Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Was at the Central States show in Schaumburg for Wed, Thurs and Fri am. Didn't see all that many barber coins on offer of note. Got to meet Vern in person, and we had a nice chat. Looked at the 1904-S half in PCGS MS 65 at US coins. I have seen that one before. I was told another example was also in the room, but I did not find it in my brief looking around the show.

Looked at several auction lots of high-end barber halves. The 00-O in PCGS 65 was lustrous, but had an indentation of the cheek that appears to be a planchet defect. The strike was reasonable for this date, considering that many 00-O's have very weak strikes. The 02-S in PCGS 67 ex Friend/Pryor is a decent coin, and the 1907-D in PCGS 67 was very nice. Prices realized confirm my read on the 07-D, but I did not bid on it. My MS 66 example is nice and though the MS 67 would improve my set, buying it now was not in the cards for me.

Had fun working at Harry Laibstain's table. The show was not as well attended as I would have hoped, and the fire alarm going off on Thursday, really had a negative impact on the attendance, perhaps half the attendees left and did not return.
    Dr. Pete
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My first auction win ever on Heritage! I am super excited about this one!

I'm a fan. That thing is cool. Congrats. You should get a green bean on that thing for sure! >>

Thx! I was thinking that too. Initially, I thought the beans were silly ...until I owned a few. That pretty shiny sticker just puts that extra big glob of icing on the cake!
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    My view is that the same laws that apply to any investment or collectible asset apply to this and all markets. Long term trends offer the best projection/forecast. There are always highs, lows, periods of growth, periods of recession. History shows any asset that increases or decreases too rapidly is unstable (this is why people make millions shorting assets the masses jump into too late). Look at the recent metals or real estate market bubbles for recent historical data

The difference /wild card here is each coin stands on its own merits. Not all MS63 Barber halves are the same whereas an oz of gold is an oz of gold. A share of Apple stock is a share. Thus there will be a range. We will see coins sell way under "sheet" and way over "sheet". All we can do is use avg prices based on a coin of decent quality to speculate what another might sell for. Even then the variables are endless. The timing of an auction will produce wild swings. I believe the fact three of the same graded coin in a short period undoubtedly hurt the results. About 6-7 months ago, there were 5 or 6 1895-O halves in AU grades auctioned and the demand/prices softened progressively.

It works the other way too. Coins that haven't been sold recently should always result in stronger results. A 1910-D quarter AU58 was put on eBay a few days ago- it was at $650 yesterday. I believe that is very strong for that coin; and will likely finish much higher being 5 days till auction close. I have not seen this coin auctioned in this grade in quite some time. There are only so many people looking for these coins, and often they are the same coins missing that will plug a collectors "holes" .. These better and semi-key date coins will always fetch strong money. When you add the ingredients that the coin is extremely choice and hasn't been sold in a long time (ie. the 01-O Quarter in 58 last week), you have all the ingredients for a category 5 hurricane. If all the ingredients are there, BAM! Just my opinion .. .and we know what people say about opinions ... they are like *&^%$*!@#$ everyone has one

However in the end all coins stand on their own merit. Nice coins generally sell for more (obviously). Two houses of the same exact size, dimensions and age on the same street will sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars difference if the end house is on the water with a spectacular view.

When a particular coin sells very strongly, (ie several examples last heritage auction, or the 97-S/58 half that sold for $16k), I believe it is foolish and shallow to assume a new price has been established. Longer term trends build support. Markets with a thin layer of support tend not to hold up. And I'm not saying "this" market won't hold up. I would LOVE to see this pattern keep up .. That can/will happen as long as the supply isn't greatly increased and if collector base continues to grow.

What I am trying to say is I believe the jury is still out - more time is needed to have a better understanding of what is going on (just don't miss the boat!). Water always seeks its own level.
    imageimage
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    [.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'm a fan. That thing is cool. Congrats. You should get a green bean on that thing for sure! >>

Thx! I was thinking that too. Initially, I thought the beans were silly ...until I owned a few. That pretty shiny sticker just puts that extra big glob of icing on the cake! >>

I hate paying the extra money for the coins that have them but I like it when it is time to sell. I currently have a 1959 Proof66 Franklin in a Doily with a Gold Bean up for auction on Great Collections. Since I have a total of $40 into the coin/shipping/bean all together, I have high hopes. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoying the all the posts but I've been in a reticent mood.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Was at the Central States show in Schaumburg for Wed, Thurs and Fri am. Didn't see all that many barber coins on offer of note. Got to meet Vern in person, and we had a nice chat. Looked at the 1904-S half in PCGS MS 65 at US coins. I have seen that one before. I was told another example was also in the room, but I did not find it in my brief looking around the show.

Looked at several auction lots of high-end barber halves. The 00-O in PCGS 65 was lustrous, but had an indentation of the cheek that appears to be a planchet defect. The strike was reasonable for this date, considering that many 00-O's have very weak strikes. The 02-S in PCGS 67 ex Friend/Pryor is a decent coin, and the 1907-D in PCGS 67 was very nice. Prices realized confirm my read on the 07-D, but I did not bid on it. My MS 66 example is nice and though the MS 67 would improve my set, buying it now was not in the cards for me.

Had fun working at Harry Laibstain's table. The show was not as well attended as I would have hoped, and the fire alarm going off on Thursday, really had a negative impact on the attendance, perhaps half the attendees left and did not return. >>

Thanks for the report Dr. Pete. I saw US Coins had that 04-S listed on eBay for quite a while. I was wondering if it ever found a home yet. I guess not. Seeing two 65's on the same bourse floor seems like a rare occurrence.

I see DLRC listed an old Friend 07-S in 65 recently. That looks like a really nice coin.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thx! I was thinking that too. Initially, I thought the beans were silly ...until I owned a few. That pretty shiny sticker just puts that extra big glob of icing on the cake! >>

I hate paying the extra money for the coins that have them but I like it when it is time to sell. I currently have a 1959 Proof66 Franklin in a Doily with a Gold Bean up for auction on Great Collections. Since I have a total of $40 into the coin/shipping/bean all together, I have high hopes. image >>

Awesome! I hope there is a big bidding war on it! GL
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott - Here's another XF 97-O half to add to your census.

Mike - On the plus side, the 09-S is in an OGH.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern,

That 97-o Is simply "fantastic"

<< <i>Vern,

That 97-o Is simply "fantastic" >>

Yes Vern, that 97-O is very, very nice.. Most of the 97-O halves don't seem to be extremely attractive.. Mine is a little glossy but still pretty dang nice

This coin many of you likely saw on the bay last Sunday night just arrived today - This coin is an S/S variety although the holder doesn't say so .. If I could take close up images of the MM I would but until I get someone to take a good shot of it, ya'll just gonna have to trust me image ... Coin went quite a bit cheaper than I anticipated ....

imageimage

imageimage
    [.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    Nice 11-S Scott.
    I was looking very hard at that coin, but I had my eye on something else. (That I did not win! )
    I agree, it was a fair price. Congrats!
    I picked up the 93-O PC58 CAC. On David's web site. I forgot to copy the pictures again!
    I will try to put some pictures later.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Scott - Nice acquisition on the 11-S qtr. As I'm sure I stated before, a very under-rated date.

KAJ - Looking forward to seeing pics of the 93-O.

Mike - Good looking 98-O dime. Congrats.

Pics for tonight, one more 97-O half, a VF30 newp into Paesan's stash.

Vern
    l
    A little deflection from all the nice 97-O coins .. Here is a coin I don't think I ever posted - I acquired it some 3 years ago - It's really sweet. A really nice and original 1905 PCGS 58 - beautiful golden rim tone with golden hues throughout ...Highly lustrous, mark free surfaces. major eye appeal on this common date. A true slider - really close to MS .. Looks like cheek rub in the photos but the illusion is the shadows. In hand, there really is no cheek rub. Not sure where the rub is honestly:
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Yacorie1Yacorie1 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    All of you folks sure have some nice coins - lots of quarters and dimes of which I don't have many and certainly not in the condition being posted.

Here are more new halves for me - one used to belong to Log Potato. Also have an 95-S en route - but not sure what it'll look like in hand.

1915-S

• PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    great stuff Yacorie! Thanks for sharing image
    [
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I just think it's cool that a PC64/CAC 1913-S quarter sold on the BST yesterday. image
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
    Dennis - PM sent.
    Vern
    l
    [.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Yacorie1Yacorie1 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just think it's cool that a PC64/CAC 1913-S quarter sold on the BST yesterday. image >>

That was a nice coin posted - only about 18k outside of my price range.
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    The 13-S was also posted to dealers yesterday on the wholesale network. Exceptionally nice 64, probably the nicest MS one for the assigned grade I have seen. I had alerted a couple of folks about it as I knew it wouldn't last and boy was that right! image Congratulations to the new owner. Great pickup.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
    pretty nice looking 01-S XF Quarter on the bay - NGC XF40 (pop 1 @ NGC) .. Nice original look - a bit pricey of course:
    1901 S 25c XF40
    imageimage
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern,

You should be familiar with this 01-s , remember several years ago, you and I both were in attendance at the CSNS show where this PCGS VF-30 (maybe 35 ) OGH was being sold , had nice original surfaces, but had that bad scratch from ear out to rim. I just couldn't give in to buy it with that kind of issue,(wasn't as flush with cash either then) it sold, then shortly after it showed up on teapartys site for sale.

Looking at the pics now, this coin apparently has been messed with , maybe to try and cover the scratch a little more. I think it was sold at auction a few months ago again. simply coins must have bought it

jim
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Vern,

You should be familiar with this 01-s , remember several years ago, you and I both were in attendance at the CSNS show where this PCGS VF-30 (maybe 35 ) OGH was being sold , had nice original surfaces, but had that bad scratch from ear out to rim. I just couldn't give in to buy it with that kind of issue,(wasn't as flush with cash either then) it sold, then shortly after it showed up on teapartys site for sale.

Looking at the pics now, this coin apparently has been messed with , maybe to try and cover the scratch a little more. I think it was sold at auction a few months ago again. simply coins must have bought it

jim >>

LOL! Busted! Quite ugly for a 40 if you ask me...looks like a details type of coin to me.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Yacorie1

Very nice pick ups! Thanks for sharing the pics.

MFH

Beautiful Dimes!

Scott - This 01-S used to be in a PCGS-30 holder.

Jim - I remember the coin, brought $20.7K in 2005, and I agree, it's definitely been messed with since then. I don't know why anyone would, the original surfaces were almost enough to make one forget the scratch. Now it doesn't even have that. I can't say that I've seen this coin at auction lately though. Must have missed it.

Yacorie - Nice halves.

Mike - And now an '07-S. The dime set is rapidly progressing.
    Vern
    l
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pickup, Mike. There's enough 'crust' there to make an extra large deep dish pizza!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I looked at that 01-S, all I could see was a big scratch. Didn't matter to me what holder it was in. That said, it is quite interesting and telling to me how you guys recognize coins that have been to the recycling plant. There is a wonderful network of astute and observant collectors out there, and I would probably never buy a 13-S or an 01-S better than VG if it didn't come from one of you guys.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
    Mike, splendid 96-S half.
    Looks strikingly like one I tried prying away from Sal Falcone a few years ago. If he turned it loose, I wouldn't be the surprised if that's it.
    The 96-S half was recently graded in the past 3-4 months. Could have been in in a previous holder though, one never can be 100% sure. image It's a nice one though and I am sure MFH will enjoy it.

Mike, that 96-S half is incredible...great pickup image
    Mike - Nice crusty addition.

Tonight's pics, a recent acquisition into Paesan's stash.

Vern
    l
    I agree that 96-S Half is perfect - Many of these coins, when fully original (as opposed to lackluster and dipped out) graded AU50 offer the perfect blend of full detail, original toning and luster (albeit often muted) .. these coins yield perfect eye appeal IMO and that 96-S Half is the epitome of it ...

Lenny - I presume that is the 93-S Half I cued you on a few weeks ago (55 from Texas?) .. Superb if it is - that has the look I am speaking of with more luster - That 93-S is perfection personified.

GREAT COINS!

So while browsing some obscure websites the other day, I located this 97-S Quarter with the rare center mint mark. graded XF40 in an NGC holder, it should be here tomorrow or Wednesday .. I thought it looked border line 35/40 - two local experts chimed in rendering opinions of the coin grading XF .. The pix are too small and insufficient pixils to render a proper assessment - either way, the coin was a great find IMO ..

Below (the seller's) image of the 97-S is one of the two coins from a different recent purchase that just arrived. Some may know where this coin came from. The coin is not as dark as my poor photography makes it look. It is a golden patina with rainbow hues of rose, aqua and teal nicely blended --- A very attractive and lustrous piece ... Those unfamiliar are welcome to take a stab at the grade if you so desire

1897-S 25c NGC XF40 (center mint mark)

1892-S NGC xx-xx
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Great find on that 97-S centered mm. These are very, very rare. Hard to determine on the grade from that photo but nice score! image

• JMWJMW Posts: 497
    Three newps for the dime set. Very different looks all PCGS 58's. The 07-O and the 10-D made from raw coins

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage
    Scott - Great additions. I'll guess 58 on the 92-S, but if you said 62 or 63, I wouldn't be shocked. Can't find any wear from your pics.

Joe - Way to go. It's got to be next to impossible to find upgrades for your stellar dime set.

No pics tonight, photobucket doesn't seem to want to load.
    Vern
    l
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Scott,

Very nice 97-S!

Doug

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Great scoop on the 97-S center MM, Scott! imageimage
    Thank you all - I got lucky on the 97-S Quarter - it was actually on Collector's Corner (through Sam Sloat Coins)

Mike - I am telling you man --- start a blog or write a book ! Would be a great read!!

Good call Vern (and Mike) --- The NGC 1892-S is an MS61 from the recent Heritage Sale ... I believe the 61 grade comes from a combination of the slightly darker toning (not as dark as my crummy images) and a tiny patch of very small hairlines in the right obverse field buried under the toning that are almost impossible to see unless you are looking for them in the right light at the right angle. Even then, they are miniscule.
    imageimage
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW Mike...Thanks for the Plug!

LOL on the pictures. I don't have enough time(or I'm to lazy image ) to contend with different picture formatting,let alone uploading to another websight. All anyone here has to do to avoid ebay fees is send me a PM here as many have done...including yourself! My ebay name is the same as here!
    Quick turnaround on my collectors club free submission- 12 working days.
    Just a little clutch of Barbery items.
    In another thread I was musing about how my 09-O quarter would be received by The House. Alas, the AU pops are still intact, but happy nontheless.
    Line # Item # Cert # PCGS No. CoinDate Denomination Variety Country Grade
    1 1 27693069 5655 1909-O 25C   USA XF45
    2 1 27693070 6490 1901-O 50C   USA VF20
    3 1 27693071 6499 1904-O 50C   USA XF45
    4 1 27693072 6500 1904-S 50C   USA VF30
    5 1 27693073 6502 1905-O 50C   USA VF25
    6 1 27693074 6515 1908-S 50C   USA AU55
    dogwood, I would love to see them! Nice grades!
  • JMWJMW Posts: 497
    I give up Photobucket is way too much work. What are my other options??
    Thanks for this one Scott, PCGS AU 50 and a nice addition to the quarter set.

imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file