Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"OFFICIAL" 75th Anniversary "S" ASE Set Final Sales Prediction

123457»

Comments

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like the 2012-S proof will be a home run! The 1994 in PR69 is selling at $110 (372,000 minted), give or take $20, so the 2012-S in 1st Strike should stay above $150. >>

The supply of 2012-S proofs will be less than the supply of 1994-P, but the demand will also be lower. Many collectors buy only the regular one-per-year proofs, bypassing special issues such as the 1995-W and the reverse proofs. So the price of the 2012-S may not settle out as high as its scarcity would indicate.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    3sidesofsilver3sidesofsilver Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    I was responsible for 2 of the 564 ordered yesterday. FWIW, I placed the order at 12:45 ET, and the Mint web site was so fast that it returned the order summary page seemingly before I clicked the button. No competition made it easy.

My century post...and it only took 6 years.
    --Craig
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was responsible for 2 of the 564 ordered yesterday. >>

Was this your first and only order for the "S" set?
    Any reason you waited till the last day?

• Options
    3sidesofsilver3sidesofsilver Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    First and only order. I was on the fence - if half a mil were sold, I could buy one or two at issue price or less on the aftermarket. When I saw the 245,131 counter on the 4th, with a possible mintage equal to the 2006 set, I made the decision to buy now. Aftermarket will likely be an equal or higher price, IMO.
    --Craig
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>First and only order. I was on the fence - >>

Good move....
  • Options
    I didn't purchase, but it still is probably a decent deal for those that have. I think it will pull the price of the other 2 RP sets.

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Considering the fact that 251,000 reflects "orders placed," and nothing else, I could see the final number being 5-10% less >>

I agree completely. I believe this set will come in less than the 2006 20th anniversary sets, assuming the current number holds firm and there arent any more surprises into next week.

I think 240-245k; remember if any payments fail and you cant be reached, order cancelled!!!! That alone has to amount for 3%-5% of orders, how about another 3%-5% for cancellations?
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like the 2012-S proof will be a home run! The 1994 in PR69 is selling at $110 (372,000 minted), give or take $20, so the 2012-S in 1st Strike should stay above $150. >>

The supply of 2012-S proofs will be less than the supply of 1994-P, but the demand will also be lower. Many collectors buy only the regular one-per-year proofs, bypassing special issues such as the 1995-W and the reverse proofs. So the price of the 2012-S may not settle out as high as its scarcity would indicate. >>

This will be the the 2nd time we've had two different regular proofs in the same year (1995 & 2012).
  • Options
    I called several people today that work at the Mint to ask what they thought about the 251,000 number. Everyone said that was it less bad orders. I asked about orders post marked yesterday if they would be accepted if they showed up next week. I was told they would check on what the policy is going to be and if I called back on Monday they would have an answer. So the long and short is these are going to be descent coins.

Best Wishes,

Eric

PS: I agree with 7/8 that a sub 250,000 final audited number as of Sept 29th will show up.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I called several people today that work at the Mint to ask what they thought about the 251,000 number. Everyone said that was it less bad orders. I asked about orders post marked yesterday if they would be accepted if they showed up next week. I was told they would check on what the policy is going to be and if I called back on Monday they would have an answer. So the long and short is these are going to be descent coins.

Best Wishes,

Eric

PS: I agree with 7/8 that a sub 250,000 final audited number as of Sept 29th will show up. >>

Sounds great! Thanks for the update.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Yes, thanks Eric. I will appreciate your update on Monday.

• Options
    All this sounds great about a sub 250K mintage, but it depends on how many other events the mint decides to celebrate with a reverse proof.

If there end up being 3 to 5 more minted in the next 10 years or it turns into an annual offering, 250K may not seem like such a low mintage.

I believe they will intially sell for a small premium (up to $225 or so) and fall back to issue when the next RP is released.
  • Options

<< <i>All this sounds great about a sub 250K mintage, but it depends on how many other events the mint decides to celebrate with a reverse proof.

If there end up being 3 to 5 more minted in the next 10 years or it turns into an annual offering, 250K may not seem like such a low mintage.

I believe they will intially sell for a small premium (up to $225 or so) and fall back to issue when the next RP is released. >>

If every purchase I made was prefaced by the worry about what was going to happen years from now I would have MUCH more cash in my banking account. If the issue seems right and I feel like it has potential in TODAY'S market then I buy it....

Since I cannot predict the future I don't lose too much sleep over it....and...if the Mint releases another RP it will make all of them more collectable as a series rather than an oddity....and if it's an "order for a month" deal like this then numbers will be way out there....
  • Options

<< <i>
    If every purchase I made was prefaced by the worry about what was going to happen years from now I would have MUCH more cash in my banking account. If the issue seems right and I feel like it has potential in TODAY'S market then I buy it....

Since I cannot predict the future I don't lose too much sleep over it....and...if the Mint releases another RP it will make all of them more collectable as a series rather than an oddity....and if it's an "order for a month" deal like this then numbers will be way out there.... >>

Yes, but by your comments you appear to be more collector oriented. My comments focus more on people that think it's going to be the next big money item (more investors / flippers).
  • Options
    I usually buy more than 10 of what I think will be a good collectable...With this set I only got 8 from the Mint but made up for it with the $229 70's from MCM

25th Annie's I am up to 18 sets ...15 from the Mint (11-70 sets total)

My best whack was getting 18 08/07's from the Mint and getting MANY 70's out of them.....unfortunately I sold almost all of them last year...I did very well but I miss them

If that's a collector then that's me image
  • Options

<< <i>made up for it with the $229 70's from MCM >>

Im a sucker too and bought at 229. I'll also buy the PCGS 70 when he has them available.
  • Options
    The earlier reverse proofs are slipping in raw and 69, with the 2006-P below $200 and the 2011-P below $250. This will likely keep a lid on the price of the 2012-S reverse proof, which will come in over twice the mintage of the 2011-P.

• Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Im a sucker too and bought at 229. I'll also buy the PCGS 70 when he has them available. >>

Ummm.... I think I was the sucker selling at that price (I don't really feel that way). The upside is for once I have virtually no fear of the few that come back later screaming when prices for new items decline. In the end if it is a great bargain for the customer that is a good thing. The bad news is I am not going to offer the PCGS coins until others step up to the plate first, so far no one has.....

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Im a sucker too and bought at 229. I'll also buy the PCGS 70 when he has them available. >>

Ummm.... I think I was the sucker selling at that price (I don't really feel that way). The upside is for once I have virtually no fear of the few that come back later screaming when prices for new items decline. In the end if it is a great bargain for the customer that is a good thing. The bad news is I am not going to offer the PCGS coins until others step up to the plate first, so far no one has..... >>

I'm guessing that many are waiting to see the quality of the releases to determine the volume of potential PCGS 70s

I'm surprised no one has their PCGS 69s up though. Those seem easy enough to make.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    The earlier reverse proofs are slipping in raw and 69, with the 2006-P below $200 and the 2011-P below $250. This will likely keep a lid on the price of the 2012-S reverse proof, which will come in over twice the mintage of the 2011-P.

I was watching the same coin listed twice on the bay, it was a 2011 Reverse proof that was in a NGC 69 DCAM holder with a opening bid of $200 and no bidders on it's.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    Averaging the last 26 eBay 2001-p reverse proof 69's that sold gives a price of $257. A tombstone First strike was the lowest at $207 and a NGC ER was the highest at $306. Early release,Mercanti and flags closed around $270 .
  • Options

<< <i>it was a 2011 Reverse proof that was in a NGC 69 DCAM >>

I didn't know a RP could be DCAM (from either company)....and...NGC does not use "DCAM" ...they use UC but not for RP's

I learned something this AM....
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe "RCAM" is the proper designation. "Learnin," that's what these boards are all about! image
  • Options

<< <i> The bad news is I am not going to offer the PCGS coins until others step up to the plate first >>

That cant be a line coming from the Modern Coin Superstore..........

John ----you are supposed to set the bar, not follow the others........
  • Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 781 ✭✭✭
    Food for thought. Subject: 2012 S Proof Silver Eagle Set. Comments Welcome.

Actual final sales figure maybe months away.. this will help early sales on Ebay. With the later estd. Mint shipping dates, ER/FS Grade PF70 will be in demand. My crystal ball suggests a PCGS FS 70 set will be selling North of $300-$350 per set. Many potential Flippers were discouraged because of the "Mint To Order" policy and backed away from ordering.

Low silver spot prices this summer helped dash the interest of several would-be Mint buyers. Who wants to pay $149.95 + $4.95 for $54.00 worth of silver.

There are other reasons why the early deliveries may escalate to a nice sales price. No, prices will not go ballastic but in today's economy, who should be greedy!!

What is your take about these sets now that the sets are "Sold Out"? It appears that some Professional Modern coin dealers may have underestimated this desirable Silver Eagle Proof Set.

Have a great day !! Mark.

Specialized Investments
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> The bad news is I am not going to offer the PCGS coins until others step up to the plate first >>

That cant be a line coming from the Modern Coin Superstore..........

John ----you are supposed to set the bar, not follow the others........ >>

I think he already did that on the first offerings.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭
    Are we starting to see a diluition of interest with what is now the third offering of a silver reverse proof??

Here is a sealed box of 5 ASE 25th coins that sold last PM for $3,000..................

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Sets-25th-Anniversary-Silver-Eagle-Set-Sealed-Unopened-No-Reserve-/120943125368?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item1c28c5a378
  • Options
    Just place an order for the Chaco Chulture 5 oz ATB and went to check on the counter for the "S" ASE set. No counter on the No Longer Available page for the set. "Sold Out" Eric is checking with mint friends for the word on acceptance of mail orders post marked by July 5th. But as of now there won't be any counter updates because there isn't one.
    The audited final mintage difference from the counter should reflect cancellation, returns and mail orders processed after the 5 PM 7/5 deadline, if any. When? You tell me.

• Options
    I hesitate to post this but I'll confess to being a last minute buyer of 2012-S silver set.

The reason for a last minute order??

Seemed like a cheap 3-4 month option on after market price for the set.

By the time they get close to delivering those last coins in Oct. it will be far clearer whether the set has legs.

If it does.....great.

If it doesn't..................
  • Options

<< <i>Just place an order for the Chaco Chulture 5 oz ATB and went.......................................... >>

...................................................................................................................

Maybe it is just me but the reverse on the Chaco Chulture 5 oz ATB made me think of throwing money into a hole in the ground.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just place an order for the Chaco Chulture 5 oz ATB and went.......................................... >>

...................................................................................................................

Maybe it is just me but the reverse on the Chaco Chulture 5 oz ATB made me think of throwing money into a hole in the ground. >>

I think all of us that have collected the non bullion ATB's have done just that. I just hope my kids one day find that hole.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Can we assume there will be an official mintage number in 1 years time? Or can we assume anything at all from the US Mint?
  • Options
    Hello Eric, do you have some information about these sets from your Mint sources. Maybe some idea when sets should begin shipping out; an up to date sets sales figure? Thanks, Mark.
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    One wild card may be market price influence on % of late delivery cancellations.

Those with late Oct. delivery dates will have the ability to see secondary market prices before taking delivery of coins.

If prices are flat or heaven forbid go negative then a lot of those late orders may get cancelled.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    You are right 2many, these may be sleepers in disguise.
  • Options
    In general orders with delivery dates several months out have a lower rate of completion simply because people forget to renew credit card info, spend funds elsewhere, lose interest, etc., etc.
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<You are right 2many, these may be sleepers in disguise. >>

Have no fear everyone...as these will be guaranteed hits.

I say that having only ordered 2 sets (on the first day)...down from my normal 10 or 20 sets...thereby guaranteeing profits FOR EVERYONE ELSE!!!

• Options
    My 2 cents is that a lot of folks including the pros are in guessing game mode / spin the wheel etc
    Meaning....toss the dice.

IMO…the Majority of the initial 150K sets are in strong hands…meaning folks WHO JUST wanted a set bought one or 2….
    the rest of the orders were specs jumping in WHEN the 2nd and ship date was published as
    I do not think anyone expected that chess MOVE from the US Mint.
  • Options

<< <i><<You are right 2many, these may be sleepers in disguise. >>

I say that having only ordered 2 sets (on the first day)...down from my normal 10 or 20 sets...thereby guaranteeing profits FOR EVERYONE ELSE!!! >>

I ordered none so the guarantee is double or triple image
    Currently working with nurmaler. Older transactions....circa 2011 BST transactions Gecko109, Segoja, lpinion, Agblox, oldgumballmachineswanted,pragmaticgoat, CharlieC, onlyroosies, timrutnat, ShinyThingsInPM under login lightcycler
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<You are right 2many, these may be sleepers in disguise. >>

I say that having only ordered 2 sets (on the first day)...down from my normal 10 or 20 sets...thereby guaranteeing profits FOR EVERYONE ELSE!!! >>

Did basically the same thing.....decided to hedge just a tad and ordered a box of 2 sets and then a box with just 1 set. Figure I can sell the box of 2 sets, unopened.
    Both boxes ordered within first few hours, so I should get them in the first grouping........if it tanks, I am not out much and I keep a set or two to keep our sets going. If it goes up, I win a little.

I will have to say that the way the mint is doing the SAEs, I have lost a lot of my interest, which was very strong for about 7-8 years on these. Their lack of a proof a few years ago, and the prices they are charging, with the larger than needed holders, is turning me off. I want to present the coin, not the packaging.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    The mint will take orders that come in this week and were post marked prior to the close of the program last week.
  • Options
    Thanks Eric for following through.
    It seems common sense to to accommodate customers who still use mail order for what ever reason. I myself didn't receive the mint's Summer Catalog till the last Saturday in June. Just 4 1/2 days before the deadline. Even if I was to mail an order within minutes of receiving it, it still wouldn't have begun its trip to the mint, at the earliest, on Monday morning. No mail pick up on Sundays. Four days across the nation to Philadelphia might have arrived at the nearest Post Office, but surely not processed by the deadline.
    Yes, they could have a policy to do the common sense thing, like they did. Or, the hard deadline policy of orders close at 5 PM, nothing accepted after that. Either I would accept. What was frustrating was having customer service acknowledge no policy and not knowing who would set such a policy if there was one. Really? Bureaucracy! Sheesh.
    If the mint ever has an ordering method like this again, figure they will follow common sense for mail orders. But don't chance it, order early if you have the opportunity. Or join the 21st century and give in to 800 orders or the internet.

• Options
    According to this, additional 2012-S proof silver eagles are going to be available in this new offering from the Mint.

I think putting additional regular proofs will lower the value of these coins, and by extension, the value of the two-coin set. It may also lead to order cancellations for, or returns of, the two-coin sets.

Paradoxically, (assuming that the reverse proofs are not also offered separately), the effect of two-coin-set order cancellations could be to reduce the sales total of the reverse proofs, making them slightly *more* valuable.

• Options
    Here you go:

SF proofs
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't appear to be any change in the ship dates... mine's been 7/27 from day 1... and 9/28 for my 2nd order... no 1st Strike on that one...
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options
    Any feel yet for after market prices??
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any feel yet for after market prices?? >>

eBay pre-sale auctions for the set is still averaging around $220.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Eric, what do your Mint sources say about additional 2012 Reverse Proof ASE being offered separate from the 75th Anniv. Sets this year? Thanks.
    Specialized Investments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file