Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    I think it could go either way but the luster probably vaulted it over the top

BTW Vern .. Very nice pair of 97-O Quarters ... Gorgeous .. and the 15 quarter is heavenly!
    imageimage
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I met several Barber 1/2 collectors I hadn't met before at the GNA show!
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Pictures don't do the coins justice. That's why I don't over exert myself to take the perfect picture. From what I can tell though, that 94P looks like a stunning coin, and it doesn't look like the 11-D is shabby itself. Darrell is just miffed he doesn't have a 58. image The 98-O looks like a good coin as well. Great additions Scott.

Darrell, I assume you will be sending me an email of the 03-O in the near future. At least you better be. image
    Justin...you know I have to razz Scott! image

I will try and get a pic of the 03-O. It's OK...I like em like BU Morgans or spectacular light irredesent toning in 58...this one doesn't have either but is graded right.
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Needless to say, I was in "Hog Heaven" today.

Picked out a few from the "Stash" which I took with me...
    and selected another Bakers' Dozen" for a future day.

I need to have images taken of my newps ... and there are
    a few even Paesan knows nothing about,,seems my sources
    knew where I was today and they wanted a "slice of the pie"
    before I come up on "empty" !! So... Hang onto your hats...
    this'll be a bumpy ride, Boys.

Nice Halves, Scott.really nice !!! >>

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Nice halves Scott!

Looks like my guess on the fingerprinted 13-S will be blown out of the water. I can't wait to see it in person next Wednesday and see if it looks as bad in hand.

Doug
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Justin - The replacement '97-O was PCGS-40.

Scott - Really like the '94 half. I agree, PCGS got the grades backwards.

Darrell - Look forward to seeing the '03-O.

Mike - Heard your get together was great. There aren't too many things more enjoyable than spending time with a fellow collector, looking at coins and chitchatting.

Doug - Guess the magic number trumps eye appeal/quality. Can't wait to see it in hand Wednesday.

For tonight, another beauty from the Iowa collection.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
    Well, I am assuming MFH has some newps. Or at least that's what I got out of that post. image

Another beauty in the Iowa set. You quarter guys really find some good ones.

Here is Darrell's new purchase he mentioned in an earlier post:

Thanks,Justin!

Well...I had to buy this coin without a light...or a better way to say it was I didn't have the time. Turns out the coin is nicer than I expected! I R Happy! image

Vern...I keep waiting on you to stun us with an 01-S quarter now body knew about! image

Mike...whay are you reasing???? image

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paesan is mourning the loss of two coins from The Stash. Will be back soon.
    Gents: All coins posted are looking good.

Ciao.
    More coins, less government.
    [
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

<< <i>.....Be forewarned Barberites, there is an old player back collecting "the look" in Halves. An old friend who helped me
    tremendously when I first started collecting. >>

Sounds like prices just went up again.... image
    Darrell - that is a gorgeous 03-O - exactly "the look" I like ..

Justin - as always; thank you for your compliments - Doug, Vern and everyone else as well ...

Love the 08-D Quarter - Doug's coins never disappoint .. they always impress

I have heard a lot about "the look" over the years .. I realize generally VF/XF "look" and occasionally spilling into crusty and/or toned AU coins .. Can't speak for anyone else, but there are multiple types of look I like .. all subtly different.

PS The 02-S/58 quarter auctioned on TT tonight is en route to a stash about 1600 miles NE of the original "stash" image
    imageimage
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I concur that that 1903-O has THE Look for me in the AU scale. Light golden hue, just the right amount of random dirt, and luster that still radiates.

So Arco is back into Barbers, huh? Talkin' about Look, that's my guess.

No purchases at Santa Clara yesterday. I guess since I just submitted a group to The House for grading, I didn't feel like starting a new pile, nor did anything really grab me. That 01-O half I reported about here in January did make it into a PC 63 holder. (Edit to say it is being offered by the same dealer who had it raw.) Who knows how long that'll sit. It's a tweener. But it sure is sweet for those that like that date. image
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
    ?????????????
    Darrell - Excellent 03-O. And bought w/o a light??
    And believe me, I keep hoping to come up with an 01-S no one knew about as well.

Scott - Can't wait to see pics of the 02-S you took from TT.

Pic for tonight, a beauty from Paesan's stash.

Vern
    l
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    That 99-S is one hammered coin!
    Mike - I still think the 99-S is one of the toughest in nice AU58 or MS.

Justin - I agree, Paesan's 99-S above (which is PCGS-64 by the way), is about as fully struck as they come.

Since I have this date on my mind, here's the one in my raw set.

Vern
    l
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    That 99-S is hammered!
    Nice coins all. Love that 08-D.
    I have no new Newps of late.
    I have been getting out bid on everything!
    I got outbid on the 04-O on Ebay... I looked very nice.
    Very sweet 01-O. That is becoming my favorite date in the series.
    Dilemma:

Listed an 1896 Half AU50 on the BST and on eBay .. this is one gorgeous coin - described by myself as "one of, if not THE most original circulated Barber coins I have handled" .. (I think the proper grade is XF45 and my current 45 is "irreplaceable" .. So I decided to sell the AU50 as much as I love the coin .. Just too many newps and tough decisions must be made .. off tangent-different story for different day)...

Anyway, shortly after listing coin I got on the phone with a friend .. While talking, figured I would see if he was interested in this coin ... didn't take long for this person to say yes .. I was at work in another room and walking towards my office to end the auction when my iPhone alert went off that the item sold (item #261205447708) .. DOH!!!

So the item sells on eBay within minutes, of listing it .. and I "sold" the item to the person on the phone seconds prior to it "selling" on eBay .. He pays me immediately. 6 year eBay member with over 4000 FB

Sent the "eBay buyer" an email explaining the truthful situation that just unfolded ... asking if he would be gracious enough to cancel the deal .. 20 minutes goes by no reply.. the longer I wait (and hold his money) .. the foggier it gets

What to do
    imageimage
    SAM-Coin goes to the eBay buyer. Good chance he will ignore your request. If I liked a coin and bought it, then got a request like that, I don't think I'd just give it up without a little incentive if you know what I mean.
    -Paesan

PS I made my peace.
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, "let me close the eBay auction and call you back to confirm the sale" would be the proper chronological order. The phone person should have been the only one contacted with the bad news.
    Not huge, just one of those things.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
    The way I see it, unless you stated in the auction that the coin may be sold outside of eBay, you owe the coin to the eBay buyer. I did happen to see the coin you listed and thought it was relatively cheap for the year and (non) MM. It was a very nice coin. I'm not surprised someone snatched it so quick.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Scott - I'd say the ebay buyer gets the coin. Your friend on the phone should understand. Unfortunate timing. Had this happen to me once, where I was the guy on the phone, and the seller left the coin on ebay for a day after we made our agreement, and it sold through ebay. S*** happens.

Mike - That's one beautiful 1900 half, and should be the picture in the dictionary next to the definition of album toning. Wonder why it wouldn't 3, when it was sent in for the shield?

Going to be fun in Schaumburg later today.

For tonight, a very tough coin from Paesan's stash.

Vern
    l
    And here's something to contemplate.

Vern
    l
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And here's something to contemplate.

image >>

WOW!

enough said
    Frank

BHNC #203

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    1913-S above is incredible!

Question for the 04-S half fans:

I saw this 1904-S was miscategorized in the Franklin category. Is that why it went cheap? or is that the going rate?
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    Mike,
    Wow, that is one outstanding half!

Vern,
    I am in awe. What a gem !
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

<< <i>Dilemma:

Listed an 1896 Half AU50 on the BST and on eBay .. this is one gorgeous coin - described by myself as "one of, if not THE most original circulated Barber coins I have handled" .. (I think the proper grade is XF45 and my current 45 is "irreplaceable" .. So I decided to sell the AU50 as much as I love the coin .. Just too many newps and tough decisions must be made .. off tangent-different story for different day)...

Anyway, shortly after listing coin I got on the phone with a friend .. While talking, figured I would see if he was interested in this coin ... didn't take long for this person to say yes .. I was at work in another room and walking towards my office to end the auction when my iPhone alert went off that the item sold (item #261205447708) .. DOH!!!

So the item sells on eBay within minutes, of listing it .. and I "sold" the item to the person on the phone seconds prior to it "selling" on eBay .. He pays me immediately. 6 year eBay member with over 4000 FB

Sent the "eBay buyer" an email explaining the truthful situation that just unfolded ... asking if he would be gracious enough to cancel the deal .. 20 minutes goes by no reply.. the longer I wait (and hold his money) .. the foggier it gets

What to do >>

I have been in this situation on both sides(never got any of the coins I purchased on ebay). I state in all my listings that my listings are subject to being sold in other venues. I actually bought an Iphone to help do away with this problem. If I sell a coin I have listed on ebay I immediately go to end the listing. Even this was flawed 1 time. I sold a coin at a show that had been on ebay for a couple of weeks. I was in the listing ending it when someone bought it! It makes for some a** kissing but I have always been able to make the person on ebay understand and offer a discount on something else if I have something they are interested in. When I sell a coin....I sell it to the 1st person who commits to buy it. I am surprised by the other members here responses!

Vern...yeap..no light...sometimes you have to take a chance and it paid off! That's 1 heck of a 13-S quarter!

Mike! What a bullseye!

Ga.Cop....I sold one a few weeks ago for $129...maybe this is it and the seller didn't want to bring attention to a quick flip!
    David Lawrence has acquired and is selling a 1894-S Barber Dime MS64 -
    1894-S Dime PR-64

registry of known 1894-S Dimes: registry of known 1894-S Dimes
    imageimage
    01-O 58 sold for 5400+ last night!!! WOW! Looked to be a floor bidder too.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    I just got home from the Central States show in Chicago. What a great show and fun auction. The 01-O quarter was much nicer in hand than the photos, and I thought it looked pretty
    good online. The coin is very well struck for a 01-O, and has considerable luster. I'll let the winning bidder step forth with the news when they chose.

I went crazy and won the AU58 08-S at the auction. It's an upgrade to my XF45, and gets me down to only three coins for a complete set of AU barber quarters. I can't believe the quality
    of this gem. It would be a stunning coin even if it was an 08 or 08-D. I'd love to know the story behind the coin, the who, what and where of it. I'll see if Vern will post photos sometime soon.

Doug
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a newp for the Half Date set.... it reminded me of my 1901...

New Holder: { Seller's images }

imageimage

Old Holder: { Heritage's images }

imageimage >>

MFH, That Coin Is OUTSTANDING!
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
    Congrats Doug - Coin looks outstanding to me - I am sure you will enjoy the coin for many years

From the sound of it the show was a great time - Was anyone there for the fire alarm? Hope was just a false alarm

Mike - failed to comment on the 1900 Half .. I saw that coin on the bay - really sweet - I have to restrain myself from buying everything or I'd end up bankrupt .. That is gorgeous - Congrats!

Barber Market is challenging the bust half market; actually probably trumped it in some ways ..
    imageimage
    Doug, Congrats on your 08-S! For you to speak so highly of it (and the 01-O) I'm sure they are special coins. I'm still mesmerized by the fact that these high end AU Barbers are bringing 64-65 money. Scott even pointed out to me that the 97-S half is priced higher in the PCGS guide than the MS coins. That shocked me. They are going to have to do that with the 01-O and 08-S quarters now too.

Mike, amazing toning on that half. Common date Morgans that look like that sell for thousands.

I'm waiting for leftovers!!

Paesan
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Thanks Scott, Lenny, and Mike. I'm very happy with my new acquisition, but sometimes I wonder if I get carried away when I bid many multiples of retail for special coins.
    I know quality never comes cheaply.

Doug
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Central States has been a very enjoyable experience, with more to come today. And I'm the one who acquired the 01-O quarter from Heritage Wednesday night. More to follow this weekend.
    Vern
    l
  • JMWJMW Posts: 497
    Wow, there are some beautiful coins being posted these days. Congratulations to all and great images as well.
    I just found this one for my quarter set. Falls into the "crusty" department, PCGS 53

imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file