Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have the exact date that the new CPG will be published? Getting anxious to see these in print! Too bad they haven't released it before Christmas. I'm going to use a few of these as stocking stuffers

this year!

Update...opened a roll the other night from a 4/23 box....eight of the 006's ... two with obverse did cracks ... no reverse die cracks. Also opened a 5/1 box....there were seven 012's with stage D reverses and a

few 010's
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes,I'm curious also,as to when " The Book" will finally be out?image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Contact Whitman publishing and push them for an answer.

Bill Fivaz and JT Stanton are the ones that are in charge of getting this book done as I understand it.
  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I found it hard to find the time to go thru over 600 replies, lol, but I have 5 sealed boxes time and dates 10:43 04/28/09. Think there might be anything good in these?
    I have down early morning and late afternoon as the best times for 4/28 but what do I know.
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    Christmas bump.

Merry Christmas to all and hopefully a great New Year for all.

I look forward to PCGS grading these.

This is still my favorite die crack: not sure what # it is?
    I didn't find this one, I bought it on Ebay.
    Haven't seen too many of these.

of course the 013 die crack is a classic.

You are showing what is commonly referred to as a "smoking abe" die crack reverse cent. I'm not sure if there is a ddr designation attached to it or it is simply a major die crack variety. I also love the huge

die cracks that are found in this series. The wddr 13 stage C reverse die crack definately will have great value once the new CPG and Redbooks define their value early next year. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays,

Happy Kwanza, Happy Hanukah to all and a fantastic New Year as well! A doubled thumbs up for your future searches and coin quests imageimage
    We have not heard if it will be early next year or not but are hopeful.

Has everyone picked up all they need of the good varieties before that happens?
    Haha Pitboss...we know YOU'RE fat and happy, especially after your huge score that you told us about a few postings ago. I think I've gotten a decent amount stockpiled but I'm always on the lookout for a

special deal here and there. I personally haven't contacted the publisher of the CPG for an update on the release date of the new guide but anxiously await to see what, if any, affect it has on these value wise.
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Haha Pitboss...we know YOU'RE fat and happy, especially after your huge score that you told us about a few postings ago. >>

I saw that. Very nice pickup.

I haven't bought in a long while but will begin again to pick up some of "my" favorites.

DDR-001,002,006 and 013

Joe

<< <i>Haha Pitboss...we know YOU'RE fat and happy, especially after your huge score that you told us about a few postings ago. I think I've gotten a decent amount stockpiled but I'm always on the lookout for a

special deal here and there. I personally haven't contacted the publisher of the CPG for an update on the release date of the new guide but anxiously await to see what, if any, affect it has on these value wise. >>

Count me in also being " anxious"! In one of the threads,I predicted that this series will be on fire in the new year! ( fingers crossed) and thumbs.image

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
    I put a bunch of mine that I had graded on ebay to try and see what the reaction is from the general public. There are a lot of people out there watching but not many buying at this point. I have graded 200 of these things so far and will probably do more in the future if there starts to be some more interest.
    Well,looks like you put a lot more stock into this series than most.I wish you luck buddy! These are so,so underrated aren't they? I'm not just saying that because we're bias on this series,but because of the error/variety of a icon coin,in it's freshman year of change!When a coin changes it's design after 50 or 60 years,than all of a sudden,double-dies are in the mix of that design.Well,Cmon' this doesn't happen all the time.also,it so happened to be an American coin,so popular.Not only to us Americans,but a coin that's known all over the world.We love you Abe!

I agree that the Lincoln cent is the most widely collected coin in the world but I will not ship any out of the US as they tend to disappear.

I have only shipped 3 coins out of the US and 2 of them have gotten lost.

We take the US postal service for granted here but it is the finest in the world.
    I have tracked a couple of your listings on Ebay Pitboss and it's good to have them out there to trail blaze for the more casual collector's eye plus establish a certain value to them. Keep up the good work.

imageimage
    I am not even selling raw coins anymore.

I will just send more in to get graded as the ones sell that I have out there.

<< <i>

<< <i>Haha Pitboss...we know YOU'RE fat and happy, especially after your huge score that you told us about a few postings ago. I think I've gotten a decent amount stockpiled but I'm always on the lookout for a

special deal here and there. I personally haven't contacted the publisher of the CPG for an update on the release date of the new guide but anxiously await to see what, if any, affect it has on these value wise. >>

Count me in also being " anxious"! In one of the threads,I predicted that this series will be on fire in the new year! ( fingers crossed) and thumbs.image >>

It would be to everyone's advantage to be contacting Whitman Publishing and inquiring about the CPG.
    Haven't the contents of the CPG, and which of these error coins make the cut, already been determined? Are they still open to our (collectors of these specifically) concerns and wants? Would they be open

to add more to what they've already determined to be the "top ten or fifteen"? I think they're already in the last stages of editing and proofreading and plan to publish very soon...

On that note.....has anyone recently come across any unattributed doubled dies in this series that are being analyzed for future assignment to the overall list by either Coneca or Wexler? If you do have something

in the works that you discovered, please share and let us know if it's a significant enough error to "stop the presses"!
    I have tried to get in touch with people at Whitman but nobody will return my calls or emails on the subject. It is quite a process they must go through to get all these coins processed and photographed. It is not as easy as getting a novel printed. There are just too many different coins involved. I wish someone with authority could give us an estimate of approximately when this could possibly be coming out. I know that by now they should know what varieties of the 2009 pennies will be in there after 4 years.
  • PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭

<< <i>I have tried to get in touch with people at Whitman but nobody will return my calls or emails on the subject. It is quite a process they must go through to get all these coins processed and photographed. It is not as easy as getting a novel printed. There are just too many different coins involved. I wish someone with authority could give us an estimate of approximately when this could possibly be coming out. I know that by now they should know what varieties of the 2009 pennies will be in there after 4 years. >>

The last CPG containing Lincolns was published in 2007, at which time it only contained coins up to 2000; now 13 yrs behind.

Even if the new CPG contains the already assigned 2009 numbered coins; I hold out little hope for another edition anytime before 2020+, unless the finally go digital.
    If they just put the ones with the numbers already assigned to them in it would make me very happy because those are the coins that I

have been concentrating on thanks to you Papi. You have been a big help to me and I appreciate it. Most of the lesser varieties ( I call them

dots and dashes) have no interest to me nor anyone else for that matter except for those trying for a complete set. I don't even try to get

all the different stages as I cant tell the difference between them.
    Hey ya'll.....just got an lp2 box in the mail.....dated 4/23.....yep, wddr-006/wddo-002 skeleton finger on the end of the roll (kept it unopened) . Good way to end the year! Happy New Year everyone!
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Musta been you that outbid me on that 4/23 roll recently...

Congrat's --
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Akbeez, put some spaces in your tag line, your blowing up my page!

I have about 50 sealed boxes dated 4/23 and about as many more of 4/17-4/30. I have opened up enough to pretty much know what is in each of the sealed boxes so I'm happy happy happy right now. My last purchase was 15 4/23 boxes bought through eBay for a song and a dance.
    Sounds like you are in pretty good shape Jesse.
    Sorry about that Jesse -- I was maxed out on tagline space so removed the spaces, but didn't know it was messing up the page width. Let's see if this is better.

The good boxes are getting far and few between. The hunt is still good -- and prices for the skeletons is increasing.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    Not sure if I outbid you Akbeez on this one...it was'nt sold individually...part of an LP1-5 series. Jesse, sounds like you're fat on these as well. I've gotten what I could but I can't compete with some of the

hoards that I know some of you have. Always good to find a "cherry" box(es) come up for sale and be able to snag them. imageimage

1 EACH ~ LP2 & LP3 ~ UNOPENED MINT BOX OF LINCOLN CENTS~DATED 4/23 & 08/07 of 09

Went for $40 on 12/25. Anyone here claim this victory?

tweren't me...image
    I saw them but would not bid at that price.

I have enough of them already.

<< <i>I saw them but would not bid at that price.

I have enough of them already. >>

"Enough"? Never enough!!!image:image

I'm with Pitboss...a little high priced. I've got a VERY tight budget, unlike others, so I have to look for super bargains. That's why my hoard isn't as large as others and why none have been sent in for

grading...yet! I've gotten plenty on the cheap though so my hoard is adequate as it stands. Joey...this IS the "formative years club" ! If a newbie comes along and wants to see pics of the best of the best

that Papi and others have posted or read about the CPG, the Redbook, Wexler, Conneca, special dated boxes, roll searches, etc. they will find it here. That's not to discourage you if you want to start a

separate thread. I will certainly join the "club" and participate in the discussions, debates, and discoveries. It may be interesting to have a "roll call" of those members on this forum that are active collectors

of these or have a contingency stash put aside. Anyone want to just have a simple roll call? One word only..."aye, yea, here, betcha, si, yabadabadoo, etc."

Aye!
    Aye!
    I know,I'm on a budget also! I'm just kidding. Enough is probably enough. Oh, a BIG AYE!:ThumbsUpimageimage

Since y'all have enough, send 'em to me...still lookin...

AYE

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Aye....still interested and hold my stash both graded and raw...

<< <i>Nickcap....no, PCGS has not begun attributing them yet. I believe they will once the new Cherrypickers Guide is issued in the coming months. In the meantime go to John Wexler's site to see all of the varieties

that have been identified to date. His site is www.doubleddie.com ... then go to the section for 2009p doubled dies. There are about 100 varieties. He also has a section on the proof errors, 2009d errors, etc.

It's fun to view his pics and then see them through your own loupe. As far as the KING of these errors...I think the consensus would be the wddr-006 skeleton finger. There are some late stage varieties out

there (not in my house sadly) that have obverse and reverse die cracks along with the skeleton finger....those would be the super-premium coins to own...imho. Good luck to you and your sons in your searches.

Be sure to look at all of the information on this thread and others here regarding dates and times that hold the best of the best inside! A doubled thumbs up! imageimage >>

Yeah,buddy. Just to let you know, you first came up with the imageimage idea! Good thinking,for double thumbs varieties!

Thanks Joey.....I'm going to talk to a friend that may be able to produce a t-shirt with the doubled thumbs logo and words "formative cent club" or something to that effect for me to wear to the next

Long Beach show. I think it would be fun to see various reactions. Keep the faith believers! imageimage

Edited to add....wddr-006 with large obverse die crack and small reverse die crack (rim to top of letter A) Just thought I'd share a little something different.

imageimage
    I just looked at the ones I have with the small die crack on the 006 and found the large die crack on the obverse like you have pictured. I didn't know I had that particular coin. I knew I had the large die crack on the reverse on a few but was surprised to see those ones on the obverse.
    Could you post a pic of the large reverse die crack Pitboss? I'd love to see what I'm missing in my collection. image
    I am not able to take a picture and enlarge it like that. I wish I could. I have a dino-scope but cant get pictures from it.
    Oh, alright...well then I guess you'll just have to send me one (to look at) lol .... does anyone else have the capability of posting a pic of this last stage large reverse die crack on the 006?
    Not me buddy. Great pics and nice die crack(OBV.)Man,what a fantastic idea with the T-shirt! I guaranty you will get reactions.Hopefully,CPG will finally be out by then.Keep on pushing! One thing,on my thread,I posted that there were approx. 70 2009p varieties. Am I close? imageimage

• copperhuntercopperhunter Posts: 925 ✭✭✭
    It appears that my mint box rolls only produced DDR -001, -002, and -003. image

Anyone have a couple -006s to spare?
    There are plenty of them online for sale.
    I don't have any 006's listed on Ebay but there are some very nice graded ones for sale that I've seen. I haven't seen any individual raw examples come up for awhile. Of course the graded ones are nice to have

for handling and storage. Plus they guarantee you a high grade coin!

P.S. Joeykoins.....check out www.doubleddie.com John Wexler's site for these. There are over 100 errors listed (some extremely minor) He has what he calls the "best of" designations and a price list per grade.
    Thanx! I 'll check.imageimage

Does anyone know who the seller "dengarsen" is on Ebay? Is he a member here? He has had the largest and longest running inventory for sale of these that I've seen. He has sold multi-thousands of dollar's

worth from my observations over the last couple of years; lots of raw and quite a few graded (anacs) samples as well. It would be interesting to hear from him to get his perspective on the series and its future.

Well, I'll let you go back to your roll searching tonight. Good luck all ... and a doubled thumbs up to the optimistic believers! imageimage p.s. who's going to enter the 700th posting on this

thread?
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>p.s. who's going to enter the 700th posting on this >>

Not me! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file