Home Sports Talk
Options

The 2011 Boston Red Sox

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They sure are on their way this year just as promised.

What will Epstein do to help the team before the trading deadline if anything?

Lackey looked much better today. If he continues like this, we won't need anyone else this year. >>

my take: he pitched six innings, let up four runs. That's a 6.00 ERA. That blows. He's a number five starter still, at best.

As far as mid-season trades, injuries will dictate what the Sox needs will be.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

If he can pitch good enough to win then I will be happy in spite of what I think of him.
  • Options

<< <i>If he can pitch good enough to win then I will be happy in spite of what I think of him. >>

the Jack Morris HOF argument image
  • Options

What are you going to do, we still have to pay him, we may as well get as much out of him as we can.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If he can pitch good enough to win then I will be happy in spite of what I think of him. >>

the Papelbon is the next Rivera argument image >>

• Options

his problem is his attitude
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On Papelbon...if he goes (which I think he will), Bard becomes the closer with a nice contract.

Wow, Theo invests over $100m on DiceK, not much ROI !!!

Lackey has a long way to go to change my opinion. For the coin he's getting, he should be smokin' the ball much, much better than he has. He'll need to at least pick up the next 2 or 3 starts to get out of my dog house.

Bats are rockin', hopefully they can keep it up. Tampa Bay on the horizon, they always play us tough, but, then again, a great opportunity to expand the lead and really make a statement. Let's hope Lester has a good day today.
  • Options
    jimmygjimmyg Posts: 139 ✭✭
    These guys are just on a tear! I'm not a Sox fan, but love seeing streaks like this... I love the ride.
  • Options

A day of rest after a nine game win streak and then it's off to Tampa Bay. I guess I will take the wife to bingo tonight and get out of the house.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>On Papelbon...if he goes (which I think he will), Bard becomes the closer with a nice contract.

Wow, Theo invests over $100m on DiceK, not much ROI !!!

Lackey has a long way to go to change my opinion. For the coin he's getting, he should be smokin' the ball much, much better than he has. He'll need to at least pick up the next 2 or 3 starts to get out of my dog house.

Bats are rockin', hopefully they can keep it up. Tampa Bay on the horizon, they always play us tough, but, then again, a great opportunity to expand the lead and really make a statement. Let's hope Lester has a good day today. >>

For as good as Theo is with draft picks, he is that bad with FA signings. I look at Crawford, Lackey, Renteria, Drew, lugo and DiceK....that is enough to get most GM's fired. Then on the flip side he has won it all in 2004 and 2007.
  • Options

I feel that all these players are very overpaid anyway and if you pay them that kind of money you are just hurting all of your fans as you have

to raise the prices we all pay to see the games. I have not been to a ball game in 20 years because of what they charge for seats. If it's on TV

I will watch it, if not, oh well.
  • Options

Tuesday's game should be interesting. The Red Sox have a 4 1/2 game lead over the Rays and Wakefield is pitching. Let's hope he has a good knuckler going for him. He will be backed up by Aceves. We shall see.
  • Options

Wakefield pitched a good game but not good enough but Beckett more than made up for it with his onw hitter last night.

The Yankees are now without both Jeter and Colon for 15 days minimum. Can they survive?
  • Options
    The Achilles heel for the Yankees is their pitching staff. The only bright spots are CC and Rivera...I think the Yankees will come way short of the big party come October.

OTOH, the Red Sox appear to have come out of their funk, winning 10 of 11 games and all cylinders on fire. Drew (I call him Boat Anchor) is incredibly inept given his pay scale and Papelbon remains scary when he comes in. Things are looking good so far, hopefully it continues.
  • Options

Maybe they can work a trade and send Pap and Drew to the Mets (or anybody that will take them) for a couple of players to be named later.
  • Options
    if the Sox simply ensure a six or seven run lead entering the ninth, Papelbon should be good to go
  • Options

I don't think he is going to make the kind of deal he thinks he can in free agency.

Maybe the Yankees will need him for a setup man.
  • Options
    baseball GMs should have learned from the money that went to Fuentes, K-Rod, and Soriano that closers are not where the money should go. Bullpens should not require serious money to get best performance (Tampa Bay does it well).
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Say what you will about how terrible the Oakland A's are this year, but that concept is one thing that I think Billy Beane absolutely nailed and his theory of not spending serious money on closers is reproven every season.
  • Options
    Papelbon starts shaky (AGAIN), but smokes them after 2 on base.

If the Red Sox keep this up, I have no doubt they'll be there in October. As mentioned elsewhere, I think the Yankees pitching is so shallow that they will not make the dance.

Milwaukee no cake walk, but the team is home and that does make a difference. Hope Youkilis didn't hurt the ankle too badly.

VOTE FOR THE ALL STAR GAME

Everybody have a great weekend!!
  • Options

I almost have a heart attack when I see Pap's coming in with a one or two run lead. It's scary . We are only 4 hours away from game time, I can hardly wait. Go SOX!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I almost have a heart attack when I see Pap's coming in with a one or two run lead. It's scary . We are only 4 hours away from game time, I can hardly wait. Go SOX!!! >>

Great game ! Too bad we did not have Paps for that one. I would have felt comfortable with him coming in to close that one out.

Big day in Boston today with the Bruins parade followed by the Red Sox.
  • Options
    I think the Cup will be in Fenway for Sundays game.
  • Options
    After a very frustrating attempt with Directv to get NESN I finally gave up. I was AMAZED at how many NESN broadcasts were "not available in your area" or otherwise blacked out. All I wanted was to watch some local Boston sports, especially Charlie Moore...who was shown during last night's game. For those who may not know, Charlie does a fishing show and takes celebs/players to various New England ponds/lakes and has a great, fun time catching fish. He's hillarious as you could tell by his enormous grin and happy go lucky attitude. There of course were tons of other sports broadcasts with vintage Red Sox programming, etc, etc. How on earth the programming (that I was willing to pay for) would be restricted to me in Atlanta, a thousand miles from Boston is beyond me.

How I would love to have been able to watch the Bruins parade today...oh well!!

So, the question of the day is...did Lackey really win the game, or, did the bats and defense save his bacon?? I suggest the latter, espcially Predoia's snag for the double play. Papelbon on day two of a two day suspension, which in essence is no suspension at all because he pitched two nights ago.

Drew...P A T H E T I C
  • Options

Once again Lackluster was not great until the 3rd inning when he started to pitch well but it was Pedroia that saved the bacon. Gonzales is fabulous and Drew sucks.
  • Options
    We can't Drew out of here fast enough.
  • Options
    While surfing the channels, I stumbled onto the hockey channel that was (and still is) broadcasting the celebration parade in Boston. Beautiful Beantown day, fabulous crowd.
  • Options

It looks like they are having a great time. At my age though, I could not do it but I am happy for those who can. I remember one new years eve back in 59 at times square and in 64 for the opening of the worlds fair, they were fantastic times.
  • Options
    I grew up in the Boston area...Lowell to be exact, about 25 miles NNW of Boston right on the New Hampshire line. Graduated High School in 1961, yup, 50 years have passed...my only claim to fame is that I'm the youngest of the bunch, graduating at the age of 16, turning 17 just 2 months later. Somehow times were better then, life was a bit slower paced, but everybody seemed to get along and I recall tons and tons of wonderful memories. How cool were the "sock hops" where the DJ actually spun 45 RPM records and the beverage of choice was an ice cold coke for a mere 10 cents. Gas was 28 cents a gallon and yes, I walked about 1.5 miles to school every day, even in those brutal New England winters. We turned out pretty good I think. Overall, I'd love to have those days back again and know what I know now!!! I might well have turned left a few times instead of the path I took.

Retired now, life is good, no complaints.

Back in the day, I wouldh've been among the masses in Boston, but like pitboss, time has a way of really mellowing you out, easier to watch on tv.

• Options
    You hit the nail right on the head. I grew up in Walpgle in the mid 50.s so I had the same experiences. I remember going to Braves field to watch Warren Spann pitch as a kid.

Today's game should be interesting with Miller pitching. We shall see what he has and hopefully will not be disappointed.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    guess Beckett has a case of food poisoning(?), guess he frequents some of the dive bars around town, let hope for a quick recovery and a win tonight!
  • Options
    Latos shows lots of promise for SD. Glad he is out of the game!
  • Options
    A game we should not have lost...

Drew continues to disappoint, can't even maintain awareness of where the ball is, but continues to go into his drama finish to striking out. Had he been aware the ball got away from the catcher instead of his doofus act, he would have easily made first base and could have helped the team. Noooooooo, gotta be a drama queen and go into his high bat stance after yet another strike out.

OTOH, Ortiz' stolen base with a brief stope inbetween was pretty comical.

ELEVEN LOBs...image

• Options
    I agree, just eat the rest of his contract when Crawford gets back.

Let him go into his act somewhere else. We are tired of it.

Go with one of the kids.
  • Options
    Hey pitboss...

Spent many, many a Summer in Norwood during the 50s...who knows, might have crossed paths. My aunt and uncle lived there and I was pretty close to my 3 cousins. I vividly recall one summer day hearing about the death of Harry Agganis. I don't remember, but my aunt told me a couple of times that I cried and cried.

Ahhhhhhhhh, those Summer days in New England, espcecially the lakes in New Hampshire. It just doesn't get any better than that!!!

Hey neighbor, have a Gansett How sweet it was to hear Curt Gowdy broadcast those games on my little transistor radio while at the beach.!!!
  • Options

Yes, Norwood was where I hung out. Worked at WT Grants and spent most of my time at the sports center and Norwood racetrack on Saturday nights.
  • Options
    If you're at work, be thankful you're not watching this PATHETIC and I do mean PATHETIC performance by Lackey. Simply horrible beyond words.

Top of 4th 5-0 Padres, Lackey just pulled by Tito to a HUGE fan boo fest. Raining off and on in Boston, but no excuse with walks, hit batters and a wild pitch...this guy should be sent to the Portland Sea Dogs for a permanent rehab. We're already into the bullpen in the 4th inning. imageimage
  • Options
    I turned it off moments ago so my daughter could watch "Wow, Wow, Wubbzy"

MUCH better than watching Lacking. John Henry has to be thinking to himself, "I paid how many millions for this?"
  • Options
    this posted by Peter Abraham in his in-game blog that he posts on boston.com:

Lackey now has a 7.36 ERA. If this were a Godfather movie, he'd be getting a visit from Clemenza.

• Options
    He is doing really great today and Francona just left him in for 5 runs. You could see he didn't have it in the first inning.

I can hear it already" I am trying to protect my pitching staff, I don't want to use everybody up'.

He is as bad as lackluster!
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    For as good as the Sox have been lately they have some glaring concerns popping up. Lackey isn't getting it done. Buchholz is on the DL. Francona is talking about limiting Lester's work so he still has some gas in the tank at the end of the season. Papelbon continues to walk the edge. They have managed to patch together a pretty decent rotation anyway, but I figure there has to be a bit of a letdown at some point. Hopefully it won't hurt too much when it happens.
  • Options
    anyone look at the lineup tonight? After Ellsbury-Pedroia-Gonzalez-Youkilis it is pitifully anemic. MacDonald is the five hitter, he's hitting about .100. I don't like the looks of it.
  • Options
    Something should have been formulated to keep Ortiz's bat in the lineup...maybe Gonzalez to 3rd and you to left? Dunno, but leaving Ortiz out is not good IMO. It's not like that didn't know this was coming since the season lineup was created.
  • Options

Francona is manager, That's all I have to say.
  • Options
    Obviously in my post I meant "Youk to left"...anyway, the batting didn't show up again in key spots. I still say that somehow they shouldh've figured out how to keep Ortiz in the game. Let's hope things improve.
  • Options
    The NL blows without the DH. It is boring and it really puts the AL in a disadvantage with having to have the pitcher bat. The only thing the Sox can do to get Ortiz's bat in the line up without sitting A-Gon is to put him at first and A-Gon in right. You can't put A-Gon at 3rd and Youk in Right.
  • Options
    Sox are really, really good when they are good...and really, really bad when they are bad. No in-between this year. Series loss to Padres and Pirates? Pitiful
  • Options

Miller looks like the real deal. He did a real good job today.

We will see how Beckett is on Tuesday.

At least Francona didn't screw up the game today!

I thought paps was going to though when he walked the 1st batter in the 9th.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sox are really, really good when they are good...and really, really bad when they are bad. No in-between this year. Series loss to Padres and Pirates? Pitiful >>

• Options
    Gotta hand it to Lee, he had our number tonight !!