Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Vern - that 09-O is easily hands down the nicest circulated 09-O quarter I have ever seen. And I like Walt's 09-O 45 a lot too .. but that is absolutely killer!

I don't know what the 01-O 64 sold for, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see it surpass $3700 .. There seems to be a lot of demand today (vs. 2-3 years ago) .. Not just for 58's .. but for the range of grades from 50/53-63/64 with 58 almost being "the ideal" .. The 58 fits in well in high end sets not restricted to the everyman prerequisites but also fits in a BU or AU/BU set ... there is room for 58's in a set comprised mainly of MS62-64 coins is what I am trying to say... And for semi key coins with great eye appeal all the more so .. The 01-O is in a highly regarded class .

I missed the boat on the 99-S in 64 - SOLD!!
    imageimage
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, my old 09-O 55. Nice coin.
    Currently have a raw "48.5" that I likey a whole lot.
    Might be made someday at the House, if I can ever find some more choice pieces to finish a submission of 8.
    Do those gold membership freebees expire? Gotta check on that....
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey KAJ, I saw lots of comments on your 08-O so I went back for a better look. I can't tell for sure but it looks to have a die clash as well. Look by Liberty's lip. Could be the wing? One reverse I see some lines by the banner and the arrows too. Very interesting piece either way.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey KAJ, I saw lots of comments on your 08-O so I went back for a better look. I can't tell for sure but it looks to have a die clash as well. Look by Liberty's lip. Could be the wing? One reverse I see some lines by the banner and the arrows too. Very interesting piece either way.

Paesan >>

I noticed the same thing. I was wondering if I was seeing things made in saw dust.
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know, Mike. I think there are similar impressions on that 08-O on the reverse that could be a die clash.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Logman, I'm glad you saw it too. I'm no pro, but it looks like it to me. I have a 1900-O in an ANACS 58 die clash holder and this coin has nearly the same impressions, so I cheated a little. I think it's a special coin. Would love to own it. Very nice acquisition, KAJ.

Paesan
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Vern:

Years ago (prior to plastic) I began to put together my first complete 58 set of Barber Quarters (LOL). Of course, the 01-S never showed, and a few others! While I still own many quality 58's (I know Mike I need to image many of them), I found better value in the 64's. Now it appears that the 64's have been "discovered". Therefore, we Barber collectors (especially those of us who have limited time) have to patiently track our prey. The difficult decision in our series is true valuation. While I think I have a fair handle on value, my suggestion is to act on your valuation when the opportunity presents itself. I stop when "beyond moon money" becomes "mars money".

All new folks can learn a bunch about this series by reading the Mega Thread's 1 & 2 from beginning to end.

[
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

<< <i> You wouldn't be surprised then. It just surpassed your guestimate by $37.50 with the buyers fees. When I sold it, I lost $350.00, as the figure you gave was very close to what I paid ($3,750.) Legend for it. The hammer price was $3400. I think today, there would be a slight appreciation but not a tremendous amount. The Everyman sets have taken the AU 58 coins and made them into Demi-Gods. It's amazing how the price structure has been altered - but - again - it's supply and demand. There is a greater demand for 58's than for 64's. >>

You are correct Mike - In fact nothing would surprise me after seeing the 97-S AU58 half go for $14k last year.

The 01-O 58 quarter has not gone live yet (that I am aware of - it is still in preview for me). I was basing my estimate price by looking at old auction results for 63s-64s .. in conjunction with the current state of demand .. I also factored in the recent result of the 07-S which is virtually as difficult a coin in AU and actually equally difficult in PCGS-58; only 4 coins in 58 grade for both the 07-S and the 01-O. If there were 2 coins for the same price and one was a 58 and the other was a 64, I would take the 64 assuming both were site unseen .. Every once in a while that special coin will come along that garners a lot of attention. While AU58 graded coins are much sought after as the crown jewels for EM Reg Sets, they also fit into generic (no registry) sets .. People who collect "high grade" sets of mostly mint state coins, will often add high end AU coins to their collections or fill the tougher "holes" with high end sliders until a choice MS coin becomes available. And, for those who are "hoarding" or "investing", the high end sliders as well as the choice MS pieces become highly desirable to sock away for a rainy day... Thus the AU58 coins cover a lot of niches within the collector base.

There can only be 1 winner. There will be another 15-20 pretenders and 3-5 serious contenders .. The 3rd and 4th under bidder will get the coin to the $2500 range and then it comes down to who wants it the most and is not shy about paying "whatever it takes".
    imageimage
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Kevin - can you enlighten us ? >>

I don't have the coin yet. It's in the mail.
    It is a PCGS MS63. These are TT pictures.

<< <i> I can't tell for sure but it looks to have a die clash as well. Look by Liberty's lip. Could be the wing? One reverse I see some lines by the banner and the arrows too. Very interesting piece either way. >>

I have to get the coin in hand to see if it's a clash, but it kind of looks like it to me.
    On the reverse, there are markings under both sides of the banner, near the tops of the arrows, and at the bottom of the olive branch.
    I've always liked the 1896-O Barber Quarter. From the beginning, I sought after it and tracked them and have acquired several, but I am going to go out on a limb now, and I think I'll be the first to add the 1896-O to my over-rated list. Desirable, but over-rated. Let the debate begin.

Mike, I'm a terrible coin photographer and the clashed die won't be seen with my pix.

You'll see the coin in April 20. It's in the stash.

Paesan
    [
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Hi. I'm Lenny, and I'm addicted to Barbers.

There, I'm out of the closet.

Permission to post my 09-O, Mike! And who is Walt?

Paesan
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Nnniiiccceee!!! image

[
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi. I'm Lenny, and I'm addicted to Barbers.

There, I'm out of the closet.

Permission to post my 09-O, Mike! And who is Walt?

Paesan >>

Now, what a coincidence. There was another Lenny who bought my icon image coin- my ex-01-O half in PC45, back in '08!
    And he liked Barbers too!
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
    Not 100% sure but I think I know that guy and I think that coin now resides in 'The Stash'
    Is he a Paesan from New England?
    I'll check my coin to see for sure. That would be amazing.

Paesan
    Mike: A really nice AU53 11-D dime. When do we get to see the new images?

Lenny: I can't remember if I pulled this out of my old images but here it is again if I did (or did not!):

imageimage

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Thanks Mike and Craig for the history on the 09-O. It's certainly a special coin that has had a storybook journey, but now it's home alongside his big brother. Locksmith, feel free to post pix if you'd like. image
    I consider myself quite fortunate in the 09-O department.

Paesan
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike - Nice additions to the dime collection(s). Really like that 11-D.

Paesan - Here are my pics of your AU-55 09-O. Note that the mark on the portrait is not so much on the coin, as in my lack of ability to get the lighting right. If you'd like someday I'll post pics of your MS example.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
    Sure Vern, go for it!
    Well -- the photo link was sent to me from Todd from BluCC and I can't tell you how AMAZING his photo quality is ... Here is a sneak peek at a few of them .. I had him do a full box of 20 and after seeing these results, I will be sending him all coins I consider to be long term core holdings. Todd is very talented and in my opinion, the photos are all representative of the actual look of the coins without making them look "juiced" or better than they are. He manages to capture the luster and true color of the coins as if holding them in hand and rotating at a random angle.

Thanks Todd! You da' man

imageimage
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    Love that 15-S !
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Thanks for the offer Mike .. I'd rather just buy the images from Todd rather than borrow them .. Appreciate the offer though .. Short money IMO and to have the permanent images is worth it to me .. I think they pay for themselves should I ever decide to sell any of them. I am planning on having him image the remaining core coins .. It was very hard to pick 20 to have him do as a trial run ..

The 1905-P is an amazing coin ... Steve "Patches" sold me that coin several months ago .. It has a lot of color, reds/greens and violets when tilted. I am not sure if I consider that coin crusty.. It is beautifully album toned and has original surfaces. I find crusty to be an over used term. My opinion of crust is an aged coating over the original metal that obscures much or all of the luster. I posted my 1896-P many pages back that I believe to be the best example of crust in my collection . On that coin, the luster is extremely vibrant in a deep gold under and beneath cracks in the patina - I am not sure my wording is what I am trying to express... My brain is mushy this morning plus I am trying to work (sort of).

The 98-O quarter was a "freshly made" coin about 6 months ago - I believe I am the first to own the coin aside from the dealer that made it from a raw coin .. the 92-S Quarter was a Teletrade buy a year or so ago. That 92-S has a crusty coating over the luster in my opinionimage

Kevin - I know you like the 15-S Quarter so I posted it just for you image

PS If I ever decide to sell it, I will contact you first image
    imageimage
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Scott,

Those are some very nice AU's. Eye candy for any Barberrite! image
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
    Beautiful coins, SAM. My faves are 94-O half and 15-S quarter going strictly by look.
    Agree "crusty" is a term everyone gets but doesn't excite me when someone says that a coin is crusty. Makes me think of a condition that requires medication. :-)

Todd, Great pix! You have a gift.

Paesan
    Scott - Those are some wonderful coins, with great pics. That 15-S quarter is awesome.

Here is the MS example of the 09-O, from paesan's stash.

And a newp for me, first barber quarter in a while.
    Vern
    l
    Vern, Terrific 03-O! Definitely belongs with the Barber Keys.
    Thanks for posting 09-O. I'm looking for a matching 05-O!
    Paesan
    That is a wonderful 03-O Quarter Vern -- the surfaces are pristine and totally original judging by the image ... Great pickup - I should have bid on that seller's 06 .. If it looks anything like that 03-O, whoever won it is surely very happy

That 09-O from "the stash" is mesmerizing - What a coin Paesano
    imageimage

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I love the 1903-O and 1909-O!
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fabulous coins (and photograpy) guys!

Now back to reality - for me at least image

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    Walkerguy,

You're 14-S is nothing to sneeze at. It's quite nice. I agree that Vern (and Mike Hayes too) bring fantastic images to the threat and it doesn't hurt that the coins represented are top notch.

Walkerguy, just a perfect 14-s. Love the look.

Mike, Fair warning. Any offers must be approved by previous owner. I am merely the Guardian of the Stash.
    Thems is the rules. :-)

Paesan.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Mike, I love that 1912 half!

Doug

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Yes it is very nice Mike and I concur with your assessment.
    Many Heritage coins went 2x or 3x expected prices .. The 1900-P Quarter in 55 went for almost $400 .. last night a 98-O Half in 53 went for $2300 (I just bought a very similar looking half in 50 from Vic Bozarth directly for $1050).

Who is bidding these coins up? I have no problem paying premium prices, whatever they are for premium coins - Many of these were dogs though and almost all sold to the moon
    imageimage
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Scott,

Exactly my thoughts, who is bidding these coins up? I put in a max bid of $250 for the 1900 quarter, and thought that would be more than enough!

Doug
    Guys, I agree that some crazy money is getting tossed around. I agree 250 was a healthy bid for the 1900 quarter. I watched a few of the half dollars (14-s and 15-s) sail way past my max bids. I saw very few go reasonably. I guess it's a high demand, low supply series, but the prices are rocketing. It's not a healthy and steady growth. Personally, I'm more than happy to avoid the AUs and pick up 63s and 64s right now. Almost the same price!

Mike, great dimes, especially the 1910 for my taste. Nice crust in that half dollar too! image

Scott pointed out an 1895-o ICG 60 to me tonight. Thanks, Buddy. Not sure if it is original but it had a nice clash. Is it cool to put an eBay item number up here? I don't have pix.

Paesan
    Go for it Len - no bi-laws against eBay item numbers

A few more of Todd's pix:

imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Walkerguy - Nice circ 14-S, very tough to find in that grade range.

Mike - More nice dimes, and that 1912 half has the perfect look for a 55.

Scott - More nice coins and pics, my fav is the 1913 (notice how I always pic quarters).

Pic for tonight - A very under-rated date from the Iowa collection.

Vern
    l
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL! I am the fool that bought that 1900 quarter! I fired up my computer and there it was on the block....dang...I thought it was the 00 1/2! Wasn't until I hit the bid button that I realized it was the quarter. Those internet only auctions go so fast....live and learn. If someone wants it for what I paid they are welcome to it...otherwise I think I will keep it to look at as a suttle reminder!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file