Options

The 2011 Boston Red Sox

Comments

• Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Lee is just a great pitcher
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    prepare for adventures at 1B with Ortiz and even more adventure in RF with Gonzalez tonight! That being said, the other eight fielders are tons better than the Sox pitchers this year. No clue how many errors the Sox pitchers have, but it seems they have the majority of them on the team.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to believe 1 run (thanks to the pitcher) in 2 games. Has the offense just lost it in the NL? Lackey is still in my dog house, although I'll give him a thumbs up for the nice hit.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever happens in this series, I have to give the Red Sox a lot of credit where credit is due. After that horrendous start this season, I think most teams would have rolled over and given up...but the Red Sox picked themselves up and got right back into contention, and even had the AL East lead for awhile.

Part of me, I'll admit a big part, would like to see another Phillies-Yankees World Series to get payback for the Yanks beating us twice...but I wouldn't mind one bit seeing a Phillies-Red Sox World Series, involving two classic hard knock teams who have come back strong from a tough 20th century for both teams, but have both been excellent teams during this 21st century.
  • Options
    Yeah, just what I want is 10 days of StevieK.
  • Options
    As long as he remains relatively calm, I can live with it. Should the flames begin, well...
  • Options

<< <i>As long as he remains relatively calm, I can live with it. Should the flames begin, well... >>

You hope. image
  • Options
    for some reason, I think it is great that the Sox have scored three runs already today. Three measly runs, woo hoo! This will be what, third straight series lost (SD, Pirates, and now Phila)?
  • Options
    can Bobby Jenks (Junks?) go with Mike Cameron on the "designated for assignment" list? Please?
  • Options
    Congrats to the Red Sox for winning the third game of the series - Red Sox are a good, tough ballclub, but it's obvious the Phillies are much better.

If the Red Sox do make it into the World Series, they had better hope the Phillies aren't their opponent. Frankly, the Phillies are no doubt hungry and motivated, and I don't see any team stopping them - all the junior circuit teams are playing for second best this season.

Is this post "relatively calm" enough for ya? LOL
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats to the Red Sox for winning the third game of the series - Red Sox are a good, tough ballclub, but it's obvious the Phillies are much better.

If the Red Sox do make it into the World Series, they had better hope the Phillies aren't their opponent. Frankly, the Phillies are no doubt hungry and motivated, and I don't see any team stopping them - all the junior circuit teams are playing for second best this season.

Is this post "relatively calm" enough for ya? LOL >>

You are just annoying, per usual.
  • Options
    Wakefield's knuckleball didn't seem to do what it needed to last night under the roof (unlike the way it acts in Tampa, go figure). I think it worked well only on wild pitches and passed balls. Seventh inning magic again saved the Sox from what has become a recent string of embarrassing defeats. The Sox have "left money on the table" with SD and Pittsburgh, hope they don't do the same with the Astros. Really, could their interleague schedule have been any easier?
  • Options
    Beckett was spot on today. Too many LOB again for the Sox though. Game should not have been that close.
  • Options
    Yet another Lackey DISAPPOINTMENT!!!. He should be ashmamed to collect the money he's paid for such a bush-league performance. Hopefully he soon goes the way of Timlin.

However, having witnessed the awesome fireworks show along the Charles river, I will not let this BOZO ruin the day...bring on the Boston Pops and da show!!

Happy 4th everybody!!!!
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

That was the first time in all the years of watching the ups and downs of the red sox that I have ever turned the game off in the third inning to

let my wife watch the soap operas. That has to be the worst display of pitching I have ever seen. Lackluster and Francona, for allowing it to get

that far, should be ashamed of themselves. It was obvious in the first inning that the idiot did not have a thing on his fastball yet he kept on

throwing it. They need to eat his contract and let him sit on the bench until it becomes part of his a$$. Yes they will suffer but they would never

find any team that would put up with him even if they ate his whole dumb contract. I have no desire to watch him pitch again unless it is for

another team against the red sox.
  • Options
    Just when the Lackey thing can't get any more stupid...heard on Imus this AM from his sports guy (Warner Wolf)...after yesterday's Lackey debacle, he actually said "my arm felt really good today".

SHEESH !!!!, WHAT A BOZO LOOOOOOOOOOOOZER

I hope he enjoyed the thuderous booing he got when Tito finally shut him down.
  • Options

He didn't get near the booing he deserved!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    That was the first time in all the years of watching the ups and downs of the red sox that I have ever turned the game off in the third inning

I did the same thing, but was thinking of switching back. I just cant stand Lackey
  • Options
    we turned it off in the second inning (I think it was after the third run scored?). Went out, poked around in the garden, lit off some fireworks, came back to find it seven to zip. Lackey was no longer in, so we watched the rest. It was tolerable, except for Gonzalez and his mini-slump. We expect RBIs from him every time now. image
  • Options
    Papelblown image

is some team really going to pay him 12 million/yr long-term? As long as it is no longer the Sox
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    The final play of tonight's game was awesome. Encarnacion was safe but it was a great throw from McDonald and a great block from Varitek. I'll take it.
  • Options
    APC...Another Papelbon Choke.

Red Sox catch a lucky break with the close call at home...Encarnacion was safe, tying the game.

• Options

I'm sure glad this is Paps and Drew's last year . Can we please find a way to get rid of lackluster too?

These are three cancers on this team.
  • Options
    I predict Papelbon to the Yankees...Drew, who knows, maybe KC...Lackey hopefully taking my order at Wendy's. image

BTW, really disappointed at the fireworks show in Boston. Not cool to have gotten rid of the cannons on the bridge over the Charles river announcing the William Tell Overture. The BEST show was Macy's in NYC...WOW, 6 barges spread out to a beautifully synchronized MEGA SHOW!!!

Folks in Atlanta, after having staked out their spots for hours, got greeted to a late evening storm of pouring rain. Show was delayed, but a brief window allowed the "greatest show in the Southeast" to go forward...many shows delayed because of storms till later this month, even as far out as July 23rd...WEIRD.
  • Options
    I don't think the Yankees are that stupid to waste many millions on Papelblown.
  • Options

I don't care where he goes as long as he goes and takes his attitude with him.
  • Options
    Lester out for two weeks? Buchholz not rushing back. Lackey totally ineffective.

The offense is going to have to carry this team for a while if they want to stay within striking distance of the Yankees.
  • Options

<< <i>Lester out for two weeks? Buchholz not rushing back. Lackey totally ineffective.

The offense is going to have to carry this team for a while if they want to stay within striking distance of the Yankees. >>

I hope the Sox move sooner rather than later to bring in a starter. No need to wait until the deadline, they really do need someone dependable now. Their starting rotation has become Beckett, injured Lester, infinitely sucking Lackey, Wakefield, and Miller. Assume that Lester doesn't pitch again until about a week after the ASG and they have Beckett, Lester, Miller as their three best. Hmm, do I think that gets them to the playoffs? Maybe. I do not think the solution is Lackey improving or Kevin Millwood being brought up from the minors (but he should be given a shot). So which starting pitcher is available for the Sox? Any guesses?

The Sox offense can pound out seven runs a game, but until they get something better than Miller and Beckett, seven runs won't be enough to support Lackey, Wakefield, and whomever on most days.
  • Options
    I haven't heard of that many quality starters that are being dangled as trade bait yet. That worries me for the Red Sox this year. It's amazing to me how 3 or 4 months can change things. Before the season started it looked like pitching would be one of the strong suits of the team. Accept for the injuries, maybe that has been true. But I don't think there's anyone that can defend Lackey and Dice-K this year. And the bullpen hasn't been that fantastic either.

I don't know . . . maybe with all the chaos and financial problems in L.A., the Dodgers could look to unload some payroll and deal one of their pitchers? If they did, I think Kuroda would be the most likely target since he will be a free agent next season and has a huge $12M paycheck due to him this year.
  • Options

Why so many injuries on the Red Sox?

Are they getting proper exercise ?
  • Options

Yankees lose again and Red Sox take over 1st place even with 3 of their starting pitchers on the disabled list.

Go SOX !!!!
  • Options
    six homers a game...wonder if that would even be enough when Lacking takes the hill? image
  • Options

We will find out Saturday.
  • Options
    Lackey...$15.95m
    Drew...$14m

TOTAL = $29.95M !!!

Pedroia...$5.75m
    Ellsbury...$2.4m

TOTAL = $8.15m

The performance at the half-way point between these two groups is eye-popping!! Keep takin' that called strike 3 Drew while chewing that gum...your buddy "my arm felt real good today"...oops, 7 runs...will be toast as well. Da sooner da better.

It numbs the mind.
  • Options
    coming off the books after this year as far as I know:

Drew
    Scutaro
    Cameron
    Papelblown

Maybe a few more? I'm sure the pay scale in some of the home-team discount contracts (Youkilis, Lester, Pedroia) will go up a bit, but all in all, maybe there will be some money for a free agent that can play RF or maybe one that can pitch.
  • Options
    Cameron is already gone to the Marlins...Scutaro can stay, but the others can get on the Lackey bus. Who knows what will happen by 7/31.

That Orioles pitcher is lucky Ortiz's left upper cut didn't connect.
  • Options

<< <i>Cameron is already gone to the Marlins...Scutaro can stay, but the others can get on the Lackey bus. Who knows what will happen by 7/31.

That Orioles pitcher is lucky Ortiz's left upper cut didn't connect. >>

Cameron may be gone, but I am sure the deal sending him there has the Sox paying a great portion of his remaining salary. It's like the Renteria and Luso situations...just paying the player to play somewhere else.

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Why so many injuries on the Red Sox?>>>

Because despite being in a city that can legitimately claim to be home to the best medical professionals in the country, somehow the Red Sox medical staff is god-awful. How many Red Sox players go out and get 2nd opinions when they are hurt? Almost every single one, because they don't trust their staff. They mis-diagnosed Ellsbury last year, Schilling in '08, and probably a handful more I am forgetting.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Jon Heyman has a piece out on cnnsi.com about Ethier possibly wanting to come to the Red Sox....Link

I'm not necessarily thrilled about this. For one, he's another left-handed bat, when they already have at least 2 left handed bats locked up for 7 years, and potentially 3 if they lock up Ellsbury. For two, he is basically J.D. Drew, except with an attitude that most Boston fans will appreciate. I assume he'll command somewhere in the $15m per year range, which is silly for a guy that only has hit 30 HR's once, and whose career OPS is around .850.
  • Options
    Ethier's FA is a long way off, so no worries.

How about the starting five now?

Beckett: Hyperextended knee or some BS like that. Prognosis? Who knows.
    Lackey: He sucks. Rumored to have an elbow problem. Further rumored to be lining up for Tommy John
    Buchholz: Back problem. Maybe we see him in August?
    Lester: DL for a muscle strain for at least another couple of weeks
    Matsuzaka: Gone for Tommy John. Back late 2012, if ever.

So now who comprises the starting five?

Miller
    Aceves
    Wakefield
    Millwood?
    Paper clips, glue, spit, and tape

Keep scoring ten runs a game, guys!
  • Options

Well Lackluster looked good today and he even retaliated with a hit batsman in the 7th inning with 2 out.
  • Options

<< <i>Well Lackluster looked good today and he even retaliated with a hit batsman in the 7th inning with 2 out. >>

drilling D Lee was cool of him to do. Nice to have some spice in the Sox-Orioles rivalry. I hope the pitching performance last night was not a case of a blind squirrel finding a nut.
  • Options
    I should add: I'd expect Baltimore to drill Gonzalez or Youkilis today before the Red Sox pitchers get the chance to start the parade.
  • Options

Being from Albuquerque, I know of todays starting pitcher and he has all the stuff that good pitchers are made of. I would like to wish him

great success in his start today. I know he is well deserving of it.
  • Options
    great game, beautiful day what more can you ask for!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Paper clips, glue, spit, and tape
    >>

That would be #70, who pitched yesterday. Torched for 6 runs -- back to AAA. Nice to be able to score 8 runs to make up for it.

Also, why do the radio announcers think Papelblown is having a "great" season? A $12 million closer (who thinks he is Mariano Rivera) does not have a 4+ ERA.

But hey, never my yapping -- 20 games above .500 at the AS break after that horrible start and a banged up starting pitching staff leaves very little to complain about.
  • Options

Here we go, the 2nd half of the season opens tomorrow. We need to get the pitching off of ground zero. If we can get them clicking we will be

so far ahead of the dreaded Yankees that it wont matter who they pick up by the end of the month.
  • Options
    not the way i like to get back into things
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>not the way i like to get back into things >>

6 Runs should be enough -- hopefully they won't have to use minor league scrubs for starters much longer.
  • Options
    Lackey today...not broadcast in the Atlanta market (although I have the Directv package)...maybe a blessing in disguise.