Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"OFFICIAL" 75th Anniversary "S" ASE Set Final Sales Prediction

Comments

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Rebellion among ASE collectors. A rehash of the 1995 W. Not as bad but a 100% premium is still price gouging. >>

I was surprised at the $149 price too and felt a little gouged. $119 or even $129 seemed more reasonable. At what point would you consider there not to be any gouging taking into account that both are proof coins and have "Deluxe", sort of, packaging?

• Options

<< <i>That will sure make a winner out of last years coin. >>

Yes I agree. But it also makes the 2012S set ok two.

Eric
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This set will be a big disappointment to those that are looking for a winner....not gonna happen. The Mint should learn a lesson from the Perth Mint....Price gouging numismatic products will come back to bite you in the behind. Final sales figures.. less than 200k..My guess, around 175k.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>OPA says: This set will be a big disappointment to those that are looking for a winner....not gonna happen. The Mint should learn a lesson from the Perth Mint....Price gouging numismatic products will come back to bite you in the behind. Final sales figures.. less than 200k..My guess, around 175k. >>

Care to make specific numerical guess?

• Options

There will be a rush to order in the final week.
    "Giving away an MS-65 $20 St. Gaudens to everyone logged in when I make my 10,000th post..."
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    The mint must be bummed about how sales are going at this point.
  • Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The mint must be bummed about how sales are going at this point. >>

This is fascinating. Will deep pocketed speculators really jump in at the end, or just a lot of SAE collectors? My guess is no.

Is collector interest really fatigued? My guess is yes.

Twenty days to go.

A final mintage near the 2006 Reverse Proof (250,000), or significantly less? Well, I definitely think it won't exceed 300,000.

I'm gonna guess 235,500.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    331,121...way lower that what I thought originally...and STILL probably too high a guess
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    I think some are giving way too much credibility to the "counter."
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This set will be a big disappointment to those that are looking for a winner....not gonna happen. The Mint should learn a lesson from the Perth Mint....Price gouging numismatic products will come back to bite you in the behind. Final sales figures.. less than 200k..My guess, around 175k. >>

At that number (175k) you closest comparison is the 06 anniversary set. Those sets wholesale at 275-300. Remove the regular proof and you have $250.

I think you could be looking at a $250 price tag on this set if numbers are that low.

So - a 67% return would be a big disappointment?
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<At that number (175k) you closest comparison is the 06 anniversary set.>>

Can't speak for others...but at anything near that number I'll be buying a few more as I'm eating a hot dog on the Fourth!
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think some are giving way too much credibility to the "counter." >>

My thoughts too. If there were a way to fool the speculators then manipulating that counter would be on the top of the list. I'd still rather have it than not.

So - a 67% return would be a big disappointment?

If it were 67% after grading fees, eBay fees and shipping fees involved then I'd be into it. But unfortunately once those are taken into account the endeavor quickly falls in line with many other investments IMO.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    Newest numbers up, and the last before predictions close later Sunday. 131,512 up 2,972 from the previous days posting.

• Options

<< <i>If it were 67% after grading fees, eBay fees and shipping fees >>

Keep in mind - WHOLESALE, thats across the counter to dealers, no fees, no shipping.

If the number comes in at 175k, and you grade and retail, you'll do better than 67% return
  • Options
    Hopefully I won't duplicate someone else's guess........ 321,034
    Long time collector back into the hobby. Started about 55 years ago.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I used the forecast function in excel and using the daily counter sales summary numbers posted by the OP, excel says 267,969. That's just based on the numbers at their current rate, doesn't take into account a final sales rush.

• Options
    Ok I"m in. 434,987
    Currently working with nurmaler. Older transactions....circa 2011 BST transactions Gecko109, Segoja, lpinion, Agblox, oldgumballmachineswanted,pragmaticgoat, CharlieC, onlyroosies, timrutnat, ShinyThingsInPM under login lightcycler
  • Options
    epcjimi1 says:

<< <i>I used the forecast function in excel and using the daily counter sales summary numbers posted by the OP, excel says 267,969. That's just based on the numbers at their current rate, doesn't take into account a final sales rush. >>

So, is this your official guess? Nothing wrong with using any help you can come up with.

• Options

<< <i>epcjimi1 says:

<< <i>I used the forecast function in excel and using the daily counter sales summary numbers posted by the OP, excel says 267,969. That's just based on the numbers at their current rate, doesn't take into account a final sales rush. >>

So, is this your official guess? Nothing wrong with using any help you can come up with. >>

Sure, lock it in.
  • Options
    A test of Excel's power at forecasting. I am at the Microsoft training page for Statistical Functions right now. LOL

• Options
    SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

DATE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UNITS ORDERED . . CHANGE FROM PRIOR DAY

Jun 07, 2012 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .n/a
    Jun 08, 2012 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .85,341
    Jun 11, 2012 . . . . . . . . . . . . . .115,059. . . . . . . . . . . . . .29,718
    Jun 12, 2012 . . . . . . . . . . . . . .121,304. . . . . . . . . . . . . .6,245
    Jun 13, 2012 . . . . . . . . . . . . . .125,371. . . . . . . . . . . . . .4,067
    Jun 14, 2012 . . . . . . . . . . . . . .128,540. . . . . . . . . . . . . .3,169
    Jun 15, 2012 . . . . . . . . . . . . . .131,512. . . . . . . . . . . . . .2,972

My Guess would be 253,276.

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a guess...I'd be willing to bet that if you haven't already ordered, you have ZERO chance of getting your sets in time to get the First Strike designation. I ordered some 25th sets near the end of the cutoff and did not get them in time for FS--and that was with 100,000 sets.
  • Options

<< <i>I used the forecast function in excel >>

Not a good tool - it's using average units and forecasting the same over the next 20 or so days.

Run rate over the last few days has been around 3k units/day; I could see those tailing off to 2k or 1k units a day - and then ramp right up on the last day,

I guess 60k units the last day.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I used the forecast function in excel >>

Not a good tool - it's using average units and forecasting the same over the next 20 or so days.

Run rate over the last few days has been around 3k units/day; I could see those tailing off to 2k or 1k units a day - and then ramp right up on the last day,

I guess 60k units the last day. >>

Yeah, I agree. The first weekend of unreported sales gets into the average and distorts / skews the final number upward in the spreadsheet.

But, FTR, I think 60K on the last day is optimistic.

I'll go 17.5K on the last day.

Let's see what happens! image
  • Options
    epcjimi1 and 7over8

Good points. I may have figured it out. At least I'm getting reasonable numbers. I'll post my figures after the guessing closes Sunday. Then I'll update the first post in the thread to reflect the running forecast day by day as new numbers go up at the Mint.

• Options
    A day and a half to post your prediction if you haven't done so yet. I'm sure you have a number in mind. Come on, no one will laugh at your guess of 1,000,000 sets. Well, 1,000,000, really??? image

• Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    K , 213,357 ! Enjoy !
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JaLPJaLP Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    nagsnags Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 781 ✭✭✭
    My estimate is 213,777. Thanks.
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    When will that Coin Shopping Channel jump in? I expect to see a big bump in sales one day from those puppies.

Will it be on the last day?
  • Options

<< <i>When will that Coin Shopping Channel jump in? I expect to see a big bump in sales one day from those puppies.

Will it be on the last day? >>

Unless they already jumped. If the Mint ships by order date, they would want to get them off to the graders as soon as possible and would order on the first day. They may make another buy if it looks like the mintage is comparatively low.

• Options
  • Options
    Just under 4 hours left to get your predictions in. Don't miss your chance.

• Options
    stckplungestckplunge Posts: 469 ✭✭
    My prediction: 286,234

Here is something that people may want to think about. In a potentially very clever way the US mint may be maximizing sales (at east in terms of units sold compared to other special sets, i.e. 25th anniversary) at the same time securing a relatively low "household limit" without actually imposing a strict household limit. If the mint does not ship these until the availability period is over, the mintage will likely be very low because all of the people that ordered early and hoping for a quick flip and then maybe another re-buy or two will be out of luck (a round about way of imposing an indirect household limit). Since these buyers would be unable to unload the early buys and will gain no information about the demand, they would be less likely to add quantity to their order during the availability window. I bought 10 sets with the speculation that early graded sets may sell at a premium but if they do not ship soon, I will not be able to re-buy for additional flip opportunities. I probably could have explained that a lot more clearly, but I was in a hurry - essentially delaying shipment until July will eliminate a bunch of flippers due to the loss of early information on price/demand.

Jeff
  • Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    THE PREDICTIONS ARE NOW CLOSED TO NEW GUESSES

Thank you to all who made a guess. Be right back with the first data analysis.

• Options
    There were 46 guesses
    The High guess was 601,000
    The Low guess was 180,001
    The Average of all 46 guesses is 310,407

Thanks to epcjimi1 post about Excel doing a forecast, I made up a spread sheet to track the Mint's counter numbers and forecast the final number. As more sales numbers get updated, the forecast will become more accurate. The current forecast using the Friday June 8th counter through the Friday June 15th counter is 271,718. I think this may be high. We shall see.

I interpolated the Saturday and Sunday counter numbers creating pseudo entries so a smoother calculation could be done. No false bumps for weekend sales.

I will edit the first post in this thread each day to reflect the newest poster counter numbers and the updated Excel forecast.

Of course, it remains to be seen what will happen in the last week. Will there be burst of orders if the mintage looks like it is going to be relatively low? I can't really figure this in because it may or may not happen.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Dude...you do have a life...correct???
  • Options
    Here's a graph out to 40 days correlating the current Us Mint actual sales vs KBG's forecast numbers from his spreadsheet. I put a vertical line at 28 days out to mark the end of sales and reflect the current accuracy I think is in the data known. As actual sales data is added by the Mint and additional forecast numbers are calculated, I think the curves will come together.

Then again, if everyone goes out and buys 80K of these S mint proofs on the last day, then all bets are off.

• Options
    LOL
    Once I got started, I just couldn't stop !
    I know, I'm a little weird, but I like playing with Excel, so I had a good time yesterday puzzling this all out.

• Options
    3K per day x 17 days = 51K
    60K final day

= sub 250K units.

No regression analysis needed. Your forecast fails on the last day.

The key is in the volume and the USM's ability to deal with those volumes thru their pipes on the last day.
  • Options
    Did you guys notice that the new 4 week sales program looks much like page 47 of the new moderns book?

It was written last fall. KP and Mint marketing has a little conference call in regard to page 47 and executed the contents. The program is now back loaded on sales just as 7/8 pointed out.
  • Options

<< <i>3K per day x 17 days = 51K
    60K final day

= sub 250K units.

No regression analysis needed. Your forecast fails on the last day.

The key is in the volume and the USM's ability to deal with those volumes thru their pipes on the last day. >>

I see your reasoning, as far as it goes. However, the rate of daily sales is falling of at an anticipated rate and not holding steady at 3k a day. I predict the daily sales rate in the mid 1,000's in next weeks Friday report and falling under 1,000 a day early in the following week of June 25th.

I agree there will be a sales jump in the last couple of days. I don't know if they will reach 60K. That's a pretty big percentage of first day sales. I'm going to be somewhat more conservative and put total sales from Friday's counter of 131,512 at 50-60K for a final sales number of 180,000 to 190,000. It all hinges on how much people want to get a low mintage set, if sales stay at current levels, and place orders, even if ordering on the last day will negatively effect that low mintage status, defeating the whole idea of getting in on a low mintage set.

The last weeks sales are so up in the air in fact, I think I'm just going to have to start a thread to guess the final day sales. I'll make it to start next Thursday the 21st and run through Wednesday the 27th. After all, I'm all set up for it. image

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Angry customers at the price gouging from the mint. I think the mint lost a lot of collectors because of the 2011 Anniversary Set. Replay of the 1995W. Summer sales are always weak. Poor economy. Sales ending near a Federal holiday. All these will also play a role in possible lower mintages.
  • Options

<< <i>However, the rate of daily sales is falling of at an anticipated rate and not holding steady at 3k a day >>

Agreed - my opinion is "high end" daily rate holding steady at ~3k per day. I think the rate will fall as well in the coming days to closer to 2k or even less.

There will be a "pop" in sales on the last day - if large enough, my prediction is the USM failing to keep their ordering system up and running smoothly, a loss of time to order,

and the usual bunch of complainers that waited till the very end and couldnt get a set.

There is no silver bullet for the preferred sales method.......I still like the low maximum mintages----- modified to have very low HH limits on day 1, then open the floodgates until sold out.
  • Options
    Counter updated: 135,468 +3,956 over the weekend.

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    100 image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file