Options

The 2011 Boston Red Sox

Comments

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Suckfest.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can think of at least 5 top paid players who should each give Pedroia a mil...he's the only spark on the team.

Worst start for the Red Sox that I can remember...and I've been a Red Sox fan for a long, LONG time, like early 50s. LOBs, LOBs and more LOBs...maybe Drew should swallow that damn gum. Can we give Crawford and Lackey back? Might as well toss Dicek in the mix.

Dismal, ineffective, and just down right lousy. They will soon self-implode and nuke their shot at any post season play if they don't string together some wins, the hole only gets deeper.

No Red Sox for me today (probably a good thing), gotta cut down a tree...maybe that chain saw will relieve some tension. image

• Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    They really suck right now.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Things are looking much better now, they are starting to hit and the pitching is coming around.
  • Options
    Yes, they suck right now. They should convince Man-Ram to unretire and use him as a pinch hitter.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jed Lowrie is en fuego
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, they suck right now. They should convince Man-Ram to unretire and use him as a pinch hitter. >>

I think the yankees should sign manny.
  • Options
    I didn't know Dicek had a twin brother...WOW. Have we turned the corner? I'll bet it's a happy flight to Oakland.
  • Options
    I just looked it up. "Daisuke" is Japanese for schizophrenic.
  • Options

Maybe they should start him every 7th day and work the rotation around him!
  • Options
    Mike Cameron is an idiot.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ick! Back to Pawtucket (or maybe Portland) for Chokajima.
  • Options

How about Japan!

Not all his fault though, it helps if you can get some timely hitting to go along with the pitching.
  • Options
    Lots of stupid plays last night. I really think that Mike Cameron interferring with Suzuki when Ellsbury was stealing 2nd broke the camel's back. Had he not done it, Ellsbury would have been safe and it's likely that he would have scored the tying run after both Crawford and Saltalamachia hit 2-out singles. If the score is tied in the bottom of the 8th I think that might have influenced either who Francona brought in to pitch or the way they approached the hitters. Who knows? All I know is that a stupid mental mistake cost the Red Sox the tying run.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    It wasn't pretty but a win is a win and I'll take it. Against a better team, all those baserunners would have translated to a heckuva lot more than just 3 runs.
  • Options

<< <i>Lots of stupid plays last night. I really think that Mike Cameron interferring with Suzuki when Ellsbury was stealing 2nd broke the camel's back. Had he not done it, Ellsbury would have been safe and it's likely that he would have scored the tying run after both Crawford and Saltalamachia hit 2-out singles. If the score is tied in the bottom of the 8th I think that might have influenced either who Francona brought in to pitch or the way they approached the hitters. Who knows? All I know is that a stupid mental mistake cost the Red Sox the tying run. >>

this team has been making lots of bonehead mistakes this year...like they are still in Spring training or maybe just learning at the LL level.
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Welcome to Anaheim guys! let the games begin! we want a piece of lackey come Sunday showdown!
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome to Anaheim guys! let the games begin! we want a piece of lackey come Sunday showdown! >>

Why just a piece? Please, take all of him (take him back, that is)! image
  • Options

That was a great game last night. The pitching was fantastic, now all they have to do is to start hitting.
  • Options
    I watched the first inning and thought, "Wow, Beckett has 'no hitter stuff' tonight"

I got sleepier by the second, then third innings. Watched the fourth and that was it for me. The four innings I saw were really impressive for Beckett. Unlike he's been in a long time. Bringing it every time, excellent command. Extreme confidence out there on the mound too.

Too bad his personal catcher can't hit his way out of a wet paper bag right now.
  • Options

Catching is a problem right now. I expect to see a trade pretty soon. I watched the whole game and Beckett, Bard, Jenks, and Pappelbon were great .
  • Options
    Beckett is doing everything he can to solidify his reputation as an up-and-down pitcher from year to year. This looks like a definite up year. Even in the AB where he gave up the homer to Hunter, I think he had Hunter struck out but didn't get the call. I think that rattled him a bit and caused him to lose enough focus to serve one up.

My main concerns with the team right now: Crawford not hitting at all; inconsistent pitching from Lackey, Dice, and a good portion of the bullpen; and Salty as a primary backstop.
  • Options
    if the Sox could hit with RISP, they would be just fine. 2 for 18 (IIRC) won't cut it against a good team.
  • Options
    Apparently almost losing his spot in the rotation was just the encouragement Dice-K needed. My hat is off to him tonight.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Dice-K!!

I'll be at his next start Friday image
  • Options

Roll them dice!!
  • Options
    DiceK on fire! Guess I'll have to tone down my anti-DiceK comments...this guy has really pitched exceptionally well. Nice to have him back in form, hope it keeps up!!

As for Drew, aka, "I like to take strike 3 looking", he needs to step it up big time for the coin he's getting!!

Red Sox rolling along very nicely.

New MLB rule in effect next season...all West Coast viewers will have a time delay for all East Coast games. "Westies" will not be able to watch any games until 10PM local. All broadcasts (including radio), will be blocked. You guys need to feel the pain!! image

• Options
    Matsuzaka's ERA down to 4.09, what a turnaround. If he can keep it that low all season, sweet.
  • Options

<< <i>DiceK on fire! Guess I'll have to tone down my anti-DiceK comments...this guy has really pitched exceptionally well. Nice to have him back in form, hope it keeps up!!

As for Drew, aka, "I like to take strike 3 looking", he needs to step it up big time for the coin he's getting!!

Red Sox rolling along very nicely.

New MLB rule in effect next season...all West Coast viewers will have a time delay for all East Coast games. "Westies" will not be able to watch any games until 10PM local. All broadcasts (including radio), will be blocked. You guys need to feel the pain!! image >>

I remember those days when I lived in Mass and used to dread those late nighters. It's great now that I live in Albuquerque.
  • Options
    Pitboss...

Wife and I were planning a trip to ABQ in the next few weeks, but eye surgery for me on May 19th kinda dampened that. Any info on what "not to miss" in ABQ is appreciated...planning a Fall trip now to include Chaco and then on to the Silverton RR then West to UT for some National Parks that we've previously visited. I expect we'll be spending the first night in ABQ, then on to Chaco and then a night in Durango before the train ride to Silverton.

Any pointers or info on the area appreciated...either here or PM me.

PS, depending on the info I receive from you will possibly get you excluded from the new MLB rule on 10PM starts for 2012. image

Thanks,
    Al
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,445 ✭✭
    9-5 since the 0-6 start. The last 14 games are more of what I expected for a winning percentage. If they keep that 9-5 pace the rest of the year, they finish with over 100 W's which will guarantee them a playoff spot and probably the AL East title.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    seems like the big money this year isnt paying off yet, crawford is anemic (aside from HR), and A-Gon has been hitting but no blasts. Leave it to the Sox farm hands to pick up the pace Lowire, Pedroia, Youk, Ellsbury
  • Options
    Their starting pitching has been huge the past two weeks.
  • Options

And their hitting is starting to come through also.
  • Options
    It would be nice if the two big FA signings would start to hit.
  • Options
    Only 3 games out of first now in 3rd place.
  • Options
    If Drew and Crawford wake up I think things will be ok.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    things already are OK. Crawford and Gonzalez will start hitting eventually. I have no worries, just like I had no worries at 2-10. In baseball, the season is so long that talent eventually wins out. The Sox have the most talent. Period.
  • Options

I have no worries either, they will just be fine.
  • Options

<< <i>things already are OK. Crawford and Gonzalez will start hitting eventually. I have no worries, just like I had no worries at 2-10. In baseball, the season is so long that talent eventually wins out. The Sox have the most talent. Period. >>

"talent" doesn't eventually win out. PERFORMANCE wins. Many examples you should be able to come up with, starting with the 2010 SF Giants.
  • Options
    <<<"talent" doesn't eventually win out. PERFORMANCE wins. Many examples you should be able to come up with, starting with the 2010 SF Giants.>>>

In a short series, performance absolutely wins, hence why the Giants were able to beat the Phillies, and ultimately the WS. But in order to get into that position, the Giants won their division because they were the most complete team in the NL West.

Over 162 games, talent seeks its own level. Barring injuries or some crazy unfortunate luck, the most talented 8 teams make the playoffs 99% of the time. Hence why the Yankees can make the playoffs virtually every year from 2002-2010, and the Braves have a run for 15 straight years, but only win 1 World Series each during those runs. They often had the best teams during those runs, but in a 7-game series, the hot team can beat the best team.

I'm not crazy about Theo Epstein, but his big picture philosophy on running a team is correct. He builds a team to make the playoffs 4 out of every 5 years (factoring in 1 year to rebuild), and hopefully they get hot enough to win a title in one of those 4 appearances.
  • Options
    I like Theo's approach as well, but if I could give him one piece of advice it would be to avoid stating publicly which of those 5 years is the rebuilding / "bridge" year.
  • Options
    Crawford continues to be a HUGE bust !!

We're 23 games into the season, he's batting a PALTRY .165

He makes well over $91k per game, so far he's been paid close to $2.1m. Oh yeah, I forgot, "he's gonna be ok"...well he needs to get "ok" soon, as in NOW.

He does have one homer, maybe I'm being too hard on this guy...NOT !!

• Options

Your right, he needs to break out of it soon, but he sure is not alone in this ! No consistency on the whole team yet.
  • Options
    <<<Crawford continues to be a HUGE bust !!>>>

Crawford's average will eventually get to .275-.280 this year, so I'm not worried about that....

BUT, and I posted this during the offseason in a thread on this board - Crawford's contract is going to dwarf JD Drew's as the the most irrational overspending on a free agent in Red Sox history. It won't even be close. The Sox paid $20m per year for guy whose numbers closely resemble JOHNNY DAMON!!!...and they refused to give Damon more than $10m per season just 5 years ago.

I would MUCH rather have had Victor at 4 years/$50m then Crawford at 7/140. Outfielders with 15-20 HR power and a little bit of speed are a dime a dozen.

Crawford is digging himself a hole with Red Sox fans, just like Drew did. If he doesn't start hitting soon, Sox fans will never warm up to him, no matter what he does.
  • Options
    One area that Crawford is and always will be better than Johnny Damon: his throwing arm.
  • Options
    No ? Crawford has a better arm than Damon, but he got the big coin for his bat...defense was secondary. Just google Red Sox salaries for 2011 and see who's getting what. Pedroia and Ellsbury are keeping things glued together, not the top tier players.

Crawford will soon hear the wrath of Fenway if there isn't SUBSTANTIAL improvement.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No ? Crawford has a better arm than Damon, but he got the big coin for his bat...defense was secondary. Just google Red Sox salaries for 2011 and see who's getting what. Pedroia and Ellsbury are keeping things glued together, not the top tier players.

Crawford will soon hear the wrath of Fenway if there isn't SUBSTANTIAL improvement. >>

I'll just repeat myself

seems like the big money this year isnt paying off yet, crawford is anemic (aside from HR), and A-Gon has been hitting but no blasts. Leave it to the Sox farm hands to pick up the pace Lowire, Pedroia, Youk, Ellsbury
  • Options
    Ben Zobrist had more RBI yesterday than Carl Crawford has amassed all season. Ouch!

What's with the poor performance against teams like Baltimore and Seattle????