - Quite the group of additions, glad to see an 09-S in there. My fav is the 95-S, perfect haze on the obv and all that color on the rev. It's like 2 coins in 1.

Pics for tonight, all those dimes reminded me that I hadn't posted one of the few I own, in a long time. My favorite date:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Vern, that is such a difficult date and I like the 96-O a lot. I have a want list 4 deep for that date and I just never see it. image

Mike I am with the others as I like your 95-S and 09-S the most of the lot. All are nice though.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To the barber quarter folks

to be fair to everyone, the 1911-d PCGS 58 starts tonight on e-bay at 8:30 eastern time, 3 day auction. I started the listing at about 20 bucks more than dave kahn got for his 55 a while back. I would have loved to sell the coin to each of you that were seriously interested, but several of you are "what I consider" good friends so it was the only way to be fair. Good luck to you,

If you consider the starting bid too high and pass, fair enough, but I can assure you it wont be re-listed.

Jim

ebay id jimdimmick
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll be watching from the cheap seats.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can figure why the 96-o dime lists so much less than the 95-o, is the 95-o that much tougher in higher grades.

The 95-o is on my list to aquire, I was actually going to look in Baltimore for one next week, the only ( key date in a series) dime I don't have currently.
    Getting away from dimes for a moment and we don't seem to put up pics of Liberty Nickels very often. One I picked up in Long Beach I totally fell in love with. Killer strike and sweet nickel toning. Off to CAC so we shall see what they think. Regardless though I am in love! image

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Hey Glenn - you are right about Liberty Nickels not being shown here .. I know very little about them but that one looks pristine .. I bet it glistens in hand - Looks gorgeous!

Back to the drawing board as I continue to try and improve picture taking skill (Reading Mark Goodman's book is a great piece although it hasn't translated into results yet for me - I believe it will pay dividends once I actually get the proper set up completed) ...A little better, still not great... Granted this coin is easier to shoot than some recent examples .. (Reverse shows 2 hairline fine cracks on/in the holder).. I've had this coin for about 2 years (courtesy of JJ Teaparty)

An applicable coin to show tonight as this date has been discussed recently on this thread, as it is a PCGS AU55. A date that is a little over rated IMO. This date has been available for sale numerous times during my collecting career, although most of the 11-D quarters I have seen have been VF... I like this coin, though it is a little softly struck. A little on the dark side (darker toning could be construed as borderline E/D but not so much in hand as pix makes it look).. Wonderful originality and a good deal of luster above and buried under the toning. Lots of dirt, grime and a very nice skin top it off. Attractive to my eyes.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loving the nickel Glenn!
    Here is my latest edition to the barber dime collection I have started. MS65 with CAC! Thanks Glenn!!!
    Vern-

Meant to say, Holy Smokes ... What a beautiful and RARE 96-O Dime ... WoW - Tremendous treasures you put on display ....
    imageimage
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern;

Agreed, great pick up.

Sam:

Great tough date.
    Congrats
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monster new dime, Jason - and a great photo of it!.

Have to agree the 11D quarter is somewhat overrated, at least in the VF/XF range......I know that I acquired enough of them to stop hoarding them image

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like Liberty Head Nickels and have had a few of them in the past in the MS64-MS66 range. If I ever finish playing with Mercury Dimes I might revisit them. Nice stuff!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Thanks for the kind words Mike, Sam and Jason.

Jason thanks for the kind words on the new dime as well.

Getting a bit of a start towards the trek to Colorado Springs today. I was so saddened to hear we have another fire going on. So much tragic destruction almost one year after they had a fire of the century. image

I hope things get a bit under control and the weather improves, to assist the firefighters before we arrive. With summer seminar and the two weeks of classes and the Colorado Springs Show in between, thankfully we have 9 days before things get underway, and hopefully the fire under control. Praying for a lot of reasons, but mostly for those who are directly affected which is the most important.

Mike, not only do I love your Proof Nickels and new 09-O dime, but I booked Chicago (ANA at Rosemont) so check your email. image

Despite my most intense efforts the cost will be about $1K greater this year then two years ago, nearly all the increase due to airfare and Motel.
    Oh well just have to work harder! image

Just another lovely Barber related coin. Had this beauty 3 years back I think. A pretty sweet looking design. CB could do a lot more then just liberty heads! image

If anyone wants to guess the grade give it a shot. Not my photo even, ha....

Here are my the latest editions to my liberty nickel set. A little weaker strike that I have been shooting for on the 1890, but this is the first one I have come across in quite a while!
    The 1905 is hammered and has booming luster! Both grade MS64, with the top PCGS and the bottom NGC.
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    I have been messing around with my settings.
    imageimage
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Very nice luster on that 94 Quarter Kevin - MS64 from a recent Teletrade auction? Either way - nice coin... I find the 1894 and 95 P dates to be very much under rated. I still haven't found a suitable AU or MS upgrade for my 1895 XF45.

Checking recent archives for 11-D Quarters on Heritage, Stacks, Teletrade etc ... very few AU55-MS63 - more have sold in the 62/63 range than 55/58. The 55 I presently have was purchased from JJT some 2+ years ago .. I find the 11-D to be over rated in VF/XF but not so much in choice AU or an attractive MS. Most of the 11-D quarters I have seen are not so attractive. of course the sample size is quite small.
    imageimage

<< <i>...........Happy hunting everyone - the eBay activity on a certain Quarter looks mighty thin. Guess
    we'll have to wait until tomorrow evening to see if it sells... & .... to whom ?? >>

I predict it won't end at it's current price. image

<< <i>I predict it won't end at it's current price. >>

Hey Justin .... I see you have replaced the batteries in your crystal ball image. Do you read Tarot cards or do palm reading on the side?
    imageimage
    No crystal ball needed on this one. If no one bids, I will! image
  • cuda123cuda123 Posts: 12 ✭✭
    My crystal balls shows us going head to head on that one image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Yacorie1Yacorie1 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    I love this thread because there is never a shortage of great coins to look at and plenty of information posted to learn from. I'm glad most of you collect in grades much higher than myself otherwise there may never be anything around.

Here are a few coins for me lately. I've noticed that 2 times now in the span of about 2 months I purchased the same date without realizing it. I need to create a list that I can keep on my phone - I find myself buying coins from my phone when I'm doing other stuff and lately I've been buying duplicates which I can't keep doing. I also need to work on my photos; taking pictures on the window sill only works at certain sun angles.

1908-o

Another 1908-O

Another 1898-S

I know not everyone likes the darker coins - but I like the darker look and it works out since they tend to hang around a bit longer instead of being snatched up instantly.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Very nice Yacorie. I like the dark ones too.
    [.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file