Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official 1975 Topps Mini Thread

Comments

• Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭
    More 9's and 10's listed tonight. I'm probably stating the obvious, but now seems to be a good time to sub some mini's that one thinks would grade at the 9 level.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as it's tempting to sub a bunch of cards based on these grades, I would not assume that grading will be any easier as a result.

I do have quite a few stacked up, primarily from a full mini box I ripped a couple of weeks back, which came from one of the better REA case lots.

Edit to add: The 9s listed tonight are regular size 75s.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As much as it's tempting to sub a bunch of cards based on these grades, I would not assume that grading will be any easier as a result.

I do have quite a few stacked up, primarily from a full mini box I ripped a couple of weeks back, which came from one of the better REA case lots.

Edit to add: The 9s listed tonight are regular size 75s. >>

I just got back a bunch of pack fresh minis last month and I did not get a plethora of 9s and 10s. I did get some 9s and a few 10s but mostly 8s. I would think Pristine Paper either subbed a review order or specified a minimum grade. However, don't they still assign a cert number for cards that don't make the min grade? If so, that wouldn't explain the consecutive cert numbers.

Also, I'll add a shameless plug for my eBay auctions. I have a few lower pop 75 mini 9s and 10s listed.
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Neither explanation works.

Reviews keep their old cert and mins that dont meet do get a cert number.

I'm stumped.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Neither explanation works.

Reviews keep their old cert and mins that dont meet do get a cert number.

I'm stumped. >>

Agreed. No matter how stingy I am with my screening of pack fresh material, I can't approach results like that. I should ask him what his secret is.
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone here interested in buying a 1975 Topps Mini Wax Pack PSA 7? I may be interested in selling it. PM with any interests or offers. Thanks!
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    MiniMasterMiniMaster Posts: 505 ✭✭
    Pretty amazing submission. How many boxes would have to be crack in order to find close to 30 PSA 10's? The fact that the dealer got them in one submission really rattles my imagination? No doubt the 9's will show up after the sale of these 10's image
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    bulk submitters only get certs for cards that meet the minimum. the cards are not entered until after graded. once graded they enter the cards in order of grade. several years ago I was told something to this affect by a big time submitter who I was selling donruss golf cases to.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>bulk submitters only get certs for cards that meet the minimum. the cards are not entered until after graded. once graded they enter the cards in order of grade. several years ago I was told something to this affect by a big time submitter who I was selling donruss golf cases to. >>

I thought cards were assigned a number BEFORE grading. PPaper has some unreal grades.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Tonight the avg. price for a 1 of 1 PSA 10 Mini was $989 and some change! A good night for Pristine Paper on the Bay. The "A's Do It Again" #466 PSA 10 card went for $1,400. Wow! The #445 Felix Millan PSA 10 went for $1,050. I'm feeling much better about the $317 I paid for the very nice looking PSA 9 example I have image The other PSA 10 1 of 1's went for $921, $910, $830, and $825. All considered commons per the weightings. The 1 of 3 WS Game #1 #461 card sold for $787.

The 25 or so PSA 10's listed sold for just over $15K. That about covers the cost of one of the Conlon Cases image lol.
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Damn those are STRONG prices. Incredibly strong.

I'm out of the commons/set of course, but still waiting for a true PSA 10 of HOFers like Winfield, Schmidt, Ryan #500, or Aaron 660.

I think a couple of the Ryan #500 PSA 9s out there could actually pull 10s if cracked re-subbed many times, but who'd want to chance damaging such a tough card that's already nasty in a 9 holder, especially when we've discussed (with photos) how there are some dog 9s out there that make the pop of true 9s of that card very low.

Glad to see all is healthy in the world of minis.

I wonder where the minis rank in terms of sets with the lowest pop of PSA 10 HOFers? Gotta be up there with 1971 I'd think.
  • Options
    Mr. Iskowitz is becoming a rich man indeed. I was just browsing ebay and wanted to share some thoughts. It is mind boggling the amount of Psa 10s that he is hitting. Cant say I have ever seen anything like it.
  • Options
    There was a thread a few days ago that was pretty compelling; it spoke of past purchases of uncut sheets... Not minis but other years that recently hit the bay. For some reason I think it got deaded, as when I went back to read it, it was gone.
  • Options

<< <i>There was a thread a few days ago that was pretty compelling; it spoke of past purchases of uncut sheets... Not minis but other years that recently hit the bay. For some reason I think it got deaded, as when I went back to read it, it was gone. >>

That thread was indeed poofed...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Thx grote I was curious; had a bunch of mtgs and when came back to read-- gone. But that says something in and of itself then, I suppose.
  • Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    well guys, after a heart attack and triple bypass and a month in hospital/rehab, i am able to say i now have a complete set of graded minis too!!!!!! one of the two cards i needed i bought from Jim (lolich) and my enzo hernandez has returned from psa....go dodgers fan (tom) let me add my 20 cards to his order.. even though consisting of 7/8's and nowhere in you guys ranks, am still proud of my set.....ivan
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options
    Ivan,

Huge grats on finishing your set and more importantly, well wishes for your improving health. Take care of yourself.

Jim

1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go Ivan!!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Great job, Ivan! A PSA 7 and 8 Mini set is a very nice set.

Nick
  • Options
    Congrats, Ivan! Good health to you going forward as well! image

• Options
    Ivan, as a fellow 75 Topps Mini Collector I say congrats on the completion of your graded set! Without question your health is #1 and I wish you well in your recovery! Enjoy your set as well image
  • Options
    Congrats on your set. Up to almost 70% completed on mine.
    1975 Topps Minis, 1964 Topps
  • Options
    thanks for your support and warm wishes...of course also thanks to all the traders/sellers who made this possible..ivan
  • Options
    i bought the graded set that was on ebay today and will be breaking it up over the next month or so. if anyone needs anything special, let me know.

amazing how long wait times are right now.... my 100 card review order as been there over three months now...also have more recent 600+ card order in ith a few dozen minis.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Jim, WOW, that set is a blazer at a blazing price..congrats on that one...
  • Options
    Jim,

Rather surprising that set lasted that long on the bay at that price?? Sweet deal for anything under $20K image
  • Options
    beware of the bvg 9 nolan ryan on the bay at the moment. it is both short and thin, yet it has a lot of interest
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Well, there hasn't been too much happening here lately in this awesome thread, so I thought I'd bump it up. I'm down to one card left on my registry set - #64 Dave Chalk. A small sub of mine (5 cards) which included the Chalk was just logged today, so the wait continues. I subbed the cards using free registry submissions from my Mini Team Sets which are at least 90 percent complete. I've had three previous free registry submissions over the last 5 or 6 months, and the average wait times for me on those has been 2-3 business days to have them logged and around 20 calendar days for the grades to pop. These are tiny subs of 1 to 6 cards, so perhaps that's why they popped fairly quickly compared to the experiences I've read about others on the board. I really can't complain! Incidentally, to keep the costs down on submitting so few cards at a time, I opened up a FED EX account and have had the cards shipped back to me FED EX Ground. It costs around 8 bucks to ship 1-6 graded cards back to me and takes about 7 days (USPS takes about 3-4 days). I'm very pleased with using FED EX instead of the USPS. Anyhow, I'm hoping for an 8 on the Chalk, but a 7 will do for now. I'm also working on rebuilding my raw set which I hit fairly hard to build my registry set. I think I'm up to around 550 of 660 cards. It's nice to take break with that raw set and not have to worry so much about PD, OC, tiny wrinkles, surface bubbles, and all the other technicalities out there.

I'm curious to hear what others are doing with the Mini's. Anybody building raw sets in addition to graded ones?
  • Options
    I still have quite a few minis (along with other pack fresh 70s cards) to sub from the wax box I ripped but the specials haven't really been that special of late so I'm sending them in in
    batches instead. I have about 150 cards there now. Also just got back my pack sub results and was pleased a Mint 9 on a mini cello with a nicely centered Carew on top and Bench
    on back.

6 1 20018324 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS BASEBALL MINI WAX PACK WAX PACK NOLAN RYAN-BACK Pack
    7 1 20018325 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS BASEBALL MINI WAX PACK WAX PACK MIKE SCHMIDT-BACK Pack
    20 1 20018340 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS BASEBALL MINI CELLO PACK CELLO PACK ROD CAREW-TOP/JOHNNY BENCH-BACK Pack

• Options
    I've been expanding quite a bit into other sets, primarily 1971, which was always my favorite growing up (I didn't see my first mini before I was 20 or so).

I've been on an extended severance for a while and have used a lot of the time to buy and sell cards. It has actually gone pretty well, so a big thanks to the folks here who have helped make that possible.

I've had a 100 card review in since around April 1. It didnt get logged until April 23. Behind that, I have a 623 card order in since late June as well. Probably only about 40 or so minis there. I have another 600++ ready to go in with a bigger and better representation of minis. I'll probably bring them by hand to the Westchester show in a few weeks.

I am well into the breaking the set I bought a few weeks ago and while I am definately not going to make any kind of killing on it, the cards have sold incredibly well, so again, thank you.

As to raw, free time is a boon to set making so I have completed three nice mini sets and started a fourth. At some point I will sell one or two of them.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Just scanned and wanted to share a pic of the Carew/Bench mini cello pack:

• Options
    Grote, congrats on some really nice packs, especially the Carew/Bench cello. I'm always amazed that packs in that great a shape still exist, and that collectors had the foresight to save them back in the day. MiniDuff, congrats on the sales. I noticed how fast you've been selling those; it's really good to see the sustained interest in the set. Also, thanks for the sales to me on some of them. It's really helping to fast track me toward completion of my set.
  • Options
    I stage my ebay inventory out of 1600 ct boxes, which hold roughly 150~ cards per, packed well. On Saturday morning I had four of them full of minis. Right now I am down to less than two, in less than four days. There remains a ton of interest and as I have pointed out in the past, much of it is to non registry sets. There are a bunch of folks who have amazing stuff that we dont see publicly.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>Grote, congrats on some really nice packs, especially the Carew/Bench cello. I'm always amazed that packs in that great a shape still exist, and that collectors had the foresight to save them back in the day. MiniDuff, congrats on the sales. I noticed how fast you've been selling those; it's really good to see the sustained interest in the set. Also, thanks for the sales to me on some of them. It's really helping to fast track me toward completion of my set. >>

Thanks, Nick! I am primarily an unopened collector who likes to open some (but not all, lol) packs...I've been putting together the 75 mini set for years now and am
    about 70% of the way there and I'd estimate that at about 3/4 of the cards in my set were self-submitted cards I personally pulled from unopened packs, which
    is always my goal or benchmark with any of the 70s sets I'm putting together.

• Options
    DakilloDakillo Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Wasn't sure a diamond cut mini could achieve Gem status, but color me incorrect.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251121294283?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
  • Options
    Judging from the cert #, that card was sold originally by 4SC..

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Okay, what's a diamond cut?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options

<< <i>Okay, what's a diamond cut? >>

Diamond cut is where the image within the borders of the card is tilted so that the image appears as a diamond shape instead of a rectangle.

• Options
    I'm too lazy to read all threads to see if somebody mentioned this already, but...

The reason 75 mini's have only a slight higher value than the regular is the amount of unopened product. You see Michigan was one of the states the minis were released. Michigan was also one of the few areas that actually had atleast one baseball card deal in each big city as early as the 70's. Heck I recall going to one in Lansing with my dad in the early 80's that had a bunch of T-206s in those old school binders, and why not the more commons cards were only worth a couple bucks each back then.
  • Options
    Welcome jtdeible! I think the reason you mention is part of the reason why, generally speaking, the Mini's don't sell for much more than the regular 75's, at least at the higher grades. Another reason may be that the limited area of distribution meant fewer individuals collected them as kids back in 75, so there are fewer individuals that collect it today for nostalgic reasons compared to the regular size 75's. The more limited supply is balanced out by the more limited demand.

Just my two cents. Happy collecting!
  • Options
    Dakillo,

I'm with ya on your assessment of the PSA 10 (diamond cut) #1 Aaron HL 75 Mini.
    After seeing the example that sold recently.... I'm of the opinion the PSA 10 pop should be 3?
  • Options
    Whoops! Damn these summer days when counting down ebay auctions becomes such a low priority!

The latest slew of nine Gem 10's by Pristine Paper were just stolen for an average cost of about $60/card. Pretty sure I would have skipped the family BBQ to get in on that action. Here are some jaw droppers:

#293 Dick Sharon (POP 1!!!) $ 127.50
    #309 Stolen Base/Lou Brock (pop 2) $62.59
    #367 Craig Robinson (pop 2) $ 51.01
    #455 Don Wilson (pop 2) $ 51.01
    #424 John Lowenstein (pop 5) $ 51.00
    #639 Steve Kline (pop 3) $ 57.00

Just a couple of months back, all of these prices would have had the decimal shifted one place to the right. Excuse me...I have to go get sick again.

• Options

<< <i>Whoops! Damn these summer days when counting down ebay auctions becomes such a low priority!

The latest slew of nine Gem 10's by Pristine Paper were just stolen for an average cost of about $60/card. Pretty sure I would have skipped the family BBQ to get in on that action. Here are some jaw droppers:

#293 Dick Sharon (POP 1!!!) $ 127.50
    #309 Stolen Base/Lou Brock (pop 2) $62.59
    #367 Craig Robinson (pop 2) $ 51.01
    #455 Don Wilson (pop 2) $ 51.01
    #424 John Lowenstein (pop 5) $ 51.00
    #639 Steve Kline (pop 3) $ 57.00

Just a couple of months back, all of these prices would have had the decimal shifted one place to the right. Excuse me...I have to go get sick again. >>

I think there may be some underlying reasons for those figures..

• Options
    Had poppage tonight on a large order from June. Overall, I am very happy with the order, particularly close to 300 1971s which landed a half dozen 9s, a bunch of 8.5 and a ton of 8s. Also hit 6 85 Fleer Puckett PSA 10s among others. I did have some serious comedy, which I will obviously resub. I bought 4 87 fleer BB packs from BBCE and they came out nice. I even pulled a jordan. I graded a dozen or so and all were 9s and 10s, save the jordan, evid trim...sighs. The only area of the order I got beat up on and I find it really curious, was the minis. We've seen a bunch of cards that aren't quite snug graded lightly, so I was pretty surpsrised overall (thrilled however with the 5 Ryan, 229 Foote and 304 Pirates in 9, some nice 8s too) The lions share of min size came from a bulk 1000+ card lot I picked up on ebay:

454 1 20359967 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 5 '74 HIGHLIGHTS NOLAN RYAN Card
    455 1 20359968 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 26 DAVE McNALLY Card
    456 1 20359969 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 43 CLEON JONES Card
    457 1 20359970 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 45 JOE RUDI Card
    458 1 20359971 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 45 JOE RUDI Card
    459 1 20359972 NEAR MINT 7 1975 TOPPS MINI 50 BROOKS ROBINSON Card
    460 1 20359973 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 53 DAVE GIUSTI Card
    461 1 20359974 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 94 JIM LONBORG Card
    462 1 20359975 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 94 JIM LONBORG Card
    463 1 20359976 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 94 JIM LONBORG Card
    464 1 20359977 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 94 JIM LONBORG Card
    465 1 20359978 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 94 JIM LONBORG Card
    466 1 20359979 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 143 CLIFF JOHNSON Card
    467 1 20359980 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 166 WOODIE FRYMAN Card
    468 1 20359981 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 168 BILL GREIF Card
    469 1 20359982 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1975 TOPPS MINI 193 1955-MVP'S Y.BERRA/R.CAMPANELLA Card
    470 1 20359983 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 210 1972 MVP'S R.ALLEN/J.BENCH Card
    471 1 20359984 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 219 ED HERRMANN Card
    472 1 20359985 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 229 BARRY FOOTE Card
    473 1 20359986 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 264 JOHN MILNER Card
    474 1 20359987 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 264 JOHN MILNER Card
    475 1 20359988 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 264 JOHN MILNER Card
    476 1 20359989 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 264 JOHN MILNER Card
    477 1 20359990 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 264 JOHN MILNER Card
    478 1 20359991 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 264 JOHN MILNER Card
    479 1 20359992 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 277 FRANK TAVERAS Card
    480 1 20359993 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 277 FRANK TAVERAS Card
    481 1 20359994 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 293 DICK SHARON Card
    482 1 20359995 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 302 RICK BURLESON Card
    483 1 20359996 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 302 RICK BURLESON Card
    484 1 20359997 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 304 PIRATES TEAM DANNY MURTAUGH, MGR. Card
    485 1 20359998 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 330 MIKE MARSHALL Card
    486 1 20359999 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 330 MIKE MARSHALL Card
    487 1 20360000 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 330 MIKE MARSHALL Card
    488 1 20360001 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 380 SAL BANDO Card
    489 1 20360002 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 380 SAL BANDO Card
    490 1 20360003 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 401 MIKE WALLACE Card
    491 1 20360004 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 402 BOB TOLAN Card
    492 1 20360005 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 440 ANDY MESSERSMITH Card
    493 1 20360006 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 440 ANDY MESSERSMITH Card
    494 1 20360007 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 440 ANDY MESSERSMITH Card
    495 1 20360008 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 474 LUKE WALKER Card
    496 1 20360009 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 564 TOMMY DAVIS Card
    497 1 20360010 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1975 TOPPS MINI 603 LEW KRAUSSE Card
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad they were able to holder that last Lew Krausse for you though image

Man, that is a LOT of min size! Hopefully you'll do better in the voucher round of our game!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Does anyone know who's PSA 9/10 set is hitting the bay right now?
  • Options
    the list of possibilities is verrry short....

beuller? beuller?

1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    That is one mammoth list of no reserve auctions!!

• Options
    Paul,

As someone who knows this set very well, and still collects high-grade mini HOFers, I think the low pop PSA 9 cards are as if not more impressive than that slew of 10s. The Fred Stanley card fairly recently sold for around $1000.

Gorgeous set overall; so many full size examples worthy of the grade. One of the very nicest I've ever seen.

Curious to see if the cadre of high-grade players in this set has shrunk to the point where the prices will drop. When there were say seven guys for cards of < 7 pop it was a bidding war and seller's dream. I wonder if the buyers will land some great deals here on some rare cards.

Bummed there are no star 10s listed for me to chase!
  • Options
    Wow...when was the last time there were nearly 2000 graded mini listings on the bay?