Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Mike I don't blame you one but for wanting to take that 99 half to the grave. That's a gorgeous coin. Perfect AU look .. Love that coin.

I haven't been around long enough to say, but I think the 09-0 is slightly ahead of the 97-S, although they're both so impossible the difference IMO is insignificant. I still have no 09-0 in my collection and only recently found the previously posted 97-S/40 with the center MM. I'd love to find a 97-S in AU or MS though.. I have a feeling if a 97-S in 62/63 became available the competition would be ferocious!
    imageimage
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Sorry I wont be able to post pics of the 01-S 25c in NGC G4 CAC. I sold it the following day, along with the proof 67 dime. Trying to get together with Todd in the morning for a few newp pics. Had a great time in NO, loved the food, enjoyed exploring and had an excellent show, which I am thankful for as I didn't hear that it was a good show for most dealers. Sometimes the stars align. image
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Hello Everyone,

BarberKeys,Vern

That 97-S is a sight to behold,I have to say that is a rare coin indeed.

I envy you for having such an original piece.

And you are right...doesn't matter what plastic its in.

Very Very nice coin.

Rob
    Rob
    Happy to hear you had a good time and show Glenn - fun city eh?

That 97-S is stupendous Vern .. You definitely have some of the nicest, most original and attractive coins - they truly are a sight to behold. The pictures are very attractive - your photographic skills are far more impressive than your modest admissions lead on .. they're crystal clear, unvarnished images with perfect lighting and are extremely realistic and accurate from all I have seen. You seem to have mastered the art of replicating the images accurately whereby the image doesn't look juiced, or the more frequent result of making the coin look worse, or over-enhancing a minor flaw or blemish.

But most of all, the coins are ALWAYS breathtaking and super original lookingimage
    imageimage
  • JMWJMW Posts: 497
    Two new additions to the dime set tonight. The 1914 is a AU 58 OGH and replaces the current AU58
    imageimage

The 14-D is an upgrade to the set
    imageimage
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to all for the kind words about my 97-S.

Glenn - Glad to hear NO was a good show.

Joe - You were lucky to get the 14-D, since Mike was making a play to corner the market.

Tonight's pics, a coin I bought raw in Balt, that just came back from our hosts. Any opinions on the grade?

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
    As I look at the pics of the 09-D, I think it'd be hard to get the grade based on the pics. I'll have to take new ones.
    Vern
    l
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There must be quite a few AU 14D dimes around - Mike, I passed on a nicely toned slider at the Melb show on
    Sun that the fellow wanted 62+ $ for, if you feel you just gotta have another one image I did pick up the primo original 93P slider he had though, and this one
    was priced < Greysheet AU50 Bid for whatever reason!

09D quarter - nice luster and secondary toning, but the hairlines may have kept it out of an MS holder - AU58?
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else notice a certain hoard of 93-S halves was partially listed on eBay today? The highest being a VF-25. And for the coin and the price, I'm not surprised it was gone in minutes.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    09D quarter - nice luster and secondary toning, but the hairlines may have kept it out of an MS holder - AU58? >>

I agree with that... or the stuck it in a low MS holder. Either way, nice 1909-D.

• dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone else notice a certain hoard of 93-S halves was partially listed on eBay today? The highest being a VF-25. And for the coin and the price, I'm not surprised it was gone in minutes. >>

Didn't see the 25 but I'm thinking that 20 and the 15's sit for a while.

Different seller, but I got a nice amusement out of the 1901-O quarter in PC45 for 2 Grand BIN that I saw today.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    Mike ,You have some very nice 1899 coins!! Love that Half.

Vern,
    Great 09-D. I will guess 58 if that is a bit of rub below Liberty, but it does have that MS look, so with the hairlines 62.
    Old coin, sellers pics.

killer 99-0 quarter Kevin-really nice image
    imageimage
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>killer 99-0 quarter Kevin-really nice image >>

I have to agree!

Great pick up
    Frank

BHNC #203

Nice one, KAJ1!

A newp for me from notehunter.

[.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Justin - Didn't see the 93-S's. The 25 was nice? And nice looking '02. Good addition.

Dennis - Yes, quite the price on that 01-O.

Kevin - Beautiful 99-O, tons of luster. Great acquisition.

Mike - Nice orig '06-O.

Answer to the 09-D, my pics look 58 to me.

Vern
    l
    That sure is a nice crusty 06-O, Mike. image

Vern, the 93-S in 25 looked nice to me. The pictures weren't the best, but I think you could get a good feel for detail and "color" with them. The 09-D looks like a must see in hand type a coin.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Very nice dimes, Mike. I hate to pick a favorite, but it's my nature. That 05-S is just one stunning hammered dime.
    I'm reminded of the famous line from Blazing Saddles: "somebody's gonna have to ride back into town and get a s#@*load of dimes"

Edit to report Photobucket is dastardly. Trying to upload images of my new graded Barbers. No dice.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, what a grouping, Mike.
    I agree with Log, the 05S is primo. That 02P really sings to me, too.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    Mike - Great group of dimes. Really like that '16, sure looks under graded.

Dennis - Excellent comment, I love that movie. Hope you get your photo bucket issue resolved. Would like to see those pics.
    Vern
    l
    Hello boys and girls - Nice coins all - Mike - cornering the dime market - Watch Out Dimeman ... Mike's on the prowl

Justin - another gorgeous 4 bits

Doug - Just picked up 2 coins of what I perceive to be your favorite date - One is a coin at PCGS expected to grade 62-63 and one is PCGS AU50 .. Both within 24 hours. Previous 3+ years I have located a single VF30 and a recently found NGC-55 that will be headed for a cross to a 99% certain 55. What's your favorite date of the series (barring the "big 3") .. I am curious to see if I am correct image

Bruins - Rangers on now on DVR - Haven't heard the results but my neighbor clapped and screamed earlier so I am guessing the Bs are up 3-0 ... Could have been a tying goal or even just a single goal though so I am not sure and going back in time now - Bye
    imageimage
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have this one in PCGS plastic, MS63, for my type set.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
    [.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Here's a brand new NEWP upgrade for my set:

>>

WOW!!! Nice!!
  • Yacorie1Yacorie1 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm reminded of the famous line from Blazing Saddles: "somebody's gonna have to ride back into town and get a s#@*load of dimes"

Edit to report Photobucket is dastardly. Trying to upload images of my new graded Barbers. No dice. >>

Dennis - That was one funny scene from Blazing Saddles !! - I think I have debugged Photobucket - finally.

Here's a brand new NEWP upgrade for my set:

Thanks for the Kudos for my new images - thank Messydesk - they're his skilled work !

Kiyote....

Thanks for sharing your Barber Dime with us ! >>

Thats quite the run of nice dimes.
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Scott, my favorite barber quarter (other than the big 3), would be from the following group: 1895-S, 1897-S, 1901-O, 1902-S, 1907-S, 1908-S, 1909-O, and 1914-S.
    If I had to pick one it would be 1901-O. Were you correct?

Doug

<< <i>Scott, my favorite barber quarter (other than the big 3), would be from the following group: 1895-S, 1897-S, 1901-O, 1902-S, 1907-S, 1908-S, 1909-O, and 1914-S. If I had to pick one it would be 1901-O. Were you correct? >>

I was in the ball park ..... 95-S .. Too many too close to choose from .. (Two too many too's?)
    imageimage
    Well, that was easy. Lance with the Cute Fat Puppy Head Icon has a good thread from April about New Improved Photobucket use.

I'm happy with my coins from my last submission. I didn't re-subscribe, so we'll see whether I buy any more coins for awhile. So many other hobbies and work related things going on that I think I'll stand with these for awhile. Halves I like:

1904-O XF45
    imageimage

1904-S VF30

1905-O VF25
    Dennis those half dollars are gorgeous - I love the 04-0; as nice as I've seen for that date. The 05-0 probably makes Justin drool - what a gorgeous trio
    Edit to add - It also appears VF25 is an under grade for that 05-O .. Looks pretty darn close to 35 to me and I don't see a reason for a net grade
    imageimage

<< <i>Dennis those half dollars are gorgeous - I love the 04-0; as nice as I've seen for that date. The 05-0 probably makes Justin drool - what a gorgeous trio >>

Drool is an understatement.

Gorgeous bunch of tough coins! image
    And calling that 05-O a 25 is a crime.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Personally I think that 05-O is close to XF, let alone 30 .. The wings are virtually all there - the Liberty is full and bold with bands beneath and above - there is plenty of forehead hair, the stars show three-dimensionality ...the overall detail on OBV and REV is consistent with a solid 35 IMO .. I am guessing something (like the color) caused a docking in the grader's eyes
    imageimage
  • Yacorie1Yacorie1 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    Dogwood - those are fantastic coins

<< <i>Personally I think that 05-O is close to XF, let alone 30 .. The wings are virtually all there - the Liberty is full and bold with bands beneath and above - there is plenty of forehead hair, the stars show three-dimensionality ...the overall detail on OBV and REV is consistent with a solid 35 IMO .. I am guessing something (like the color) caused a docking in the grader's eyes >>

I couldn't agree more. I'd love to see the coin in hand. And I would keep it! image

Edit: A new one arrived for me today.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daaaaaaang, Mike! Some really nice stuff posted in the last couple of days!
    I really like the 1899 AU55 50c, 1909-D MS64 10c and the 1907 MS63 Gold CAC 10C.

Fantastic stuff!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    Didn't see that 1910 Half Justin - Love it - that's a tough coin in VF. Touted as a semi key in AU, I disagree as I have seen more than 10 AU 1910 halves in 2+ years .. I think it is far more scarce in VF/XF than AU/MS .. And a really sweet look - Nice grab!

Two of the newp quarters arrived today - here is one of them .. Nice, choice surfaces although there are a few wispy hairlines in the obverse right field that are hard to see in these photos. This coin has the crustiness I prefer .. Particularly evident in the fields. There is an original coating of crust baked into the metal with luster and color beneath; shimmering against the glassy surfaces beneath the crust. Toned just enough to add some color and character. Pix are mostly accurate as to what the coin looks like in hand.

imageimage
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    The latest NEWP. Sellers pictures.
    The pictures are not that good, and show almost no luster, but the seller said that it's all there. It has a 14 day return.
    We shall see....
    image[/URL][/IMG] image[/URL][/IMG]
    Kiyote - Nice looking dime, thanks for posting.

Mike - Very attractive '00-S.

Dennis - Great looking halves. PCGS was pretty conservative. How about a pic of that 09-O qtr?

Justin - 1910, another beauty.

Scott - Beauty of a '95-S. How did Rask and Chara *iss away that 2-0 lead? My Wings are going strong (amazingly).

Kevin - Good date. Pics??????.
    Vern
    l
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Wow!

Edit: It's official. Thanks, Mike!!

Great move Justin, congrats!

Thanks to all for the comments on my little Trio of Halves.
    Mike - nice pick up on the 03-O, good look and a very good strike.

Justin - congrats on the 05-O, that is one stellar looking rarity.

Dennis - your 09-O is a strong 45 from a wear point of view. Can't get a feel for the color from your pics. What do you think with it in hand? And you are the king of finding 09-O's, your former 55 is still best of all AU's IMHO.
    Vern
    l

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file