Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike,

I was quite pleasantly pleased, Name of the buyer does not ring a bell with me. (from mass) I saw you were the runner up bidder.

JIm
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    [
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such a nice mix of type being posted recently. Many beauts. My favorite is the look of that Pan-pac half.

Jim's 11-D brought a good buck but not crazy money.

Pics for tonight, a Paesan newp, 1892 TDR:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    luv that 1882 image
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Vern, wish all my varieties looked that good!

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
    Paesan - Your '92 TDR is definitely undergraded IMO, lustrous, very few marks, good strike.

Pics for tonight, another beauty from the Iowa collection:

Vern
    l
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice couple of 92's, both of them. Vern, as picture extrordinaire, do you ever have the urge to keep these beauties just "a bit longer". I'd have a hard time sending some back. image

Newp for me. Common date, but the hole was empty and she fit right in.

• KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    This will finish my 1899 mint set. It's from D.K. These are his photos.
    He wrote on his web site that he did not shoot this coin well, and it has full mint luster, and is Proof Like.
    He stated this was a very special coin.
    I have never seen that in any write up from David. I trust his eye.
    So I called him. And I found out the history of the coin. It comes from an old Mid West collection. The coin was in a 2x2 flip.
    There was a small tear in the 2x2 around the neck area of Liberty on the Obverse. That's where the toning on the neck comes from.
    I am very excited to get this coin in hand!

imageimage
    Justin - Tempted? A little, but at least I have the pics to look at. Nice 08-D.

KAJ - Neat background, nice coin, congrats. I like DK.

Pics for tonight, the pop of 09-O qtrs in 58 just doubled. Here is the new one, courtesy of Paesan's stash.

Vern
    l
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Lenny/Vern - That 09-O is the true definition of not only conditionally scarce; but just plain old rare --- super nice. Can that upgrade be a nomination for the official Barber You Suck award ? image

Kevin - I saw that 99-O/62 for several days on Dave's site - nice coin and good price

Justin - Nice 1908-D Half - lovely

Vern/Lenny - coins are in transit with estimated delivery date of this Saturday .. Can't wait to see your images of them - may take a while

This coin will not be in this batch

These will be included - I think you may like the first coin the most out of the batch but there are a few others you may like better. Looking forward to your images of them all, particularly the 08-S Half and the 99-O Quarter. Paesan will see the 96-S/58 Half, 11-D/55, 01-O/45 quarters and you will see the 11-D 58 amongst others .. He will send those coins up north when he is done salivating (j/k).. .Curious as to your & Doug's thoughts on that 93-S Half ...

This coin is about as full a strike as I have for an AU coin. the marks on the face are very magnified by the lens and are just dirt

Off to game 5 in Chi-Town Saturday AM - We fly out of PVD at 1pm; arriving somewhere around 230pm. We are flying into MDW (not O'Hare) and staying at one of the airport hotels. Meeting 8 people at 430pm and going to the Kettle Club at the United Center for dinner then I have to sit surrounded by Blackhawks fans - great seats about 6 rows off the ice at the end of the rink the Hawks shoot twice ... I don't have a good feeling about this ... Flight out Sunday is early with a layover in BWI of all places

imageimage
    Scott - Don't know the guidelines for the You Suck award, so can't make the nomination. Really looking forward to seeing your coins, what a great hobby. Enjoy the game Saturday, and especially the national anthem, although it's nothing like it was at the old Chicago Stadium.

Newp, just rec'd today. It's nice to post something from my own collection every now and then.

Vern
    l
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    The 1904 looks really nice Vern, I can't wait to see it next month.

Doug
    Good looking 04 and 92-S quarters.
    Heat rule!
    Looking forward to football now.

Paesan
    Pics for this AM, from Paesan's stash:

Vern
    l
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    sweet 96-O...that's an endless surprise of great material being shared here image
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice 96O quarter posted.

Glad to hear things are going well in CO, Mike, and apparently no impact from the fires out there.
    And to be able to sit and admire hundreds of nice Barbers like that with JMW, was probably worth the trip out in itself.
    And good luck with your course!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm. ....seems as if I've seen the beautiful 96-O Quarter in hand! ...very nice Paesan!

Thank you Craig. The story behind this coin would take 5 pages of the thread. I'm happy to be the guardian.

Paesan
    That 96-0 looks special to me.. looks like has phenomenal eye appeal, depth and terrific color.
    Super find ...

Vern/Paesan - I will send the 96-0/55 quarter I found a few months ago in a future delivery .. The skin and tone very much resemble the 1913/58 quarter in the present batch..... (I have my own opinions and theories for the reasons a given coin in my collection looks the way it may today)...... I could use a nice photo of it Vern .. all i have are my own .. image
    imageimage
    Scott - Pics should be in your inbox. Here is my attempt to get a decent set of pics of your 08-S half.

Vern
    l
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful 08-S half there!

I should soon be in possession of a nice one coin upgrade to my set. From the New England Museum collection offered recently by Stacks Bowers. Keep tuned. I don't know how to post images to this board, but when I have the coin and update my set, the True View image is already there at PCGS, so it should be visible soon. I'll give a hint as to the date. Something that starts with 189.
    Dr. Pete
    Dr Pete - With your wonderful collection, it's not often a possible upgrade comes along.

Pics for tonight, my shots of the 11-D Jim Dimmick had on ebay, thanks again Scott.

imageimage
    Vern
    l

<< <i>Dr Pete - With your wonderful collection, it's not often a possible upgrade comes along............. >>

Agreed, and I can't wait to see it.

That 11-D & 08-S are very nice.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    Nice 11-D Scott!
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Very nice 11-D Scott! I wish I had bid on the coin.

Doug
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would anyone here consider Trade dollars as part of the thread? They were Barber coins too right??
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    I like seeing nice coins, period! Lets see some trade dollars!

Paesan

<< <i>Beautiful 08-S half there! >>

Thank you Dr. Pete .. I never grow tired of looking at your amazing collections on the registry .. Every coin is amazing. The time, thought and effort you put forth in describing and tracing the pedigrees is extremely interesting. You have constructed some breathtaking and positively amazing sets

Cheers
    Scott
    imageimage
    Nice 1908-S, Scott...I have a feeling it looks even better in person image
    I am no more than the caretaker of a coin in a long line of collectors. A privileged line of collectors

Scott
    imageimage
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Thank you Dr. Pete .. I never grow tired of looking at your amazing collections on the registry .. Every coin is amazing. The time, thought and effort you put forth in describing and tracing the pedigrees is extremely interesting. You have constructed some breathtaking and positively amazing setsText

Thank you Scott! It has been, and continues to be a very fun and enjoyable journey. Also, as you have said, we are no more than caretakers of these fine little treasures we call coins.

WELL, I just opened the package from (who else? Harry Laibstain, of course) and the 1896 PCGS MS 66+ half from the New England Museum collection is now my newest addition to my set. As soon as I get the certificate listed, I will have my set updated.

It is a magnificent original coin with a great story and pedigree and fits nicely in with my set. I am very happy about this latest addition to my set!
    Dr. Pete
    Mike - I am very fortunate to be able to study and photograph some of the Iowa, Paesan and SAM coins. It's like being at a coin show at home.

Dr. Pete - Congrats.

Pics for tonight, my only trade dollar:

Vern
    l
    Same coin, previous holder. I'm going to have to take another set of pics, neither of these really looks llike the coin. Practice, practice, practice.

Vern
    l

<< <i>Thank you Dr. Pete .. I never grow tired of looking at your amazing collections on the registry .. Every coin is amazing. The time, thought and effort you put forth in describing and tracing the pedigrees is extremely interesting. You have constructed some breathtaking and positively amazing setsText

Thank you Scott! It has been, and continues to be a very fun and enjoyable journey. Also, as you have said, we are no more than caretakers of these fine little treasures we call coins.

WELL, I just opened the package from (who else? Harry Laibstain, of course) and the 1896 PCGS MS 66+ half from the New England Museum collection is now my newest addition to my set. As soon as I get the certificate listed, I will have my set updated.

It is a magnificent original coin with a great story and pedigree and fits nicely in with my set. I am very happy about this latest addition to my set! >>

I saw that you updated your set. That coin looks amazing. Congrats on the upgrade.
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭

Saw Mike's Dimes, thought they were all a.t.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike - I take it stealer saw your dimes at the ANA summer seminar.

For tonight, a colorful coin from the stash:

Vern
    l
    Let's see if I can start something new and fun .. I will go first .. Anyone interested, please follow along - let's try to keep it at one trivia question per night but I am no MOD and I am a believer in Freedoms so write away o ye so desire ...

For now .. this will be opening night for : Charles Barber Trivia Night - All trivia questions must be somehow pertaining to/around Charles Barber and the coinage and history associated with Barber **OR** the era of America as we knew it then (we'll open this up to the American History aficionados .. Which is great for me since I slept through 10th grade History .. Would love to get some of my education back

NO Cheating now !! Takes all the fun out of it ...

Test your knowledge - Trivia Night - Session 1:

Name the Top 5 date and mint mark Barber Quarters with the lowest pops for coins graded MS65 or finer. The fewest number of coins graded MS65 and finer shall be the #1 answer; so the least the number graded through the 5th least number of coins graded MS65 or finer just for PCGS pops. There may be ties in which case there will be more than 5 total answers .. I will say no more so as to not provide any more clues ..

Keep in mind if there is a tie, there will be more than 5 total answers (unlike scoring in a purse related event like golf where ties combine so if there are two people tied for second, the next best would be 4th, not 3rd. The two people who tied for 2nd will combine 2nd & 3rd place prize money thereby eliminating a 3rd place)

I have the answers from coin facts as of 1105pm EST 6/27/13 ... I will reveal the answers sometime tomorrow - anyone reading this post feel free to chime in ..... But you're on the honor system !!!!

GOOD LUCK !!
    imageimage
    Scott - I remember looking up which qtrs were scarce in high grades last fall as I was trying to decide how much to bid on an 09-O qtr in 64, Stacks had in the November Baltimore auction. My memory is marginal at best, but as I recall, the rarest dates were: 09-O; 98-S; 11-D; 99-S and 96-S. Other than the 09-O being the rarest, the others could be in any order (and maybe not even belong in the top 5).

Pics for tonight, one of Scott's beautiful halves, and the 09-O qtr I bought in the above mentioned auction:

Vern
    l
    Scott - I don't know quarters that well, especially not in MS. But my WAG would be the same as Vern. The 09-O has probably the least amount. The others, not really sure. I'll say the 95-O, 98-O, 01-O and 98-S. No particular order, that's just random thoughts. Beautiful 93-P 50c.

Vern - Even with nice pictures, that 09-O is 10x more stunning in hand. Gorgeous coin.
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern

That '09 O is a very scarce coin esp in that condition, I've been looking for years.

Nice grab

and that '99 S is another really tough piece.

congrats
    Frank

BHNC #203

Taking out big 3, I'll guess 09-O, 99-S, 98-S, 97-O, 01-O

Funny that a nice 58 of any of those dates might bring as much as a 65.

Paesan
    Here are the top 5 lowest pop report for the Barber Quarter series for coins graded by PCGS as MS65 or finer .. I will also list some other results you may find interesting.

* The least number of coins graded MS65 or finer is as guessed by just about everyone: 1909-O with 7 coins reaching MS65 or finer

* Second we have the 1911-D. Surprised? I was ... Just 8 coins are graded MS65 or finer (5 are MS65; 3 finer)

* In third place we have a tie. The 1896-S and 1898-S each have 9 coins graded MS65 or finer. For the 1896-S, 8 are MS65 and 1 is finer. The 96-S has the fewest superb gems of the entire series with a lone 66. The 1898-S also has 9 coins graded MS65 or finer (7 are MS65; 2 are finer. There is a 66+ and a 67)

* Next (4th) would be another tie. The 2 tied coins are the 1895-S and 1896-O. The 1895-S has 11 coins graded MS65 or finer (8/3). There are 2 coins graded 66 and one graded 67. The 1896-O has 7 coins graded 65 and 4 finer.

* Last we have a 3 way tie with 12 coins graded MS65 or finer. The 3 coins that are tied for 5th are: 1893-S, 1895-O and 1901-O.

Other factoids:

* The 1892-S is 6th right behind the 93-s/95-O/01-O trio with just 13 coins graded 65/finer.

* The 1907-D with just 14 coins graded MS65 or finer is right behind the 1892-S. This one really surprised me; to be ahead of the 98-O, 01-S and so far down the conditionally rare scale .. I know the 07-D is an under rated better date borderline semi key .. but still .. Behind the 98-O, 99-O, 01-S,

* The 98-O, 99-O and 01-S all have 15 coins graded MS65 or finer. The 1897-S has 16 coins grade MS65 or finer (11/5)

* The 1913-S has 33 coins graded MS65/finer (18/15)

* The 1906-O has 63 coins graded MS65/finer (34 graded MS65/29 finer: 21 are MS66; 3 are MS66+ and 5 are MS67 ........ .WOW !! That was the real shocker to me

Thanks for playing everyone !!
    imageimage
    Justin & Frank - Thanks for the knd words about the 09-O.

Scott - Excellent posts.

Pics for tonight, from the Iowa collection, another of the many tough to find barber quarters:

Vern
    l
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern:

Another beauty and very scarce piece.

Frank

BHNC #203

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file