Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219

<< <i>Here is the link to the article paesan referred to. I like Evan Gale.

CAC thoughts >>

I certainly like what he has to say.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Here is the link to the article paesan referred to. I like Evan Gale.

CAC thoughts >>

Yes, I agree, the coin is the coin, is the coin but if you are only a hobbyist - not a dyed in the wool
    Numismatist you seek as much protection as you can get. It's effiestist to disparage the causal
    hobbyist referring that they don't know how to grade for themselves and have no place in this hobby.
    Boy, that makes my blood boil..... >>

I don't think anyone here claimed that if you can't grade yourself, then you have no place in the hobby. I hope that was just an experience outside of this circle.

I know I stated , "The only consistent grader one can rely on is themselves." But I by no means meant that people that don't know how to grade shouldn't be in the hobby. Although, if someone were to start spending a significant part of their income, etc. I would expect them to better themselves in terms of grading and knowledge of the series.

And a note on the plus designation. They don't do that in my lowly grade range. image
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keyman, Great 92-o quarter. Are all the coins in your raw set purchased raw? If so, I think that's an incredible accomplishment. Personally, I've cracked a few out for my raw set.

Logman, I only wish that all my AUs were the same quality as your VFs. The word "lowly" cannot be used here. I'm sure that was tongue in cheek.

Mike, I think we all want to be able to make a buck when we sell. I know that the CAC sticker helps. I just wish it didn't. It's superfluous to me.
    (I always liked that word. I also like pusillanimous but I can't use it here.) If someone can make 100$ by putting a 15$ sticker on a coin, I guess that makes me the fool for not doing so.

Paesan

PS All coins in stash with a CAC sticker are subject to a 20% surcharge!

More coins, less government.
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PS All coins in stash with a CAC sticker are subject to a 20% surcharge! >>

Good one !! Had to change my shorts

Vern - every coin you post is at least a 9.5 .. and I agree - if all those coins were acquired raw, that is impressive!!

Broke down and dropped a c note to download the Complete Led Zeppelin (remastered) on iTunes .. A lot of live stuff - 170 songs .. Some of the cuts have Plant in his absolute prime - his voice has such power and range .. He is very melodic and he does a lot of scat singing .. He and Page go back and forth like Ella imitating Dizzy Gillespie's trumpet or Lionel Hampton's keys .. Now She is IMO the best vocalist to ever live. Led Zeppelin was an amazing quartet .. Page alone carried the live performances alone as far as the strings went - no rhythm guitarists .. And to create such big, thick, full, melodic sound ?? Now that is impressive!! ...Of course all 4 were absolute musical geniuses. John Paul Jones is probably one of the most under rated, unrecognized (rock, although I think this disclaimer is unnecessary) musical master to ever live. Sadly, Bonham passed away and the group called it quits far too early ...

Couple of new pickups - a couple are "from one stash to the next" - The 95-S (and I have to agree with Doug on this one; one of the hardest dates to find above F) has a very similar look and skin to my current 99-O (the marks seen are all on the holder; lots of scuffs on this holder)

A couple of different angles - I call them skin shots (they shouldn't be called anything but terrible photography technically but I do the best I can muster) .. ehhhhh .. the side angle shots depicting the rim and a 90 degree table height view

The first is the 07-D (This coin defines PQBQ if I may be so brash as to borrow that copyrighted term image), non CAC I chose over coin with the sticker of the same date/grade/TPG etc. .. And to be clear, I am not anti-CAC .. I am indifferent .. Obviously not all coins have had a visit so non-CAC stickered coins could theoretically be coins that would be approved (future participle) .. All I am saying is my selection was strictly on the merits of the metal and not the plastic, plastic or chemical based compounds in the immediate vicinity of the metallic substance. image

Bon appetit

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checked my raw collection, in its current form, all but six were bought raw.

Scott - Way to go on the newps, nice coins, tough dates, lots of originality. Especially like the 99-S.
    Also like your taste in music. Early Zep is about as good as it gets, raw and refined together. Personally, also a big fan of early AC/DC (when Scott was alive).

Another thought on TPG and CAC, is this comment on + designations by Rick Snow, in another thread in the forum. Rick is the guru of Indian Cents, and owner of Eagle Eye RC.

Plus designations
    (you need to scroll down to EagleEye)

How about that? Coins with a plus must trade on the sight-unseen network. Hmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    I think the sight unseen network came about shortly after TPG caught hold, with that idea that coins could trade like commodities. The thinking was that all certified MS63's (or MS65's) of a given date and type had the same value. After all, they had been graded and certified by professional graders. New coin dealers who couldn't tell a two cent piece from a half cent appeared on bourse floors, because they could read the slab insert. The Coin Dealer Newsletter started publishing the "bluesheet", giving sight unseen prices for PCGS, NGC and ANACS graded coins, for all coin series. Investment grade coins were ones MS65 and above. At the end of 1989 any barber quarter in MS65 was bid at over $3,000. Today they're at $900. The investment, sight unseen craze collapsed in the early 1990's. By the end of 1991, type barber quarters in MS65 were down to around $1,000.

What surprised me most about Rick Snow's comments in the above link, was that a sight unseen market still existed for anything other than generic Morgans, Walkers, etc. And that the + designation was a part of the process.

I looked at my records and saw that of the six slabbed coins I broke out to put in my raw set, five were upgrades (or at least examples I liked better) of existing raw purchased coins. The only coin that I didn't have raw, interestingly enough, was a 95-S. Here is that coin, a PCGS-25 (and I must say it needs improvement):

Vern
    l
    Vern, Thanks for the link and the info on the sight unseen market. I wasn't actively collecting at the time, but I'm glad I missed the hype.

Scott, Love Led Zep. Top 5 favorites for me are 1) Ten Years Gone, 2) You're Time is Gonna Come, 3) No Quarter, 4) When the Levee Breaks, 5) Fool in the Rain. Funny that Stairway to Heaven is arguably the best rock-and roll song of all time. I don't even think it's the best song on that album, but I do love it. The only song that they ever did that I just can't listen to is Cashmere.

Confession: I open myself to ridicule, but I can take it! I turned into quite the disco boy in the 80s. In fact, when Freestyle was at it's peak, I could roller-skate with the best of them. I probably still got some moves, but there isn't a rink within 50 miles of here! There used to be one in every town. I have a collection of 12" singles and a turntable with those giant speakers somewhere in my attic, along with some "crusty" roller-skates! Oddly enough, what I like to listen to now is Bossa Nova and 80s alternative. (Depeche Mode, Cure, etc.) I also miss playing a good game of pinball.

Oh, Nice coins, Scott! I haven't seen a decent 95-S AU in quite some time.

Paesan

Mike - that was really well said about newb collectors and the entire state of the sight unseen network. 1000% agree all about the Morgains, Saints, etc and thank you for your positive feedback and thoughtful words. Don't think anyone fits the description of such person here either..

Personally I think some of the nicest Barber coins I've seen are in the VF range, particularly grades of 30, 35 and 40. Some of my favorite coins, and all the coins I've seen from LPs set are exemplary. The old sets from RLD, Mitch, Joe W are all loaded with the best available 30s, 35s, 40s and just a few of the choicest 20-25s or 45s. Those perfect 30/35 coins are as good as it gets

Great 95-S Vern - really sweet! That's great info on the market before I was really into collecting ... Goes to show how much the prices can change - ebb and flow of the tide. I was turning over bullion pretty swiftly and furiously from 2009-2011 ... Got caught at the end though - with silver around $48, got stuck with a half a monster box of Maples .. cost averaging I di ok but if you look from April 2011-June 2011 I got murdered .. In my short "career" of collecting, the coin that I saw increase the most in the shortest period of time was ... (This really doesn't count as it is modern and it is Canadian ..BUT, it is the coin that yielded me the biggest and quickest "ROI" .... The 1 oz Canadian Timber Wolf - 1st coin of the RCM WIldlife Series. I bought 3 tubes of 25 coins in September 2010 for $750 per tube with shipping and sold them for $1300 apiece last April (19 months they went from $750 to $1300 or about an 85% increase). I am quite sure others bought key date coins that probably doubled over night ... But this is my personal best and fastest return (not that I am in this for that; just worked out that way)

Vern - Saw AC/DC second year with Brian Johnson at The Boston Garden; I think it was .. Maybe 1982 .. Also the last year they were permitted to fire the cannons in Massachusetts (For those about to rock)

Len - Great songs couldnt agree more .. add in That's the Way and Bron -yr-aur-stomp - like the live acoustic versions at Earls Court (1972? See YouTube search that's the way live earls court) or any of those live. Hotdog, Traveling Riverside Blues, Custard Pie. These guys were TALENTED and gifted.
    imageimage
    Music postscript: I nominate U2 as the most overrated band ever!

Paesan
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Scott - I'm envious, seeing AC/DC (even if without Bon Scott), back when they still had their juice.

Paesan - Must strongly disagree with you on U2. Joshua Tree is one of the all-time great albums. My opinion, most over-rated rock band easily goes to the Stones. And even though there wasn't a disco "scene" out here in the midwest, I kind of liked the music. On the rare occasions I hear TSOP, by MFSB, I can't stay in my seat.

Figured I'd better put a coin pic here, so this post would remain relevant with the thread.

Vern
    l
    Mike, Glad I could make you laugh.

Vern, Finally! We disagree on something!!! Can't listen to U2 for more than 5 minutes but interesting take on the Stones being overrated.
    Another nice quarter...

To All: Happy Easter. Family day tomorrow. Enjoy!

Paesan

What's better than a rack of lamb chops and mint jelly?
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Dang, you guys, who knew?
    A bunch of rockers!
    (Dancing Days is number one, I'm sorry.)

Couldn't agree more about the beauty of 30-40 barber quarters. Moreso than the halves actually, they just look so nice even after the wingtips flatten out a bit and you lose the lower band of liberty. And being that it doesn't make sense to slab a lot of those dates, they can stay raw in my collection and honestly, I can forget about them for a while then enjoy them like little surprises occasionally.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What! No mention of Dazed and Confused??? Seems appropriate for the grades given the last year or so! image
    [
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    Happy Easter everyone!
    It's a good day to buy a coin!

<< <i>What! No mention of Dazed and Confused??? Seems appropriate for the grades given the last year or so! >>

ROFL - That was a good one D

The article written by Aspen Coins regarding CAC is summarizes my exact feelings on the topic .. all excellent points and I couldn't state my own feelings and thoughts towards the topic better myself.

I actually made the point recently that dealers who are CAC members that have split inventories of CAC and non-CAC coins would be potentially hurting themselves as many potential customers may wonder why those coins are not stickered.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed a trend of Teletrade and Great Collections becoming a dumping ground? The last 5-6 auctions are occupied with details graded/problem coins, R-1 common coins in mid-grade, or other assorted junk primarily in the AG3-VG10 grade range. I've seen very little I would call interesting
    imageimage
    For halves, I agree, Scott. For the quarters, TT has had some decent ones recently. The 92P in the 64 old ANACS holder going off tonight looks like a real stunner.

<< <i>For halves, I agree, Scott. For the quarters, TT has had some decent ones recently. The 92P in the 64 old ANACS holder going off tonight looks like a real stunner. >>

Yes .. there are a few nice coins and have been in the past couple months .. and I have seen a few nice halves.. I meant it to read as more and more/the majority of what is being offered is problem coins/junk

I have seen only 2-3 coins in the past 4 GC auctions I would even consider buying.
    imageimage

<< <i>

<< <i>For halves, I agree, Scott. For the quarters, TT has had some decent ones recently. The 92P in the 64 old ANACS holder going off tonight looks like a real stunner. >>

Yes .. there are a few nice coins and have been in the past couple months .. and I have seen a few nice halves.. I meant it to read as more and more/the majority of what is being offered is problem coins/junk

I have seen only 2-3 coins in the past 4 GC auctions I would even consider buying. >>

Yes, the majority is not what I would consider buying.

I can't remember ever seeing a half on GC that I had to have. Or one I would consider buying. I'm sure I missed some along the lines. I don't check every auction.
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    One can look at any auction of any company and see some nice coins and retreads. This includes the biggest auction companies.

Hope everyone had a Happy Easter. image
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
    Had a great Easter, Glenn. It was my daughters first one!

Here are some halves I reserved a while ago and supposed to pick up in Baltimore. Unfortunately, I never made it to the show so Darrell sent them to me. Hope you don't mind me using your photos, Darrell.

• ³o¬O¦A¥Î¤Æ¾ÇÃľ¯²M¬~«á

• �i¥»µo²{ªº¼Ë¤l

¸g¹L¤Æ¾ÇÃľ¯ªºÀ¿«ø

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

<< <i>God save us. >>

Lol.

Those are gorgeous.
  • After the discovery of this coin

(1) electroplating Pharmacy wipe

(2) wash silver impregnated
    Justin - 3 really nice halves. Congrats.

Waihaha - Even in english you have me confused. Good date tho.
    Vern
    l
  • ­ü!»y¨¥¦³»Ùê§Ú¤]µLªk¸Ô²Ó»¡³oµw¹ôªº¨Ó¾ú°£«D§A­Ì¦³¤HÀ´±oÁcÅ餤¤å(¥xÆW¤å¦r)
    I couldn't have said it better..
    Vern
    l
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    Oh My.

In my best George Takei voice.
    A newp, the one Darrell won at Heritage's auction a couple of weeks ago. I have a feeling this beauty's going to travel west this weekend.

Vern
    l
    Vern, it looks like a great coin. I'm not sure what the western comment was about? Are you reselling it?
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    LOL Justin! Watch out for the picture police!

I would say Vern is going to resubmit...alias head west to our hosts!
    Justin - Those VF Halves are might fine indeed (no pun intended) .. I really like the 11-P but the 98-S is equally appealing; maybe more so being a tougher coin to find.. Almost every 98-S coin (Quarters and Halves) I have located have been abused - even certified ones

<< <i>LOL Justin! Watch out for the picture police! I would say Vern is going to resubmit...alias head west to our hosts! >>

That's right .. West to PCGS .. What a beauty ! That was the accidental bid coin right Darrell

Start watermarking those photos Darrell ... Or, you could just concede that imitation is the best form of flattery .. Although I think it's just the easiest way to post an image .. You could spend a few hours taking, editing and uploading the photos only to find they stink and you were far better off using the original photos (My daily experience)

I have to admit, I love the looks of those "contemporary counterfeits" .. Very interesting works of art .. Least they would never be mistaken as replicas

Mike - I have had no troubles locating newps - Just found 4 from one site yesterday (92-O/58, 02-O/55, 99-S/55, 14-D/58) and an 06-O/40 & 10-D/50 from another - Sent an email to the Paeasn last night with the seller's original images -- All look like Beauties! Hoping they are as nice in handimage
    imageimage

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Scott,Yes that was the coin. I terrorized Vern into thinking it might make me start a quarter set so we worked out a deal! image
    Teaparty just listed a bunch of new quarter purchases for all you quarter nuts!

<< <i>Teaparty just listed a bunch of new quarter purchases for all you quarter nuts! >>

All the good stuff is gone ! I got an email from Gail asking if I wanted something from the list - told her yes to one coin - she emailed back it was already gone!
    As the saying goes, all of the good ones are taken
    imageimage
    Scott - Are those quarters you acquired? Look forward to seeing the pics.

The 1900 just rec'd from Darrell won't go anywhere near Long Beach again. Maybe as far west as Iowa, and that's it. It is a nice ORIGINAL coin, but accurately graded as a 55. And yes, Darrell did strongarm his way into a deal. We quarter collectors are very happy he sticks with halves.

And with halves in mind, what do you think, if I crack this out of its NGC MS holder, what are the chances it will come back PC58?

Vern
    l
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one beautiful '93S half!

I'll let the real experts determine if you might get 'lucky' and downgraded to AU58....but, if (or more likely when) this AU58 mania dies down,
    do you think you will still be better off with the coin as a PC58 vs- an NGC MSX? Of course, if you are planning on auctioning it soon, or really need it for your own Everyman set, then submit away!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    Is an upgrade out of the question? I'd send it in. My guess is anything from 58 to 62 will bring more than an NGC 61. I'd probably try to cross with min grade 58 instead of breaking it out, though. I have an NGC 55 coming soon. Can't wait!!!!
    Paesan
    Nice 93-S Vern !!! - I presume the chatter down by the chin is exaggerated by the lens? .. That coin has a really nice look to it - Bet it has great skin .. I thought I saw an NGC 61 recently at Heritage but I could be mistaken. Take the62 grade over the alternative .. A dipped NGC 58 that sold last year at Heritage went for $2100; the 58 I got from Cary was quite a bit more than that. Recently, 63s have been available for sale through both Harlan Berk and David Lawrence in the $5100-$6000 range

Here is an answer to the denomination of those acquisitions .. Will also yield the source in the same breath. I think all look really nice except the 02-O which appears dipped but not destroyed. I think the 14-D is the cat's meow of the litter, with the "highly over rated" 99-S not far behind it

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭✭
    I want to play (again)

www.brunkauctions.com

Very nice coins, Scott. I like the die chip on the 92-O.
    I have some nice 93-O and 15-S quarters to trade for all you guys with the overrated 99-S's
    Scott, congrats on your coins. I think I like the 92-o the best, and now I see the chip. Good eye, Justin.

Paesan
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file