Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Yacorie1Yacorie1 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    You folks sure have some nice coins. I was lazy last night and missed one I wanted to buy while I was at hockey - live and learn.

Here is one that just arrived.

• LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, Yacorie.
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Yes, that is a lovely piece Yacorie

<< <i>Scott...I already know the grades of your coins! That was a rip on that 98-O....delays in communication kept it from coming to Ga! Too many nice coins listed to address individually! >>

Darrell - you are THE MAN !!!Is there anything you don't know?

<< <i>I wonder if someone sifted through both the barber threads if complete sets of photos of all the Barber series could be compiled? >>

I would have to say absolutely, and maybe twice over

<< <i>Newp - Didn't want to completely abandon the half dollars so picked this little sweety up .. the seller's images were worse than mine .. See if you can GTG from my amateur photos : >>

Hint - It is NOT a 58.

<< <i>Scott - Really like the originality on the '95 half. I'll guess 58. Don't care for the pic of your 98-O, please post new ones. >>

I agree Vern - those are Vic Bozarth's pictures .. I haven't tried to image the coin and my photos do not usually come out very good as everyone already knows
    imageimage
    Scott, I'll take a wild guess that it's a 62.

Speaking of GTG...how about a WIG? (Will It Grade)

Justin - I love the 05-O !! I call that's a solid 25 as long as those aren't rim bruises at 6:00 reverse - hard to say - everything else looks fantastic to me!! image

And the answer is .. Conservative grading is far better than the alternative IMO. I also feel it is properly graded or could be a 55. There are a few scattered ticks and a stray hair line or two in the fields that maybe aren't so visible in the photos. The luster is bold and the details and strike are awesome. the color is natural, although I think it was probably lightly dipped at one time long ago:

imageimage
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
    disregard!
    imageimage
    Scott, they are not rim bumps on the reverse. The dansco was playing shadow games.

Mike, I agree to what you see, and it is a toss up for me. I just wanted to hear others opinions whether or not it was an absolute no. I have very little money in the coin, so it might be worth the gamble.
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Justin - If I come up with a 99-O half like that, I'll let you know. And my opinion is your 05-O won't grade. Obv looks cleaned. But I've seen worse in holders.

Yacorie - Another beautiful looking half.

Scott - I wish all 53's looked like your 1895. Great looking coin.

Here's another coin graded 53 that (IMO) is undergraded. Such a tough date, from the Iowa collection.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • JMWJMW Posts: 497
    I just found this, PCGS VF 35 and not nearly as nice as the 1913-S in VF 35 formerly owned by Vern, but still pretty nice.
    Better images will be coming soon.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Vern - As always, a gorgeous quarter. I wouldn't expect anything less from The Iowa Collection.

JMW - I sure as heck wouldn't kick that 13-S out of bed for eating crackers. I'd put it in my collection any day.

Mike - That is a very sweet 92-S. One of my favorites. And as for the 05-S, it only takes two. But I refer back to what Scott was talking about many posts ago. How long can the 58 prices sustain?
    Yes the 1905-S half closed about where I told the Paesan man it would -- I recognize many of the bidders including the under bidder image .. I was 3rd under at $1126 .. I knew it was going nowhere fast but with 60 sec left I tossed in a manual bid for the heck of it .. I like my AU50 anyway image

I had to settle for the 1894 AU55 Half and the 11-D 58 half on TT .. Brian Greer also had a nice 1896-P AU50 that was virtually gifted to me

It seems to me that Chris can't be making a lot of money selling coins on eBay... Most of the coins I've seen (Barbers anyway) sell at auction seem to sell under his purchase price .. the 02-S in VF25 he sold absolutely closed less than what he bought it for and I have seen that quite a few times .. Oh well, none of my business anyway... But seems he is taking business lessons from yours truly image
    imageimage
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Guys, I've been quiet this week but still paying attention. Congrats on all your pick-ups. Don't think I saw anything posted that I wouldn't mind owning. I won't be in the mix on the upcoming Heritage auction. Just grabbed a very nice 62-S quarter, and now I have to write Uncle Sam a big check. Heck, sometimes it real fun to sit on the sidelines and watch the feeding frenzy! Hope you all get what you want cheap!

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
    Joe - Great addition of a very tough coin. PM sent.

Mike - Saw the 05-S in 58. Wasn't enamored with it. Brought a big buck.

Scott - Congrats on the 3 additions (and letting the over-priced 05-S pass). For big bucks I'd want a special coin. And here's hoping a few of the quarters in the upcoming Heritage auction are special enough to warrant the big bucks. I see the 01-O is up to $2800 plus the juice. WOW!!!!!

Paesan - Congrats on the seated addition. Great looking coin, I look forward to seeing it in hand someday.

For tonight, another selection from the Iowa collection (which do not belong to me, I only take the pics). But I do dream about owning some of them someday.

Vern
    l
    Joe - great score on that quarter - This was supposed to be on my previous post - When I edited it, I accidentally deleted that comment .. Anyway, nice looking coin.

Vern - your picture taking skills are fantastic .. You should go into business - I think you would procure a lot of business .. I'd be your first client!

The Iowa Collection should be the images used in defining what a given coin should look like for the grade .. If there were a coin encyclopedia, they would all be exemplary
    imageimage
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL! There were definately some Barber 1/2 buyers last night!

I got some goodies in the mail today. If Justin has time...here's another guess the grade! Some I finally got back from PCGS and a couple I bought. All but 1 is not forsale! image

My guesses

Scott - Hope you were no where near the finish line of the Marathon. Craziness continues in this world.
    Vern
    l

<< <i>Scott - Hope you were no where near the finish line of the Marathon. Craziness continues in this world. >>

Vern???? What is crazy. If less than 5% of the lincoln cent or morgan dollar collectors catch a fancy to barber halves...look out!

Or your precious quarters! image

<< <i>

<< <i>Scott - Hope you were no where near the finish line of the Marathon. Craziness continues in this world. >>

Vern???? What is crazy. If less than 5% of the lincoln cent or morgan dollar collectors catch a fancy to barber halves...look out!

Or your precious quarters! image >>

I think he was referring to the Boston Marathon where explosions have injured many and worse. Hope you are OK Scott, and anyone else that may be in that area. Tragic. image

<< <i>

<< <i>

Or your precious quarters! image >>

I think he was referring to the Boston Marathon where explosions have injured many and worse. Hope you are OK Scott, and anyone else that may be in that area. Tragic. image >>

Dang...just caught the news. image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Which is the one for sale?
    Thanks folks for all your support and heart felt comments - the world is becoming a really crazy place. Fortunately my family, friends and coworkers are all not directly in or near ground zero

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those who were not so fortunate

PS Darrell - really nice coins - love the 09-0 and 93-S especially but they're all really nice

I know where many of those beautiful coins came from so I will not GTG
    The only one I'm not familiar with is the 04-S. Great look - going strictly by detail, looks like a 35 to me. Not quite enough detail for XF IMO, but I hate trying to gtg from images anyway - results of these are usually in a decent sized range.

The 05-0 is also unknown to me; ill guess 25

Everyone say a prayer for those stricken by this tragedy. May those responsible face justice quickly. May these needless acts of terrorism be snuffed out and affirmative and forceful action be taken as the citizens of our country join forces with the world to help conquer a common and deadly foe. I salute the people of the armed forces who defend us all without regard for their own safety. Their courage and bravery can not be under stated. May The Grace of God and His Goodwill deliver us from evil.
    imageimage
    A post on the main forum sums up the scene in Boston very well .. The user goes by Not Sure .. His words hit home and if you are reading this, I am so sorry for what you have endured but am grateful you were not in the line of fire. Here is the link to the thread: US Forum Thread for Marthon Monday in Boston
    Here is the quote:

<< <i> I was in a bar near the finish line with a few buddies (when you go to the Marathon, you always go to the finish line, you don't go to Hopkinton to the start line). We were going to leave the bar at 2pm, after having seen the competitive runners finish, and after two 'just one more's', left at 2:40pm (they say the first one went off at about 2:50pm). We are half a block behind Boylston St., first one goes off, feel the ground shake, not a HUGE explosion (like thunder when it's REALLY close), but enough to get your attention right quick. Seemingly seconds later, another, a bit smaller one, went off....we bolted back, as we were just around the corner from the second one (literally less than 3 minutes prior, we walked past that 2nd blast point), to see if there was help needed, how bad things were, and to find out WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED. It was like a freakin' war zone just seconds later.....blood, body parts (literally...blood and body parts were all over).... ball bearings were everywhere (one cop suggested to me that IED's usually have these to cause as much damage as possible, those were/are everywhere, and if you were seen picking one up, you were told to put it down, active crime scene. A couple hours ago, it was revealed there was no C-4 or any type of plastic explosive. It was just an honest to God nightmare everywhere. I saw a man actually pick up a severed leg, sooooo much like the beginning of Saving Private Ryan where the soldier picks up his severed arm. So many good people willing to help, not knowing if another one would go off (turns out, one was under the bleachers, ironically, with residents of Newtown, CT, but it did not go off). People with blood all over themselves, running, brushing against people (yes, I did get some blood on my pants). Everyone was being ushered away by the police, and after helping carry one man to the runner's tent, we were too...there were many, many injured there. One man I saw, a spectator, blood all over his hands/arms, was caring for a person with both legs blown off (I'm assuming the severed leg I saw being carried was one of this poor person's legs). There was so much blood, I couldn't make out if male or female, but a number of spectators literally had a limb or limbs blown clean off...I am almost 100% certain this person will not make it, as I heard the words 'femoral artery'...Googled it when I got home, and immediately wondered if that person was still alive. People were injured being blown into buildings, piled up like rag dolls, they had been in such a strong impact with the buildings, which just crushed bones, all the screaming.....I can still hear/see/FEEL the horror. It was just awful. I've seen auto accidents with injuries and blood, but this was just off-the-charts surreal. I thought it was a dream, an awful, bloody, filled with blood-curdling screams dream (well, nightmare). I just wish there was more that I could have done, besides help that one man, but on the other hand, the carnage (this incident totally defines the word carnage) was so awful, I really wish I wasn't there. To make things more confusing, cell phone service was discontinued in that part of the city, for fear of detonating another, hidden, bomb, and we couldn't even get a call out to a cab once we got clear of the immediate area, though a huge area of Boston is just shut down. No subway service (shut down), no cab, no way out but to hoof it. Walked 2 miles to Cambridge before we could arrange to get home. This is an horrific event that just changed my life forever, and I'll never forget the horror of what I saw a short while ago, never. I thought 9/11 made an impact on me (I was just a kid then), but I guess when you are RIGHT THERE, in the 'thick' of it, you really see it from a different, sickeningly true perspective, as opposed to just seeing it on TV. This is something that has made me really look at life, in general, in a whole new light. This is for MrHalfDime....I am SO glad/happy for you that you found out your son did NOT run today. You have no idea how fortunate you are that you didn't have to wonder/worry about whether or not your son was there, or if he was OK/injured, etc, because I'm finding what was/is being presented on TV (from what I'm seeing on the news...every channel, actually), it almost made it look half as bad as it really was. Yes, you can seemingly 'imagine' this unimaginable thing, but it truly is/was 100 times worse than what they showed. TV news stations, from what I've seen since getting home, have done a good job not to show how horrible it really was. At the scene, believe me, it was literally right out of a movie....I'm literally still shaking, so, I'm going to stop now....but believe me, folks, this was just a horrible, awful, bloody, scary event that COULD have been a whole lot worse had it happened 60-90 mins earlier...it was the worst thing I think I shall ever see. ------------------------- "I never lie because I don't fear anyone or anything. You only lie when you're afraid" ......John Gotti >>

imageimage
    I aplogize for these postings. Tax season is over and I am now behind the eight ball trying to learn
    the new Photobucket codes. Third time's the charm.

imageimage
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Well! Justin was first so Justin wins! Nailed every grade! The 1893-S and 1909-O are in old green holders. I couldn't quite catch the pizazz of the obv. of the 09-O but that is as nice a 58 as I think can be found. The 93-S is a great candidate for a gold bean. I'm glad no one cracked it as it fits my set well!

I had to work a deal on that 04-S. The guy was sure it was a 40. I really wanted the coin...and I told him it should grade 35...but with the way PCGS was grading it could come back a 30 or a 40. So I gave him a healthy deposit and submitted it at Baltimore with an agreed price depending on what it graded. That was the last coin I needed to complete my VF-35 set! YAAAA!

Notehunter....well...I ended up swapping out the 05-O with 1 I have...so I guess none of them are forsale. Wish I hadn't added that comment anyway as I try to respect the rules here.

Scott! image I bet you were hot after 1 of those coins! No one had a chance as I bought them minutes after they were offered! Bought time the timing worked out for me!
    Yay! I won! I won the shunned 05-O from your collection, right? image

Edit: That 05 quarter looks stunning.
    Congrats Darrell and Justin

I actually was not in the market for them ,.. I had way too many other things on my radar including some non-Barber stuff . .. Great pickups and congrats for sure though!
    imageimage
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    The fingerprinted AU58 13-S quarter at Heritage is up to $10,000. Let's guess what the coin will go for. I'll say $13,500.

Doug
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    17k for the 58, maybe the spot won't matter to the buyer.

Anyone have any holed Barbers to show?
    Darrell - Really nice additions, my fav, even though it's the lowest graded, is the 92-S. Great job on the grades, Justin.

Joe - Three wonderful coins, the V nickel has a great strike, and must be MS, IMO.

Scott - Very glad you and your family came out unscathed. Here's hoping for swift justice.

Doug - I'll guess $16K on the 13-S, because it's the magic number. But if it happens to look much, much better in hand than in the pics, look out above.

Holed - Sorry, all mine are w/o holes.

Pic for tonight, my current best 01-O.

Vern
    l
    Newp, just rec'd today, thanks Jim.

Vern
    l
    Sorry, H&C, no holed Barbers for me.

Vern, that 15P looks like it would be absolutely stunning in hand. It looks like it has tons of luster.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that 15P quarter for sure, but I'm really impressed with that 01O quarter.
    My example is a VF that suffered an old light cleaning, but I still feel lucky to have found that.
    That date seems to be right up there with the 97S and 09O, at least in the upper circ grades.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    Justin and Mike - Thanks for the compliments on the 1915. And my pics don't do it justice. It has tons of luster for a 63.

Walkerguy - I agree with you on the dates. Throw the 14-S in there as well, and you have the second tier of key date quarters that agrees with what Doug listed a while back.

For tonight, a coin that is being replaced in my raw set.

I like this one a little more.

Vern
    l
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    Nice upgrade Vern!

<< <i>Nice upgrade Vern! >>

Looks like the new one is (or was) in the slab. I am curious of the grade if you don't mind sharing.
    Couple of new purchases ... The 1894-P is one of the more under rated and difficult P date coins in the series as most of us know .. Certainly the more difficult of the 3 1894 coins (P,O and S) ...Also, the coin with the 55 grade is much nicer than the coin graded 58 IMO. The 1894 is a superb original while the 11-D ... Nice... but not so much.

1894 50c PCGS AU55
    imageimage

1911 D 50c PCGS AU58
    imageimage

imageimage
    Scott! You photography skills are improving! Nice pictures. Thumbs up on the 94 and a hard thumbs down on the 11-D! image

I picked up an upgrade at the GNA show for my set! A 1903-O in 58!
    I concur with your appraisal Darrell .. Although the 11-D is not as "sheeny" as the images make it seem - not a photogenic coin ... the 94 is a sweetie though -

Excellent pickup on that 03-O ... Very happy for you sir image

Doug - My guess on the 13-S is $18000

Here is my best reproduction of the 98-O 50; previous images were heinous. These are just bad ... Then again, some coins are just not photogenic .. TOUGH Coin though image

1898-O 50c PCGS AU50
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Hmmmm,Scott those pictures of the 98-O look like a 45...nice coin!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file