Home Sports Talk

The 2011 Boston Red Sox

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
I think Perkdog is buried under snow, so I decided to take the leap and get us rolling for what looks like it could be a great Red Sox year.

Comments

• just dont give Dice K a slot in the rotation~!
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I almost turned it off yesterday while watching him pitch. This guy has turned into a huge dud in my book. I still find it incomprehensible that the Red Sox reportedly had to pony up $100m to just talk to him while he was still pitching in Japan.
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>I almost turned it off yesterday while watching him pitch. This guy has turned into a huge dud in my book. I still find it incomprehensible that the Red Sox reportedly had to pony up $100m to just talk to him while he was still pitching in Japan. >>

Yeah, my Rangers have been in on a couple of guys from Japan, and I'm pretty well convinced that the posting process keeps ANY real studs from getting over here unless you WAYY overpay.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    It was "only" 51.5 million, but your point is well taken....not one of Theo's finest moments.
  • WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    On a much more positive note, the Sox are in for a great season!! I can hardly wait for opening day!!
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the DiceK being torture to watch
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the Sox starting rotation is Lester, Buchholz, ?, ?, and ?

(Beckett, Lackey, and Matsuzaka for the uninformed)

I think the Sox have a solid defense and a superior offense ready to play. Bullpen looks better than last year too. My concern is the three question marks. Which Beckett do you get: the guy worth $17 million a year or the guy they've overpaid for a couple of years? Which Lackey do you get? The "give me the ball and I will keep you in the game and pitch seven innings" guy or the "batting practice when not walking people" guy? And I think, unfortunately, that Matsuzaka is not a question mark, but a known quantity that we don't like, even as a number five.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think Perkdog is buried under snow, so I decided to take the leap and get us rolling for what looks like it could be a great Red Sox year. >>

Good thaw this weekend, starting to see some lawn! The Perkdog touch has not worked for a few years, so he probably won't mind.
    <<<And I think, unfortunately, that Matsuzaka is not a question mark, but a known quantity that we don't like, even as a number five.>>>

Summed up perfectly.

If Beckett is healthy, I think he'll be fine. Maybe not a 20-game winner, but something like 17-8, with a 3.50 ERA is doable. I've never been a big fan of Lackey, so I'll just assume he'll give us his standard 13-10 with a 4.00 ERA again.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to see the traditional Red Sox Thread going again! Thank You AL for getting it going!

Im overly optimistic about our chances, looks like Adrian's Shoulder is coming along fine which is good news...
    Anyone read the recent rant by Charlie Sheen over buying the Red Sox? WOW, this guy is really, REALLY on another planet !!!

Claims he made John Henry a "Bit#%in" offer to buy the club. You gotta read this thing to believe it...google Boston Dirt Dogs.
    some good news today. The manager is no longer in a coma...he names Lester as the opening day starter. Took Francona a while to figure out that Beckett sucks
    I can't get on Francona already.
  • WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭

<< <i>some good news today. The manager is no longer in a coma...he names Lester as the opening day starter. Took Francona a while to figure out that Beckett sucks >>

Unfortunately, I believe the season rests with Becket (and Lackey) pitching to their capabilities/expectations. I like the upgrades in the bullpen, as long as Papelbon shows up and not Papelblown.
    There is alot of depth on this team right now. Theo has put a very good team on the field now it is time for the players to step it up.
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Beckett slipping all the way to 4th is pretty impressive to me. It's impressive to me on several levels: 1. Francona is actually willing to recognize the new hierarchy in the rotation. 2. That the Red Sox have three pitchers that are potentially/probably better than Josh Beckett and 3. and now that Dice-K is the 5th starter maybe that can translate into skipping his spot in the rotation a few times this year and saving us all the slow agony and boredom of watching him pitch.
    Thanks GOD DiceK usually only last 5 innings becuase he is torture to watch.
    DiceK has now become my new Mike Timlin. Beckett has diminished to the point of just a huge question mark. No doubt the wheels have got to be turning big time in Francona's and Theo's heads over this "situation". We may well need some big innings to offset these starters.
    At least most of the bullpen looks capable of stepping it up this year if the starters need to be bailed out.

I'm not totally abandoning Beckett just yet. He wasn't good last year, but I think he's got a lot left in the tank. It's just a question of whether he can stay healthy enough to prove it. If the Sox can get 30 starts from him I think it would bode well for the success of the whole team. After all the injuries last year though I am feeling gun shy about getting my hopes up too much.
    If Beckett and Lackey pitch close to like they can the Sox will be much improved. I am not expecting career years from them, but if they can keep them in the games and pitch into the 6th or 7th inning the pen will carry them the rest of the way.
  • I'm starting to get nervous about Wakefield's future with the Sox... it's been a hell of a run, but I don't want to see it end any time soon!
    Wakefield...44 years old, 16 years with the Red Sox, ERA consistently well over 4 (last year over 5), paid almost $54m over those 16 years...surely he has more than enough coin to live very, very well at a very young age.

I say go out gracefully this year, big ceremony at Fenway, corvette, whatever and pack it in before the inevitable becomes reality. Make him some kind of Ambassador for the Red Sox scouting out future pitching prospects...can't get much better than that !!

• << <i>Wakefield...44 years old, 16 years with the Red Sox, ERA consistently well over 4 (last year over 5), paid almost $54m over those 16 years...surely he has more than enough coin to live very, very well at a very young age.

I say go out gracefully this year, big ceremony at Fenway, corvette, whatever and pack it in before the inevitable becomes reality. Make him some kind of Ambassador for the Red Sox scouting out future pitching prospects...can't get much better than that !! >>

Yeah I have mixed feelings. I want to see him keep going because we absolutely love him down here, but I also don't want to see him stick around too long and be embarrassed. And he's exactly the type of guy you would want in your front office...well respected, a lot of class, a ton of experience, and is a pretty smart guy too. I'm sure things will work out for the best!
    He is now hanging on too long and are going to make the organization do something.
    Google Red Sox 2011 schedule. One of the links will say "printable Red Sox schedule..." It will provide you a nice one-page list of all games this season. Perfect to have at work or home to keep track of games.
    isn't this the thread? Hmmm
    My bad, I did not see it scrolling down.
    Lester stunk
    Crawford stunk
    Bard really stunk

Ellsbury excellent
    Ortiz exciting as ever

Credit the Rangers for a helluva comeback.

Not a good start to the season, but they lost the first game of the season in 2004 and 2007.
    Papelblown must have been smiling inside that it wasn't him.
    Well, at least JD Blew did not have a bad opening day. image
    Blew could not drive in Youk from 3rd. Nice going. image
    Lackey sucks again. What a surprise.
    Wow, $16 million a year for hanging curve balls, BP fastballs, and Grand Slams.

It's early and I am on the Lackey hate wagon already.
    other than Lester (who should have three more bad starts to get out of his system) and Buchholz, the Sox have nobody starting pitcher-wise they can depend on to turn in a so-called quality start with any semblance of regularity. The 95% of experts predicting the Sox winning the WS seemingly forgot about that.

So what will it take for the Sox to get a starting pitcher this year? Deplete the AAA and AA prospects plus another from the MLB club for someone like Felix Hernandez before the NYY do it?

Lacking gets 17 million a year, doesn't he? image

<< <i>Wow, $16 million a year for hanging curve balls, BP fastballs, and Grand Slams.

It's early and I am on the Lackey hate wagon already. >>

ok, poor guy gets only sixteen million.

I never got off the Lacking hatewagon from last year, so you are late to it.

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow, $16 million a year for hanging curve balls, BP fastballs, and Grand Slams.

It's early and I am on the Lackey hate wagon already. >>

ok, poor guy gets only sixteen million.

I never got off the Lacking hatewagon from last year, so you are late to it. >>

I have been on his hatewagon since July of last year -- but was willing to give him a chance for redemption. I now realize redemption is futile and his contract is now an albatross.
    it's sad when you start thinking, "wow, we have Beckett coming up soon, we will do better then"
    I have now moved Lackless into my Mike Timlin position. At least Dicek began to look good late in Spring Training.

Nice hustle by Ellsbury and the Ortiz homer made it feel like we were on our way.

When Beltre hit the slam, I switched over to Mecum Auto Auctions.

<< <i>it's sad when you start thinking, "wow, we have Beckett coming up soon, we will do better then" >>

And it will be desperate if we start thinking "I think we can get some quality starts from Wakefield now that Beckett and Dice-K suck"
    as Francona walked out to the mound to yank Wheeler I remembered that college basketball is on. Sweet. Three pointers that won't come off of Sox starters!
    U-G-L-Y
    Shaq is coming back against the Pistons tonight

(I know which thread this is, I just wanted to post some good news)
    I took Lester, Lackey and Buchholz for my fantasy baseball team this year. Anyone care to guess how my team is doing this week?

<< <i>I took Lester, Lackey and Buchholz for my fantasy baseball team this year. Anyone care to guess how my team is doing this week? >>

image I can understand Lester and Buchholz. I fully expect each to learn where the lower half of the strike zone is very soon. Lacking...that was fantasy thinking.
    Lackey is plain awful
    What is more concerning to you: Salty starting 0-10 at the plate or pitchers he handled giving up 11 home runs, 26 runs, and 34 hits in 3 games? I'm going with his performance behind the plate as opposed to at the plate. It wouldn't be fair to blame him for all those hits, but I have to wonder if Varitek would have called these games better.
    neither catcher called for or would have called for belt high fastballs middle middle or hanging curves. 0-10 is concerning, I'm sure Varitek would have been at least 1-10, but likely not much more.

The pitchers own their results
    will the Sox be winless for their home opener???

good lord, this is getting hideous....Dice K tommorow night not making me feel any better either.
    UGLY