Home Sports Talk
Options

The 2011 Boston Red Sox

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sweep of the A's in the double header. Took forever, but it was worth it.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Long day of baseball.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given the rain I saw at Fenway during game 1, I thought there was no way on this earth they were gonna get game 2 in...wow, what a mess, but we'll take the double win and bump the lead over you know who.

GL to you guys up there with Irene !!!
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Yankees lost the first one. 2 1/2 game lead now!
  • Options
    someone help me remember...when was the last time the Sox had a starting pitcher as bad as #41?
  • Options

Oh we have had many of them over the years. Most recently how about Dice-k.

The Red Sox tonight could not hit their way out of a paper bag tonight to save the toads skin.

• Options
    SIXTEEN LOBs...SIX-FRIGGIN-TEEN Are you kiddin me ???

PATHETIC PEFORMANCE. Our team sucked and deserved to lose...in spite of El Toado. This is how championsips are won and lost...we ain't goin' in the right direction with this kinda crap. They wouldh've heard a resounding BOO from me last night.
  • Options

<< <i>Oh we have had many of them over the years. Most recently how about Dice-k.

The Red Sox tonight could not hit their way out of a paper bag tonight to save the toads skin. >>

Matsuzaka's worst full-season (for him, let's say 140 innings or more) ERA was 4.69. #41 is closer to six than he is to five.
  • Options

Dice k is a head case and deserves the toad list too.

The bats showed up tonight and Becket was good enough to win so all is well that ends well.
  • Options
    Paplebon and Bard have been lights out almost all year. If our staters can get through the 7th it will be lights out.
  • Options
    I am blown away that a team with such talent can have 16 LOBs in one game and then the next game is that of a very well played game!! I guess that's why we watch the games.

Must say, Papelbon was "turn out the lights, the parties over"...geez, don't ya miss those GLORIOUS MNF games when Dandy Don was in the booth ??? !!! Man, I sure do. His banter with Cosell was beyond classic.

I have unintentionally overlooked Dice-k in the Toad arena. He is now officially one of the Toadus Alumnus...therefore we now have a bit of a growing list.

I say cut two Toads salary in half, they would be Uber Toad (Lacking), and Uber Toad II (JD Can't)...and give their coin to Ellsbury and Pedroia. In monetary comparisons, these two guys are almost paupers compared to the Toadies. Was saddened to hear that JD is returning from the DL, but glad to hear that Youk is to be reactivated.

How sweet was Papi's homer into the bleachers??? That was one heck of a hit...nice that the big cheeze was in the booth when he did it.
  • Options

JD didn't quite make it back, he sprained his middle finger somehow yesterday. Hmmm---
  • Options
    JD Blew is enjoying his last paycheck at Red Sox expense. His contract expires when the Sox play their last game this year. That's $14 million off the books. I thought it a good sign that Weaver of the LAA signed a contract extension rather than opting for FA, despite being a Boras client. Maybe the Sox will see an opportunity with Ellsbury to get something done in the offseason to buy out a year or two or more of his FA years. They did it with Lester, Pedroia, and Youkilis, so maybe they will have a chance with Ellsbury.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully Burnett will burn out tonight early!
  • Options
    TEN LOBs...and the ship sinks. The Red Sox cannot continue to fail to score runs when opportunities abound. Who better to have at the plate than Gonzalez...and how more painful to see a called strike three?

If the Sox fail in postseason play, IMO, it will be because of their lack of key hits when runners are either on 2nd or 3rd, especially when playing teams in their Division.

The swing went from 1.5 to .5, shouldh've been 2.5. And now the Rangers!!
  • Options
    I thought it more painful that Gonzalez swung at the first three (or four?) pitches that were all out of the strike zone. Gonzalez just hasn't had any mojo for the last week or so.
  • Options
    I predict this stamp (to be released next summer, supposedly) will be popular in New England:

• Options

Another game I can't watch!
  • Options
    I gave up when Albers came in...quickly heading for the Toad list...gee, it's growing!!

ADRSP = Another Dismal Red Sox Performance
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fugly. Back to Pawtucket for Miller.

Looks like Wake will get another chance at #200 now.
  • Options
    little did I know that the Ted Williams stamp would have been the best Sox news of the day image
  • Options
    made it out of the first inning with no runs allowed...progress!
  • Options
    Amazing how they can look good one day, crappy the next, then good again. Much needed win over TX this PM. Gotta keep the pace. Has Crawford finally woken up???

El Toado tomorrow. imageimage
  • Options

Another terrible game pitched by the toad.
  • Options
    Mr Toadus Maximus is really stinking up Fenway. I turned the game off after the "errant" throw to first base...a quick peek now tells me it's 6-0...another looming loss after a stellar day yesterday. Oh gee, Dubront gone now as it has balloned to 9-0 and who do I see...Albers??? Are you SHI$$ING me?

I suspect our post-season experience will be somewhat limited, like maybe not even get beyond the wild-card event.

So much talent, where are the big win streaks?

I am now leaving to sit out on my deck and enjoy the light rain upcoming from TS Lee...and the 10 or so hummingbirds that are so delightful. I think a nice glass of wine is in order...CLICK!!!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>41 sux >>

Ya think!!!!
  • Options
    I am going cold turkey...no Red Sox games for one week. The team to me at this point is not cohesive or focused. Pedroia and Ellsbury can't do it all. Middle reflief is about as bad as it gets and the starting pitching is cobbled together with an aging Wakefield who badly wants # 200, but his zip ain't zippin. The record will show a HEAP of LOBs in games that should have been won...these things quickly catch up in the wonderful month of September.

The toad list grows and at this point we'll be fortunate to capture the wild card, although it does appear to be at least a lock. The Yankees have the hapless O's in to heap more grief on them and extend the lead, allowing for a breather for Girardi et al.

Carry on, that is all.
  • Options
    The wheels are starting to fall off
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Wow, you guys sound like you are already out of it...lots of complaints here. Bosox are only 2.5 games out of first place. With that record, things cant be THAT bad in Beantown!
  • Options

I too have not watched the last couple of games because of other things I had to do but am hopeful they will be able to get it together. 2 1/2 games is not a lot.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Stumbling toward the finish line. Looking banged up and old.

The challenge will not be to catch the Yankees, but to stay ahead of the Rays.

Then first round at Texas, or Detroit and Verlander. Neither scenario promising.
    Capecards
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poor Wake can't get a break. That was the worst performance by Bard in his entire Red Sox career!
  • Options

<< <i>Poor Wake can't get a break. That was the worst performance by Bard in his entire Red Sox career! >>

it's not all about getting a break, it's a lot about not giving up five runs in five innings.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I'm not worried about the Sox not making the playoffs but I'm getting really worried about what will happen once they get there. Looking at the potential ALDS matchups makes me nervous.

Detroit has Verlander for probably 2 games if needed.
    Anaheim has Weaver, Haren, and Santana all firing on all cylinders.
    Texas has CJ Wilson pitching lights out and their offense has proven they can score against the Red Sox.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not worried about the Sox not making the playoffs but I'm getting really worried about what will happen once they get there. Looking at the potential ALDS matchups makes me nervous.

Detroit has Verlander for probably 2 games if needed.
    Anaheim has Weaver, Haren, and Santana all firing on all cylinders.
    Texas has CJ Wilson pitching lights out and their offense has proven they can score against the Red Sox. >>

Agreed...Lets hope the Sox continue this crap now and completely shed it come playoff time.
  • Options
    Right now the pitchers are getting hurt and the hitters are having trouble hitting. Not exactly the best formula for winning.
  • Options

Is it time yet for the old saying "wait till next year"?

It's getting close to it.
  • Options
    I temporarily broke my self-imposed hiatus and peeked last night (couldn't handle the speech !!)...WOW, what timing, just as the Jays went up 4-0 in the 2nd.

Pitching is a hodge-podge of the walking wounded and you can't win without a solid pitching staff. Getting key hits is dismal. I haven't done any analysis of LOBs, but I suspect if I did it would be an eye-popping stat.

We will limp into the Wild Card, but then it's Patriot's time. Hate to say it, but the Red Sox team is just not a solid force at this point. Unless there is a genuine BIG turnaround, it will indeed be Pat's time.

• Options
    Pat's Monday night!

Now official Red Sox are in wait until next year mode.

Time for official Pat's thread.
  • Options
    Red Sox gotta win it! I don't want to see the Rays again. Our Tigers are 6-1 against them this season (1-5 against the Sox), but I still fear their pitching more!! How is Clay doing??
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    The Red Sox still have 7 more games against Tampa Bay.

Right now the Sox are 6 games ahead of Tampa Bay in the loss column.

You do the math.
    Capecards
  • Options

Tampa Bay is going to win at least 6 of those games is my prediction.
  • Options
    I'd bet my baseball card collection (substantial $$) that the Red Sox will easily win the Wild Card. They will do ok or better against TB with 7 games to play with them. At least one, hopefully 2 against NY, and the silver lining here is 6 games remaining with the hapless Orioles.

The problem comes when they face the Rangers and or Detroit. Now with Youkilis having a hip problem and out of the lineup, it just seems like each day brings more and more bad news...google Red Sox injuries 2011...pick a link. They are rapidly becoming the walking wounded. Even Bedard has joined the hurt brigade.

I think it will take a small miracle, much like the comeback in '04 to pull off a trip to the WS this year...I just don't see it...sad to say. Face it, the pitching just isn't there and the bats are spotty at best. NOBODY on this board is a bigger Red Sox fan than me, but it is what it is and it ain't good.
  • Options

<< <i>Tampa Bay is going to win at least 6 of those games is my prediction. >>

Looks like 1 down already. Oh it's only the 3rd inning what am I sasaying.
  • Options
    FWIW...the Rays have 7 more games with the Yankees.
  • Options
    They will take 4 or 5 of them too.

This is going to be a back in for somebody.

The Rays have the best pitching by far.
  • Options
    Random thoughts

Even Gordon Edds has seen enough of slackey.

The dl list doesnt exist in Sept but put Lackey on it anyway and get him out of sight.

They are going to try the kid from Albuquerque again today.

The Yankees are doing as badly as the Red Sox if that's any consolation.

All season long at least the hitting was there but that too has gone away.

How come all the Red Sox infielders think you have to get their throws to 1st base on the hop instead of in the air.
  • Options
    I think if Pedrioa remembers how to hit, the Sox do fine (assuming #41 isn't pitching)
  • Options
    As I have said on numerous occasions...Ellsbury and Pedroia can't do it all. Ortiz, Gonzalez have become no shows with only glimpses of help. We ain't gonna win without a cohesive attack on all fronts. The mid-relief is beyond pathetic. If I see Albers come in again you will all hear a huge CLICK. You will get sickened if you google Red Sox payroll for 2011...beyond belief for the ROI. They are paid astronimcal salaries to produce, not underperform.

At this point I have all but written off the 2011 season. No win streaks and taking 1 out of 3 or worse ain't gonna get it. Injuries or not, it is beyond time to Cowboy up!!!!

GO Pats!!!