Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Nice dime Mike! I saw that coin on their site a week or so ago, nice to see larger photos. Most definitely under-graded.

Doug
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike - I really like the '07, special ambience with the rattler and gold bean.

Joe - Nice acquisition of a very tough date.

What a wonderful three days at Central States. Meeting up with friends and discussing coins, whether over dinner or at auction lot viewing, is the best part of the hobby. It also didn't hurt that a couple of the best barber quarters to show up in a decade were in the auction. Upon seeing the 01-O in hand, I was certain that this was the nicest one to come along in the past 10 years, in the entire grade range 55 to 64. Since I rate this date in the same league with the 09-O, it wasn't too hard to justify spending the money to get it.

The 08-S was also the nicest 58 to come along since forever, and Doug did very well in securing it to fill the biggest of the very few holes in his collection.

I also was lucky enough to upgrade my 99-O, improve my raw collection with a 1901 from Glenn H, pick up two early type coins and an Indian Cent. It was a special show.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice 12S quarter, Joe - that's one of those tough dates that doesn't get much publicity relative to others in the series - but try and find a nice higher circ example when you need one!

As to the other quarters being posted, well they are just way out of my league image But thanks for posting nonetheless!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    The AU58, 1913-S quarter ended at $13K plus the juice. Cheap, connsidering it's the only one in 58 that's come to market. How high would it have gone if it'd been a nice, no problem 58?

Also, the 01-S qtr in VF25, ended at $16.5 plus the juice. The market understands accurate grading, originality and eye appeal. This 01-S will continue to make the auction rounds for another 5 years.
    Vern
    l
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The price realized on the 01-s doesn't surprise me, what a "not nice" coin

Vern, congrats on the 01-o, jesus, I could not believe it was you that bought it after I watched it sell for crazy $

really nice coin!
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Vern, Doug, Joe all beautiful quarters.

Mike, you are relentless in your pursuits of what you want and I commend you for it. You keep finding dimes ( and that killer half) to fill the holes.

Reading the comments on this forum, especially Don Willis' comments, it's sounds like this was a great show.

Don't know if anyone had any bids (other than Mike) going off in the live sessions left. If you do, good luck. Unless you are bidding against me. image

And to add, Vern, your comments about that 01-S reminds me of another 01-S that seems to get recycled dealer to dealer quite often. Reminds me of Doug Winters' recent blog.
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Very nice coins all. Enjoying this thread quite a lot image
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    The last 3 quarters posted are superb, 12-s, 99-o and 01-o. I don't see enough 01-o examples to know if the date suffers from cruddy strikes like some other New Orleans issues but that one seems very sharp.
    The skin on those 3 are just pristine.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Central States has been a very enjoyable experience, with more to come today. And I'm the one who acquired the 01-O quarter from Heritage Wednesday night. More to follow this weekend. >>

Dang Nice Coin! Glad I'm not competing with you for Halves....Or am I?????

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Well, since Vern, Doug and Mike shared what hey won at this show...

I won lots 8422 and 8451. 1892-S & 1914-P
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Vern - Great coins and great analysis and breakdown of rarity and the amazing under valued coins in the series .. They pretty much all are; just some more than others ..

Congrats Vern, Doug and all the other winners

There was an awful lot of nice Barber material in the recent auction - some of it was just OK .. All of it sold for very strong prices. I restrained myself from bidding on most of it as it was obvious from early on there were a couple of heavyweight battles; the majority of it was either not tempting enough to bid on, or already zoomed up and out of orbit for not so rare coins .. I did win 2 at my max bid - the 92-S NGC-61 and the 05-S NGC 58 .. Both looked fairly nice and each are dates I consider rather elusive.

Mike - Love that 07 dime and the 1900 Half - small world it truly is

Here is a side door sneak in with all the fire works going off in the Central States Show .. this 02-S Quarter was on last week's Teletrade auction.. I have a hard time with the Teletrade images in general, but with this coin, I could see the skin was nice and there was obvious and very pretty toning on the reverse .. I must say I had no idea just how nice this coin really is .. It has superb natural surfaces that are very easy on the eyes .. Light golden periphery toning on the obverse blend to glassy, deep midnight silver centers booming with full cartwheel luster .. Deep and glassy reflectivity and mark free surfaces devoid of contact marks

The reverse is positively breath taking - The toning is unquestionably original toning; absolutely not secondary and pure and very natural - deeply baked into the atomic structure of the metals. There is strong evidence to indicate purely original surfaces with the free and easy and deep golden and amber soft and dense glow of the metal. The periphery toning extends into the stars above the eagle and into and beyond the lettering brushing the outer feathers of the eagle. Turquoise, amber, violet, burnt orange and gold blend in light and luminescent pattern. The coin glistens and shimmers in the light and free flowing cartwheel luster radiates around each side of the coin highlighting every beautiful speck of metal.

imageimage

Doug - I must say a couple months ago when these Quarters were first listed on Heritage, the 1908-S stood out as being one of the most attractive looking coins in the entire auction - key or not - it was one of the nicest coins flat out .. the recent 08-S AU53 on eBay is a little scruffy looking

The coin is positively as original as they get .. it looks like it may have been stored in damp conditions for much of it's life due to the rusty/sienna sandy appearance of it. There is a good amount of luster remaining - much more so that what is perceived through these pictures, or those of the original seller which were hideous quite frankly. There is really attractive subtle halo toning in electric reds and blues that is mostly around the portrait and other devices. .. The rusty, browns and reds dominated patina yields a look of an old and aging antique from the northern woods of New England
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Here ya go Mike... Scott, that is a sweet 02-S and I totally agree with the TT images. The could benefit from a better system maybe. I have bought a few F/VF coins from them so I have a decent idea of what the coin will look like in hand now.

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭
    My first auction win ever on Heritage! I am super excited about this one!

• LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Scott,

I looked at both the 92-S and 05-S quarters, I think you'll like them, congrats!

Tookybandit,

Congrats on your Heritage win, hope you like it.

Mike,

Once again congrats on the nice pick ups!

Doug
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Great pickup!
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to all on the very nice coins recently acquired. Too many to mention individually in a concise format. I ended up with the wishy-washy 1905-O quarter in AU 55, going against good advice and better judgment. Heck, couldn't find anything else I really wanted under three grand!

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Justin - saw that 92-S Half; loved it - I thought it looked XF40 .. those are my favorite 35's - borderline if not XF in VF clothing ... solid detail and nearly full wings with the dark toning and dirt between all the cracks and crevices ... Gorgeous. Oh - the 14-P is a great grab as well

Tooky - congrats on a very fine pickup - well done!

Mike - you have so many stories I think you should write a book about your collecting career - Or at least a blog .. You would have a large following; maybe even a best seller image

Paesan - any 05-O in "55 plastic" will always command a premium; washed or not image
    imageimage
    Jim - I think your term "turd" is the right description of that 01-S.

Dennis - I think this 01-O qtr is in the upper 10% of examples as far as strike.

Darrell - We aren't competing for halves. I only dabble in a few XF's.

Mike - Very nice '06 dime, and congrats on the new quarters.

Scott - That 02-S quarter is incredible. Great acquisition. And you also took two toughies yesterday from Heritage. That 92-S had my eye until the last minute.

Justin - Beautiful 92-S and '14 halves. You have a great eye.

Tooky - Congrats on your first Heritage win, good choice, a barber quarter.

Pics for today, newp from Central States that soon will reside in my raw set.

Vern
    l
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM Button?
    More coins, less government.
    [
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    [.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    I agree, Mike, some real nice stuff being posted at all. We may soon have to make a third thread if we keep this up!

Here is another NEWP. I think this a terrific look or a 35. I tried to capture this coin the best I could with the iPhone in daylight but I am photo challenged. Although considering some of the photos you see on ebay, I'm a regular bluecc. image

<< <i>I agree, Mike, some real nice stuff being posted at all. We may soon have to make a third thread if we keep this up!

Here is another NEWP. I think this a terrific look or a 35. I tried to capture this coin the best I could with the iPhone in daylight but I am photo challenged. Although considering some of the photos you see on ebay, I'm a regular bluecc. image

image >>

Nice Coin Justin! Your getting better with your Iphone! image
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin, Justin, and better pics than I and others can do with a camera image

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    Mike - It's not right, you going out of sequence. I thought I'd have a few weeks before we'd be going head to head for the right 96-O. Very nice '98, by the way.

Justin - Another very nice, orig half.

For tonight, another toughie from the Iowa collection.

And since it's twoforTuesday, a toughie from Paesan's stash.

Vern
    l
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Good Lord that's a sweet 97-o quarter.
    Just wholesome and pure!

There's a coveteted 97-o half in impossible PC 40 on the bay, and I've counted exactly 1 other in any PC XF grade since '07 posted for sale there. But... It's not calling me. Just a tough coin though.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.

<< <i> There's a coveted 97-o half in impossible PC 40 on the bay, and I've counted exactly 1 other in any PC XF grade since '07 posted for sale there. But... It's not calling me. Just a tough coin though. >>

Yes - Arnie is back in full scale operation again ... Looks nice .. I believe that to be more scarce than the 96-O but the evidence dictates otherwise .. Just my personal experience.

I like the look of Arnie's coin .. My 97-O/40 is an ANACS cross from a 2010 purchase from JJT

Laibstain recently had a 45 for sale - those are about the only 2 recent 97-O in XF/AU I can personally recall outside of the NGC58 from Heritage last winter (now a PC55)

And yes, that 97-O Quarter is perfect .. I have been looking for an upgrade to my 50 for over a year ..

These coins are funny .. after 2 1/2 years of not locating a single 05-S Quarter, I have stockpiled 5 of them. The first was a raw AU followed by a PC-53 then an NGC-53, then a PC-40 and finally an NGC-58 (recent Heritage Auction) .. Love them all

I especially love seeing nice coins in NGC or ANACS holders knowing it eliminates many people from even considering to place a bid
    imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Hi Mike,

i agree - I didn't like Harry's 45 either

I was listing the 1897-O Halves in XF or AU I have personally seen in 3-4 years .. and I was including my 1897-O Half in XF40 as one of the 3 or 4 coins I have seen in 4 years:

The XF40 coin Arnie currently has for sale - which I think looks nice
    The HLRC 45 which was consigned to Heritage - I also didn't like that coin
    The Heritage NGC58 which someone bought, crossed to PC-55 and sold to a fellow collector recently
    And my former ANACS XF40 which crossed to PC-40 last summer

I believe those are the only 4 1897-O Halves I have seen for sale in 3-4 years in an XF or AU grade - any grading service. My coin is not images anywhere here or is not connected with any of the aforementioned pieces.
    imageimage
    Arnie also listed an 04-S in 45 that lasted about 10 minutes.

<< <i>Arnie also listed an 04-S in 45 that lasted about 10 minutes. >>

Out of curiosity how much did he want for the 45? I have not seen it and there is a 12 hour lag to see it in archives unless you access by item number

I am going to guess ... $3850?
    imageimage

<< <i>

<< <i>Arnie also listed an 04-S in 45 that lasted about 10 minutes. >>

Out of curiosity how much did he want for the 45? I have not seen it and there is a 12 hour lag to see it in archives unless you access by item number

I am going to guess ... $3850? >>

I know who bought it...didn't ask what he paid...he was asking $4350.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Right Mike ... I left out the two XF's from Aug of 11 ... good memory! Walt offered his old 45 to me - I thought it was decent ... Frankly I thought it was a 40 .. I let her go by plus it was hardly much of an upgrade to my current 40 .. I would gladly take it as a dupe if I was flushed and the coin sung out to me .. Neither applied however

I was really referencing XF or AU coins in my count .. If I tried to keep track of all the grades I would be in a mental asylum. I'm content with my 40 .. If /when an opportunity knocks, hopefully I am ready, willing and able
    imageimage

<< <i>Scott, you forgot these two 1897-O's, my AU 55 - sold in Chicago on 8-11-2011
    and the VF 30 I purchased last year while building yet another collection.

Walt Kennedy's XF 45 was one of the nicest circ's I had seen in some time
    other than my 55, but he ended up selling it to a certain dealer from Villa Rica. image

The right XF 40-45 will come along and I have the impression that Manorcourtman
    will have his eyes on the prize when it's available ! His Avatar is a Hawk... He does
    have Hawk's eyes !! >>

image I would wager it is the best 45 out there! image
  • Darrell- You're such a tease. I think I'm actually more thrilled about the 09-o in AU55 that I snagged for a BIN of $625. The scan looked terrible, but I remain hopeful.

<< <i>Darrell- You're such a tease. I think I'm actually more thrilled about the 09-o in AU55 that I snagged for a BIN of $625. The scan looked terrible, but I remain hopeful. >>

Me Tease? image You haven't gotten it yet? Hope you are surprised...I was like...well I won't say it! Major rip if it is nice!

Edit to add...David looked at my 53 and liked it better than the 55 he sold for $1200!
    So did anyone here jump on 1 of the 3 1900-S Half's in AU58 that sold last week?

The prices realized may or may not support Scott's theory of 58's being overpriced! My 1st observation was what kindda idiot would put up their coin against 2 others in this market? Bad call on heritage listing 2 in the same auction followed by 1 on teletrade. The pop is 11 so it isn't common. The last one sold for $2800 or so..don't remember the exact number. The 1st 1 sold on heritage for $1600+,the next for a bump down,and the teletrade for less. Sorry..too lazy to look up the exact numbers! image I would wager if the 3 coins had been spaced a month apart the prices realized would have been a bit more!

So...my question for the members here is this....Did 3 people get a bargain or are the true values coming out?
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My first auction win ever on Heritage! I am super excited about this one!

image >>

I'm a fan. That thing is cool. Congrats. You should get a green bean on that thing for sure!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Darrell- The 09-o is stuck at a PO in Montana for the last 5 days. It was sent registered so I'm sure it will take longer to get here...You know where I stand on 58's. In this case, there are 78 other examples of AU in the 00-s with 24 of those being a 55. I'll take the 55 and have money left for another coin.image The last one at teletrade went for $1145 after the juice and I don't think that was a bargain.
    I agree Larry ... I would have preferred to buy an MS62 for $881 (Sep 2012 Heritage) if the opportunity comes again .. With not too many examples in recent archives and all these recent pieces in new holders, it seems to me many coins are being sent in for grading that had been raw for a long time.... Increasing supply
    Just my vantage point
    imageimage
    There does seem to be some support for 58's when you look at the pop reports. The only coin in 58 that doesn't make since is the 05-O! Here are some random examples of the populations of some better dates. Most common dates have MS pops in the 100's and 58 pops of 30+.

AU-58 - MS all grades
    1892-O 38 - 133
    1892-S 27 - 107
    1896-O 2 - 20
    1897-O 4 - 46
    1898-O 8 - 55
    1900-S 12 - 58
    1905-O 14 - 106
    1909-O 6 - 52
    1913 15 - 74
    1914 12 - 113
    1915 9 - 80

I personally think the timing was just off for the 00-S. I am wondering how long it will be before another 58 becomes available. The teletrade 00-S was a recent submission.The 1905-O is the stand out in the crowd as everyone knows what some are willing to pay for a nice AU. I see the pressure on 58's in most dates except the 1905-O! This of course also has alot to do with how accurate the population reports are.

Edit to add some other dates which bring high prices relative to the POP Reports.
    I see no credibility in a report showing one grade (58) vs. all MS grades (6,7 or 8 grades) .. It's no shocker the total MS pop in every grade is higher than a single selected grade (58) .. How about 58 vs. 62 or 63 only .. Or ALL AU grades vs. ALL MS grades would be a better comparison.

The only relevance being the "AU64" argument - those AU58 coins that look like MS63/64 coins .. The counter to that is that only a small percentage of coins graded AU58 qualify.

You could also find the coins graded MS62 or 63 that have booming luster and great eye appeal (look under graded) ...

It really only comes down to the registry. The AU 55/58 coins are top end every man candidates where as the MS62/63/64 coins are middle of the road coins for standard registries and unusable for every man registries and thus not as "desirable" for those pursuing a top end registry set and do not qualify for every man sets. They become attractive and desirable for people collecting for other reasons as they are very attractive coins that are now "priced right" making them "doubly attractive"
    imageimage
    Scott,I tend to disagree. The majority of the MS grades are in the 63-65 range. There certainly is pressure on better date 58's for those putting together a better grade set. I don't disagree that there is pressure from the everyman sets. My point was look at the 58 pops of say 92-O,92-s, etc. They consistantly sell at levels the 00-s sold for and are way more common. Then you look at 13-15...and they consistantly sell for way more than the 00-s's brought,yet are in the same pop range in 58 and more have been graded MS!

Go take a look at the pop report. The big question is....Are there that many of the so called overlooked dates that have not been graded? There have to be some...but I don't think you will see a deluge being graded any time soon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file