Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone know who the seller "dengarsen" is on Ebay? Is he a member here? He has had the largest and longest running inventory for sale of these that I've seen. He has sold multi-thousands of dollar's

worth from my observations over the last couple of years; lots of raw and quite a few graded (anacs) samples as well. It would be interesting to hear from him to get his perspective on the series and its future.

Well, I'll let you go back to your roll searching tonight. Good luck all ... and a doubled thumbs up to the optimistic believers! imageimage p.s. who's going to enter the 700th posting on this

thread? >>

Hey buddy,way back in May, when you started this beautiful thread,did you ever think we'd still be talking about this coin in the way that everybody has? It's kind of funny that you and me,also included is pitboss,Akbeez and maybe papi too,also,a handful of others, are still excited about the 2009 cent! In May,when you first posted,look who posted right after you did!Let's keep it alive.imageimage

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Well Joey....thanks to you and all of the rest of the believers we have successfully made a strong statement for their recognition in the general collecting world. Not all mainstream collectors are as enthusiastic

as we are but the fact that major publications (written by respected numismatists in the industry) are on board bodes well for their future. The jury isn't in yet but it has been a FUN journey and great conversation

among friends. The point-counterpoint commentary from non-believers keeps us balanced in our assessment but hasn't deterred us from continuing on our quest. Enjoy what you like to collect no matter

what it is or how many join the party. Why some look at a doubled thumb or a skeleton finger and don't get excited is beyond me. Keep the faith believers and keep posting your findings, comments, etc.

imageimage
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I am still buying a box here and there and coming up with errors that I previously did not have. It is still exciting when I find some.imageThumbsUp;
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't have any 006's listed on Ebay but there are some very nice graded ones for sale that I've seen. I haven't seen any individual raw examples come up for awhile. Of course the graded ones are nice to have

for handling and storage. Plus they guarantee you a high grade coin!

P.S. Joeykoins.....check out www.doubleddie.com John Wexler's site for these. There are over 100 errors listed (some extremely minor) He has what he calls the "best of" designations and a price list per grade. >>

Ahem ... I happen to know another very good seller still selling raw 001, 002, & 006's out there...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    Yes, Akbeez, I did find some of your listings after you posted here. Pitboss has stated that his sales have begun to take off...how are your sales? Have you seen an upward trend as well?

I may be in for another box of 50 rolls soon now that the holidays are over. Getting an itch that just has to be scratched. Glad to see Papi contributing again to the discussion and that a few

new collectors have joined in the search and conversation. A double thumbs up to all....especially the believers! Good luck imageimage
    It is getting very hard to find any good boxes of 50 rolls now. I did see 5 boxes of LP2 4/27 yesterday but did not bid on them. They sold for $78. I do not need any more of them right now.
    I'm still looking for that box of 50 rolls. You're right that they're starting to dry up. I find that people are overpricing (imho) their bank boxes also; at least more than I'm willing to pay. However, I am patient and

know that something will eventually surface. In the meantime I watch, wait, and enjoy the conversations that we've had throughout this and other threads. Ok, just got home from work so it's off to Ebay

and see if I can get lucky. Good luck and a doubled thumbs up to you all imageimage edited to add...is anyone collecting the U09 36 coin set for the copper Lincoln errors? I've gotten a few

unopened sets for my collection and did find one error (a satin finish WDDR-005 doubled thumb considered a "best of" error by J. Wexler)
    I have not opened my uncirculated sets of 2009 . I have 10 sets in unopened boxes. I did look at my 10 sets of proof coins as they were not sealed and came up with 2 001's which I sent off to ANACS for grading. They both came back as PR69. I sold one for $500 and still have the other. I see one like mine listed on the bay right now for $3K. Good luck on the bay tonight there is not much to see there. I did get a box of 4/28 early this morning for cheap money though.
    Have a successful evening hunting.image

<< <i>Yes, Akbeez, I did find some of your listings after you posted here. Pitboss has stated that his sales have begun to take off...how are your sales? Have you seen an upward trend as well? >>

It's been in waves -- I suspect due to comments on the forums or other media at the moment. Overall, they have been one of the most consistent sales -- although I do have inventory to continue the sales. Several buyers want 10+.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    I have not been selling much in the way of single errors.

I am holding back until I see what is going to happen when the CPG comes out.
    I hadn't seen the proof wddr-001 error on the bay until you mentioned it Pitboss. I just went searching for it....$3000!! (if it sells) .... and you have one in your inventory? Nice!! I suspect that's why the 2009

proof set pricing is staying strong. I personally can't get caught up in chasing these down because of finances but I can see for some this would be a worthwhile adventure. Off today so I'll be doing a little roll

searching and Ebay surfing. Later!! imageimage
    I would not buy any proof sets that were not in sealed boxes from the mint.
    Good advise on buying only sealed boxes. There was an auction that ended yesterday for 30 silver proof sets still in a sealed box from the mint. He wanted $2500!!! Just a little bit over my budget.

About the only affordable option is to buy the U09 36 coin set that has the sms cents as part of the package. They are ranging in price between $30-$45 for sealed boxes. There are a few error coins

in those sets to be found. To this point however I've only found one, the wddr-005 doubled thumb. They are the 90% copper cents so they are still worth collecting just for their uniqueness and limited

mintage. Anyone else chasing after these sets? imageimage
    No, I have 10 of them in sealed boxes now which I am thinking of selling.

I am still buying 50 roll boxes though but they are becoming scarce and expensive.
    " Scarce and expensive" are the two words us believers want to hear!How you doing guy's? Still no word on the CPG? Just wondering.imageimage

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
    I don't like scarce and expensive when I am still buying though.imageimage

<< <i>I don't like scarce and expensive when I am still buying though.imageimage >>

Yes,true!imageimage

I have sold 30 of my good rolls that contain WDDR 025's and 32's because I just don't need any more of them.

Still have 20 rolls to go though.

They should be all gone this weekend on ebay.

I have some of my less prominent errors on there too but have not had too many buyers for them.

Lots of lookers on my graded coins also but no action on them.
    That's pretty impressive Pitboss that you've been selling so many of your rolls. I haven't been tracking them so I hope you're getting decent money for them. I'm still looking for sweet deals on Ebay but as you say

getting thinner and more expensive. I think the U09 sets will be worth having, I wouldn't sell those unless you need the money. The SMS cents will be sought after in the long run regardless of errors or not.

Well, back to work...you all have a great day .... keep the faith ... I Believe! imageimage
    Yea, I remember those day of having to go back to work.
    Glad that is over.
    I have bought 5 boxes of cents in the past week so will be busy next week.
    If I find more of the same errors I have been finding I will be selling those too.
    Collectors seem to want the good rolls I am selling.
    imageThumbsUp;
    How goes your box hunting Pitboss? I'm on hold presently in purchasing more but I've always got the itch. Not much out there that's affordable for me anyway. I did notice you've gotten more listings lately.

I wish you luck. Guess it's good to have a bigger presence on the Bay. Anybody else having any luck in their searches? The best to all and a doubled thumbs up for your efforts! imageimage
    I am still finding errors but none of the good ones. Sales have slowed but I expected they would until ht CPG comes out. I will keep listing as long as ebay is not charging for listing them. I have no intention of giving them away though. :ThumbsUpimage
    Any word on the CPG's publishing date yet? I've been on the fence about having Anacs grade some of mine but I am really hoping that our hosts here will come around once it gets out to the general collecting

public. I'd love to be one of the first submissions to PCGS with the error designation on the label. Until then..... imageimage ........image
    Just had to share this.....found today in a 2009 silver proof set purchased on the bay. What say you? The set was pristine! Plus got it at below the average price that

these sets normally sell for. Was purchased for a flip but this coin changes that idea. Somedays are good....and this is one of them! imageimage ">pic
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Onedollarnohollar, your link is broken
    image Ok...think it's fixed....sure would be nice to have the "preview" setting working again....imageimage

This is what got me excited today! It's the 2009-S proof error Wddr-005!
    Nice find!

It makes me want to open up my unopened boxes I got from the mint.
    I can't believe you haven't looked at your proof sets yet Pitboss. Are they first strike eligible? Still have them sealed in the original Mint shipping boxes? C'mon, you've got to take a peek....don't you???

I think I'm going to try to put together a sub-set of these proof errors and then work on a sub-set of the satin finish errors. There are fewer of them (listed errors) and obviously less of a mintage overall than the

business strike cents we have been searching. Humble beginnings: I have one (now) of the proof errors WDDR-005 as shown in my latest post and two of the satin finish errors, WDDR-004 + WDDR-005.

Also , on that subject, they are much more rare (valuable?) I believe than we even know at this time. So I've got some work to do and money to spend. Luckily the costs aren't really that great (otherwise I'd

be like the proverbial kid looking through the window of a candy store without a nickel in my pocket). No hurry to fill those sub-sets though. I'll look for deals here and there and hope for the best.

I still haven't seen a reasonably priced bank box to purchase lately and the mint LP2 boxes are getting more and more rare (for the better dates) so, as a result, not doing much exploring for new treasures in rolls.

Well, let me hear how you're all doing out there in search land and what gems you may have found or want to share. A doubled thumbs up to all of the believers! imageimage
    I have both proof and uncirculated sets still in unopened mint boxes.

Don't want to open them at this time.

Will be putting my graded errors away for now when my listings run out and have stopped buying boxes as I really don't need any more errors.

Am going to even stop opening rolls and sell off all the unopened rolls that I have, even the ones that I know contain errors and just wait for

the CPG to come out.

Probably will get some more of what I have graded in the meantime so I will be ready when that happens.imageimage
    I just emailed Whitman Publishing this morning to see if I can get an update on the CPG's release date. I'll let you know when, or if, I get a response. As I've said previously I'm only selectively searching

for special buys. No bank box rolls to look through and not opening any of my LP2 boxes that I've kept sealed. Off to work now....hope to hear from you all about your search successes.

imageimage
  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have my sealed 4 boxes of LP2's. I was wondering, after you have opened these knowing these are copper cents, what is evryone doing with the non-errors?? Just spend them like all the others?
    I found a few of those proof varieties too OneDollar -- set them aside, but they are a bit too "minor" to get excited about.

BossH -- these are not copper cents, only those in proof sets and the uncirculated Mint sets were copper. I just spend 'em after searching.
    bsshog40....what dates and times do you have on your lp2 sets? You may be sitting on something really good. As Akbeez said they are NOT copper cents so you can spend them once you've looked for the

possible errors. Welcome to the "believers" site....a doubled thumbs up to ya! imageimage
    If they are not in the 4/17 to 4/30 range you can either sell them for peanuts or keep them as momentos as there are no errors in them.imageimage
    Hi guy's, bsshog40,just as the guys already said about the non varieties,I would sort out a few nicely high graded (better condition) for future grading.EX: 2009p maybe in a 67 or 68 grade,can be worth a pretty penny later?of course,that's up to you.imageto our " believers board ". Hopefully, you turn out to be a true believer in this variety!Have patience along with the rest of us.Wait and see if your collection can catch fire,so that not only your varieties you set aside can be of value but also your 67 or 68 (or maybe even higher grade?) can rise in price as well! Good Luck! - joey imageimage

imageimageimage

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I found a few of those proof varieties too OneDollar -- set them aside, but they are a bit too "minor" to get excited about.

BossH -- these are not copper cents, only those in proof sets and the uncirculated Mint sets were copper. I just spend 'em after searching. >>

I hadn't even thought about these in a while. I forgot about only the proofs being copper. Thanks for reminding me. As for the dates, I have 5 boxes 10:43 04/28/09. I'm going to keep at least one box sealed for my collection. The other 4 are also sealed still.
    You have a very good date there and they should contain quite a few errors( WDDR 001 and Wddr 002) are a very good possibility.
    Open one of those puppies and let us know what you find! Pitboss is correct about the date being a good one for the 001's and 2's. If you've never seen one under your loupe it will be great fun to see those

doubled thumbs imageimage up close and personal.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hadn't even thought about these in a while. I forgot about only the proofs being copper. Thanks for reminding me. As for the dates, I have 5 boxes 10:43 04/28/09. I'm going to keep at least one box sealed for my collection. The other 4 are also sealed still. >>

I opened a box 4/28 9883 12:22 and it yielded:
    (4) DDR-002
    (8) DDR-010

Good luck.
    That is true but some of the same boxes contain WDDR 001's. I opened a box the other day dated 4/28,9883,07:46 and found a roll with WDDR 002 on the end of the roll.
    my best 4/28 roll yielded ten wddr-002's --- 9883 / 09:50 -- another roll, the same date/time had an 002 on the end so I left that one unopened. If your curiosity hasn't been peaked yet bsshog it never

will be...haha. Good luck! If you do open one up to search let us know what you discover....we love sharing what we've found as you can see by the length of this and other related threads.

imageimage
    I have plenty of these coins already so will leave that roll unopened along with my 84 other rolls with errors on the end. imageimage
    discovery

Not my listing but I thought I'd share if you haven't seen it. imageimage
    I saw it, he just wants to show off.

Not a chance to sell at that price.imageimage
    Needs better photos, looks a bit like the several I found in the proof boxes. OneDoll -- what think? Are they diff?
    Listing # 390531063464
    NGC bootstrap collection
    Is this not a variety listing?

cant spell
    LOOK WHAT I JUST PICKED UP!!!!!!!!!!

listing #281055230966

How about that!!!!!!!!!!!!

That calls for a double double thumbs up.

imageimageimageimage
    Pitboss that is a great pickup! imageimage Gives us hope that there are still key dates to be found! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file