Home Sports Talk
Options

The 2011 Boston Red Sox

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

3 out of 4 from the Tigers in Detroit is a great job done.

Now it's on to Chicago.

Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Verlander is a beast. His last, and 132nd pitch, was 100 mph.
  • Options
    I can not believe how they can be so good one day and so bad the next!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can not believe how they can be so good one day and so bad the next! >>

and the White Sox so bad for a week and magically cured when they visit Fenway
  • Options
    and for those of you that forgot that today's game was an afternoon game (instead of evening start time): LUCKY YOU!

• Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Ouch
  • Options
    why is it that closers get paid so much? I don't know sabermetrics or whatever the term is, but Papelbon's Wins Above Replacement has varied from about one to three. Are those 1-3 extra wins per year worth ten million dollars?
  • Options
    oh, for those of you that missed it, Rich Hill messed up his arm today. Looked pretty bad. He had instant pain after throwing ball four (I think to Adam Dunn). The camera panned in and it seemed to me that he explained "something popped" when the trainer and Francoma came out to visit. He was doing well, I hope it's not Tommy John time for him.
  • Options
    They said initial reports were not bad, but it is never good when a pitcher grabs his arm after a pitch.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheer up guys...guess who's starting Sunday? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Ah, yes, of course that would be Mr. 2-5, ERA 8.01 and making $15.25m per. The one and only Mr. Lackluster returns to the mound.

Incredible slump, especially at home...hard to figure.
  • Options
    I was hoping he would be out longer.
  • Options
    looks like Rich Hill is gone for the year and Matsuzaka wants to get Tommy John surgery but the Sox haven't given the OK for it yet...per boston.com

The loss of Rich Hill is going to sting.
  • Options
    The loss of R. Hill hurts worse than losing DiceK.
  • Options
    Aceves was the hero today. Papelblown is up to 4.32
  • Options

Papelblown sucks, I'm glad he is a free agent this year.

Francona tried his best to give this game away, too bad he isn't a free agent.

Pinch running for both Gonzales and Pappy, (their hottest hitters), not too bright and taking the kid out for the 2nd night in a row

after only 1 pitch each time leaves them short of pitchers for a long game.

He is an idiot!
  • Options
    Didn't Papelbon make the statement once that he'd like to play for the Yankees? If so, his wish may come true. Too bad Pedroia booted what appeared to be an easy double play ball.

Does anybody know what the inscription is on the wall behind home plate that starts with DX....... kinda odd stuff. It's located almost directly behind the umpire and sandwhiched between the two RedSox.com letterings.

Nice to see Drew do something worthwhile, especially having just gone 0-4 earlier in the game.

Well, strap in guys, Lackless starts tomorrow. BTW, I thought it was pretty stupid to pull both Ortiz and Gonzalez...suddenly we got really weak at 1st base, not to mention the loss of offense. Made no sense to me.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I thought it was pretty stupid to pull both Ortiz and Gonzalez...suddenly we got really weak at 1st base, not to mention the loss of offense. Made no sense to me.

Fran-COMA did the same thing a week or so back..with the same results I believe. re placed speed for hitting and when it went to extra innings we were flacid
  • Options

He is a moron!
  • Options

<< <i>Papelblown sucks, I'm glad he is a free agent this year.

Francona tried his best to give this game away, too bad he isn't a free agent.

Pinch running for both Gonzales and Pappy, (their hottest hitters), not too bright and taking the kid out for the 2nd night in a row

after only 1 pitch each time leaves them short of pitchers for a long game.

He is an idiot! >>

Tough to call one of the best managers in the league and idiot. It is a long season and not every one of his calls are going to be correct.
  • Options

When he makes 3 bad calls in one game he deserves it.
  • Options

1st game of the Red Sox/ Yankees series goes to the good guys.
  • Options
    headlines making a big deal of 200 saves. The save has got to be the most meaningless "statistic" in all of baseball. No mention of the now-4.50 ERA in most reports of last night's game.

I'd expect Burnett to come inside on Papi after that bat flip thing.
  • Options
    Papelbon looks shaky to me, as a closer, he should be getting more outs early in his outing, not allowing baserunners, then escalting the situation to a nail biter.

BTW, I thought it was pretty stupid and bush-league of Papelbon to charge and bump the umpire...few things you never, never do in life...peek under Superman's cape, spit into the wind, and bump the umpire. Gonna get you a fine for sure and if you haven't already been, tossed from the game. If his pitching had been more efficient, he wouldn't have given up the 4 runs that led to frustration and a more jaundiced eye at the strike zone. Umpires ain't gonna change squat, you gotta man up and take what you get, good, bad or indifferent.

As for Ortiz's home run, hey, it's the Yankees, flip the bat if you want. I wish I had the power to hit like he does when he connects. If the Yankee players take offense, I say too bad, better yet, TOUGH S%$T. If Burnett tries to seek some kinda silly revenge tonight, we may well witness a bench clearing brawl. Who's to say he did it intentionally? Ortiz could have just as easily been so caught up in the flight of the ball that he just tossed it without evening thinking, quick reaction. I really don't think it was an "in your face" moment. But then again, I don't care if it was, like I said, it's the Yankees.

BTW, BTW, didn't ya just love #13 wiffing for the final out? A loud "YES" and a fist pump into the air came from here!! imageimage

Never forget the Bucky Dent and Aaron Boone stuff....I say keep flipping the bat when you really hit a no-brainer tater.

• Options

Go for it Ortiz ! I hope you flip your bat 4 times tonight.
  • Options
    So how's this for "luck". I go to register my car today...tag is due in July. The lady tells me I have to get an emission inspection, which is basically a waste of $20 and my time. So, I get that done up the street from the Registry office and find out the owner is a big time Yankees fan. Naturally we go back and forth for a while...me with my Red Sox cap on and I bust him about last night's game, blah, blah. All in all a fun encounter...we have $1 bet on tonight's game.

Go back to the Registry office with the magic paper that I passed the emission test. Four clerks working, I get the lady again that I first had...she then tells me she's a big Yankees fan! Whazzup today, I'm in Atlanta, GA, actually about 25 miles south and I'm surrounded with Yankees fans. Of course she being a "real" fan, knows FOR SURE the Yankees will win the WS, blah, blah. Lady is all of maybe 25 years old. At least the garage guy was knowlegeable and we could talk baseball.

FLIP THOSE BATS!!!
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    The way he flipped the bat, I expected the ball to land halfway up the 3rd deck. Probably a little uncalled for given it landed 10 rows beyond the wall. We'd probably be all over A-Rod if he did something like that.

I expect Burnett to buzz the tower tonight....
  • Options
    WOW, 5 in a row! Not much better things in baseball than to beat up on the Yankees at home! Tonight may be tough with CC, but we do have Beckett.

What's up with Pedroia gone back to Boston and potential surgery? Anybody know??

FIRST PLACE !!!

Oh yeah, gotta cruise by that garage and pick up my $2 from that "big Yankees" fan. imageimageimage
  • Options
    I guess Pedroia hurt himself in the Baltimore series last month, and has been playing in pain....could be out a month if he needs surgery.
  • Options

I sure am glad that the yankees did not want to sign Aceves this season. He is too good a pitcher for him to be over there anyway.

What were they thinking?
  • Options
    Aceves looked like he had his own personal rain shower going on!! Never saw sweat drip from a cap like his did last night...and I thought Youk was a sweater!!

Was it me, or did the sound for Jerry and Don sound almost drowned out by the background crowd noise? I had to crank up my volume to around 65+ to discern their comments from the crowd noise. Oddly, late in the game, the sound seemed to sorta balance out, but still too much crowd noise. I think Yankee stadium is in kinda like a horseshoe and the sound must bounce back toward the announcers.

Maybe it's time for me to finally hook up my surround sound and not rely on the tv's wimpy speakers.
  • Options

I tried the surrond sound and it just makes the crowd noise worse.
  • Options
    so maybe Aceves can be their setup guy for Bard next year when Papelblown finally "brings his talents" to anywhere else (please)? image
  • Options

<< <i>so maybe Aceves can be their setup guy for Bard next year when Papelblown finally "brings his talents" to anywhere else (please)? image >>

Just so long as he takes Drew with him !
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't beleive Girardi complained about the "bat flip". What a whiner. He should be complaining about his sh*tty pitching staff (CC and Rivera excluded).
  • Options

I was disappointed when Ortiz didn't flip his bat last night !
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>so maybe Aceves can be their setup guy for Bard next year when Papelblown finally "brings his talents" to anywhere else (please)? image >>

Just so long as he takes Drew with him ! >>

he's in the last year of his five-year, $70 million contract. The only thing I will miss is the solid defense in RF
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    What? You're not going to miss all the called third strikes, the total lack of emotion when he chokes in a clutch position, or the constant nagging injuries that seem to sideline him for two weeks whenever a stiff wind blows in his face?
  • Options
    C'mon Von what do you expect from a nice southern Georgia guy making a paltry $EIGHTY SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS PER GAME PLUS ?? Well, he does get to sit now and then, and of course half the games that he does play in he's sitting on his keester in the dugout chewing that gum. Thus, he's really making more per game.

Pretty hard on Drew !! imageimage

Hope all is well with you on the Pacific side.

Regards,
    Al
  • Options

Hey I wonder how the yankees feel about those Joba rules now. They didn't keep him away from Tommy John surgery I guess.
  • Options
    Matsuzaka and Hill from the Sox getting Tommy John surgery and now Joba Chamberlain will too. Tough year for AL East pitchers image
  • Options

It's all over both leagues. What is happening to the conditioning programs these teams are supposed to have?
  • Options
    Red Sox put the BIG CRUSH on the Yankees. I only wish I'd been able to see the 7th inning happen. Cruising at 2-0, surely the Yankees thought they had it in the bag till the volcano erupted.

How SSSSWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPP it is !!!
  • Options

That was a great game. I was able to watch the whole thing. The yanks were laughing and joking for the first 6 innings and then they were so

serious and completely deflated from the 7th inning on. They just seemed lost from that point and there was almost complete silence from

everyone that was left in the ballpark to the yankee players who just seemed to have lost all desire to play. I loved every minute of it!
  • Options
    I couldn't stay awake past the first inning. I guess I saw the worst of it. Needed the rest for the Bruins game tonight image
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I tried the surrond sound and it just makes the crowd noise worse.

I swear Don and Jerry had a fan or an AC blowing in the box that night, the background noise was as obnoxious as it gets. Great time to mute to tv and listen to the radio while watching!

go sox!!
  • Options
    So, when the game finally begins, I get as far as the second inning...the stars come out early on the East Coast. The wife says record the game...I say, no, I'm not gonna do that, like who is gonna watch 3 hours of baseball when you already know the score. BIG MISTAKE...I would LOVE...L-O-V-E to have seen just the 7th inning and witness all the happiness and joy drain from the Yankee fans and especially the players, had to be sweet!!

Oh oh, Cleveland in da Bronx, could be a tough time for the pinstripers. One can only hope.

• Options

Great game tonight ! Buchholz pitched great.
  • Options
    They are playing very well.
  • Options
    35-16 since their 2-10 start....suddenly the best record in the AL, and 1/2 game behind the Phillies for best record in majors!
  • Options
    They sure are on their way this year just as promised.

What will Epstein do to help the team before the trading deadline if anything?

Lackey looked much better today. If he continues like this, we won't need anyone else this year.