Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Master Mike, you're definitely a coin magnet! Nice 92-o, congrats.
    More coins, less government.
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paesan - Agree, Texas Holdem ain't poker, it's just another reality TV show.

Scott - Good luck in Baltimore. Golf???? It's still winter here.

Mike - Great additions, 09-S is such a tough dime.

For tonight, here's my 2 quarters tossed into the pot:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Mike, great 1909-S Dime...it's my favorite date in the series
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    High stakes pot Vern...

2' snow in Boston too - 65 and sunny in Wilmington DE where me and 2 guys from Phily played - albeit muddy.
    PS I really suck image

Mike - ill let you know if I find your requested piece
    imageimage
    [
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Keyman, Beautiful pair of 96's in the hole. I'm out. As of today, you are no longer Keyman cause the man with all the keys has to be "The Locksmith!"

Master Mike, That 09-s dime is quite special. Did you say that it used to be yours and you are looking for a replacement? I'd have a hard time parting with that one.

To all: Is there an idiot's guide to putting up pix on this thread?

Paesan

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Barbers guys.

Really nice 09-S dime Mike.
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    Mike,
    Great 09-S. Good luck in your quest.
    Latest Newp, These are the sellers pics. Looks pretty close in hand. image

Two thumbs up on that 06 quarter!
    Yes that is certainly a nice 06 Quarter - I know the previous owner well enough to say there are no dogs in that stash ... image... Nothing but the best
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    KAJ - Real nice '06. Congrats.

For tonight, another beauty from the Iowa collection:
    Vern
    l
    Locksmith, Stunning 04-O. You don't surprise me any more. Do you take requests? How bout an 02-s?
    Mike- I'd rather not disclose identities publicly but you know of him if you don't know him directly
    I haven't even located a raw any grade 09-S dime in Baltimore, let alone a problem free PCGS original AU. Maybe today.

I had Todd from BluCC photo a box of 20 Barbers for me - results in about a week. He's a really nice guy

Only 2 modest newps yesterday: a raw 09-S quarter XF40/45 original skinned nice coin and a 1910-P quarter in PC-50. another nice coin with nice skin, light tone and good luster.

Hoping today brings a little more luck
    imageimage
    Barberkeys,
    Not only do you have outstanding coins, You take outstanding pictures. I however do not. Reverse is crazy! PL fields. A shame there is rub on the Obverse. It will go to PCGS soon.
    imageimage
    imageimage

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    I won this on TT a while back. I think I got it for a song, after I lost out on a PCGS 58 CAC! image
    I too thought 55++ on Obverse , 64/65 Reverse. And was hoping THAT would get it into a PC58.
    You know a lot , meaning 1000x more, than me Mike, I think it would be a shame to be in a 55.
    But it is what it is....
    KAJ, I have to agree with The Master. Don't think that 15-s will cross. The good news is that I've seen quite a few pcgs 15-s quarters so if that's what you want it shouldn't be hard to find. Maybe the guy with the stash?
    (But I'll bet The Master has a much bigger stash)
    Good luck!!
    Paesan
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Kevin - the 15-S PC-58 CAC is a marvelous coin - booming luster and all original .. I've had 2 or 2 ppl ask me to sell it to them . NFS!!
    There've been several 15-S AU coins for sale recently and yours looks great.

Had a lot of fun with Darrell and Olga the past 2 days - great people - good times!

I've seen two very nice MS64 quarters, a 99-S in the $1600-$1700 range and a 12-S, price unknown.

I came really close to pulling the trigger on the 99-S. Beautiful reverse toning on the first while the obverse was mostly silver with great detail/strike and original flow lines strongly evident. super clean fields and solid luster. I studied the coin for a long time and spoke with the dealer; well known and respected dealer who dabbles in Barbers. While talking with him, he gave me the background of the coin - he actually made the coin. He disclosed he gave it a very quick ultra light dip to remove ugly black toning on the obv. I wouldn't have suspected the dip as the reverse had a beautiful golden/amber tone and free flowing cartwheel luster . The obv was just a little off which is why I hesitated - but I will say the coin really appeared fully original .. If i hadn't had someone close do a quick research and looked up recent auction prices to find two 64s selling at HA for $1050-$1100 and a 65 for $1700, I probably would have bought the coin. thinking we were too far apart (id have gone to $1250-$1300 max), I just politely thanked him and let it go. I do have a very orig 50 en route to me currently in the mail.. Supposed to be really nice. I must also say of all the under rated dates in the series, I find the 99-S to be over rated in AU and under rated in MS - the pops speak for it. 7 or 8 auctions for AU the past year and they still bring strong money. Will be interesting to see what that washed out looking 55 brings at HA later in the month .. A smaller dealer had a really nice 12-S in 64. He had vacated his booth - twice on Thursday I went back to check on it and he was nowhere to be found. A neighboring dealer said he hadn't seen him in a while. I went back today to see him and of course the 12-S was gone! What a shock !!

Not a ton of nice Barber material at Baltimore in my 2 days there - couple nice raw quarters, a nice 10-P in a PC-50 holder and I also grabbed a really nice 92 half PC-58 from DK that he had on his website for a few days. Incredible natural toning, and as much as I don't need the coin, it was too nice to pass up

My goal was to find nice coins either raw or in ANACS or NGC holders but they just weren't there or were already sold dealer-dealer/early bird.......there were plenty of 16-D, 92-0,92-P but nothing of even a slightly better date barring the 1910-P or MS-66/PR-67s). ... I'm in no mindset or hurry to cross coins; maybe if/when I want to sell them, but for the time being, ill take all the original skinned NGC/ANACS coins that people want to overlook... Was a little disappointing not to find much

I did see an amazing complete Lib nickel set on display (NFS). All coins were MS65-67 - all were CAC. If i remember correctly the 12-S was a booming golden hued 65+ and just awe-inspiring. what a SET!! All I could say was wow!

Learned a lot and continue to learn more.
    imageimage
    Didn't mean to offend. Just having some fun
    It's all good fun Paesan

One of, and probably the highlight of the newps (although I could have ordered it from my living room LOL) .. Very nice and 10x nicer in hand .. Swirling free flowing luster and beautiful album toning .. Out of focus as these were thumbnails and I had to blow them up - Obviously DK's photos .. As usual, coin in hand is far nicer than the image

imageimage
    imageimage
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was fun and a pleasure to meet you too Scott!

I've struck out so far as far as additions to my set so far this show. image

Fingers crossed for today! image

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    A recent pickup of mine...I'm comfortable with the F-15 grade by our hosts:

Thanks Mike, it's a sweet coin for sure

Nice 13-S Steve.. Looks like a solid 15 to me... and original ... Been a few of those in 15 lately. I know DLawrence and Coast each had a 15. NFC had a so so 35 for sale on their website a couple weeks ago. They put it in eBay last week but ended the auction early - either sold at Balt or off line I presume. Had a lot of marks in the shield but for $7500, I was going to buy it as its pretty scarce in VF/XF. If it wasn't nice in hand (marks too visible or otherwise lacked appeal), I was confident in flipping it as that price would have been "buying it right" IMO.

I called the dealer from Baltimore who had the 99-S 64 and left a message - hopefully the coins still available - will advise
    imageimage
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    KAJ, very nice pick-ups!

Scott, I saw that half on DK's site and if I collected AU halves, it would have been gone by now. I just thought the look of that coin was superb.

Patches, very nice original 13-S. With a mintage of 40K, there just cant be too many of those that nice.

As for me, I haven't bought any thing new for a while.

Scott, I hope you had a good Baltimore trip. Sorry we couldn't meet this time.
    Paesan - Keep having fun. It's the best part of the hobby. And below is your request.

Scott - Very nice original half. Sounds like you had a great time in Baltimore.

Patches - Great look on such a tough coin. Congratulations.

This is the best 02-S I've owned, traded to our friend in Raleigh a couple of years back, for (at that time) his favorite half:

Vern
    l
    Beautiful 02-S. Right up my alley.
    Hope you weren't one of the offended.

Love the 13-S F-15.

Paesan
    Paesan - Not at all, keep having fun.
    Vern
    l
  • I bought this in the SB auction. PCGS MS64
    Sweet half, agentjim007.
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Last night for fun, I categorized AU barber quarters into groups of similar rarity/availability. Although my opinions are constantly changing, here are my current rankings:

Key dates: 1896-s, 1901-S, 1913-S

1st tier semi-keys: 1897-S, 1901-O, 1909-O, 1914-S

2nd tier semi-keys: 1896-O, 1897-O, 1905-O, 1908-S, 1911-D

3rd tier semi-keys: 1895-S, 1898-O, 1900-O, 1902-S, 1905-S, 1906-O, 1907-S, 1909-S, 1911-S, 1912-S

Better dates: 1892-S, 1893-S, 1898-S, 1899-S, 1903-S, 1904-O, 1910-D, 1913

Tough dates: 1894-O, 1895-O, 1899-O, 1902-O, 1903-O, 1907-D, 1915-S

Uncommon dates: 1893-O, 1901, 1903, 1904, 1905, 1906, 1906-D, 1907-O, 1913-D

Common dates: 1892, 1892-O, 1893, 1897, 1898, 1899, 1900, 1900-S, 1902, 1907, 1908, 1908-D, 1908-O, 1909, 1909-D, 1911, 1912, 1914, 1914-D, 1915, 1915-D, 1916, 1916-D

Most under-rated: 1895-S, 1906-O

Most over-rated: 1899-S, 1904-O

Let's hear your thoughts and opinions on these rankings. Don't be shy, I won't be offended if you strongly disagree with me.

Doug
    Like your chart Doug - Some of those are one's personal experiences obviously - several may be interchangeable from one tier to the next based on one's own personal experiences and what one encounters (timing). I think the assessment is pretty spot on myself. I think the 11-D and 08-S should be in the 3rd tier or even one lower - I find them to be over rated as my experiences have seen each of those 5 or more times each in 12-18 months vs. ZERO times (or once in the case of the 06-O) for the 06-O, 02-S, 05-S, et.al. I think the 1913 is probably over rated also - Along with the 58 I won from Heritage a year ago, DK recently sold one, there have been 3 or 4 in other auctions recently, Teaparty had one, Bozarth has had an AU58 on eBay for months

I don't know how under rated the 95-S as anyone I have spoken to claims that to be a near impossible find in a nice AU. I have seen only one 06-O AU in two years; a hideously spotted and ugly one on TT recently. I can't even find that coin in anything above VG actually as I have watched for it in XF,AU and MS

I haven't checked them all but at a glance noticed no mention of 1894, 95 and 96 (P in all 3 cases) .. Any not mentioned in the common category? I happen to think any of those 3 could easily be in the next tier up. I know the 1896 is well talked about for being a tougher P date - I happen to think the 94 and 95 are not all that common in AU myself.
    imageimage
    Hi Doug, Cool chart. I love charts, especially with lots of tiers. Since you won't be "offended" here are my takes....

Move the following up:
    09-O, 05-O, 95-S, 93-S, 06, 00-S (in 55-58, not 50-53) 07-S

Move the following down:
    11-D, 15-S, 13, 04-O

Most over-rated:
    Switch the 99-S for an 11-D and I'll raise you a 1913

Most underated, I'll see your 95-S and raise you an 05-S and an 00-O

Paesan

<< <i>Like your chart Doug - Some of those are one's personal experiences obviously - several may be interchangeable from one tier to the next based on one's own personal experiences and what one encounters (timing). I think the assessment is pretty spot on myself. I think the 11-D and 08-S should be in the 3rd tier or even one lower - I find them to be over rated as my experiences have seen each of those 5 or more times each in 12-18 months vs. ZERO times (or once in the case of the 06-O) for the 06-O, 02-S, 05-S, et.al. I think the 1913 is probably over rated also - Along with the 58 I won from Heritage a year ago, DK recently sold one, there have been 3 or 4 in other auctions recently, Teaparty had one, Bozarth has had an AU58 on eBay for months

I don't know how under rated the 95-S as anyone I have spoken to claims that to be a near impossible find in a nice AU. I have seen only one 06-O AU in two years; a hideously spotted and ugly one on TT recently. I can't even find that coin in anything above VG actually as I have watched for it in XF,AU and MS

I haven't checked them all but at a glance noticed no mention of 1894, 95 and 96 (P in all 3 cases) .. Any not mentioned in the common category? I happen to think any of those 3 could easily be in the next tier up. I know the 1896 is well talked about for being a tougher P date - I happen to think the 94 and 95 are not all that common in AU myself. >>

Scott,

Thanks for pointing out my omission of several dates. When I wrote down my categories last night I moved several around and so I missed adding the following dates to my "Tough dates" category:
    1894, 1894-S, 1895, 1896, and 1910. This should then include all 74 coins in the set. I also agree that the 1913 date is over-rated, I dropped it from my first draft 3rd tier semi-keys to the better date category.
    You make good points on the 11-D and 08-S as far as current availability, but my respect for the scarcity of those two dates for a longer term probably overrides the recent auction appearances in my rankings.
    I think we completely agree about our under-rated picks as you also mention the 02-S and 05-S, two very tough under-rated coins.

Paesan,

Thanks for your thoughts on the list. What's interesting about this type of exercise is learning other's perceptions through their personal collecting experiences. There are no rights or wrongs to anyone's opinions
    or thoughts. I like your addition of the 1900-O to the under-rated list, a good choice and a date not mentioned very often. You also confirm under-rated status for the 95-S and 05-S, and over-rated status for the 04-O and 1913.

Keep the great responses coming!

Doug

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Fellow Paesans: Just want to give a scam alert. I recently found an eBay coin that I really liked and put in a generous bid in the last few seconds. The bid was actually about 200$ more than I really wanted to pay, but I didn't wanted to get my sack squeezed. Anyway, I was outbid and I shrugged my shoulders and went to bed. Next day I get a second chance offer from the seller, offering me the coin for my max bid. So I figure I got outbid by a shill, exposes my max bid, which was about 150$ over the next underbidder, and this clown figures I want the coin! So I say Hey, Goombah...I'll give you ten bucks over the underbidder and not a nickel more. Of course he didn't have the stones and ignored my offer, so I let it go. P*ssed me off. So don't bite on second chance offers without talking to the Paesan first....

buonanotte
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Agentjim - nice acquisition, thanks for posting pic.

Doug - I like your ranking system. My opinion is that there are a lot of under-rated dates, but I currently give the 07-S the nod as most under-rated. I'd say that the 15-S is most over-rated.

Paesan - Thanks for the scam alert. There are tons of crooked sellers on ebay, we all need to be on our toes.

Pics for tonight, the 07-S from my raw set, an acquisition from Doug a couple of years ago:

Vern
    l
    Vern, still love that 07-S!

Doug
    Doug,
    Nice chart.
    I won this on Teletrade last night.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to echo what Mike posted on the Summer Class. We are both at work augmenting and improving from last year which was the first time we offered the class. It was a great time by all and like any class not only do the students learn but us instructors as well. It's not a class that will be available every year so if you have an inclination to take it, do it! image

Had a great time at the NWCC club show in Minnesota. I must confess though it was pretty cold for this California boy. image

Doug nice chart, I don't see anything I would disagree much with off the top of my head.

Adding full pics of the S/S/S here for all to see. Great photos everyone, I enjoy looking at each and every one of them.

Glenn

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Mike. For those who haven't seen the 1901-O via Heritage, Hayes, Legend I have imaged it below:

• dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice radical chip mark on the 08-o quarter. Not too familiar with the accounts of others beyond the 04-o half with the shallow cheek wedge pointing to the ear.

I love lists + Barbers and I think those laid out here are pretty swell. If I still used my desktop I'd post pix of one from the second tier but I'll leave it up to others.

Love the closeups from Vern's raw set as much as the macro-view shot. Those coins are freakin wholesome!

1901-O quarter frenzy is ON! Great 64.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
    That 01-O is making me drool!
    KAJ - Interesting 08-O with that "as made" depression. Can't recall seeing one that pronounced on a quarter.

Glenn - Thanks for the added pics on the s/s/s dime.

Craig - Wonder if the upcoming 58 01-O will bring more than your 64 did? If so, somewhere a reality check will be in order.

Dennis - Below are pix of an old friend from Doug's second tier. And another from my raw set.

Vern
    l

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file