Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it too, but I wouldn't bet on its originality. Personally, if a VF coin has nice surfaces, I can overlook a retoning. I think it's got pizazz.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Just got a very nice phone call.... My 1896-O Half Dollar which was NGC AU55 (and then raw after it wouldn't cross) ... has been graded as AU58 by PCGS ... Pop 2 in AU58 (now 3) .. this is one of the toughest coins in the series in AU .. pictures were posted previously I believe but here are my (crummy) images from it's old housing .. I have to admit I was leery about cracking it out but knowing how "the game" works .. and knowing they are far more likely to issue a higher grade to a raw coin vs. a crossover, I decided to take a shot ...
    The initial attempt was back at the ANA show where it was tried as a crossover and failed. In September I tried to grade it raw through Dave and it came back "cleaned" .. so for about a month i was left with a raw coin and the situation was not looking too good.... This coin resembles another coin almost exactly I have currently which is in a PCGS Secure holder graded AU58 (1892-S 50c) .. and finally perseverance has been rewarded. No balls no blue chips

I have to say I think they over graded the coin as I grade it a solid 53, maybe 55. But not 58. But, I am not the expert so I defer ... image

The coin will be in my physical possession on Friday as it is being sent Express Mail ... Big thank you to Dave Kahn for helping me on getting this one graded :

imageimage
    imageimage
  • JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the crossover and the upgrade. That is a very nice looking and extremely tough coin. image

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a great story on that 1896 O
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Scott- Glad you were able to get it graded. I'm with you as I believe that it was a solid 55.
    Here is another recent newp courtesy of one of our forum members ... this was one of his "rejects" .. I can hardly believe the coin he kept being much nicer than this.... These pix hardly tell the true story. The surfaces are absolutely perfect. The coin is completely virgin. The luster and eye appeal are amazing.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang Scott! What a hit! Congradulations!
  • Scott way to go that is awesome. The 96o has no equals in 58 in my opinion the top dog. Great story nothing better than taking a risk wihen the pay off is big. This coin would hammer in the 8 -10 k range at ha - not sure if u did a 3x 4x or a 5x but u did dam'n good! Very interesting looking coin - I like it! Walt

• JT - another neat looking tougher date mid range - cool coin ! if you are happy with the coin that is all that matters!
    Thanks guys for the feedback, re the 02o. If the obverse and center of the reverse were brighter or whiter I would most definitely have thought cleaned on a VF coin. I just hadn't seen colors like that develop on a coin with otherwise deeper gray colors and no obvious hairlines. I will read up on the topic.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Attaboy, Scottie!
    More coins, less government.
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott - Congrats on the 96-O. Consistency is in their middle name. Also, nice 1911 qtr.

JT - Nice pickup on the tough 06-O. My opinion is heavy album toning on your 02-O.

Pics to tonight, another newp from Balt, rattler PC62:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    Scott- all I can say is WOW! Amazing 96-O

Jt- as always more nice quarters, especially love the 02-O.

Vern- beautiful 07-D quite the interesting piece. I love the clash on the obverse I want a clashed quarter and I'm currently not having anyou luck.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    Thanks to all members for all the feedback .. such passion in these boards

JT - I nickname you Hoover for all the quarters you have been vacuuming up.

Mark- your passion is clearly 2nd to none .. persistence and perseverance pays off

Vern- that 07-D quarter defines originality in my book. Pristine and the perfect color and overall look. Yummy.

Walt - how about showing us the other seated quarter - the VF30 (1871CC?) .. I doubt anyone would object
    imageimage
    I'm on board to see the 1871cc Seaten Quarter
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    Pics for tonight, last newp from Balt, raw 07-S. Do you like it better than the one in my raw set (2nd pic)?

imageimage

imageimage
    Vern
    l
    I see I need to re shoot the 2nd one. It was in a slab.
    Vern
    l
    they are both so original and nice I can't Choose both look like great coins to me.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    Vern - Both 07s' are very nice indeed, and I like them both a lot as well. In particular I really like the original color on both. Most definitely a tough coin to find in purely original condition at this level of detail. If you held a gun to my head I might choose the raw one. Seems like the headband lines are sharper (especially the lower one). I have a few Barber quarters in PC XF-40 holders with more wear to the details in the headband and forehead areas. Superb coin and awesome pick up.

Scott - I'll take it. Hopefully we are talking Hoover as in Dustin Pedroia at second base and not J Edgar Hoover.

Here is one of the two coins I picked up in Baltimore that made nice additions to my LOC quarter album. Another date that has been discussed here of late. I really like this one, and of course I thought of the discussion of this date that ensued after Vern posted his beautiful recent newp in a PC holder. I grade this one XF45:

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

JT - Great pickup on the 1916.

Pics for this AM, beauty newp to the Stash, PC58:

Vern
    l
    Vern-I'm super duper jealous!!I've only found one AU 04-O and it was a NGC 53 on Ebay. Not a solid coin tho. It looked cleaned. But yours is Amazing
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭
    My first Barber quarter. Purchased from Mark on the BST board.

Dillon- Welcome to the Mega Thread Part 2. U will love it here. And Wow those pics really show that coins color. That was my very 1st Barber Quarter as well
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    I like it!image

• PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Vern, I like both 07-S's. Great coin that 96-O half Sam and good patience. Often have to send one in more then once. And that coin doesn't really matter in my view if its a 55 or a 58. It's a great coin whatever the holder calls it. image

JKT, while the 02-O is secondary toning and probably had an old cleaning, the eye appeal is pretty good and I think you did just fine. Not saying that would be for everybody but as long as it wasn't hairlined and you enjoy the secondary album toning then its all good! Not to mention thats not the easiest date to find out there.

Just got back from a smaller show in the bay area last night that went very well. Now I have to get the camera warmed up and get to work. Boy the work behind the scenes takes up a ton of time. image have a great rest of the weekend everyone.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
    Cy - Welcome to the barber mega-thread. Nice coin to start, hope to see more as time goes on.

Mark - The 04-O half belongs to Paesan (he has the "Stash"), and is about as good as an 04-O can get.

Glenn - Look forward to checking out those newps on your site.

Pics for today, recent acquisition by Scott (SAM), PC58, that looks Unc to me:

Vern
    l
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    I peeked at the Heritage auction lots from Newman (on-line and catalog), and was curious about the Barber halves. All were NGC certified, and one that caught my eye was the 08-D in 66+. My set already has an 08-D in 66+ (a white coin certified by PCGS). Given my passion for history and pedigrees, I thought it would be interesting to own an example pedigreed to Newman. I did not view any of the coins in person, did not have a representative look, and did not bid. I saw the 08-D went for nearly $10K with the buyer's premium, an amount I thought very high for a common date, in the lofty grade of MS 66+. That price looks to me like two or more people were chasing it for some reason; perhaps someone thought it a shot 67?

Did anyone out there view any of the Barber material that was in the Newman auction? Would love to know about the overall quality. I have read some other threads and show reports that indicate there were some real gems mixed in with coins that weren't that nice. Thanks.
    Dr. Pete
    Vern/Scott - Amazing 95o half. Judging from the pics it is hard to understand how that coin found its way into a 58 holder. Awesome coin.

I was not at lot viewing, but certainly share Dr. Pete's interest in a Barber assessment from anyone who was. I am particularly curious about the 08o quarter in the NGC58 holder that hammered for over 500 bucks. Had some eye catching toning but I found it difficult (as usual) to get a true sense from the pictures.

Here is a newp from DK that arrived in the mail today. I have found this to be tough to find in XF/AU with a nice original look like this one has. PC45

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

I also wondered about the thing 1907-O Quarter. I haven't looked but it was at over 280 I think the last time I looked.

Scott-Vern. Sweet 95-0. Looks Au55 to me
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    Jkt- nice 93-sI also have found that date a little tougher to find in a problem free Xf 40 -Au58. Seen a few examples but most had problems.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Scott, great 95-O. Has a nice strike too. Hard to see any luster breaks in those photos.

Very nice 93-S, JKT. I'd like to find a half like that one.
    Good to see you Justin - hope all is well .. yes, that 95-O half is quite nice. I also think it would grade 62 another day. there is no luster break .. maybe a miniscule tick or mark in the field that they considered to have happened post-mint image

There is yet another story behind that acquisition but let's just say I was in the right place at the right time. The person selling it had no idea what he was selling. Usually it's the other way around, I have no idea what I am buying.. I usually find out years later when I go to resell image

Nice quarter JT - I saw it on Dave's site myself
    imageimage
  • CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to figure out what is going on with Liberty's head on this one. Cud? Seagull flying over?

Brain Tumor?
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    JT - Great looking 93-S

Cy - Neat cud.

Mark - Brain tumor, I love it.
    Vern
    l
    Great addition to JMW's great dime collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    95-O WOW!
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern,

was that the AU coin (95-o) from the recent heritage sale.
    Jim - I believe so.
    Vern
    l
    That is one sweet looking dime! And a tough one too. Great coin!

FWIW my mornings are always made just a little bit better when I can pop open the computer and there's a new picture from Barberkeys waiting for me in the Mega Thread. Thanks for always being so active in sharing such nice Barbers from your collection as well as others, Vern.

Jkt-+1
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New 93-S 50c from Tom Bush.

Boosibri- Very Sweet Looking 93-S.. I love the natural wear on Barbers.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    Boos - Great looking 93-S half.

Pics for this AM, from the SAM collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
    Neat looking half dollar. I like it. What produces the parallel lines running down the obverse side? Thoughts Vern or Scott (or anyone else)?

John- Regarding the 92-O Half, the way I see those two toning (or lack of toning more appropriately perhaps) lines getting there was something resting on the obverse in that exact spot untouched for quite some time. Perhaps a paperclip or something similar remained in that exact spot for some time resulting in the toning developing around it. That coin is weakly struck and is somewhat lackluster (relative to the droves of brilliant or bright AU58 coins one sees), although it appears to have mostly if not entirely original surfaces and is quite attractive in hand.
    imageimage
    Thanks for the very good explanation Scott. Now that you've mentioned it, you can almost see the paper clip outline exactly. FWIW I really like the color and the originality of the coin. Very cool!

Scott - A paperclip makes sense.

Pics for tonight, a lustrous newp from Scott's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of nice coins pictured since I last posted!

The 93-S 1/2 is the king of the original toning collectors! I would buy it for the grade understanding it was given a notch up for it's originality!

Scott! That mustta been 1 of those big paperclips...but I agree with your thoughts. You just keep coming up with alot of nice coins!

Well! I did the dirty and got my results back from my reconsideration submission. Dang Vern...they wouldn't upgrade the 96-S. I guess they just don't like the original champagne toning. I had 13 coins from my collection reconsidered and got 3 upgraded. The 04-S and 15 made them worth while. My 11-D also upgraded. I was disappointed a few others didn't and had an ex barberite tell me today if I resubmitted my best date(97-O) 3 or 4 times it would! I kindda feel like if you use the reconsideration service once the axe has fallen!
    Scott - Nice 93 quarter. I like the rim toning.

Darrell - I have never submitted anything for reconsideration/upgade, and I don't claim to know anything about what would constitute a "successful" submission from a batting average standpoint, but 3/13 seems pretty decent to me (?) Sorry that the 97o didn't get the result you were after (this time).

I decided for various reasons to submit a fairly large batch of coins from my Library of Coins quarter album (12 in total) to our hosts at the Baltimore show. I was sad to "let them go" from the album, but I anticipate being able to add a few of them to my registry set and a few others will be sold or traded to help fund some very tough dates I hope to be able to acquire in the future . I decided for obvious reasons that these coins would be better off in PCGS plastic. It wasn't the first time I had submitted a coin from the album, but it was the first time so many came out all at once. Anyways, the LOC album remains enjoyable for me but it now currently houses just 19 coins, all VF or XF. The Fs have been or will be sold and the AU's were all submitted. It will probably be pretty slow goings for a while, but here is the newest pickup from Baltimore. I graded it XF40 when I bought it but I now say VF35 (lower headband line is broken). Regardless, it will reside comfortably where it is for a long time to come….

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

edited for spelling

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file