Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    Those are some nice coins Scott.
    Very nice 99-S.
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott - Very nice additions to your quarter collection, my favorite is the 14-D.

Savoy - Neat engraved quarter. Happen to have any barber quarter love tokens?

Mike - Lucky for me my V nickel collection is a few short of complete, so I won't feel compelled to bid on the '13.

My 93-S half is in NGC-62, and the scuff in front of the neck is there, but not so pronounced as my pic shows. Paesan, that's probably what rules out a 63. Perhaps I'll try to cross it at Central States, later this month. And I agree with Walkerguy, I'd rather it make 62 than 58.

Here's my most recent V nickel acquisition, which was a tad cheaper than the upcoming one will be.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
    newp, just in today, from a trade out of the stash in South Florida. Thanks, Lenny.

Vern
    l
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Another killer quarter. I think there has been some great quality of coins posted recently.

Anybody have a stash of VF halves? image
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern, Glad you're happy with the 06-o.

Justin, I'm looking for VFs now, I'm sure you have the best stash but maybe soon I'll have some trade bait.

All, any guesses what that overrated 99-s quarter in 58 will go for on feeBay? I'll say 800, and I don't think it's that nice.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
    Mike - You're right. I did have a chance at a bunch, but you were going through them faster than I could get money to buy them. image I did get some though. I know of at least three I picked up on your recent adventure with halves.

Paesan - I can only afford one of each and in some cases not even that. image So I normally have nothing in trade, but I will gladly buy if it fills a hole and I like the coin!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

<< <i>All, any guesses what that overrated 99-s quarter in 58 will go for on feeBay? I'll say 800, and I don't think it's that nice. >>

The 55 from DK was offered at $425 if I remember correctly - was just a shade over $400

the coin on eBay will pron break a grand IMO

All I know is I have seen 15-20 99-S AU coins since I started collecting them ... I have yet to see an 02-S or an 03-S in AU (or many other dates). I was fortunate to buy my current 03-S 53 privately. I know the jusy is still out, but when a coin is available 15 times in a grade range in <2 years, I think it can't be that elusive. 2,3 or 4 times could be a fluke .. 15 times I disagree .. and of the 15 or so AUs .. only 2 or 3 of them have been in the newer holder at the time of the sale
    imageimage
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Scott:

These are crummy images but this 03-S is original and CAC'd. ...Someday on all the images, someday!!

• robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well... Here it is.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike, The Stash is alive and kicking. In fact the coins may be breeding. I keep finding stuff that I don't recall acquiring. That 99-s that you sold is much nicer than the one up there now.

Justin, I hope I can help. I'm going to check the Florida shows.

Scott, Just messing with the 99-S's. it's great that we all have different opinions to toss around. Should I lock up my 02-S's and 03-S's before Mike sees them?

Aside... I'm adding Bruce Springsteen to most overrated Rock and Roller and I'll drop U2 into the two slot.

Paesan

• robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what I was thinking...
    Thanks Mike !!! image

<< <i>That's what I was thinking...
    Thanks Mike !!! image >>

I'm surprised by the pics that it's only a 61. I would like to rotate that thing around to see all angles. Looks like a great coin.
    Yes, that 11 Quarter does look nicer; but I am not surprised as a lot of the lower MS Barbers I have seen have looked nicer. Love that coin Rob. image

Craig - really nice looking 03-S - Booming luster - even through those images, the quality is obvious

Vern - that is a mouth watering coin. Maybe my favorite date (I have exactly zero 06-O quarters). I passed on a very ugly 53 offered on TT a month or so ago. In hindsight, I should have bought it just for the elusiveness of the date. That was the date I told Gail to send me site unseen (XF40) when she emailed back to say, "ooops .. It's gone already". I was told this email offering was pre-listing ? Maybe others got the same email image

Mike - The 99-S I got recently from Dave in 55 (was $425) is admittedly the steal du jour .. I love the 99-S you posted. The one on eBay is going 4 figures in my estimate. Time will tell. Strangely, the recfently sold 11-S in 58 sold for half that. I would take 10% of an 11-S over 100% of a 99-S (if that makes any sense. It would be a 2 1/2 cent piece) image

The 04-P quarter in MS60 I had recently on approval had the luster and strike of a 63/64 but had a small water spot in the obv. field and another smaller carbon spot. After a long inspection, they were the only things I could find that would indicate a reason for the 60 grade.

From what I have seen, many coins in the 60/61/62 grade range have all the eye appeal and more, than many of the coveted 58s; I am starting to find the lower MS grades to be more desirable (at times; every coin requires it's own analysis) as very little separates them from full fledged 63/64 in some cases (if you select the right coin).
    imageimage
    The 99-S already broke the $900 mark without the 5 second fury. Which one of you guys is running up the bids?! image
    That wouldn't be me. My guess of 800 got blown away, but I don't like that coin for half that much. Pix look blotchy or something. It has the magic number 58, so that alone makes it desirable, even if it was covered in boogers.

Paesan
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

<< <i> All, any guesses what that overrated 99-s quarter in 58 will go for on feeBay? >>

No it's not me! I don't want to bash it , I don't like it. BUT,
    I like that date, The 99-S! common as it may be. I just sold my 45 and ... I... made money.
    Mike, that was one sweet coin . I can't even fathom yours and the Ebay coin are the same grade.
    Scott, truth be told, if I saw that, 99-S, I would have bought it! lol Nice pick up.
    It has a great look, and you got it for a very fair price.

Vern, Sweet 06-O. Great eye candy.
    I agree Kevin - all things considered, I think I ripped it for 425 .. And I think it looks a heck of a lot nicer than the thousand dollar coin with a grade 3 points higher. No doubt, that date is on everybody's highly desired list. I saw your auction net in the high 300s for the XF45 .. I was able to sell my ugly, dark 40 for two and half after paying half that only a few months earlier.

For the record, I never claimed the 99-S was common .. just over rated IMO. What I am trying to convey is ... If I had to pick only one coin, no other outside factors considered and assuming all other things are equal, I can think of several other dates I take in front of the 99-S

imageimage
  • Yacorie1Yacorie1 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    Ok - so i've been lurking for a while now but figured I may as well post. The two most recent coins that I recieved last week. Thanks to Logpotato for giving me the opportunity at the 02-S. You folks have some great coins and I've really enjoyed reading the previous mega thread and this one.

I'm still working on how best to take photos with the point and shoot camera I've been using.

1902-S

Hope I didn't offend current or future owner of the 99-S AU-58. I try to be honest and humorous simultaneously. I'm a bad comedian. My booger comment was to illustrate that the 58 trumps the coin in the eye of many registry folks. It's up to 917$ now, so at least two people disagree with me (which is good) and I think I know a sniper honing in on it.

That said, I've had my coins bashed here too. In fact, I'm thankful in retrospect. One coin that I now own was dubbed, "dipped to death." I bought it cheap, like it, crossed it, and have you guys to thank. Grazie.

When I hear my coins being criticized, it helps me learn. I actually invite it. I don't know much compared to you guys. You point out things that I don't see. I guess we could all just say, "Nice coin. Nice coin." With each and every post. That would be good decorum. (Would bore me to death and I'll go away.) Uh-oh. :-)

Scott, the 99-s in 40, dark and ugly, is a coin that I'll probably own soon. I like it. I'm looking for a good trade coin. Plus, its a 99-S!

Paesan
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Nice pictures Yacorie 1. Nice looking coins.
    A newp

Welcome Yacorie. Nice to see you finally make an entrance. Nice pics.

Mike I sold neither to him. I gave him a heads up on the 02-s when I saw it listed. I thought it looked really nice and since I already had one, I figured he would enjoy it.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lots of nice coins being posted! Eye candy!

LOL,Mike! I hope my hair doesn't decline like the number of Barber Halves I have. Seems the only way I am going to continue having a good inventory is to raise the bar again. OUCH!
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Justin. Happy to hear Easter was special! Young ones make holidays very special.

Enjoying the photos everyone.

Yacorie 1 welcome and nice photos with the point and shoot. Those are lovely mid VF examples.

Mike your 99-S is a great coin and one I always enjoyed the 2-3 times I viewed it in person. To Mike and Paeesan, that being said the one on eBay that recently sold is the total contrast between a "white coin" and one with originality. The eBay coin I don't feel benefits from a very good photo either and I suspect is a lot nicer in hand then the contrast in those poor photos. A great example of personal preference between two coins of the same date/grade. I know of collectors who couldn't stand neither in their sets.

Nice 06-O Vern.

Rob the 1911 quarter it would appear has exceptional surfaces for the 61 grade, however it has been dipped and the rinse job was poorly done, which is what your seeing with the splotchy light areas of toning. Probably the reason its in an ANACS holder. Still the surfaces are very nice and I think you did well. I like your 1900-S!

Arnie I feel you brother. So hard to find any!

Here's a nice proof nickel that was absolutely hideous when I bought it. The toning was so dark and ugly, and it was in a holder! I rarely have anything conserved but this one needed it desperately.

So close to cameo as the devices/field contrast is very nice.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
    I agree with Glenn on the recently sold for $1250 99-S 58 quarter in that it probably looks much nicer in hand, and defines originality. Even with those poor pix, it is a coin I would very much be attracted to (I just happen to feel it sold about $500 too high; but that's another story.). The look is the type I cherish the most (assuming it looks as I envision through those pix).

Darrell - as Led Zep sang Tea for One, that's all it would take

Paesan - couldn't agree more. If turn it off if no one spoke their mind or didn't hand something of substance or concrete to offer. I hope people aren't that thin skinned .. Sheesh

Everyone strap on your bidding shoes .. The central states auctions are under way
    imageimage
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Heck on the music side:

YES
    Pink Floyd
    Jethro Tull
    Emerson Lake and Palmer
    Asia
    Bruce Springsteen
    Beattles
    Don Ellis (Jazz)
    U2
    UK
    Queen
    Procol Harum
    Alan Parsons
    Kansas
    Spock's Beard
    Glass Hammer
    Porcupine Tree
    Simon and Garfunkel
    Led Zepplin
    Jackie Green
    Rick Wakeman
    Jon Anderson
    Peter, Paul and Mary
    Chicago

and many others that don't pop in my head plus lots of classical music sprinkled with a bit of Jazz.

I love lots of music. image
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
    I played the drums with Illinois Jacquet and his band back in the early 80s .. 2 songs on set in NY
    My father was a drummer in the 50s and 60s - jazz was all I knew for many years. I also like many genres and styles of music. Blues: folk, bluegrass, fusion.. Indie and alternative rock, rockabilly

Always open minded to anything of substance and thick sounds
    imageimage
    image ! My 1st real instrument I learned to play was the violin!
    Y-1, Welcome and very nice halves. I like the look of the 05.

Labelman, I think that 03-S in 58 is a coin that everyone would like to own. My preference is a bit of color, but I'm sure its a beauty in hand and a keeper if it's in your collection.

Kevin, I like the 00-S and I think they are really tough to find in 58. Glad you like the 07-D.

Glenn, That's a good looking nickel. I know nothing about Liberty Nickels, especially proofs. I'd love to see the 'before' pix. I also think you are correct about the pix on that recently sold 99-S. What amazes me is that 58s are going for 1200-1500, you can buy a 55 for under 500, and you might get a 63 or a 64 for less than a 58.

On that note, Vern, I think it's time for me to run that article. Glad everyone likes your 06-O. Makes me proud of myself!

Glenn, Thanks for the music list. A few bands there that I don't know, but I'll download a few songs and check them out. Music is great. I just finshed listening to one of my favorite CDs, Steely Dan's 'Aja.' There isn't a bad track on that CD. Talk about underrated, I never hear any of those songs on the radio.

Tom Petty hasn't been mentioned and is one of my favorites. 'Breakdown' is my favorite song to see performed live, but he has never done my favorite song of his which is 'A Woman in Love' and I've seen him 3 or 4 times. He is one ugly dude, though.

Now how do I post pix. I don't want to open a photobucket account. I have a MAC photo album. There's got to be an easy way to drag pix here. I need a dummies guide for stubborn Guineas.

Paesan

• Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    OK Lenny, Here's a bit of color: 1908-O PCGS58

Welcome to the nuthouse Y-1

Darrell - I have a hard time picturing you drawing back the bow of a violin, though I must admit, I'd pay to see it

Can't help you with the Mac there Rocky, sorry... You know to turn the PM function on? People probly trying to send you private messages!

Glenn - great and eclectic list there ... WGBH had a special on 2-3 years back with the surviving two members from Peter, Paul and Mary (Mary Travers passed in 09 I think)

I have to say, it's a strange phenomenon how certain issues seem to always come nice, others lousy
    Most every 1905-P half I've seen Vf-MS has had really nice eye appeal.. Conversely Ive found only 1 nice 08-S half; my old 40 which I sold in favor of an "upgrade" to AU.. I sold the AU and replaced it with another 40 and I bought a 63 from a heritage auction several months ago; truthfully I don't like any of them. 06-S half is another lousy looker
    imageimage
    Craig, That is a thing of beauty. Is that a die chip? Thanks for sharing, and please put my name on that one if it's not already spoken for.
    Paesan
    Jaw dropper 08-O! Gorgeous.

Glenn - Seeing some of the halves you used to have, I know you like original and thick skinned coins. That Lib must have been pretty bad for you to conserve, and it looks like it was well worth it.

And I love all the shout out to the bands. A lot of those bands remind me of the 80's.....When I was born...... imageimageimage

Happy Sunday Y'all. Life is awesome.
    That's all I got today.
    Paesan
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the wonderful 1908-o. Wow! I wish all my quarters looked just like that.

So original. Nice Sunday morning eye candy.

Mike, retirement sounds good to me. Im slowly getting there, then it will six months in Seattle, six months in Phoenix, with annual trips to Las Vegas, and the FUN. Sound plan?

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
    That 13-S quarter in the Heritage auction just appeared at the last second. Will be glad to see it in hand (it can't look as bad as the pics, can it?).

The PCGS-58, 99-S quarter on ebay brought a lot, but I'll wager the pics didn't do it justice. Mike's 58 was the best one I've yet to see. I quit bidding on it at $1000. (Mike's, not the one on ebay).

Yacorie1 - Beautiful halves, welcome to the forum.

Glenn - NCS did a nice job on your V Nickel.

Paesan - Definitely time to run your article. What's that AU58 1901-O up to now? MS-64 money.

Craig - Like the color on your 08-O, but that 03-S is a real rarity.

Added a nice quarter to my raw set, in a trade with Doug this past Sunday. Will get pics up later tonight (I hope).

Vern
    l
    I hope you get them posted, Vern, would love to see your new piece.

Here's a new one for me.

Love the 04-O Half LP - really sweet looker

Vern - I thought that 13-S looked lousy myself for that grade .. thought I was on an island

Newp - Didn't want to completely abandon the half dollars so picked this little sweety up .. the seller's images were worse than mine .. See if you can GTG from my amateur photos :

1895-P (older holder with the series/coin number listed - white balance is way off but use your imagination image
    imageimage

Another relative newp (about 3-4 weeks ago) .. rare in AU from what I have seen - (seller's photo - makes it look like altered surfaces but looks far better in hand):

imageimage

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Thank you for the kind words as always Mike - I will reveal the answer tomorrow night .. curious to see the Georgian's opinion of the grade .. Always hard to say from a photo; more so from bad pix .. Added the 98-O after as an edit **

I love the color on Craig's 08-O Quarter. Curiously the 08-O 25c AU58 at HA this month looks strikingly similar. I agree, not many have that much color - some do though .. I have a 93-O that reminds me of autumn in New England and the 98-O I posted a couple weeks ago looks like a root bear hard candy image

Kevin - was that the 00-S Dave had on his site? I almost bought it .. pointed it out to a couple people then she was gone .. poof..vanished in seconds.

Anyone ever see the show Destroyed in Seconds?
    imageimage

<< <i>Kevin - was that the 00-S Dave had on his site? >>

Yes.

<< <i> Fantastic 00-S... AU 58 ? >>

Justin - Beautiful 04-O half.

Scott - Really like the originality on the '95 half. I'll guess 58. Don't care for the pic of your 98-O, please post new ones.

KAJ - Nice lustrous 00-S. Congrats.

Pics of my acquisition from Doug, Sunday.
    Vern
    l
    And a little barber quarter exonumia.

Vern
    l
    Scott...I already know the grades of your coins! That was a rip on that 98-O....delays in communication kept it from coming to Ga!

Too many nice coins listed to address individually! I wonder if someone sifted through both the barber threads if complete sets of photos of all the Barber series could be compiled?
    Mike, I bought it already graded as a VF25. I'm like you, it looks more along the lines of a 30.

Vern, if you could find me a 99-O half that looks like that 25c, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file