Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, um, I finally got a 97-o half in AU......

Barbers Rule. >>

We need pics! Unicorns don't come around here too often.

<< <i>To fix this problem, let the forum moderator lock down the barber mega thread 2, and well all start a new #3 >>

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

There is no problem with this Thread ... Only a disagreement between two ( or possibly more )
    participants. You don't need to close the thread down - just go ahead and start another thread
    as I did when the 1st Thread stopped functioning correctly and freezing up all the time.

Do what the majority feels is the best thing to do. I'll be happy to link the 3rd Thread inside
    the opening post on the 2nd Thread if that helps.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Well, um, I finally got a 97-o half in AU......

Barbers Rule. >>

We need pics! Unicorns don't come around here too often.

<< <i>To fix this problem, let the forum moderator lock down the barber mega thread 2, and well all start a new #3 >>

image >>

I pulled my best pic attempt of my beloved PC45 09-o quarter off the thread recently a day after I posted cus it looked like cat-butt. I'm just no good at it. My wife has a sweet camera that I swear I'll learn to use soon.

Re the other thing, the first mega thread got mothballed on account of technical jankiness and we were all calling it B*#!%. This one will last another two years under normal load usage and there is a lot of valuable input from some great collectors on it that should bear no penalty for recent events.
    That said, I'll sign onto this if Vern agrees to post his album of Barber Quarters no later than page 2 on a new thread.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.

<< <i>There is no problem with this Thread ... Only a disagreement between two ( or possibly more )
    participants. You don't need to close the thread down - just go ahead and start another thread
    as I did when the 1st Thread stopped functioning correctly and freezing up all the time.

Do what the majority feels is the best thing to do. I'll be happy to link the 3rd Thread inside
    the opening post on the 2nd Thread if that helps. >>

I think what jdimmick was hinting to was since you said you wouldn't post in the Part Two thread anymore, start a third. Then you can post in it again. At least that's how I read it.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's exactly what I meant, Even though I am not a big barber guy, I do have a few and do like to read the commentary and view the coins posted to this thread and also have a lot of respect for those that post here. Its a good thread because of all the people who post here, don't want to loose any.
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    I am in the camp of those who think a mole hill was converted to a volcano .. I think no ill will or malcontent was intended and it is unfortunate misunderstandings and other unpleasantries ensued. I think the general consensus is there was no malicious intent and apologies have been made. I propose it be time to move forward and let it go
    imageimage
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    How about a little relief from the current topic with an image.

Have a nice evening.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am in the camp of those who think a mole hill was converted to a volcano .. I think no ill will or malcontent was intended and it is unfortunate misunderstandings and other unpleasantries ensued. I think the general consensus is there was no malicious intent and apologies have been made. I propose it be time to move forward and let it go >>

I wonder why I don't post here anymore! image
    Very nice quarter, Labelman!
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    I am very saddened to hear of the recent disagreements which have taken place resulting in some hurt feelings and actions taken. Plus the loss of information and photos along the way. Maybe we can all come out of this in a positive, learning way. That being, what one posts in a public thread should be done thoughtfully, in a positive manner, and not in a self promoting sort of way. One of the reasons I post less is I would rather err on the side of not coming across as promoting myself as a dealer then to be felt as spamming and promoting myself and business.

In a PM its ok to be a bit more frank but still PM's should be done with respect and thoughtfulness. I have always strived to try and be respectful in all correspondence, both in posts and direct messages. Unfortunately, anyone that has studied communications knows that just typing out sentences from one to another is actually a poor means of communicating. One does not hear the voice inflections, or see the body language of the other individual communicating. In classes on the subject they teach that written communication is only about 10% of the total communication process, with the other 90% being body language and voice inflection.

So if there is a positive out of this maybe it is we all do our best to be positive and respectful towards one another and be careful when just communicating in the way we do here.

Lenny glad to see you are back, and I hope Mike will post more again as he gets some time off from the boards. Your all good folks! image
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dennis - Outstanding on the 97-O half, I look forward to pics upon mastery of the Wife's camera.

Craig - I'm all for relief, nice 93.

Pics for tonight, another beauty, new to the Stash, PC30:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    MFH,

Sorry to see you not posting. Hope that end's up being temporary. On the good side, while you aren't posting, it gives you more time to buy more Barbers and other coins.

Hope to see you back here some time.
    Dr. Pete
    Pics for tonight, the year 1900 from my raw set. I don't think I've posted these before:

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage
    Vern
    l
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    Wow it's been awhile. My summer love of Bass fishing takes me away from coins, just a tad.
    I still lurk, and I'm bummed to see the turn of events that went on.
    Not much on the coin front. I got my CC order in. I sent in 8 for Reconsideration.
    2 upgraded. All MS coins were MS62.

Order #20732053 / Submission #5629048
    Line # Item # Cert # PCGS No. CoinDate Denomination Variety Country Grade
    1 1 03204205 7092 1879-S $1 USA MS64
    2 1 03461895 5607 1894 25C USA MS62
    3 1 26104360 5624 1899-S 25C USA AU53
    4 1 10638425 5631 1902 25C USA MS63
    5 1 15725804 5642 1906 25C USA MS62
    6 1 10635007 5650 1908-D 25C USA MS63
    7 1 10635019 5662 1912 25C USA MS62
    8 1 10638371 5668 1914-D 25C USA MS62
    I just picked this up from DK. PC62
    imageimage
  • JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Thats a great looking '96 KAJ. I have to say that from DK's pics the coin looks very, very nice for a 62. Although I focus primarily on XF and AU quarters, Id like to learn more about spotting the differences between a 62 and a 63. I certainly would've guessed 63 on that quarter. Are those smudges in the fields on the obverse side what keeps it back? Only thing I can guess.....Congrats on a sweet pick up!

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

The market changes quickly ..

Almost 2 years ago, we were discussing the 1897-S Half in PCGS AU58 (pop 1 at the time; pop 2 now) that sold for $15k.

An MS65 example didn't sell at opening bid of $4800 in the recent Heritage weekly auction. I am not a fan of the toning and although impossible to judge luster and grade from a photo, it would appear it is a borderline 65 at best - appears to have a couple too many abrasions that do not look like they are on the holder. .. probably one of the reasons it did not sell.
    imageimage
    Kevin - Good to see you back, and what a great 1896. Tremendous strike.

Vern
    l
    Scott - Those changes are just one of the many things that make this such an exciting hobby. Thanks again for the headsup on the 02-S.

Pics for tonight, recent addition to the Stash, PC30:

Vern
    l
    The original barber mega-thread, great info starting November, 2006

Original mega-thread
    Vern
    l
    I like the 'stash' Half dollars! image

KAJ, I really like that '96. It has some nice die cracks on the reverse. One question though. I am really not an MS guy, so can someone explain why that coin is only in a 62 holder? If a Morgan had those same surfaces, I swear it would be in a 65 holder. Are Barbers in MS graded a bit more conservatively? I mean I can se some light marks, but for a 62, I would think you would see a nice hit on the cheek or something.

A lot comes down to how lustrous it is and original toning and original surfaces when grading MS Barbers ..
    Morgans with original surfaces and full luster survived by the thousands which is why you see so many 63-65
    imageimage

<< <i>A lot comes down to how lustrous it is and original toning and original surfaces when grading MS Barbers ..
    Morgans with original surfaces and full luster survived by the thousands which is why you see so many 63-65 >>

I understand that Morgans survived, but what gets me, if that same coin that KAJ posted was a Morgan it would be in a higher holder IMO. I agree with the luster aspect, and by DK's pics, I'd say the luster looks pretty nice. But again, I'm basing it off of a photo. I haven't looked at many Barbers in MS, so this is definitely a steep learning curve for me.
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back, Kevin! I'd love to talk bass fishing some day.

Justin, I'd say the 96 quarter graded low because of some surface ticks on the cheek and maybe what looks like a discoloration or break in luster under right wing. If it were a Morgan, it would be a 64-65. I'd say that is because Morgan's are plagued with bag marks that don't affect other mint state coins to the same extent. Minor surface flaws are probably tolerated if the coin isn't bagged up. That's my guess.

Another factor in grading is the business of it. That 96 quarter might 63 on a reconsideration. More submissions : more business. Scott can talk about that later!

Paesan

PS Justin, Glad you like those halves!
    More coins, less government.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the 'stash' Half dollars! image

KAJ, I really like that '96. It has some nice die cracks on the reverse. One question though. I am really not an MS guy, so can someone explain why that coin is only in a 62 holder? If a Morgan had those same surfaces, I swear it would be in a 65 holder. Are Barbers in MS graded a bit more conservatively? I mean I can se some light marks, but for a 62, I would think you would see a nice hit on the cheek or something. >>

The 1896 quarter appears to have hairlines running across the cheek and diagonally down the neck. This can kill an MS grade.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

I think the grading services allow more marks on bigger coins than they do on smaller coins. Regardless, the '96 is a very nice, eye appealing coin.

Pics for today, from the Iowa collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
    Pics for tonight, the year 1902 from my raw set:

imageimage

imageimage
    Vern
    l
    Thanks for all the explanations, everyone.

Vern, nice 1902 set.
    Pics for this AM, a newp that just crossed in Scott's collection, PC58. He's cornering the market of 02-S's in 58.

Vern
    l
    Very sweet 02-S!
  • mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    I bought this little beauty last night. Xomments are welcome!!imageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    Hi Mark, from these pix, the details are very nice, but surfaces don't look original to me. I'm not sure if you're looking for coins to submit for a registry set or a raw album collection or otherwise. The 1893 is pretty common, but be careful purchasing semi-key and key dates raw, especially if you are just learning the series. Even the slabbed ones often have issues. Maybe someone out there will disagree and I'm surely not an expert. Good coin to discuss! Thanks for sharing it with us...

Paesan
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for contributing to the thread, but the 1893 Quarter has been cleaned. I agree with the above comments, fortunately, this wasn't a semi key or key date piece

JIm
    Paesan- Ty for your wisdom
    Jim - Ty also buddy
    and yes I am attempting a registry set but as u know it will be a while Lol I also need to get a book to learn more about the series so if anyone has idea on which book to obtain I would be thankful for the info. im just starting the series as a few of u know and have alot to learn
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    Mark - The best (and pretty much only) book on barber quarters is available on-line and free, from David Lawrence Rare Coins. I've attached the link.

David Lawrence Book on Barber Quarters
    Vern
    l
    Pics for tonight, newp from 200 miles west, PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Nice 16 quarter Vern and a lot tougher to find in AU than most people think.
    That 16 quarter looks pretty good, but not as good as those Miami Dolphins with 2 road wins to open the season!

Paesan
    Joe - I agree.

Paesan - Road wins are good, but my Chiefs have already matched last year's victory total. Dreaming but it'd be nice to catch the Dolphins in the playoffs. But in the real sport, NHL camp has opened.

Pics for tonight, recent acquisition in the Stash, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern

That '08 S is a beauty
    Frank

BHNC #203

Hi Joe, I too had a hard time finding a nice 1916 Philly.

Paesan

Who are the Chiefs?
    Nice 16 Philly quarter there.

I miss MFH not posting. Anyone have any ideas to lure him back?

I'm still a Chiefs fan. I was living in KC and about 10 years-old when Len Dawson led them to a Superbowl victory way back in Jan 1970. That was a great time to collect football cards for me. Unfortunately, I didn't save the cards, and the Chiefs haven't been back to a Superbowl since 1970. They had some really classic tough playoff games with the Dolphins back in the day. I live in Michigan now and it is real hard to be a Lions fan. Especially after the 0-16 season.
    Dr. Pete
    Barberkeys,

Like the 08-S quarter. Is there anything unusual about the S mintmark? It looks funny to me, but a little too indistinct to make out.
    Dr. Pete
    Dr Pete - I don't recall anything unusual. This 08-S belongs to Paesan, perhaps he can take a look.

Pics for this AM, a newp into the Iowa collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
    My attempt at better pics of the 1905 Au53 Ngc imageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    There has been many a discussion regarding over and under rated coins. Just wanted to add a footnote specifically with regards to the 1904-0 quarter in AU or MS. I fully agree it to be over rated. I declare it to be very tough finding an eye appealing original one however.

I have now owned or held in my possession 2 in XF and 3 in PC-AU55 (one of which was an NGC-55 that somehow crossed to PC. It is so white as to look unnatural). All have been cleaned (I don't care if they were slabbed; they were cleaned IMO. As the owner/caretaker, it is my opinion that matters most). Most recently a couple weeks back a site unseen 55 from a local national dealer ... I very much disagreed with the description of it being fully original but I also fully respect the dealer as they are legendary not just in Barbers but all US coinage. Regardless, it was not for me. I seldom return coins, but as a rather expensive piece and one I'd garner no enjoyment of ownership in. I also have yet to see a nice original piece in MS.
    Someone please post an original one to show me they exist nice
    imageimage
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like some nice color on that 05P quarter, mrkbrown87!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    The images aren't very good but the coin is a legit, PCGS 58, uncleaned. I had it CAC'd.

Craig always comes through with a prime example when we need it!

Paesan
    Mark - New pics show '05 much better, good looking coin.

Scott - Agree that uncleaned 04-O qtrs in 55-58 are tough.

Craig - Good looking 04-O.

Pics for tonight, 04-O from the Iowa collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
    Pure Beauty!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file