Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official 1975 Topps Mini Thread

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For any set builders here, I have a lot of (16) PSA 8 75 minis available for sale. ALL cards are pack fresh, graded PSA 8 with no qualifiers and were
    pulled from wax packs by me personally and self-submitted to PSA! Price is $85 dlvd via pp gift option and includes priority mail shipping!

Included are the following cards:

#13 Locklear
    #170 Campaneris (tough card)
    #174 McBride
    #184 Orta
    #189 1951 MVPs (Berra & Campanella)
    #197 1959 MVPs (Fox & Banks)
    #203 1965 MVPs (Versalles & Mays)
    #208 1970 MVPs (Powell & Bench)
    #209 1971 MVPs (Blue & Torre)
    #214 Parker
    #394 Blanks
    #404 Sizemore
    #413 Pattin
    #522 Sutherland
    #551 Christenson (super tough card)
    #558 Roberts

Anyone interested, please feel free to PM me. Thanks!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Whatcha Think

Thoughts??
    Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • Options
    tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    I'm the guy sitting at #12 and seen this pop up, not a high end set, but if I had some extra "play" money around, would be an interesting one to pickup (and of course, sweeten up my set) and break out the rest...
    Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi All,

Just stumbled upon this thread as it's the first time I've been in the set registry forum. Forgive me if this was answered somewhere in the past 49 pages but why are some green/yellow and red/yellow minis considered 'naturally short"?
    Daniel
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    That is a nice set that has been around and worked on for years.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Daniel,

They were the top row on sheets and when you open packs, those combos are often found cut 1/8" short. Any other color combo found short is 99% likely to be trimmed. Even some of those shorts are trimmed as folks have taken advantage of the known issue and trimmed full sized cards.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭
    Hey Daniel,

+1 on what Jim said. If you look on page 7 of this thread, I posted three sheets showing red/yellow and green/yellow cards along the top row of the sheets. Incidentally, along the bottom row of those sheets are pink/yellow and tan/blue combos - ironically enough, these were commonly cut 1/16 to 1/8 inch long.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I do plan on sitting down and reading this whole thread when I have time. I also have noticed some of the cards are a little long, as indy has mentioned.
    Once again, some great knowledge on the CU boards!
    Daniel
  • Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Just wanted to share an upgrade to my Perez collection

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options

<< <i>Daniel,

They were the top row on sheets and when you open packs, those combos are often found cut 1/8" short. Any other color combo found short is 99% likely to be trimmed. Even some of those shorts are trimmed as folks have taken advantage of the known issue and trimmed full sized cards. >>

+1

The only minis that should naturally not "fill" the holder (if they are graded) are cards with green top and yellow bottom
    or red top and yellow bottom. To their credit, PSA has tightened up considerably on unnaturally "short" cards over the past
    few years.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    So where does the short Alou on the previous page fall on the sheet? Where are the green/yellows with the yellow line at the top positioned on the sheet?
    1975 Topps Minis, 1964 Topps
  • Options
    I do have Stargell (light green/dark green) in my PSA collection that is definitely short. I'm guessing this may be a questionable one.

I did go through some of this thread last night. I went through my 'long' cards and sure enough, they are mostly the blue/tan combinations, with one yellow/pink but also a tan/brown (Bob Gibson 1974 highlights). For the long cards, does PSA just labe them 'miscut'? Do they even fit in a mini holder?
    Daniel
  • Options
    Longs will grade, they just go in a baggie in a full sized holder. If your stargell is short, it is more than likely an issue.

Alou is a very common short. The entire case I broke had stunning, centered Alous that were short. Now and then a short one gets slabbed, but for the most part, you can get those past anymore.

1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    On the issue of shorts, I'd like to reopen the discussion to a new thought. We have been knocking this issue around for years and there are strong feelings all around. I have been on the side of slabbing known shorts. It is hard not to feel that way when you spend 5 figures on a case and break it and many cards are short. You KNOW they are good. That said, a fellow mini collector has convinced me of a better solution:

Instead of an all or nothing approach to shorts, or worse, an inconsistant one, grade all shorts going forward (of valid combos only) as "MC", so a pack fresh, centered stunner would be a psa 9 MC. The qualification is actually valid as the sheet was not cut accurately and would take away any incentive for someone to create a short as well.

Thoughts?
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    I think the MC grade is a great solution. It would, however, make the short cards from a value standpoint, basically not worth the grading fee......which in my opinion, is where they should be.
  • Options
    So where does the short Alou on the previous page fall on the sheet? Where are the green/yellows with the yellow line at the top positioned on the sheet?

I gave a link to the Alou sheet on page 7 (November 12, 2011). The Alou is the first card on the top row of its sheet. I'm not sure where the yellow line at the top of some green/yellows comes from (e.g., Alou, Schmidt, Bonds). Perhaps it comes from the preceding sheet. You'll notice that the bottom row of the Alou sheet is pink/yellow, so some of that yellow from the bottom row may end up on the top row of the next sheet if the sheet isn't cut correctly. I'm just speculating, however.
  • Options
    I don't see the Alou on one of those sheets. That first card is the one of the toughest of all......#647 Claudell Washington.
  • Options
    Alou Sheet

Here's the link.
  • Options
    There are two sheets shown on that web page, one of which has the Alou.
  • Options
    I like the 9MC idea for known shorts, as I don't recall offhand such an issue chronically affecting a set like it does the 75 minis.

• Options
    grade all shorts going forward (of valid combos only) as "MC", so a pack fresh, centered stunner would be a psa 9 MC. The qualification is actually valid as the sheet was not cut accurately and would take away any incentive for someone to create a short as well.

I've given it some thought and think the idea is better than the way things are now in that at least the known, legit shorts would be holdered. However, when I think of a miscut (MC) card, I think of a badly off-center one that has no eye appeal and may even have part of another card showing on it. A naturally short Mini that is well centered and pack fresh would still have eye appeal. So, I would rather see those graded without a qualifier, but perhaps with an established min size for those combos (red/yellow and green/yellow) lower than the other combos AND a grade capped at an 8, sort of like the way a card with even the slightest bit of snow is capped at a straight 7 when "no qualifiers" are requested. With a cap at an 8, there would remain somewhat of an incentive to artificially create a short, but certainly not to the extent that would occur if such a short could achieve a 9 or 10. But at least with a grade of 8, a card with stunning eye appeal and everything else going for it except for being factory short would be given due credit, imo.
  • Options
    As I mentioned previously, grade the short green/yellow, red/yellow mini's. Graders would be taking into consideration the nuance of the set. The green/yellow, red/yellow come out of the wax packs like that, it's a known fact! It's up to the graders to weed out any improper cuts on the cards! These naturally short cards are commonly plagued with so many other print defects anyway. That's why pops are still very low on most of these cards. Even when PSA wasn't catching all the MC cards, these green/yellow, red/yellow cards were nearly impossible to find in a condition worth grading.
  • Options
    I think indy has a great idea with PSA just adjusting the minimum size requirements for those particular cards.
    Daniel
  • Options
    Well, if they ever do decide to change the standard and beginm grading naturally short cards, I have a lot of cards to round up for grading! image

• Options
    IM BACK!!
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    Welcome back, Henry!

• Options
    Thanks Tim! ...been doing a lot of homework over the past 6 months while in detention image I have tons to talk about...
    To start, let me reveal myself as the instigator of the MC resolution.
    Here is the definition of MC according to PSA: MC (Miscut): "Cards that exhibit an atypical cut for the issue or ones that contain partial portions of more than one card will be designated "MC."
    No one can argue at this point that natural shorts were the intended size of the card as there are plenty of full-sized red/yellow green/yellow. Therefore, these cards are clearly atypical no matter how beautiful the miscut card is. My solution is the fairest way to handle this issue and finally put it to bed.
    Also, this is needed in defense of PSA because some collectors have taken advantage of the graciousness that PSA has had in allowing a free voucher for min size required to repeatedly send back the same cards hoping to sneak through a short rare card to make a couple bucks.
    At some point we (mini devotees) need to take ownership of this beautiful set and do the right thing. I have done my part to the tune of a major adjustment soon in the pop report and I have nothing but praise for how Joe has handled this situation.
  • Options
    Finally, I am writing a book on collecting PSA graded cards. I have basically finished the 1970s decade (except for a couple variations in 73 and a few cards in 77, 78, 79 that I have raw examples of). I have learned much that I would like to share with other collectors. The interesting piece of news for us mini fanatics is that I am going to make a case that there needs to be one more classic set (in addition to the T206, 33 goudy, and the 52 topps). We have no classic set to capture the next couple generation of stars. I have two finalists: 1971 topps and 1975 topps Mini (the 1975 regular is too common IMO, look at the pop reports)...I will lay a case for each and it should be an interesting read image What do you all think?
  • Options
    Welcome back Henry! It's been way too long since you've been away. I look forward to your posts!
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome back Henry! It's been way too long since you've been away. I look forward to your posts! >>

Ditto!
  • Options
    Thanks Todd and Indy. One of my homework projects was to go on VCP and my database and collect JPGs of EVERY mini psa9 sold with a pop of around 20 or lower! (I have them all stored on my computer and will make them available to this group soon I hope, this took a disturbingly long time). My JPG list will be much more comprehensive when I finally have time to go through my own 9s. I have some incredible data and information regarding listed versus real pops. I'll share as much of this as I can over the next week, however busy at work this week and with kids, but it might reveal why I have been a consistent buyer of high quality 9s for several years. For example, Winfield has a 9 pop of 23. I have discovered 12 different JPGS of the card. Two will be destroyed soon - 4 others are severely short and 6 fill the holder. So out of 12 examples 1/2 are short. Some cards are mostly legit while others are plagued like a sailor in a whorehouse. I have not seen an example of a short #75 Simmons 9 pop=16 (9 identified all nice), while I have only seen 3 full sized Cosgrove 9s (one other is in my collection with no JPG so 4 in actuality) #96 pop=12, with 2 to be destroyed and 2 more short; therefore out of 12 cards: 4 good 4 no good 4 unknown. What is the real pop and value of this card? Should lead to some interesting discussion image
  • Options
    4 good 4 no good 4 unknown

I have one of the Cosgrove 9's in my set that I subbed myself. There's a photo of it in my registry set. It's a full-sized card I found raw at a card show a year and a half or so ago. So, make that 3 unknowns and 5 goods.

Edited to say that my set is: Nick's 1975 Topps Mini Collection. There are others in my set that I subbed that fit the given low pop 9 definition to help fill in some holes in your data set including: 215 Valentine, 415 Hiller, 532 Thomas, and 643 Strom. All are full size. Gosh, I never realized these were considered rare.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    That whole set posted on eBay the other day sold for $7877. That seems like a pretty good deal for the buyer.
  • Options
    7877 was a great price because most of the 8s have been deflated downward on VCP but I dont know if the market is buying at fair value yet.

In regards to the Cosgrove, that is what makes collecting this set so fun and interesting, and not for the novice...
    The Cosgrove is totally under the radar and has the following pop (35-12-3). I'm pretty sure that most of the 10s are bad. So the good 9s have a ceiling of 8. Now compare that to the 638 Cubs which is at (56-8-0) but I know that 6 of the certs are good 1 bad and 1 unknown...the cosgrove goes for around 33.00 and the Cubs around 183.00. Therefore, when a cosgrove 9 comes up, I just cant help myself image
  • Options
    Now to explain why I have been so bullish on high quality mini 9s...compare those numbers with the other sets in the 70s. Comparable low pop 9s in the 1973 set sell for between 300-450. In the 1976 set (which is not exactly a popular or widely collected set) the Torre 585 (pop 10) is over 400 and the Briggs 373 which is a pop 7 has sold for 1300.00 and 500plus recently. What has been happening is that a card like a Cosgrove 9 has been coming up for auction and peeps have been bidding based on VCP which is an exceptionally inaccurate guide for mini prices. I figure once all the issues about shorts slowly get resolved and the final parts of the Conlon collection get ripped by itchy fingers people will see that the Minis are still the 2nd hardest set to put together in high grade behind the 1971s.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That whole set posted on eBay the other day sold for $7877. That seems like a pretty good deal for the buyer. >>

I was pretty happy with the purchase. image
  • Options
    Welcome back Henry! This thread has sorely missed your friendly banter image Best of luck with that book. I'm still waiting for Matty C. to write a scene in one of his movie works that includes some reference to 75 Topps Mini's..... lol.

For the record, my #96 Cosgrove PSA 10 and PSA 9 are rock solid (without question) examples! My #61 Winfield PSA 9 is rock solid as well, and has no print defect on the upper left side like many seem to have.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks Todd and Indy. One of my homework projects was to go on VCP and my database and collect JPGs of EVERY mini psa9 sold with a pop of around 20 or lower! (I have them all stored on my computer and will make them available to this group soon I hope, this took a disturbingly long time). My JPG list will be much more comprehensive when I finally have time to go through my own 9s. I have some incredible data and information regarding listed versus real pops. I'll share as much of this as I can over the next week, however busy at work this week and with kids, but it might reveal why I have been a consistent buyer of high quality 9s for several years. For example, Winfield has a 9 pop of 23. I have discovered 12 different JPGS of the card. Two will be destroyed soon - 4 others are severely short and 6 fill the holder. So out of 12 examples 1/2 are short. Some cards are mostly legit while others are plagued like a sailor in a whorehouse. I have not seen an example of a short #75 Simmons 9 pop=16 (9 identified all nice), while I have only seen 3 full sized Cosgrove 9s (one other is in my collection with no JPG so 4 in actuality) #96 pop=12, with 2 to be destroyed and 2 more short; therefore out of 12 cards: 4 good 4 no good 4 unknown. What is the real pop and value of this card? Should lead to some interesting discussion image >>

Some great insight there, Henry, very interesting! I have a PSA 9 Cosgrove that I pulled straight from a pack and self-submitted to PSA, which I have done for about 2/3 of the cards in my set (also have a pack fresh PSA 9 Cubs #638, too) . In fact, I don't have a single card in my set that doesn't measure up to its grade.

I like the idea of adding the 75 mini set as a classic set of the 1970s, too, though I expect 1971 would probably win out.

• Options
    Welcome back Henry, been too long away here.

MM, there is one gigantic hole in your argument: The pops are not low because it is hard to get a sharp, centered and defect free card on these combos, though that plays a part. The pops are low because by and large shorts have not been graded. For arguments sake, if it was decided that here on out any green or red yellow that measures 3 1/8 will be slabbed, I would personally explode the population report with at least 100 8, 9 and even 10 worthy cards and that is just me. There are tons of nice, but short product out there. It has just either been rejected or never subbed. It is the inconsistency that makes me and others nuts. Grade em all, or better yet, dont grade em at all going forward. It still leaves open the possibility of someone trimming a full sized card into a sharp short.

As long as we are on Cosgrove, I think we have them all accounted for now:
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    nice buy on the set. I seriously considered picking it up, but decided to buy the graded cello box for fun instead.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Hey Jim, great to be back. I was looking at that cello lot, but I swore off unopened Minis after my disastrous case break (detailed in excruciating detail in the previous forum). Isn't this interesting? One notice regarding a 2nd or 3rd tier card (Cosgrove) and we can basically account for almost every high grade card in existence in one day! I will have to check to see if your card Jim is one I already have the cert-jpg of. Regardless, I just dont think you can ever do that with most other sets...and that is AFTER most of the Conlon collection has been liquidated and assimilated into the population. As everyone here knows I am not a trader or dealer and have never sold a single mini i have purchased - so this is not an attempt to pump up prices, as Indy noted the collector base for this set is also substantially smaller...but the great thing about it is we can buy relatively scarce cards at very affordable prices compared to other sets.
  • Options

<< <i>nice buy on the set. I seriously considered picking it up, but decided to buy the graded cello box for fun instead. >>

I was wondering who bought the box. Congrats on the pickup! I was considering it as the per pack price ($100) was ver reasonable. I'm fairly certain the box is not originally intact, though, but a collection of 24 graded packs that Bob put together. I remember him listing that mini Ryan cello on a few occasions.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Razor sharp cards, Henry! Did you pick those up from Pristine Paper?

• Options
    wow....pp or did your sub pop henry?

im sure its just 24 packs Tim and bought it under that assumption. no intention of opening it as i despise cellos, just saw it s a neat addition to my set and wax case at a number i dont see being doable in a year or two.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>wow....pp or did your sub pop henry?

im sure its just 24 packs Tim and bought it under that assumption. no intention of opening it as i despise cellos, just saw it s a neat addition to my set and wax case at a number i dont see being doable in a year or two. >>

You can't go wrong buying vintage unopened--prices keep climbing as product keeps getting scarcer!

• Options
    Those two tens and another (Garr 550) are why I didnt bid on that registry set - I dunno if I want to say how much they cost me but it hurt...I couldn't get 100% providence on where or who (bought them from a person I trust working with a partner) - but he said the guy busted a waxbox and got lucky. He did so well with this submission (HUGE understatement emodicon) that he is sending more in. I have never seen these two cards centered like this. The Brewer only has 2-4 legit 9s (2 of them are short). The Singleton has that horrible 10, and one solid 9 (the other is cut). They should be in route - cant want to get them. I wanted to figure out how to use photobucket and figured these would be nice introductions
  • Options
    I had a very small sub pop this morning. I had 4 free vouchers that I used as a learning experience. I'm pleased.

NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 73 J.R. RICHARD Card
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 649 JACK HEIDEMANN Card
    N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 53 DAVE GIUSTI Card
    NEAR MINT 7 1975 TOPPS MINI 127 GLENN BORGMANN Card

What I've suspected for awhile now and confirmed for myself with this sub is that a very tiny amount of snow is acceptable for an 8 if every other card attribute is solid 8 or 9 (centering, corners, edges, and surface). This is the case with the Heidemann; it's beautiful except for a tiny bit of snow. Without the snow, I think it would get a 9. A funny story behind this card is that I saw it at card show last July, but passed it up because of the very light snow. I saw it again at a show in October, and couldn't pass it up. I'm glad I picked it up the second time around. Anyway, the other thing I noticed is that if there is a small amount of snow AND any ONE of the other attributes is borderline 7/8, the card gets a 7. The example here is the Borgmann with very light snow and borderline 7/8 top to bottom centering. If anyone else has had a similar experience, please post it.

The Giusti measures about 79.8 mm. No surprise there with the N6. That card will become a permanent member of my raw collection. The J.R. I subbed simply because I liked that particular card. No chance at a 9 but a solid 8.

I have another 11-card sub in the cue. It includes a Blyleven, Carroll, Bando, Maximino Leon, Milbourne, and Bill Russell that I think all have decent shots at 8's. They are all full size. Stay tuned! I need these in 8's for my set.
  • Options
    Very nice cards Henry! That Brewer has incredible centering. That one is a real sleeper in 8 and above. It almost always has terrible top/bottom centering. I don't think I've ever seen one that well centered. Congrats!