Home Sports Talk

The 2011 Boston Red Sox

Comments

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Game #2 went as expected. If the Red Sox and Yankees keep this up the wild card goes to the Yankees and the Red Slops will wait until next year.

I thought that maybe today with Lester and Shields pitching I could sit down and watch a good game . Boy was I mistaken.

Looks like it's going to be #3 today although I will not see any more of it. Why in the world does FranCOMA LEAVE HIM IN FOR THAT LONG WHEN IT WAS CLEAR IN THE 1ST INNING HE HAD NOTHING TODAY?
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought that maybe today with Lester and Shields pitching I could sit down and watch a good game . Boy was I mistaken.

Looks like it's going to be #3 today although I will not see any more of it. Why in the world does FranCOMA LEAVE HIM IN FOR THAT LONG WHEN IT WAS CLEAR IN THE 1ST INNING HE HAD NOTHING TODAY? >>

who is he going to put in there that doesn't suck lately?

Exactly.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In comes Toad Albers, out goes da ball for the 4-bagger and puts the game out of reach.

Dandy Don Meredith is warming up...if this crap keeps up, the lights indeed will be out for this season. May well be they lose the wild card berth, never thought it would get this bad.

I say bring on MNF !!

The whole team just plain sucks right now!
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Keep the faith, y'alls team isn't bad enough to choke up the wild card. Y'all will hang on. I keep telling myself the same thing about the Angels catching the Rangers. The Rangers aren't bad enough to have enough of a meltdown to blow it. Good luck! Everything starts over in a couple of weeks and will make these past couple of weeks mean absolutely nothing.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
    Mike...we ain't got the pitchin' and the bats ain't hittin'. Middle relief is abysmal and the LOBs are in the astronoical range. The team is not cohesive and clearly dejected at this point.

Only a recovery on the magnitude of the '04 comeback of 8 in a row will see success at this point for the Red Sox. If we make the WC I suspect we'll hit a brick wall.

It is what it is, and it ain't pretty.

• My friends and I say "Hey hey Hey it's Maaaat Albers" when he walks out (like the beginning of Fat Albert)
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, folks, keep writing them off. That may piss them off enough to get hot in the playoffs! image
    Connecticoin...pls check PM.

<< <i>Connecticoin...pls check PM. >>

PM answered.
    The former Red Sox player #24, aka ManRam arrested in Fl for battery on his wife Juliana. Claim is he slapped her face, and she hit her head on a bed post causing further injuires. Bail was $2.5k, less than a pittance to #24. Sad but not surprising to me to see this incredibly talented person spiral downward, running from the pos drug test to retiring, running off to Spain with his dad and then this.
    And just to brighten everybody's day...

Wakefield; Uber Toad; Miller and Weiland...who is Weiland? Dunno.

Yanks up by 4, Rays only 3 back in the WC, 16 games to go.

GO PATS !!!!!!!
  • The Pats looked good last night. But the score was a little closer than it should have been when you have a QB throw for 500+ yards.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I'm now officially worried. Looking at the pitchers they face over the next 6 days makes me nervous that come Monday morning they will be looking up at the Rays.

This collapse will rival '78 and anything the Mets did 4-5 years ago. For the supposed "best team in Red Sox history", it's a very sobering thought.
  • Lester not winning his game was pivotal, in my opinion. With Beckett out, it was imperative that Lester be the stopper. I went from "not worried" about a week ago to "getting worried" at that point. Hopefully Beckett can come back soon and come back strong. Otherwise, I agree. It'll be 1978 2.0.
    I gave up being worried. They either do or don't do and the way they are playing I really don't give a ----. You fill in the blank!
  • _ _ _ _ = hoot?

<< <i>_ _ _ _ = hoot? >>

That works!
    6 run lead, 2 innings to go, and I am still nervous.
    out on a limb here, but in the eighth with a nine run lead, I will say congrats to Wakefield for number two hundred! I do hope this is his last year. Pitching six innings and letting up five earned is not stellar.

oops, now it is a twelve run lead...yikes!
    OK, now 17-5. I think Wake will get #200 now. image
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Congrats to Wake. About time. Should have gotten it a long time ago. I can remember so many games this year and in years passed where the pitched well, but just didn't have any run support. With any bit of luck, he would have surpassed both Clemens and Cy Young as the all time Red Sox win leader by now. Doesn't look like he'll reach that goal now given his age, but at least he got No. 200 (finally).

They won because I didn't watch it tonight.

<< <i>I think if Pedrioa remembers how to hit, the Sox do fine (assuming #41 isn't pitching) >>

a little breathing room with the Rays loss...did not see that coming with Price on the mound last night....if they carry this 4-game lead into the TB series, they will just need to walk away with a split to pretty much lock it up.
    Winning the WC is not the issue...it's surviving the playoffs against either Texas or Detroit. While the bats went crazy last night, can they continue to groove or not? Ortiz now has issues...we cannot survive without established position players.

The pitching has got to seriously improve...Uber Toad tonight. imageimageimage

Hope I'm wrong!!!

• << <i>Winning the WC is not the issue...it's surviving the playoffs against either Texas or Detroit . . . Hope I'm wrong!!! >>

I think the same way. I believe they are still going to get the Wild Card (though I am a little nervous still) but if Lester is the only guy that can manage a quality start there is no way the Red Sox will survive in the playoffs. It seems to me that good hitting will carry you through the regular season. But it is good pitching that will carry you through the playoffs. And right now, the Red Sox don't have good pitching.
    If you're at work...4-2 Red Sox in the 6th
    I think all the use that Bard has this year has caught up. He needs to be shut down before he runs into the problems so many other relievers have when they make too many appearances for their age
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew the Sox would explode for some serious offense soon enough, hopefully they keep it going, Im not bent on them winning the division as long as they secure the wildcard and keep the bats going is all I ask for.
  • Gut-wrenching loss today. With Lackey giving up less than 8 runs for a change, this was a chance for the Sox to get away with one.
    It was hard to watch Bard implode. After the game Pedroia was seen on the dugout steps... he kinda looked like his dog had just died.
    Gonzalez has to be the first player in history to be pulled from the game for straining a muscle on a home run trot.

Baseball makes me ill sometimes.

Turn them over, They are done.
    I watched LSU - MS State last night. Looks like I made the right decision.

Dandy Don is rapidly approaching the microphone. 2-8 last 10...that ain't championship #s.

Oh, BTW, we've lost Youk again. Simply put, we suck right now. Oh my goodness, Fat Albers was in the game! He shall now be known as Uber Uber Toadus Maximus.

Going, GOING ...G
    seems the wind blowing in only affected the balls the Sox hit. The balls were leaving the yard easily off of the Tampa bats image
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    The ESPN computer model still gives the Red Sox an 88% chance of making the playoffs.

And the Rays have 7 more games against the Yankees.

Just trying to throw a glimmer of optimism into the discussion.
    Capecards
    I stopped watching the " GAME" when the ball and bat arrived at Scuttaro at the same time and he did not know which to catch so got out of the way.

• << <i>The ESPN computer model still gives the Red Sox an 88% chance of making the playoffs.

And the Rays have 7 more games against the Yankees.

Just trying to throw a glimmer of optimism into the discussion. >>

I sure the ESPN computer used the "east coast bias factor" when computing there chances. Sox stink right now and the only hope they have is 6-7 games against the Orioles...
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi

Well they pulled that one out tonight.
  • I was pretty happy with tonight's game. It's good to have Beckett back and Bard and Papelbon both came through.
    Aceves and Ellsbury, I'm not sure which has been the bigger surprise this year. The team is not where it is now with either of those guys having an "as expected" year.
    Crap, Lester need to step up -- giving up 4 runs is good for Wake and Lackey, but not for him.
    and the hitters were zero-for-the-game with RISP
    Going, GOING, GO..

No key hits again, too many RISPs...for once I was glad I could not see the game if I wanted to. They are clearly not playing like a championship team. While the WC is easily within reach, we'll see what Wake brings today...big swing from 2 back or 4 back.

The only bright spot is 6 with the Os, while the Rays face a lot of Yankee games, like 6 more...thus the WC should be handily won. What comes next will perhaps not be pretty, unless they can get into "Cowboy up" mode.
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Of the remaining playoff contenders, they clearly have the worst pitching staff.
    Capecards

What is the sense of getting into the playoffs, they will go nowhere there. Might as well let the Rays go, they have a chance to win the whole thing with their pitching.
    Bob Ryan wrote about the Red Sox in The Boston Globe: They are down, 3–0, after last night's 19–8 rout, and, in this sport, that is an official death sentence. Soon it will be over, and we will spend another dreary winter lamenting this and lamenting that.

The above written on October 16th, 2004. The game originally scheduled for Oct 15th, was delayed because of rain. Recall that horribly dreary night in Fenway when it was cold, damp and we were getting our rear ends handed to us by the Yankees. A CRUSHING loss of 19-8, putting the Yankees up 3-0 in the playoffs. We all know what happened next, the Red Sox went 8-0 and won the WS. Considered THE greatest comeback in baseball history.

I'm not thrilled with current performance, but I'm in till the last dog dies. As mentioned several times, I think the WC is pretty well in hand...unless there is an absolute collapse, which of course is possible. Assuming we get the WC, the rest is a toss of the dice. The team needs to gel and gel quickly, the LOBs, RISPs and just lack of key hits is killing us. Should this straighten itself out, we have a shot...not a big shot, but we're in the game. The journey is not gonna be easy, but I think it's still doable. Only time will tell.

Let us try to keep the faith till it is simply out of reach.