Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

3rd 100,000 mintage coin in the 25th Anniversary set

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I've looked at 100's of San Fran bullion coins and haven't found any with the dimple, yet all of my 2011 & 2001-S "Set" coins have the dimple...I also have not seen a set 2011 that doesn't look burnished... >>

Obviously one slightly defective hub made many dies, as hubs do, and multiple dies from this batch were shipped from Philadelphia to San Francisco. However, that does not mean that other dies from that batch were not sent to West Point and used.

Again, the bottom line is that the dimple alone is not a reliable indication of where a particular coin was struck. Could be San Francisco, could be West Point. >>

Most likely is as you indicated, but from what I've inspected. ( These are all PCGS 70 graded coins available prior to the SET coins ) 2 x (S) nmm had the dimple...2 x nmm but "manufacted in SF" had the dimple. 3 x nmm ( and I assume since PCGS did not identify where minted, these were the West Point bullion) no dimple .. 2 x W ... no dimple.... Again, all of these are in PCGS holders
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Question for the informed and knowledgeable collectors..!!!!
    ...........Does it Matter from which Mint strikes the coin or it originates from ..??...there is more to meets the EYE here...image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

...........Does it Matter from which Mint strikes the coin or it originates from ..??

It does seem petty, unless there is some truth in the possibility of the A25 nmm bullion was actually a burnished blank, and the marker identifies it. Sounds like Capt may have debunked the possibility with his new report.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    My next question is that coins w/ NO mm from the SanFransico mint are labeled from San Fransico...because they were minted in San Fransico..are they a different entity..???
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just spoke with the guy at the store that orders the silver eagles. He says they came from MTB in New York.

Since MTB gets their eagles at nearby West Point, we can safely say that the coin in my hand with the dimple on the reverse was struck at West Point.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>...Does it Matter from which Mint strikes the coin or it originates from >>

the mint puts them on some coins, so it must have some significance.

<< <i>Could be San Francisco, could be West Point. >>

that is why the bullion were slabbed (S) and 'in SF'. only ID was the band on the monster box.

maybe the coin from tube you purchased from was from a SF box?
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...Does it Matter from which Mint strikes the coin or it originates from >>

that is why the bullion were slabbed (S) and 'in SF'. only ID was the band on the monster box.

maybe the coin from tube you purchased from was from a SF box? >>

Please see the comment above yours. The coin came from MTB in New York, which gets its silver eagles from West Point.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

maybe the coin from tube you purchased from was from a SF box? >>

Please see the comment above yours. The coin came from MTB in New York, which gets its silver eagles from West Point. >>

Do the boxes indicate that the coins inside were minted at WP or is WP just an east coast distributor for the SF minted coins?
  • Options
    Or the simple explanation may be true: one hub at the Philadelphia Mint's die shop made many dies, that were used at both facilities.

No luck taking a picture with my point-and-shoot camera. I'll see if David Greenstein down at Harlan Berk has time to shoot one when he gets back from the Vegas show.
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    I guess this isn't going to pan out as the next "Cheerios dollar", damn shame. I was keeping my fingers crossed.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    I just received a PCGS MS70 Mercanti bullion (no mintmark) from the set. It has the dimple in the tail feather. There are also frost breaks and scrapes down the center of liberty's gown. The breaks accentuate the burnished appearance of the ASE bullion. I wonder if this is burnished afterall. It would be nice to learn the truth about these.

By the way, what does it take to receive a MS70 grade? I wouldn't have thought this one would have graded a 70.

• Options
    I have bought 7 sets pcgs sets on ebay,Flags and Mercanti and about half of the 70s are not 70s to me. Nicks spots, scratches and frost breaks all over them. I'm going to wait till fun to buy any more and hopefully I can pick out some better ones.
  • Options

<< <i>FWIW, I happened to be down at my old coin shop today, and looked at the singleton 2011 silver eagles being sold out of a monster box. All of them had the same "dimple" on the tail feather as the no-mintmark bullion coin in the five-coin set on display.

Therefore, the no-mintmark bullion coins with the "dimple" on the tail are not unique to the five-coin sets.

TD >>

I just reviewed 10 PCGS graded 25th Anniv Sets, hoping to find the dimple on a W MS coin. These sets were ordered over a 4 hour period and should confirm what you've quoted. But to no avail. All S and nmm coins had the dimple, but non of the W's ... So what's going on? In addition, I could not tell the nmm coins appart from the W & S coins....same burnished or un burnished finish.

What's the old saying: If it looks like a dimple, walks like a dimple etc image
  • Options

<< <i>I just received a PCGS MS70 Mercanti bullion (no mintmark) from the set. It has the dimple in the tail feather. There are also frost breaks and scrapes down the center of liberty's gown. The breaks accentuate the burnished appearance of the ASE bullion. I wonder if this is burnished afterall. It would be nice to learn the truth about these.

By the way, what does it take to receive a MS70 grade? I wouldn't have thought this one would have graded a 70. >>

I've asked on several threads if a burnished blank can be identified post-strike, and have gotten NO answers.

The few 70's I've received (flags) have been well-earned. No breaks, etc.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    It's shiny underneath the surface. A definite contrast difference between what's on top and what's underneath the frost breaks. It looks burnished to me.

I ordered another one to replace this funky one. At some point will send this back to PCGS.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a nice article by ken Potter on the front page of the Dec. 27th issue of Numismatic News about these coins and the "tail dimple"....
  • Options
    Curious minds...when Potter speaks ... paraphrase anyone?
  • Options
    AbsolutionAbsolution Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    I sent back some coins back to PCGS for guaranteed resubmission will update when I get it but I had same issues.

1) Coin had a bunch of what looks like mint frosts or just shiny spots on the back around the eagle
    2) There's black spots around the dress of the coin o.O
    3) 2011-S has 2 shiny spots, seems to be in the same spot as the MS69 one I have and some others I asked in another forum to send me. Might be mint frost for sure if that's the case since it's coincidentally on the same area.

Once I get the results back I'll post it on another thread. Glad I'm not the only one, was getting really really worried.
    Successful BST Transactions with: RMLTM79 (seller), Gerard (seller), bgman (buyer), Coinflip (buyer) | Positive Vendor Transactions/Service with: Stuppler & Company (seller)
  • Options

<< <i>There is a nice article by ken Potter on the front page of the Dec. 27th issue of Numismatic News about these coins and the "tail dimple".... >>

A summary, please?
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There is a nice article by ken Potter on the front page of the Dec. 27th issue of Numismatic News about these coins and the "tail dimple".... >>

A summary, please? >>

Dimple
  • Options
    Nothing new in the article that we don't already know.
  • Options
    I just noticed the John Mercanti Label on the 2007-W & 2008-W Silver Eagles, while scrolling through Ebay? Looks like that label will be available for all eagles!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

A summary, please? >>

Dimple >>

Thank you.

I would question the comment that there were two different design varieties involved. The dimple coins were merely struck from dies made from an inferior hub that had a tiny part of the design missing. Think of the Trade Dollars made from hubs that had various bits of the lettering chipped away. They are not design varieties.

There are many other examples of U.S. coins struck from dies made from defective hubs. The 1878 Morgan dollars are a good example. The Shield Nickel series is another one.

TD
  • Options
    Thanks for the link to read KP's article.

I have PCGS MS70 2011-(S) Struck in SF bullion that are not from the Anniversary Set that have the dimple or hash mark.

That part of the question is answered. They are not exclusive to the Set.

What I'm interested in learning is if the dimple or hash mark is exclusive to SF struck ASE's.

• Options

<< <i>I have bought 7 sets pcgs sets on ebay,Flags and Mercanti and about half of the 70s are not 70s to me. Nicks spots, scratches and frost breaks all over them. I'm going to wait till fun to buy any more and hopefully I can pick out some better ones. >>

There are posts in every thread on the 25th anniversary set speculating that a least a certain segment of the population of these coins were overgraded. I guess you have seen it firsthand.
  • Options
    Quoted (by Potter) from Michael White of the Mint on Nov 30:

“We are not aware of any bullion coins in the 25th anniversary sets being struck on burnished blanks used for the uncirculated coins in the set. The blanks for the bullion strikes are used straight from the vendor while the blanks for the uncirculated coin are cleaned and burnished. There may be similarities in the brightness range for the two products but greater variations in appearances are due to die-to-die hand finishing variation or how many strikes are on the die.”

Hmmm. If die to die hand finishing for bullion coins can generate the same finish as the "burnishing" process by the Mint, then we're getting screwed by a (likely expensive) process that could otherwise be perform with some hand finishing.

Similarly, the extra tonnage on the strikes that Potter suggests is reasonable, but then again, why not employ that for all the unc SAEs and save $ on the extra burnishing process.

I don't buy it. I think they used burnished blanks but don't want to admit it now since that would be contrary to their claim of being regular "bullion" strikes.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>What I'm interested in learning is if the dimple or hash mark is exclusive to SF struck ASE's. >>

good thing this thread was started about it. image

hopefully a consensus is reached soon.
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    Well FWIW I took a picture of my SF minted bullion coin and here is what came of it. BTW this one is NOT part of the set. looks like the infamous hashmark

• Options
    How would these coins compare to the millennium silver eagle issue that was minted at west point? Doesn't seem to be a huge premium for the "W" coin with no W.
    BST Transactions;
    Seller- thebigeng; morgansforever; bolivarshagnasty
    Buyer-nibanny; derryb; zubie; smittys; konsole; tootawl; socalbigmark; fullcameo; coinkid855
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the link to read KP's article.

I have PCGS MS70 2011-(S) Struck in SF bullion that are not from the Anniversary Set that have the dimple or hash mark.

That part of the question is answered. They are not exclusive to the Set.

What I'm interested in learning is if the dimple or hash mark is exclusive to SF struck ASE's. >>

Please see my several comments above regarding coins from West Point with the so-called dimple.
  • Options

<< <i>How would these coins compare to the millennium silver eagle issue that was minted at west point? Doesn't seem to be a huge premium for the "W" coin with no W. >>

IMO this is an overlooked issue.The coins were minted at West Point and clearly stated as such...w/no Mint Mark.Giventhe fact that there 9,239,132 coins that year 75,000 were minted at West Point that year.The following year all were from there.I believe in time these will be among the favorites...!!
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    My thoughts exactly, the millennium eagle at 75k mintage would be the lowest mintage other than the 08/07 reverse. Those have been overlooked and the "s" no mint would be destined to be overlooked as well. Even if they were recognized as an s mint coin by the tpg's it would fall to the wayside. I think it would still carry a premium but it would be minimal, similar to the millennium coin.
    BST Transactions;
    Seller- thebigeng; morgansforever; bolivarshagnasty
    Buyer-nibanny; derryb; zubie; smittys; konsole; tootawl; socalbigmark; fullcameo; coinkid855
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

If they don't have an "S" on them they are not 2011 S coins. That is all there is to say about it. They are not going to recognize them so we

might as well move on at this point. They have been minting coins at different mints and not disclosing it for years.
  • Options

<< <i>If they don't have an "S" on them they are not 2011 S coins. That is all there is to say about it. They are not going to recognize them so we

might as well move on at this point. They have been minting coins at different mints and not disclosing it for years. >>

Incorrect...!!!...in the year 2000 the Mint clearly disclosed the Mint the these coins were Minted from and packaged the accordingly in the Millenium issue.
    edit..This is clearly a Pedigree issue coin..
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    Anybody else find any common bullion coins with the so-called "dimple?"
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    If i recall someone here said that that 2011 W Uncirc is the sleeper in this set and not the two keysimage
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    "Some" would say YES. The 11W could very well be a 4th sleeper if the bullion turns out to be a burnished. 11W is poised to be the lowest MS mintmarked W in the series.
  • Options
    I also noticed a big difference in the strike of the Proof Eagle from the set. It has a much more detailed strike than the none set version. Anyone else notice. Laters
  • Options
  • Options
    I just received my sets from ATS and showed it to several family members. I got everyones opinion on the 3 different uncirc finishes and all came to the conclusion that the bullion version must be the burnished kind. There is a huge difference between the bullion and the uncirc versions. The uncirc look like bullion and the bullion looks burnished
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    2011 W ASEs are at 222K, with the set at 322K. I wonder if they minted 500K?
  • Options
    This one will just have to play out. They will keep selling them for sure. 400k? 500K? Surely this board has some sources inside the mint? image
    Currently working with nurmaler. Older transactions....circa 2011 BST transactions Gecko109, Segoja, lpinion, Agblox, oldgumballmachineswanted,pragmaticgoat, CharlieC, onlyroosies, timrutnat, ShinyThingsInPM under login lightcycler
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

The only way you would find out is to file a FOIA or wait until the mint is good and ready to let the info out.
  • Options

<< <i>Anybody else find any common bullion coins with the so-called "dimple?" >>

Still looking, but having no luck. The only ones with dimples are on the (S) and S mm coins.
  • Options
    I ask the question a back a few posts with no answer.Has anyone noticed the how the proof eagles are different from the set? The Eagle and wording are a lot more detailed. The non set version proof is more frosty and it hides all the detail. The coins are night and day side by side. Laters
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I ask the question a back a few posts with no answer.Has anyone noticed the how the proof eagles are different from the set? The Eagle and wording are a lot more detailed. The non set version proof is more frosty and it hides all the detail. The coins are night and day side by side. Laters >>

I'll need to look at some of these side by side, I hadn't noticed yet. Without actually seeing what you are referring to it does sound as though that could be explained by simply differences in strike, different ages of the dies etc. If you have pics, that might help.

On a similar track, I've been going through all 26 yearly releases of PROOFs and making observations on how the "look" has changed over then years. Perhaps in a couple weeks I'll have a fairly detailed post of those observations.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the huge majority of collectors will ignore any varieties that are not easily visible and obvious. This includes the "bullion" coin in the 25th Anniversary Set.

A recent case in point is the fate of the 2009-P and 2009-D Lincoln cents from the Mint Sets of that year. They were struck in bronze, while all the circulation strikes were in copper-coated zinc. This is a much more substantial difference than a burnished surface. Yet this difference in composition has been ignored by both the TPG's and the collecting community at large.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>Anybody else find any common bullion coins with the so-called "dimple?" >>

Follow-up....looked at a 2012 coin from a monster box, and it has the so-called dimple. Looks like the mint simply made a new reverse master die or hub during the middle of 2011, and all dies made after that point (including the dies for some of the anniversary coins) have it.

Not a distinguishing mark.

TD
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4imageimage

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file