Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

3rd 100,000 mintage coin in the 25th Anniversary set

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

That is pretty hard to see. I had to use 10x power to even make it out at all.

I have looked at some of my other years and do not see it .

Is this just going to be a marker to show that the coin came from the anniversary set?

I can not see any other value to the coin than that or am I missing something.
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is pretty hard to see. I had to use 10x power to even make it out at all.

I have looked at some of my other years and do not see it .

Is this just going to be a marker to show that the coin came from the anniversary set?

I can not see any other value to the coin than that or am I missing something. >>

The key to it will be the burnished finish and the marker will be the dent. That is if it all works out.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    Hi Derry, It's really not a ruffeld feather because they are all still together.............The dimple feather sanded would more describe this piece.............since I didn't come up with that I can't ask for donations...........but if anyone wanted to send 5 cents for every coin sold I would surely get the money to the local boy&girls clubimage..........
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    What do you think of this one?

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    That would be the almost dented versionimage
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    my 2006 reverse proof has the tail feather dimple.
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>my 2006 reverse proof has the tail feather dimple. >>

Back to square one! image

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

That's bad news... image
  • Options
    LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

That's bad news... image >>

Not really; That's the old style reverse. It would still be interesting though.

Also, it does still not deter from the current coins uniqueness.
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.
  • Options
    2011 coin with the 2006 reverse ruffeled feather........now that's an errorimage............do you think the mint is just messin with ya............maybe they have an office pool to bet on who discovered the dent first and when?
  • Options
    I give up on this one.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    2011/2006 reverse image
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picture?
  • Options
    KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you guys make of this......an NGC MS70 labeled 25th Anniversary (must be bullion - no mm) purchased back in April and it has dimple feather as well. I reviewed one of my 25th Anniversary set and the bullion w/o an S has dimple feather too.
    Photo attached taken w/ Dinolite, hopefully I attached the file correctly.
  • Options

<< <i>What do you guys make of this......an NGC MS70 labeled 25th Anniversary (must be bullion - no mm) purchased back in April and it has dimple feather as well. I reviewed one of my 25th Anniversary set and the bullion w/o an S has dimple feather too.
    Photo attached taken w/ Dinolite, hopefully I attached the file correctly. >>

Maybe it's just me but I don't see the dimple
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

That's bad news... image >>

Not really; That's the old style reverse. It would still be interesting though.

Also, it does still not deter from the current coins uniqueness. >>

I agree. The 25th Set bullion coin only needs to be uniformly different from the non-Set bullion coin to make the value jump.
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you guys make of this......an NGC MS70 labeled 25th Anniversary (must be bullion - no mm) purchased back in April and it has dimple feather as well. I reviewed one of my 25th Anniversary set and the bullion w/o an S has dimple feather too.

Although from the pic it is hard to see, I do see a depression there.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    Don't know how much this has been talked about, but the 2011-W uncirculated coin's 290K mintage is still ~170,000 lower than any other uncirculated ASE coin.
  • Options

<< <i>Don't know how much this has been talked about, but the 2011-W uncirculated coin's 290K mintage is still ~170,000 lower than any other uncirculated ASE coin. >>

I'm definitely paying attention to it. This may be heresy on this forum, but if ASE's are tomorrow's Morgans than the W coins are their CC equivalents. No doubt a few of you just laughed at that statement, but only time will tell image ...

Back on topic...Has anyone else found anything different on the bullion coin or heard any whispers from the graders that they can share image?
  • Options

<< <i>Don't know how much this has been talked about, but the 2011-W uncirculated coin's 290K mintage is still ~170,000 lower than any other uncirculated ASE coin. >>

Is that including the 100k from the sets???? If so that would be a winner, if not then it's still interesting but not a boink!
  • Options

<< <i>

Is that including the 100k from the sets???? If so that would be a winner, if not then it's still interesting but not a boink! >>

Yes, 190K sold separate from the sets.
  • Options
    Unfortunately I don't have a good camera to take picture with. Dimple/dent or not, just glad I was able to buy 5 sets from USMint. Don't collect much error coins, the only one I have is a plain edge Monroe still intact with the USMint Uncirculated Annual dollar set.
    Thanks for all comments
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

Picture? >>

<< <i>Unfortunately I don't have a good camera to take picture with. >>

i am unable to get close ups as well...

on my 2006P reverse proof, w/a 16X loupe, the dimple was well defined, better than the OP pictures. [someone else look at theirs and confirm-i only have 1]

ALL the other ASE years i looked at have the tapered feather tip, and some had very crisp edges.

doubtful this will make it more unique(=valuable) than it already is, but hopefully sufficent add the (S) back on the label and/or an identifier for those 2011 (S) already out there.
    i do not have a slabbed (S) to confirm this.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread sure got quiet. Has there been any further developments/expert opinions?

Here's an interesting ebay listing to watch: (no connection w/seller)

linky
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it my poor eyesight? My bullion (S) appears to have the same burnished look as the S mint maked one. Can't tell them appart. Did the Mint produce 100k bullion pieces with a burnished look?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>Is it my poor eyesight? My bullion (S) appears to have the same burnished look as the S mint maked one. Can't tell them appart. Did the Mint produce 100k bullion pieces with a burnished look? >>

I think that is the million dollar question.
  • Options
    LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread sure got quiet. Has there been any further developments/expert opinions?

linky >>

What in the heck? He's saying that it's found in "some" sets is BS. I haven't seen a confirmed set without it yet!
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This thread sure got quiet. Has there been any further developments/expert opinions?

linky >>

What in the heck? He's saying that it's found in "some" sets is BS. I haven't seen a confirmed set without it yet! >>

It's just marketing. image Get the buyer to believe it is something special.
  • Options
    "some"
    as in, he only looked at his sets... image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

linky >>

What in the heck? He's saying that it's found in "some" sets is BS. I haven't seen a confirmed set without it yet! >>

Would you prefer him to say "all sets" and then have people say "that's BS...he hasn't seen MY SET(S) yet!!!"???

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>Would you prefer him to say "all sets" and then have people say "that's BS...he hasn't seen MY SET(S) yet!!!"??? >>

Good point!!!
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I took a couple quick pics myself. One of my bullion sae in dansco and the other from the 25th. Same lighting on both coins.

• Options
    Sure looks different to me!!
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << The 25th Set bullion coin only needs to be uniformly different from the non-Set bullion coin to make the value jump. >>

It might not jump all that much. Remember the 2000-D prooflike Sacagawea dollar from the Millennium Set (mintage 75K)? Prices of $35 to $50 are typical, and one recently sold for less than $20.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

Have you noticed they misspelled "sliver" on both? image
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • Options
    Overdate - all it takes with these ASEs is an varietal difference. The "rev of" variety rings loud.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

With the 2006 W, 270K of the total mintage is tied up in anniversary sets(, silver and the 2 piece gold) Kinda ironic, but if we subtract out the anniv sets from the 290K, we would have almost an identical amount of both years in singles 190K give or take a few thousand. What impact if any would that have for the future of the 2011 W?
  • Options
    Seems like if the bullion pieces in the sets can be reliably distinguished from the regular bullion pieces, there should be a jump in value on those coins, granted the S and RP will command a much higher premium on them. I'm not sure if ASEs and Sac dollars are too comparable as far as an aftermarket for variety pieces goes.

The Ws are something to watch too.

All we need now is a variety on the proofs and these sets will be winners. image
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>

With the 2006 W, 270K of the total mintage is tied up in anniversary sets(, silver and the 2 piece gold) Kinda ironic, but if we subtract out the anniv sets from the 290K, we would have almost an identical amount of both years in singles 190K give or take a few thousand. What impact if any would that have for the future of the 2011 W? >>

I agree that this year's W has some potential but I think it is total mintage that will be the determining factor. Just because it is in a set doesn't remove it from the total numbers (since it can always be removed from the set.

But...don't forget that that the W has NOT sold out yet....they, most likely, have minted a quantity and they will remain on sale until they sell those coins or sales totally grind to a halt

Remember these??? I thought they were a great idea and ordered a bunch but I guess I was in the minority

• Options
    I have 20 of the 07 and 08 as well. Turns out they were a good deal after all.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Yes also have those sets. About 5 of each year.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes also have those sets. About 5 of each year. >>

i bought them also. got the 2008`s looking for the rev. of 2007.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    I have some of these, and have one in 2008 with a Monroe dollar plain edge still intact in the set
  • Options
    I have not broken the celophane on mine to check them for this error.
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 813 ✭✭✭
    I have a couple for each year unopened.

BIG QUESTION: Will they ever renew this offering ?
  • Options
    I ordered 8 of the 2008 dollar sets because at the time it was the only way to get the W SAE. I just sent the last SAE in from those sets along with a 2007 I had plus two more 2007 ASEs from sets I just bought. I'll have to go and look at what's left of the sets as I was not aware of an error coin in any of the 2008 sets.
    Remember, I'm pullen for ya; we're all in this together.---Red Green---
  • Options

I was not aware that they were in these sets until just recently either. I will open them up and look at them before I sell them though. In fact I will probably just spend the golden dollars.
  • Options
    The most important question that we need an answer for is whether or not you can tell definitively that the bullion coin is from the 25th set or not by simply looking at it. If graders have to rely on opening a sealed box from the mint, then that doesn't bode well for this coin as a variety in the future. However given the tail feather dimple combined with the ultra-satin finish hopefully it's determined that graders can certify the bullion coin from the set without having to open a sealed mint shipping carton.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file