Home Sports Talk

The 2011 Boston Red Sox

Comments

• Slackey was pitaful last night!!!! He couldn't throw strikes to hitters with a BA of below .200 - I think there were 3 of them in the lineup for the Mariners. And then when he did - it would be a cookie or batting practice fastball that they could handle. Three HR's bailed him out of another loss. Why Tito even brought Lackey out to start the 7th - is beyond me. Up by 2 runs two left handed hitters to start the inning and Lackey was already over 100 pitches and the lefty F Morales was already ready warmed up. Come on Tito - I know you're a better manager than that!!!
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Yea but don't forget, he was pitcher of the week.

Well slap me silly!

What a joke.

Francoma wins umpire of the week ejection award !
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Francoma wins umpire of the week ejection award ! >>

and DeMarlo Hale wins the Francoma stupid move of the week award for sending D. MacDonald in the 8th with Reddick batting. Reddick (like most of the AL lately) had no chance against Brandon League in the 9th, but he seemed to be timing pitches well during his CS-curtailed at-bat in the 8th.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bailed in the 2nd inning at the 5-0 level. Too bad we come up 2 short for the win.

More positive vibes today. Odd to fly home for 2 with the Rays then back out to KC for 3...would make more sense to go to KC first, but what do I know?

Well, you guys got to suffer through a game today just like I did last night.

So much for the good feelings about todays game.
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Wow, triple play!
    Ortiz out indefinitely with bursitis. Now in a walking boot and could be gone for the season.

BUMMER !!!!

Put him on the dl and bring up Lavarnway before the end of the month so he will be available for the post season.

<< <i>Ortiz out indefinitely with bursitis. Now in a walking boot and could be gone for the season.

BUMMER !!!! >>

He is not even supposed to land on the DL.
    Other than Ellsbury, a rather inept performance under pefect baseball conditions...at home. How can so much talent do so little?
  • Agreed. Did the Sox really have less than 10 hits in that entire
    3 game series???? Geeeesh image
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards

That's why I say bring up Lavarnway, he could supply some spark.
    The Red Sox are simply not playing like a cohesive team. No matter who they might bring up, I doubt it'd make much difference.

These are the times when playing teams we should be beating that championship opportunities begin to slip away.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't call the Rays a "beatable" team, especially with Price, Shields and Sox nemeis Niemann pitching....there have already been 2 or 3 slides like this during this season...each time they rebound by winning 9 of 12 or something like that....I'm not too worried.

Wake me up when October arrives....
  • Any truth to Youk going on the DL to bring up Lavarnway?
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    According to the Globe, that's exactly what happened. Youk to DL

Good move!
    Let's hope he performs as well in the bigs as he did in the minors. Pitboss may be spot on, Lavarnway may well be the spark they need. The rest of the team needs to get in gear and put together a nice string of wins.
  • I was starting to worry about the lack of offense here lately and now with both Youk & Papi out - hopefully someone can start to get hot (other than Pedroia) and get some clutch hits. Does anyone know when Crawford is going to finally show up for the Sox?

I went to the 3 games in Seattle and the offense looked anemic - then returned to Boston to get 9 hits over 3 games against TB? I'm not so sure I like what I've seen over the last week. Ya don't have to be a genius to know that the pitching isn't going to carry this team - they need to pick up the offense!!
    Crawford has been a big bust so far, nowhere near the expectation. Lavarnway didn't exactly light the place up, hopefully he can contribute soon.

Miller stepped up yesterday and the hitting improved some.

Lets hope they get better from here as they are headed ti Texas from here on Monday.
    Miller did step up and it is the kind of performance you expect or want out of Lackey.

I don't know why Francoma thinks Wakefield can go 100 pitches.

Then he brings in 2 worthless pitchers.

Scutaro should have had that ground ball.

We need a real shortstop bad!
    missed a bunch of games while in Chicago...

nice to see tonight's game and the Sox get screwed by the ump at first on Reddick's catch. Cost them a run.

Oh, how the heck did Crawford ever win a gold glove?

Gonzales finally found his home run bat.

They looked good tonight.

Lavarnway is going to be a very impressive player.
    Always nice to get a win when Lackey pitches.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    nice lead for Beckett
    Ted...check PM

Al

Crawford seems to be coming out of it and just in time and the yankees lose another one.
    it is difficult to believe that the Sox are in position to win a series against the Rangers. Rangers have owned the Sox recently, so this is a good sign if Boston can take three of four.
  • Miller vs. Ogando tonight - I don't like the Sox chances.
    Why worry, The Toad is sitting on the bench, after being saved by a strong offensive performance (again).

Maybe we have our # 3 starter in Miller. He pitched one hell of a game tonight.

• << <i>Miller vs. Ogando tonight - I don't like the Sox chances. >>

Well slap me stupid.

Just a thought for the day/night DH on Sat. The Sox will now have two days rest for the yankees coming in on Tue. If it's ugly in B-more on Sunday - maybe they could hit up a DH on Monday and have to go into Fenway after that.
    I think Oritz and Gonzalez decided that they're not about to let some skinny kid lead the team in HR. With Ellsbury chasing, they have plenty more work to do.
    I was just perusing statistics for the AL and compiled a list of pitchers who have pitched 100 innings and have a worse ERA than John Lackey.

Here it is:

• TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>I was just perusing statistics for the AL and compiled a list of pitchers who have pitched 100 innings and have a worse ERA than John Lackey.

Here it is: >>

image That made me laugh out loud.

Sox looked much better against the Rangers this time through.
    6-2, not a bad trip

Francoma strikes again. He sticks with Wakefield for 8 runs even though it was obvious he did not have it from the beginning.

Give him the loss instead of wake.
    UG-LY

Maybe pop two today. Honestly don't think Tito wanted to pull Wake in the middle of the inning and so early in the game. Just my thoughts, either way a nasty beat. Oakland has won 7 out of their last 10, so although their standings don't reflect it, they still have a lot of spunk left...even though the Yankees slammed them...pun intended.

the real Matt Albers has finally stood up. He's been getting a beating just about every time out for the last month
    Albers is rapidly approaching Toad status...he would of course be the fourth Toad, behind Lackluster, JD Drewless and Jenks who has quietly secured his spot in the Toad roster. It gives me a migraine to think between the Toad Trifecta that our wonderful (but clueless) GM is shelling out $36M for these three bozos.

Incredible as it is, between Pedroia and Ellsbury, they get a comparatively paltry $8M+ but are truly the anchors of the whole team. The Toad Trifecta are paid 5 times more, but contribute next to nothing. Had it not been for the offense, I suspect Uber Toad would not have half the wins he has.

Let's hope today is good day, time to make some hay and grab a bit of a cushion...the Yankees are coming, the Yankees are coming.
    My TOAD list:

1. Jenks ( worthless)

2. Albers ( worn out)

3. Drew ( turn him over - well done)

4. Wakefield ( just doesn't have it anymore)

5.Lackey ( somewhat valuable because he will keep you in a game, 5th starter)

I think we have to eliminate Wake from your Toad list...he has done a lot over the years for the Red Sox. While he hasn't gotten the message of when to leave the stage, I suspect he's hanging around to top Clemens' all-time win list, of which he is just a few short. I'll give Wakefield a pass. I'd encourage management to retire Wakefield next year with a big hooplah thing at Fenway, pop for the corvette and send him off with a big smile. Hey, Remy got a new Mustang...the green color was not my color of choice, but this after 20 years of broadcasting. I wonder where that Mustang is now.

As for the others on your list...put them all in a fish wrapper, Toads all.

BTW, the mysterious script has reappeared on the wall directly behind the umpire...how about you local guys ask around and see what it is or means. The first one with the correct explanation gets to spend an evening with Paul's Perkies (assuming your health can take the pressure) image.

GL with Irene up there!!! Gorgeous day in Atlanta, 91 and blue skies.

If I was Fran-coma I would let him pitch in relief when the game is not in question but not start but I am not him.

I know he will let him start and just hope he has a pitcher warmed up and ready to go right away instead of what I saw last night.
    Whoever decided that a day-night double header could be played in Fenway today is a moron...or, in typical New England vernacular...wicked dumb !!

How could they not figure the rain bands that always preceed hurricanes? Major duh here !! Once the consensus of the path was determined, simple math, speed divided into distance from Boston would give even a 5 year old the appox time for the first rain event. The field is now actually too dangerous to play on...what we DON'T need is a twisted ankle or worse.

Looks to me like game one is in da bag as they will undoubtedly cancel and the Sox win because it's an official game. As for the ticket holders for game 2, they get refunds. I say tell Oakland to head to Logan ASAP, the others go home and wait things out. Get nice and rested for you know who. Why put off the inevitable, they ain't gonna play no mo today.

Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield

Management wanted to play a doubleheader yesterday but the players said no way after just getting in at 5 AM so they went with the 2

games today instead. Everyone knew that it would not happen.

Just be thankful the Yankees get to play 2 tomorrow and I think they also have one Monday.

Their pitching should be in shambles by Tuesday. (He He)
    Cannot believe they are actually playing again. Let's just hope nobody gets hurt. I still think the whole weekend shouldh've been postponed given weather conditions. I guess they couldn't start game 2 without completing game 1.

Any guesses how turbulent that plane ride is gonna be for the As as they leave Logan?

Not likely any games played in NY tomorrow, let alone Monday...gonna have to be some make ups somewhere.

I guess I shouldn't complain, after all, it is Saturday, which is normally the non Red Sox day for me.

Yea, had to switch to another channel because NESN went black on me but all is well that ends well.

I doubt they will get the 2nd game started but that is ok. We have Nascar and the Patriots on tonight so we have something to watch.