Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    nice 92-O...I'm a fan of uploading on tinypic if you don't really care about keeping the image longterm
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Scott, Seems as if I underestimated that 97-S CMM. Glad you got it!
    Paesan.
    More coins, less government.
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Nice office supplies Joe - glad you like "them" image
    I think you did a fine job imaging that coin ... Certainly better than my futile attempt(s) ...

Dennis - that is a great submission - I would say you are extremely happy of those grades and coins - I too would love to see them in hand - particularly the 09-O Quarter and the 08-S Half ... I sold me 55 Half a few months ago - Didn't particularly like it even though I had no replacement .. Patience must be exercised
    imageimage
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott - Can't believe I didn't put 2 and 2 together on the 92-S qtr. Saw that coin at Central States in Heritage's auction viewing. Liked it then and was planning on bidding on it in the Saturday online session. Dementia is moving in.

Dennis - Great job on the submission. Looking forward to pics, especially the 09-O qtr.

Joe - Nice addition.

Pic for tonight, from my raw set. Don't think I've posted it before, but that dementia............

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Yacorie1Yacorie1 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    I think you guys need to put a legend or key up for all the first names - hard to keep track of who people are referring to. I know some of you and think I'm figuring out who the others are from people commenting on their coins.

Below is an 1895-S i purchased that I wans't sure about from the sellers photos. The pictures below are mine and I really wasn't a fan of the coin when I recieved it but it's grown on me somewhat. I'm not sure about some of the toning - it almost looked like coffee was splashed on it. I gave it an acetone bath to see if any of it would come off but the coin essentially still looks the same.

1895-S

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I Also this Proof Like 1894-S in AU 55 - without this coin in hand, I need to with hold comment on it.
    >>

MFH,

Did this coin ever arrive? I would love to see some more pictures of it, looks like a real stunner from the pictures.
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
    .. Kyle - PM sent.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Once I get it back from CAC, it's off to the Photographer.
    I promise to post all images as soon as I get them.

. >>

Can't Wait
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Yacorie1, the 95-s may not float all boats in the crusty department, but what it's got going for it is being a date that's just super tough in mid-grades, equal I think to the 93, 96 and 97 S-mints in VF, and it's antique skin is great. That's what proper silver does over the years!
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Nice one Mike - But it is out of order image .. Either way, it is a great coin to scoop up.
    I actually messaged Chris on that one myself but I only offered him $340 off line .. He told me a deal was in the works .. and then ultimately sold (to you)
    Al I know is the Bruins beat the Leafs in OT 4-3 in a classic ... What a Game

The hockey playoffs have been OUTSTANDING this year .. Great goaltending (except Fleury that is), great intensity, and the Canadiens are getting smoked ... Does it get any better? I think not
    imageimage
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin Mike! Looks like it would hold a candle next to any 63!
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Dennis nice submission results. Excellent job... image

Mike that's a sweet newp. Thumbs up.

Yacorie 1, nothing wrong with the Andy Warhol circ toned look. It's kind of cool.... Is the green on the reverse still some residual PVC? Sometimes it takes 2-3 acetone soakings overnight if thats what it is. Won't hurt the coin but eventually will take the green off if its PVC.

Busy today in the Big Easy. Nice start although it's been more wholesale then retail but hopefully the retail side will pick up tomorrow and Saturday if the thunderstorms forecast don't mess things up. Going out for a bit tonight now.

Picked up some pretty neat newps. Just saw the 01-S PCGS G4 go for bewtween $3500-$3600 with juice. Yuck on the coin though. Picked up an NGC G4 CAC that is so much better it isn't even a contest. I'll post a pic when I get back home and let you all judge the difference. image

Also picked up a lovely Proof Half in 64, a 95-O half in 65+ a luscious Proof Dime in 67 that has some pretty color. They are all going to be a big photo challenge so I might cheat and let new Dad Todd do these. image If he isn't too tired!

More to come over the next two days. I will try and post a bit more about the show and take a few pics. Time for, dinner, a bit of music and adult beverages!!

Glenn
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
    Glenn, I haven't visited New Orleans yet, but the food, music and a good coin show might lure me there next year. Glad you're having fun.
    Paesan

• JMWJMW Posts: 497
    A crossover to PCGS former Eliasberg NGC 58, now PCGS 58. PCGS did keep the pedigree as well

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    I wonder if a Paesan pedigree would mean anything....
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Scott - Nothing like the Stanley Cup playoffs, and I saw a good part of the B's 4-3 win over the Leafs. Great game. Now I need my Wings to win tonight (and then Sunday).

Joe - Congrats on getting the Eliasberg pedigree into your dime collection.

Mike - That '98 is one beautiful qtr.

Dennis - Thanks for mentioning that 13-S in 64, that was listed in the BST last week. I would have missed it until it was too late. Now it has a happy home with me.

Vern
    l
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern:

In a word:

WOW!

Congrats
    Frank

BHNC #203

I'm drooling!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    That is an amazing coin, Vern! image
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Great looking 13-S Vern, can't wait to see it in person!

Doug
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow Vern, "dogged quest" is your middle name!
    Nicely played, and I'm happy to have telegraphed the alert. I just thought it was such a cool thing to have passed through our boards, had to note it.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
    I put some pics to my registry set now. Most are seller pics and few are mine. I will eventually get them all imaged, but it will be a long while until the set is done so I thought I would share. Enjoy.

Registry link
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding!
    Just saw a good bossa nova show tonight, and my friends are acquiring some nice coins....
    Life is good....
    Justin - You really have a eye for nice original coins. Your set it coming along very nicely.

Paesan - Some have the bossa nova, others have a Wing's OT victory in Game 6. Now, one more tonight and life will really be good.

Pics for tonight, Mike's llittle sister.

Vern
    l
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Vern, great 13-S's...I'm glad that 64 on the BST went to a very appreciative home image
    Vern - that pair of 13-S Quarters beats any full house I have ever held (it trumps the: "catch perfect", inside 7 of clubs straight flush I caught in the river of a 7 card stud game 15 years ago as well) - Glorious !! ... I like the Wings over the Ducks tonight. This site won't let me post the name of the Detroit Red Wing's coach, Mike B. (it incorrectly thinks I am using profane language) and most of the team in fact, have too much experience. PIT over the Islanders was a no-brainer after they replaced Fleury with Vokoun ... I don't have as much faith in the B's .. they just can't score !!

Here is the 2nd coin purchased at the same time as the 92-S Quarter from a previous post. The obverse luster bands are very pronounced.:

imageimage

Below is the 1897-S quarter NGC-40 with the center MM. I am still on the fence of this coin being a true 35 or 40. I was convinced it was a 35 until I looked closely at it in hand. Both bands are full over and below Liberty. The wings do extend to the tips, although weak at the tips. All the obverse stars have the 6 sided three dimensionality and the overall detail is consistent with extremely fine. The patina is somewhat dull or lack luster. There is some old original dirt in the recesses. Although it may have XF40 detail, maybe it is knocked to 35 for the lackluster and dull look. I am not familiar with the striking of this issue; my own experience with these coins tells me this one is softly struck but at this grade level it becomes increasingly more difficult to differentiate strike weakness with wear. I still think it is a solid VF35 although I wouldn't object to an XF40 grade .. It is really close. Regardless, the coin appears to be a nice original piece

imageimage
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Scott - Having seen your new 05-S in hand, I can say that in this case your pictures don't do the coin justice. And I still like your 97-S as a 40.

Mike - Can't remember your other 1899, but it can't look any nicer that this one. Congrats.

Lastly, life is good, Redwings win game 7 last night (Scott, hope the B's can do the same tonight).
    Vern
    l
    I agree Vern - my photography costs me thousands image

So the B's down 3 defensemen, including 2 of their top 4 (Seidenberg and Ference) and down 4-1 with 8 min left in the 3rd come back to win in OT. They scored 2 goals with the goalie pulled in the final 90 seconds of the 3rd period to tie it - I have never seen that in 40 years of watching and playing hockey .. Unreal

Just found out it is the first time in the history of the NHL that a team has come back from a 3 goal deficit in the 3rd period of a game 7 and win the game.
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike, I always thought you were crazy for all the sets you have done...(not so much crazy...more like passionate) But I realized you were nuts when you thought you could do a quarter set in date sequence. image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Scott - What a finish to the B's game. Wish I'd have seen it. Now we'll have a couple of great second round matchups, Bos/NY and Det/Chi. What a wonderful time of year.

Mike - You amaze me with your group of '99 dimes. You certainly are a passionate collector. And congrats on the addition of the '12 qtr, but what's this about an old friend joining the hunt for nice barber quarters? The competition is strong enough as is. Plus it sounds as if you are ramping up your quarter campaign, with the "next three" in the pipeline. I look forward to hearing about them, and seeing pics. What a great hobby.

Since you have put out the 1899 date, I thought I'd make the pics for tonight a beautiful '99 from the Iowa collection. A PC55.

Vern
    l
    Anyone happen to see that 1899 half /58 PC on eBay last night?
    Looked like a beauty. Went for strong price for one of the most common coins in the series.. Proves quality always comes at strong prices. If someone here won it congrats
    imageimage

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    [.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219

<< <i>You've seen my 1893-S in 53 - I paid $700 more for that coin in my latest set than I received for
    my 1893-S in PCGS 58 CAC - from my sale in Chicago - 21 months ago. >>

I think my stock broker has been taking advice from you.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

<< <i>you really have to pony up for great toning. >>

Yes I couldn't agree more with this statement. There will always be strong collector demand for quality coins with strong eye appeal... After all, isn't this what coin collecting is all about? I know the trend is towards stickers and old holders, and the value of NGC graded coins is approaching third world status which is fine by me image. Frankly, I could care less if they are raw or slabbed, as long as I like the coins (cliche I know)

I had to take a mortgage out to pay for my 93-S/58 half dollar and a certain visitor to this forum can attest the 1905-P/55 half with great toning was at a sizable premium. And I would do it again. My hope is that this statement eventually applies to 100% of the coins I own.

I am whittling down my collection, selling off all the average or below average eye appeal coins or those less than mostly original - even without replacements ... Not really trying to build or maintain a full set at this time anyway .. The once complete half dollar set is now 5 coins short of completion and will have even more holes before there are less. But there are also duplicates in several dates and in some cases 3 or 4 examples and in time, the holes will likely get filled. The duplicate coins are great barter currency for collectors who prefer coins over cash

The 02-S Quarter with the amazing toning, along with 5 other delicacies, are currently en route to a certain stash for an in hand review/opinion and maybe a few pictures.

PS - It was I who picked up the 99/58 Half Dollar as I loved the toning. I had no intention on biding that coin so it was a somewhat spontaneous decision. As I already had my other 99 Half/53 up for sale (former DKRC Cass coin), all the mor eresason to jump on a coin with that look.
    imageimage
    Just a random heads up:

DLRC posted an 04-S in 45 CAC on their website.

I pointed that 45 out to a couple of folks Sunday I believe - looks pretty darn nice to me - perfect 45 IMO - One of his "auctions" - reserve will likely be $4k or thereabouts
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike - I love your AU55 1899.

Scott - I agree with you 100% regarding eye appeal and paying up for the right coin. And it certainly doesn't matter which brand of plastic, if any, the right coin is in.

Justin/Mike - Saw that 04-S on DLRC site. Not bad, but if memory serves me (which is questionable anymore), I like the one Mike got from Dave Kahn better.

Pics for tonight, an example of it doesn't matter what brand of plastic it's in.

Vern
    l
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭
    MFH that '99 AU55 is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! image
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet '99 half you posted Mike!

But I'm really impressed with that 97S quarter posted by Barberkeys. IMO, the #4 coin in the series that's loaded with tough issues.
    Yes, I rank it ahead of the 09O, but you real students of the series can convince me otherwise with data.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file