Home Sports Talk
Options

The 2011 Boston Red Sox

Comments

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    just about to start

WOW 3 errors by Scutaro in one inning..they only charged him with one, only two let runners on, both scored

and lackey blows
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a win today despite the toad giving up 3 in the 1st.

I do hereby assign the name "Lackey the Toad" from hence forth and forever more...even if he pitches a no-no, his name will not change. One can only hope he disappears in due time.

Beckett and ESPN Sunday night at 8PM...then off to the norioles to inflict more pain.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I'm afraid it is going to take 3 1/2 more years before he disappears.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    too bad Josh Reddick bats lefthanded. I think the Sox leadership will consider that to be a bad thing and seek a replacement for JD Blew that bats from the right side. Reddick has been way better than expected this year and would seem a natural fit for the opening in RF next year.
  • Options

Why wait till next year?

I would put him in there now and see how he works out.

It could not be any worse than having Drew out there who really needs more bench time.
  • Options

<< <i>Why wait till next year?

It could not be any worse than having Drew out there who really needs more bench time. >>

we're talking Francoma here, who is loyal to even the worst of players
  • Options
    I think Reddick is great, in fact I keep looking at his average, and even though he has limited at bats, the kid is close to 400 with power! Nice three pitch K of Drew yesterday with bases loaded, least he swung once.
  • Options

That was quite a game last night. I was starting to get tired but stayed up through it all. Now I am wide awake and cant sleep.
  • Options
    I couldn't take it any longer and had to shut off the television in the middle of the fifteenth inning. Spectacular fielding and pitching by both sides.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Why wait till next year?

It could not be any worse than having Drew out there who really needs more bench time. >>

we're talking Francoma here, who is loyal to even the worst of players >>

I agree that every manager makes some moves that we scratch are head. But he is by far the best manager we have ever had and his success is more positive than negative.
  • Options
    Quite the game last night.... I'll be at Camden Yards tonight to see Wakefield pitch.
  • Options

I finally wole up this morning after watching the game and not being able to sleep afterward and catching my cat who jumped through the

screen after seeing another cat outside.

What a night !

I hope you enjoy the game in Baltimore tonight.

I have to go get a screen replaced today but will be watching the game tonight.
  • Options
    I bailed at midnight, just couldn't handle the saga much longer. Could not believe it went 16 innings...and THEN they had to fly to Baltimore!! I supsect we may have a tough game tonight given the hour they hit the sack.

Hard to believe they scored ZIPPO with the bases loaded and no outs. Of course Mr. I Can't Get A Key Hit (aka JD Choke), contriubted nada, as expected. Yet another toad in the Red Sox mix.

Incredible catch by Reddick, I suspect he'll be around for a good while.
  • Options

I hope they don't do something foolish like trade Reddish but I would not put it past them.

If they cant find someone willing to take JD then anchor him to that bench until his contract runs out.

He is toast !
  • Options
    Glad crawford is back, but Reddick is just lost out there in centerfield

Goot, i will be looking for your hair in the crowd!

oh JD Blew, another "check-swing" strike and 3rd looking, good news we are ahead
  • Options

Score turned out right but we sure need some of our pitchers back. Wakefield was not sharp and completely imploded in the 5th.
  • Options
    Anybody catch Hottie Heidi's quick interview with the O's pitcher Kevin Gregg, who got into the dust up with Ortiz? This clown is still acting like he's out to get Ortiz...seems like he just can't man-up and let it go. The interview was followed up with one with Showalter, who stated there has been a long standing thing between the Red Sox and O's...translation...Red Sox seem to always kick our A$$ES over the years. It was good to hear Showalter say (basically to his players), well, play better.

Seems to me that Gregg is the whiney boy of the O's. Being 18.5 out, with no hope of going anywhere this year does kinda cause sour grapes. However, the more prudent professional would turn the page and let bygones be bygones. Red Sox have 7 more games with the O's...I suspect if Mr. Gregg comes out of the bullpen during the late September swing, he'll be soundly greeted with a massive Fenway greeting, normally reserved for A-Rods.

Gregg the Toad seems to fit nicely.
  • Options

Great game today. I think Miller is figuring out what his problem is. He did allow some walks but got out of trouble after the pitching coach told him about it.

As far as Gregg goes, he is just trying to fire up his team, which is a waste of time.
  • Options

Yankee's lost again tonight.

That means they are 4 and 4 on the road trip and are 2 games behind the Red Sox in the standings.

YES !!!!!
  • Options
    Lackey the Toad goes tomorrow night...the good news is Hughes (8.44 ERA) goes for the Yankees tomorrow night.

At least we're in Fenway, let's hope the bats can stay hot to give the Toad some help.

I think Drew sees the hand writing on the wall with the way Reddick is playing.
  • Options

I don't know if Drew does but everyone else sees it.
  • Options

Lackluster looked good again tonight.

Maybe we will be taking back all those nasty things we said about him.
  • Options
    going to the game tonight image
  • Options
    Maybe we will be taking back all those nasty things we said about him.

Gonna be a cold day in November when I get off Lackey the Toad's case, if ever. He is paid an incredible salary to throw a baseball every 5 days, 6 months a year. He ain't doin' too good at it.
  • Options

<< <i>going to the game tonight image >>

I envy you but I will enjoy it on my 52 inch tv just the same especially seeing as how the Yankees just lost again.
  • Options

<< <i>going to the game tonight image >>

I hope that was not you that got thrown out for interfering with the line drive that could have cost the Red Sox the game.
  • Options
    1st time I ever sat in Monster seats...right near the Fisk pole. Great view. Seventh inning magic again! Sweet game
  • Options

Living in Albuquerque I have not been to Fenway since the monster seats were installed. It must be a great view. I remember going to the park in the late 50's and early 60's when you counted games attendance in the low 1000's, even with Williams playing, unlike today when you have a hard time even getting a ticket.
  • Options
    Anyone notice the chick to the right of the TV pic about 4 rows up constantly turned to talk to two other chicks a couple of rows behind her? I mean she did this almost the whole game. What a waste of a great seat.

BTW, the DX.......... sign is back up directly behind the ump on the wall. Any ideas?

Barndog...gotta be a thrill in the Monstah seats. Glad you got to experience that.

Those Seattle guys have to be super-bummed out now losing 14 in a row!!! OUCH

Any guesses on what might happen before the deadline? Maybe the Mariners can take Drew the Toad with them when they leave.

THREE UP on the Bronx guys !!!
  • Options
    Mariners have some excellent pitching with Hernandez, Beaven, and Pineda. How terrible has an offense got to be to lose 14 straight with such good starters?

I saw that Japanese writing stuff up again too. No clue yet what it is
  • Options
    another win!
  • Options

Where have all those Yankee fans disappeared to?
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

Barndog- I'm jealous. I was able to go up on the Green Monster during a tour of Fenway (best $12 I ever spent) but I'm sure that it pales in comparison to seeing a game from up there. Did you win the lottery for those tickets or were you able to buy them from someone?
  • Options

<< <i>image

Barndog- I'm jealous. I was able to go up on the Green Monster during a tour of Fenway (best $12 I ever spent) but I'm sure that it pales in comparison to seeing a game from up there. Did you win the lottery for those tickets or were you able to buy them from someone? >>

a friend had two seats, so my wife and I got to go...tickets at NO COST image
  • Options
    Wow that is a great friend! Let's help get Buchholtz back and lackey outta here
  • Options
    Just call me stupid. I stayed up until the Royals scored their second run...roughly 2AM Eastern. Then I'd had enough, just knew the Sox would blow what shouldh've been a win given the opportunities they had along the way. The squeeze play with Reddick at 3rd and only one out was dumber than a bag of rocks...just a decent fly ball would have won the game at that point. A loss that should not have happened.

• Options
    I agree Al. There was no point in calling the squeeze there. That said, Scutaro totally blew it by completely missing the call and leaving Reddick out to dry. And then on the very next play when he got nailed trying to stretch his hit to a double . . . well, I guess it just wasn't Scutaro's night.

At times last night it felt like Reddick was the only guy on the team trying to win the game. I'm looking forward to watching him play more with JD Drew on the DL.
  • Options
    Von...

I agree, Reddick is really rolling. I think Drew is toast given his enormous salary.

Still can't believe they lost that game. All we needed at times was a simple deep fly ball, or a hit to win it. Not gonna go past 9 innings again here, especially after the lengthy rain delay start. I just kept saying they'll win it this inning.

I really despise Melky Cabrerra. I will never forget when he caught a fly ball for the 3rd out during a Yankee game and he trotted down the right field line past the foul pole holding the ball out just out of reach of the fans, taunting them. He's just a major punk-A$$.
  • Options
    I guess Melky is paying for that crime against decency by serving out his time in the prison known as the Kansas City Royals Organization then. image

It was too bad that Lester had to be limited to a low pitch count. With him leaving the game early and the extra innings that really depleted the bullpen. Hopefully the Sox can get 6 or 7 innings out of Miller tonight.
  • Options
    so Miller is not the answer, that much is clear. If he's not walking a ton of guys, he's grooving the ball. Has to learn to live on the edge of the plate.

Maybe it's the pre-2004 Sox fan in me, but my initial reaction to Varitek's mammoth home run leading off the 7th last night was this: "typical...couldn't do that when he came up with the bases loaded, now, could he?"
  • Options

Those were my exact thoughts when Varitek hit the home run.
  • Options

<< <i>Those were my exact thoughts when Varitek hit the home run. >>

86 years of losing wears off super-slowly!
  • Options
    I have not been watching them that long. Born in 1939.
  • Options
    so far Lacking is doing great. He's got one out already on the KC Royals and has only allowed three runs. Wonder what the rest of the first inning will bring?
  • Options
    ONLY 3 runs in the first, well Ellsbury Pedroia make it 3-2 KC
  • Options
    Here's da deal...

We have a new addition to the Toad family, that would be Navarro the Toad. This guy needs to be the designated driver as he Drew and Lackey depart. He can't hit, he can barely field and at 3rd base he's a horror show...gotta go!

Lackey the Toad starts off as expect...fortunately the bats come alive and bail him.

Not much breathing room ahead with the 2 quickies in Chicago, then back home to face Cleveland and the Yankees, could be interesting times ahead.
  • Options
    This is much too bizarre not to share...

I really like my next door neighbors, we've been neighbors for well over 20 years. I think yesterday took the cake, if not the whole bakery! They happen to be fanatics (IMO) about Christmas, they put up NINE Christmas trees, begining in early November. The process takes a bit over two weeks to haul the stuff down and then create their Christmas-ville...yup, they even have pics to go by to ensure every bauble and bangle is in the acceptable spot...oh, did I leave our REAL candles on the main tree in their living room? It's just waaaaay over the top IMO, but I guess it makes them happy. You gotta be there when the guy claps his hands and all of a sudden their little train bursts to life and chugs around one of the trees. Oh, he also dresses up in a Santa suit and "pops in" on some neighbors, with his "Ho Ho" routine.

So, yesterday, here in Atlanta it was 98 degrees and not much of a breeze. I happen to glance out my window that kinda has a view of their garage. So what do I see? I see my neighbor in his garage putting lights on a Christmas tree!! Geez already, it's only July 27th. My jaw kinda drops a bit and I mumble too myself wondering if they are beginning, if not already have lost their minds.

Pretty weird stuff!!
  • Options
    get the guy some Red Sox ornaments for a perfect tree!
  • Options
    Sox on now FYI down 4-2 in 8th
  • Options
    let's rally guys! and WTF Yamico Navarro at the plate...I should have taken a cab into town and pinch hit for him