Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Vern, thanks for taking the time to examine and photograph the recent box of coins ... I think you do a phenomenal job of capturing the look , color and luster of coins and have a wonderful talent.

In a perfect world, the Wings and Kings both win in 7 (I hate the Sharks almost as much as I hate the Penguins) .. Would love to see Davey slay Goliath (although I can't see it)

Now that you (and Paisan) have had an opportunity to view the coins in hand, what do you think of Todd's photos as far as reproducing the look and texture of the coin .. The only coin in that box that I have a photo from Todd of is the 92-TDR .. Here is Todd's image as a refresher.
    imageimage
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

<< <i> Scott........although I no longer own this coin... I thought I'd share space with yours... >>

it's a pop 2 coin; so now we have seen each of them .. that is just as nice looking as the one I found back in 2009. Everyone who has seen it, thinks it is a true MS coin ... Including Paul Joseph from ANACS; several well known dealers who specialize in Barber coinage and Barber collectors from this forum ... I may send it in to see if it gets bumped to the 64 grade it deserves .. I doubt they would make such a major correction; but you never know
    imageimage
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott - It was my pleasure, thanks for sending the coins. Below are my pics of your 1892 for comparison. And good luck B's against Pens, GO WINGS tonight.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
    Scott - Now that I look at both sets of pics, my unprofesssional ones and Todd's professional ones, his look much better, but mine look more like the coin in hand. Certainly not exactly like it, and I don't have the capability to remove the scuffs in the plastic, which are a definite distraction. No disrespect meant to Todd.
    Vern
    l
    Duh!
    Vern
    l
    And while I'm at it, here is a beautiful newp from Paesan's stash, PC64 CAC.

Vern
    l
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, I hope it's not too late to get in on the '92 Barber Half parade....I have so few of my coins imaged that I'd hate to
    miss this opportunity to participate!

From Glenn, my first BST transaction after joining the forum back in '07, photos by Todd at 2013 Winter FUN:

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    Walkerguy - Great looking '92.

No pics for tonight, still recovering from last night's Wings fiasco.
    Vern
    l
    WG21- Really nice coin - love the look

Vern - I know exactly what you are saying. Both sets of images are excellent. Your images are also more realistic in my opinion, for lack of the correct adjective (predicate actually). Most of my attempts to photo that coin were futile and came out terrible. Of course coins have different looks in varying lighting and angles, contributing to the complexity. I actually think both sets of images are reasonable facsimiles of the true look of the coin. I wonder what a PCGS True-View would look like image I don't often find those to be entirely "true" from my limited exposure to them.
    imageimage
    Scott - Of my only coins that are Tru-Viewed (5 that I know of), 3 look close to the coin, 2 do not. The ones that don't, a seated half and a trade dollar, have more color. Don't know if this is the reason or not. Great game 7 last night, only the wrong team won. Here's hoping for a Hawks/B's Cup final.

Vern
    l
    Here's a beauty from the Iowa collection.

Vern
    l
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Two very gorgeous quarters posted, Vern. That 08-S is a real stunner though. And a nice RPM on the 16-D.
    Latest addition compliments of a CU forum member - I will let him speak for himself shall he decide to - This beauty has glassy mirrored fields deeply toned in shades of cold, steely grey and silver. The centers are brilliant and silver. Full cartwheel luster on both the obverse and reverse. I sold my old dipped 1908-S/55 back in February without a replacement at the time and am very grateful for the opportunity to acquire this beautiful piece. My pix as usual don't really replicate the luster, although the look itself is quite close. Thanks again!
    imageimage

This 1903 Quarter is compliments of Vic Bozarth .. This is the first 1903 Quarter in an AU grade that was half decent I have seen in over 2 years. A mostly silver/untoned coin with creamy, luster and hints of golden toning
    imageimage

imageimage
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sam

That '08 S is amazing.

Are the mirrors as deep as they appear?
    Frank

BHNC #203

<< <i>Sam That '08 S is amazing. Are the mirrors as deep as they appear? >>

Frank - Yes they truly are very deep, and if anything, understated in the photos (I am going to ask Vern to shoot this coin as my photography, quite frankly, not very good .. Perhaps the original owner shall he decide to step forward, has better images.
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful 99-S Dime, Mike! image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Justin - Don't recall that 16-D qtr being a RPM. Might just be a funky punch (or lousy photographer). Perhaps Doug will comment.

Scott - Nice newps, would be happy to photograph anything you'd like.

Mike - Congrats on the newps (and re-acquisitions). Especially like the 99-S dime.

Pics for tonight, a newp from the Iowa collection, as close to perfect as an AU58 can get, and it's a very tough date. How much would an 01-S bring that looked like this?

Vern
    l
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not Barber related, but was wondering if the Great Collections sticker on the reverse slab is removing PCGS's hologram when it's taken off? Have seen this with other stickers in past. 15-s has most of the hologram
    gone. This is a security feature is it not? Regards, Mel
    Great group of coins, Mike. That quarter is a screamer.

Barberkeys - I think MOST 16D quarters possess a RPM of one kind or another - I think there may be something like 3 different varieties. I seldom see a 16D w/o an RPM.
    And awesome 08S, btw image

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

<< <i>Great group of coins, Mike. That quarter is a screamer.

Barberkeys - I think MOST 16D quarters possess a RPM of one kind or another - I think there may be something like 3 different varieties. I seldom see a 16D w/o an RPM.
    And awesome 08S, btw image >>

Yep, 16-D's without an RPM are in the minority. image

Nice acquisitions, Mike. I can't wait to see the high res pics of that 99-S dime. A whole lot of color on that one.

[.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Non removable = cheap labels ...should have used R5195 removable adhesive image

[
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm ... the price was right & it will keep the old car together! image

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barbers caught in the wild?

See Target #4 in this video.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike,

You have sure been on a tear lately! Guess retirement isn't slowing you down too much!!
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barber guys

Just made an 11-d quarter in pcgs 58 ?
    Nice coin Jim !! Well done !!

I'll trade ya my 55 for it image ... Straight up none the less image
    imageimage

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike - Great looking album tone on the 98-O quarter. Too bad about the 15-S dime. Automation is a wonderful thing, until it screws up.

Jim - Got an 11-S to go with it?

Pics for tonight, newp from the Iowa collection, from Glenn H:

imageimage
    Vern
    l
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Guys, Been a while for me. Haven't found much to get excited about lately. Vern graciously posted the 98 that I bought at a local show. Happy to say that he and Doug really liked it so that's a good sign. Also got a 1900 quarter from eBay which I later found out was an ex Doug coin too. Besides that 94-S dime, nothing really catches my eye lately. The Stash is on standby.

Still enjoying all your posts.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A big THANKS to Mike for pointing this one out to me.
    Amazing what hides under really badly scratched up slabs sometimes.image
    imageimage

That is one sweet '92 half!

Mike, that's a beauty from Tom Bush. I bet that thing just pops in hand.

Vern, digging the Iowa 07-D. I saw the Iowa collection is the new curator of an 01-O in 58 as well. image

LD, that's a very nice half.

Nice to see you again, paesan. image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Paesan - The stash would be more than a stash if you added that 94-S dime.

LindeDad - Wonderful '92 half. Thanks for posting.

Justin - Yes, the 01-O moved 250 miles west, into a collection of its peers.

Mike - That's a beautiful '93. Can't imagine why it wouldn't cross.

Scott - So far so good on an original six Cup finals.

Pics for tonight, my latest acquisition, part of the 01-O move:

Vern
    l
    Another couple of nice ones, Mike & Vern.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    Sweet 98-O Mike.
    I picked this up on the Bay today. It will soon go to our host.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    My friend Keyman64 approached me about his one and only Barber - saying he really didn't know why he
    bought it [ I do, it was an amazing coin !! ]. Well, he offered it to me - and its being shipped in the morning
    mail. This is a very stunning coin - and although its in an ANACS 63 - I'll send it to our hosts soon enough.
    >>

I can't wait until you get it back from PCGS as that is what I wanted to do with it all along. I'm glad you will enjoy it.

As to the accuracy of your statement about that being my only Barber...it was certainly my only slabbed Barber but I think I have a beat up dime somewhere and this piece... image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    Mike - Timing is everything on the 98-O in AU. Beautiful coin, congrats. Also, two very nice pick-ups from Heritage.

KAJ - Nice looking 99-S.

Pics for tonight, original 58 from the Iowa collection:

Vern
    l
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys, those are gorgeous coins!

I have a question for the pros. What qualities should one look for in a well struck barber coin?
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am so glad I don't do quarters or dimes. Mike...maybe you can sell your house and rent the 94-S....it would look very nice in your set. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file