Home U.S. Coin Forum

3rd 100,000 mintage coin in the 25th Anniversary set

Have any of you taken a careful look at the so-called "Bullion" no mint mark coin contained in the 25th Anniversary ASE set? These are the same coins that are currently being broken out of the sets and sold on eBay for near bullion prices. Have a look at the photos below - the coin on the left is from the 25th Anniversary set (burnished) and the one on the right is from a common 2011 bullion roll. Looks to me like we have a third 100,000 mintage coin in the set. What do you think?

best regards,
Ed Davidson

Comments

• dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    A Roman Finish Proof? imageimage
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like the burnished coin.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • I remember the shiny vs. burnished discussion for the 08/07 W's...looks to be the same but in reverse...looks burnished.

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now, wouldn't this be a trip? Having a 3rd "value" coin in there...and people chucking them out the door for bullion spot+ price basically image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    i was discussing the finishes on the 2011 ASE @ the B&M and we looked at 3 different (looking) finishes on them.
    some looked like the 25th set.

could this be a difference between the SF vs W minting?
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone notify Don Willis!!!
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone notify Don Willis!!! >>

And hurry! My coins should be in there hands as we speak!!!!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• I've checked all five of my 25th Anniversary sets and the "Bullion" no-mint-mark coin in each all look the same (burnished)...like in the photos:

best regards,
    Ed Davidson
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats totally cool my three sets are being encased right now and will make sure I don't sell anything before finding out more info on this. Nice job...............Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • johnperk747johnperk747 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Different looking because of sitting on the shelf too long at the US MINT image

Blessings
  • bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    If true, that could change things a bit. Making the label, potentially much more important.
  • Wouldn't the TPGs have noticed a different finish on the 25th Anniversary sets they've slabbed already and noted it as such?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
    We already know the SF mint, minted unmarked "s" mint eagles. How do the finishes on those compare the bullion coin from the set?
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>Wouldn't the TPGs have noticed a different finish on the 25th Anniversary sets they've slabbed already and noted it as such? >>

Not necessarily, I think the 08/07's were being slabbed for quite some time and nobody, except our beloved John Nanney noticed the reverse was different...

• << <i>We already know the SF mint, minted unmarked "s" mint eagles. How do the finishes on those compare the bullion coin from the set? >>

The coin in the photos (above and on the right) are from a common roll of un-marked "S" mint ASE's I happened to have on hand.
    best regards,
    Ed Davidson

<< <i>

<< <i>We already know the SF mint, minted unmarked "s" mint eagles. How do the finishes on those compare the bullion coin from the set? >>

The coin in the photos (above and on the right) are from a common roll of un-marked "S" mint ASE's I happened to have on hand. >>

edited: appears the bullion coin was only minted in SF
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess this was a downside of sending my sets off to the graders all sealed up... no chance to notice something cool like this image

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    On the October 31st issue of Coin World, the US Mint stated that each of the coins in this set were minted specifically for the set. This means that the coins were NOT taken from existing inventories but were in fact minted between August and September of this year.

I fully expect the "bullion" versions to be completely dfifferent than a standard bullion coin.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 118th thread with 25th in the title.
    I guess it may be smart to hold off, until some official
    statement is released? My bullion examples in the set are
    not your typical tubed Eagles, very clean and hit free.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

<< <i>The 118th thread with 25th in the title.
    not your typical tubed Eagles, very clean and hit free. >>

IMO, it doesn;t really matter as it will not affect the value of the set.

If folks are selling off the individual coins or more accurately the "common coins" from the set, they are making a huge mistake as I seriously doubt that the 2011-S and the REV Proof will sustain their current values out of the sets.

But then, the more sets they bust up, the better it is for those that keep the sets intact.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • That does look like quite a difference...a burnished bullion coin. Intriguing. Good thing some folks are opening their boxes to check 'em out. Thanks for the heads up.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
    <<If folks are selling off the individual coins or more accurately the "common coins" from the set, they are making a huge mistake as I seriously doubt that the 2011-S and the REV Proof will sustain their current values out of the sets.>>

Today I saw a few RP's end at $375-400, and the "S" example right around $300.

<< <i><<If folks are selling off the individual coins or more accurately the "common coins" from the set, they are making a huge mistake as I seriously doubt that the 2011-S and the REV Proof will sustain their current values out of the sets.>>

Today I saw a few RP's end at $375-400, and the "S" example right around $300. >>

Today's prices are not "sustained" prices. Today's prices are "wave" prices.

And yes, that packaging does have some value.

The name is LEE!
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But then, the more sets they bust up, the better it is for those that keep the sets intact.

If the Mint intended there to be a consistant finish on this coin that is distinguishable from the regular bullion coin, then every coin that is sold off from a broken set is one less coin in the total population of this issue - making it scarcer than the other 100,000 mintage coins.

It could also be that the Mint took no pains to keep a consistant finish on this coin, and as we saw in some of the burnished ATBs, they might tend to start looking more like regular production coins as the dies got more usage.

Nice catch.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right...but the question is this...does anyone have an UN-burnished no-MM bullion coin in their set...or are they all burnished?

I'm hoping that they're all distinctly burnished!
  • All five of my sets contain the exact same burnished finish on the no-mint-mark "bullion" coin, as shown in the photo (coin on the left). Anyone else have un-sealed sets close by to report on?

best regards,
    Ed Davidson
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<All five of my sets contain the exact same burnished finish on the no-mint-mark "bullion" coin, as shown in the photo. Anyone else have un-sealed sets close by to report on?>>

WHA HA HA HA HA...I'm getting very excited now!

• paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

In yesterday's CW, a Mint official, Tom Jurkowsky, reconfirmed that the bullion
    coin in the set was minted exclusively at San Francisco. He said the decision to
    do so was made after the COA's were printed. I don't know what more PCGS
    needs to properly label this coin.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the "exciting" finish we are supposed to be looking at?
  • ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bullion coin was the first thing I noticed in my set, mine just seemed so top-notch better than the average bullion eagle, and it was just a shade less burnished-looking than the S and W burnishes in my set.
  • 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    I thought the mint switched to at least a QUASI-BURNISHED finish for silver eagle bullion coins around 10 years ago, the differences in finish can clearly be seen from say an '89 to an '09. From these pics it looks like the non-ann. set 2011 bullion coin has an MS finish more like the older ASE's.
  • Yoyo, any chance you can pop that casing apart and get photos without plastic?
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yoyo, any chance you can pop that casing apart and get photos without plastic? >>

All he needs to do is place the capsule back in the blue box and shake vigorously.........the coin should pop out nicely! image
  • dlmtortsdlmtorts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    "I thought the mint switched to at least a QUASI-BURNISHED finish for silver eagle bullion coins around 10 years ago, the differences in finish can clearly be seen from say an '89 to an '09. From these pics it looks like the non-ann. set 2011 bullion coin has an MS finish more like the older ASE's."

92vette - I agree with you. I think most bullion ASE's of the recent past have a burnished look to them. The unusual coin in the OP's photos is the non burnish finish bullion coin (perhaps from a later strike) - not the coin from the 25th Anniversary set. - IMO.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I'll report in, I have 4 on me and they all look like the one on the left. I've got more at home and will take a look laters...after my napimage
    Took a close look at all 5 bullion examples, as I said earlier in the post, they don't look like you average dinged-up tubed Eagles.
    They have that flat silvery burnished look, JMHO.
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    If you search ebay for 2011 bullion eagles...I see pics of some that look burnished and some that don't.
    Which is correct?
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • twosuntwosun Posts: 10 ✭✭
    All 5 of mine without the mint mark are burnished
  • MrBlusterMrBluster Posts: 320 ✭✭✭
    All my sets have the burnished finish on the no mint mark bullion coins.
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    The burnished UNCs are double struck like a proof giving them a noticeable difference in the fine details.
    I submit, from the picture posted, the bullion set coin has been struck twice.
    They also may have changed the dies more frequently for this special run.

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!

<< <i>The 118th thread with 25th in the title.
    not your typical tubed Eagles, very clean and hit free. >>

Well one of those threads was my "25th post giveaway" back in 3/2008 image

• coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The burnished UNCs are double struck like a proof giving them a noticeable difference in the fine details.
    I submit, from the picture posted, the bullion set coin has been struck twice.
    They also may have changed the dies more frequently for this special run.

HH >>

I wonder if someone will find a coin with rotation between the strikes? image

-Paul
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All five of my "bullion" eagles are burnished. In fact, when held next to the "W" burnished, the bullion ones have a more "burnished" look than the "W"s.
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In yesterday's CW, a Mint official, Tom Jurkowsky, reconfirmed that the bullion
    coin in the set was minted exclusively at San Francisco. He said the decision to
    needs to properly label this coin. >>

Mr Willis addressed this with a call to the US Mint, they said some were struck at San Fran and the others at West point. That is why they took the S off the grading labels for the non S ASE.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,

<< <i>

<< <i>In yesterday's CW, a Mint official, Tom Jurkowsky, reconfirmed that the bullion

Mr Willis addressed this with a call to the US Mint, they said some were struck at San Fran and the others at West point. That is why they took the S off the grading labels for the non S ASE. >>

Seems like depending on who you talk to at the Mint you get a different set of facts. Mr. Jurkowsky, who apparently just reconfirmed that all were exclusively from San Francisco, may have better information than the person(s) PCGS discussed the matter with?

• i have been thinking that the set contains a S mint marked coin and that S coin is the first silver eagle EVER struck at SF. Is that correct?

now we will see what happens with the bullion coin but its possible that the set contains 2 SF coins from the very first year of production.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry?

The name is LEE!

<< <i>

<< <i>

Mr Willis addressed this with a call to the US Mint, they said some were struck at San Fran and the others at West point. That is why they took the S off the grading labels for the non S ASE. >>

Seems like depending on who you talk to at the Mint you get a different set of facts. Mr. Jurkowsky, who apparently just reconfirmed that all were exclusively from San Francisco, may have better information than the person(s) PCGS discussed the matter with? >>

Tom Jurkowsky is the official US Mint Spokesperson. His statement was made on 11/11 while PCGS made their decision change on 11/10. I would take Tom's word as gospel since it's his name at stake.

The name is LEE!
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    But...IF they changed and put an S on the slab for the bullion...doesn't that make the set kind of weird?

a burnished coin with an s labeled s, and a burnished coin without an s labeled s

if the "bullion" and "uncirculated" are both burnished...what's the difference in the coins?
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file