Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Well .. My turn to post pix on behalf of another member .. Here are the images of Notehunter's beautiful 1901-O PCGS AU53 Half Dollar ... Wow-zer .. It looks very nice ... Perfectly graded IMO .. Nice and conservative .. Appears to have beautiful surfaces, nice luster and the strike is really bold .. What a sweet coin !! One of the nicest 01-O Halves I have seen ... Congrats image

imageimage
    imageimage
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my latest pick up on the slowly growing set!
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    That is an awesome 01-O, NH.

Very nice dime, erwindoc.
  • Scott- Thank you posting the picture for me.
    Justin- Thank you for your comments on the 01-o
    Mike- I hope to find the sister half to your 15-s quarter tomorrow at FUN
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Notehunter - Great looking 01-O, congrats on a tough, tough find.

Erwindoc - Good looking dime, thanks for posting.

Good hunting to those in Orlando.

Pics for tonight, tough date newp for the stash, PC55:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
    Heard Paesan did well at FUN. Hope others following this post did as well. I'll bet Mike did.

Pics for tonight, from my raw set:

Vern
    l
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hada great time at FUN! The time went by quickly and there were enough tables to make it worthwhile but not too many as to make it overwhelming. It wasn't overcrowded either. Plenty of space to move around and chairs to sit in and view coins. My only Barber take was an 1895-O quarter pcgs XF-45. I picked up 7 other type coins though. I was going for anything with strong eye appeal, no distractions and reasonable price. (The trifecta) I saw lots of very beautiful coins yesterday but priced to the moon. Happy and lucky to find several that weren't.

Justin: There were not too many VF Barber halves to chose from that had your look. Sorry! My favorite coin that I purchased, however, was in fact a VF half that you would probably love, a 21-D. You've gotta see this coin! It has such great eye appeal IMO that I'll bet if you put it in a lineup of XFs and AUs, your eyes would be drawn to this one every time.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

<< <i>Hada great time at FUN! The time went by quickly and there were enough tables to make it worthwhile but not too many as to make it overwhelming. It wasn't overcrowded either. Plenty of space to move around and chairs to sit in and view coins. My only Barber take was an 1895-O quarter pcgs XF-45. I picked up 7 other type coins though. I was going for anything with strong eye appeal, no distractions and reasonable price. (The trifecta) I saw lots of very beautiful coins yesterday but priced to the moon. Happy and lucky to find several that weren't.

Justin: There were not too many VF Barber halves to chose from that had your look. Sorry! My favorite coin that I purchased, however, was in fact a VF half that you would probably love, a 21-D. You've gotta see this coin! It has such great eye appeal IMO that I'll bet if you put it in a lineup of XFs and AUs, your eyes would be drawn to this one every time.

Paesan >>

No problem, Paesan. I appreciate you even looking. I would love to see that 21-D.

Mike, thank you for the report. Good luck with the bidding this evening and everyone else. Looks like some nice coins coming across the auction block tonight.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report, Mike - and as always, great to see you - and thanks for the advice on that '96S half.

Yes, like Log, I want to see this 21D half in VF also! How did I miss it?

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    Hi Mike, Super glad you got those quarters after all. Ironically, I'm sure you paid less than what I wanted for them. I have them to consign at a discount in exchange for a nice package deal on several type coins, and also to strengthen our business relationship which I value more than the extra cash. So in a roundabout way it worked out well for the three of us!

Doug and Vern, Glad you had a good meeting!

Funny that in a roundabout way I connected with the previous owner of the first pcgs 58 09-O quarter today. I'm looking forward to swapping stories with him. It's so interesting how this hobby seems to bring me in contact with so many interesting people!

Paesan
    Logman and Walkerguy, I'll find a way to get some pix to you. So far I only have iPhone shots. Doug, Vern, and Scott gave a thumbs up so far so that's a plus!

Paesan
    Sounds like it was a good day at FUN for all. Paesan's 21-D walker looks great, look forward to seeing it in hand. It will be good to see pics of everyone's newps.

Pics for tonight, a coin from the Iowa collection that I rate higher than it's owner, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Sweet 09-S image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Best 09-S I've seen. I had a nice 58 that went to Walt in a trade, but this one looks better. Don't see 09-S in 55-58 very much.

All Barbers in Heritage auction that I had an interest in went too high for me. My favorite was the 99-O 58, but it sold for twice the price of my current coin. I think it was sweet.

My only take was an 1871-S seated half pcgs 55. Pops (17/49) I believe. I think priced way too low in the guides.
    Possible old time dip job but I hope it looks good in hand.

Looking forward to hearing who got what, but I'm most curious about that 1895-S quarter in AU 58.

Paesan
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike, that's a nice looking 07-D.

I think that if you want to collect 58s, stay away from the auctions. Look for direct sales and try to negotiate a fair price. Problem free 58s at auction will cost you, while lower AU coins can still be had at reasonable prices.

Paesan
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike, I liked that one too. Glad you won it. You're making good progress on that set for sure!

Paesan
    Paesan & Mike - Good job on the newps. Agree that the 99-O was really nice, and at least 2 bidders thought so as well. And how about the AU58, 1895-S qtr? $1950 plus the juice. WOW!!!

Pics for tonight, less expensive 95-S's, Iowa collection's PC55, and my PC63:

Vern
    l
    Ill have to get mine pictured up too. Those 95-S's are both very nice. I'd like to get an s/s in a pcgs holder for my variety collection.

Looking forward to the next round of Heritage quarters. There are some really tough ms 64-65 coins on the list.

Paesan

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, congrats on the AU53. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Ten bucks hardly covers the silver. Nice find.

Paesan
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    I have been watching ahead for some time, but now Heritage has posted many high-end mint state Barber coins, and lesser mint state coins and high-grade circs in their upcoming auction for ANA in Rosemont.

Particularly noteworthy is the complete/nearly complete Owen Barber half set in MS 64-66. There is not one, but two 1904-S halves that are gem or better, one MS 65 and one MS 66! Not sure if any of the coins from this "Owen" collection will work for me, but the lot viewing will give me a chance to look at a lot of coins that I haven't seen before. This will include the MS 67 1893 that was MS 66, then was MS 66+, and after about 15 tries made it into MS 67. The Owen Collection also features many Barber quarters and dimes. Take a look if you have not yet.

Happy collecting!
    Dr. Pete
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Vern - did you say Doug is not overly fond of that gorgeous 09-S Quarter? It may be the nicest AU 09-S I have ever seen

95-S Is one of the most elusive and under rated coins in the series as we have all long agreed .. I found nothing over VF for 2_ years .. then in a matter of 3 months I located three XF or AU - a PCGS XF45 and PCGS AU50 and an NGC AU55 which is currently at PCGS with 11 other coins from the southern and NE stashes being evaluated for cross over

Shortly after the 96-O Half arrived, I was fortunate enough to work a deal for this lovely 1896-P Half .. a very original, dusty, hazy example with beautiful luster. It is very similar in look to the 1894 Half recently viewed in the Midwest and posted a few pages back:
    imageimage

imageimage
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Scott, I like the look of your 96 half! My rating for my 1909-S quarter is 38, it receives a score of 4 for originality. It's probably been cleaned sometime in the past. It's still an above average coin, just not the ultimate.

Mike, thanks for the kind words about my 95-S.

Doug
    Fade - Thanks for posting, great buy.

DrPete - Definitely looking forward to the auction viewing. I think a qtr or two will join my collection.

Scott - Stellar '96, congrats. And I agree with you about Doug's 09-S qtr, it is the best one seen to date. He just rates it a little lower than many of his other coins. I rate it up higher in the pack.
    Vern
    l
    Pics for this AM, 99-O from the Iowa collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
    Nice strike on that 99-O
    Pics for tonight, nice looking coin from the SAM collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
    A lot of great coins being posted. And that 97 is a great looking coin. Some real quality half dollars in the "SAM" collection.

Mike, receive some Journals today. Thank you very much for helping me in my search. It is much appreciated.

Paesan, PM sent on another matter.

FTB, thanks for posting the 13-D. IMO we don't see enough of the dirty, worn and used. That was 10$ well spent.

Scott, Attractive 97 half. Agree with Justin, you've got a superb set going.

Justin, PM acknowledged.

To my three buddies on vacation, have safe and enjoyable trips.

Paesan
    Pics for tonight, a unique dime from the Stash, PC63:

Vern
    l
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike, Coin is pleasing in hand. No clue as to the obverse toning pattern either.

Paesan
    Mike - Not sure why Paesan's dime toned that way. Maybe it was stored in some way which allowed streaks of light/moisture in. Unusual.
    Also, I've found that some coins just don't photograph well, myself. And if both John and Todd can't get it done, it just can't be done for a given coin.

Pics for tonight, another dime from the Stash, PC64:

Vern
    l
    Vern, Thanks for posting the 93-O dime. I'd say that coin also didn't photograph well. It's got outrageous color in hand.

Paesan
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Just back from getting a new daughter-in-law and it's time to begin imaging some of my things.

Mike, fortunately, the 09-S Barber Quarter did not go anywhere and I don't have that "mistake" on my "coin mind".

• Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Paesan,

Attached is my 1906 streaked, Barber Quarter. The image looks lousy but, in hand, the coin is very attractive as is your 90-O Barber Dime.

Oops, I mean your 1892-O Barber dime!
    Craig

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Craig, I love the look of that 06 quarter. I've been "conditioned" to avoid that look, but it appeals to me. I've also always like wood grain toning on Indians and early Lincolns. Thanks for sharing.

Mike, Sure wish I could make in to ANA. I think I'm gonna shoot for 2014, that is if Chicago doesn't go bankrupt first!

Paesan
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't get much to post for this thread but do peruse in regularly. This is a newp for my mint set. 65+
    imageimage
    Sporty coin, Muttley. Thanks!

Paesan
    Craig - Good looking qtr, good to have you back.

Mike - Look forward to seeing you in Chicago.

Bolivar - Great looking V nick, thanks for posting.

Pics for tonight, from the Iowa collection, another coin that my pics don't do justice to, PC53:

Vern
    l
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Mike, I agree, it's much better than AU53. And yes, I will be in Chicago for the ANA convention.

Doug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file