Home U.S. Coin Forum

Updated 7/28/11 - MH & GC ON SALE NOW -- 27,000 Numismatic ATB 2010 5oz Pucks -- **Official Pre-

Comments

• hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    Don.. Thanks for posting the photos.. I saved them off.. at least, now I have really high-res images of what my two cents' worth of Silver will look like, when it gets to my door in ten thousand years..

I still no comprendo how you got it so quickly, unless you eat a LOT of Lucky Charms, or you have a buddy at the Mint's warehouse who took a five finger discount..

That's a joke, for the humor-impaired.. image
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..

• << <i>How many of you are going to leave your ATB coin in the original unopenned packaging? I never understood this but many want to buy an unopenned package when buying on the secondary market. I guess they want to make sure they aren't getting picked over coins and getting someone else's rejects. >>

I was going to keep one of my sets sealed (DG) but it was a rainy day...I was bored ...so open it I did.

and I am Soooooooooooooooo glad I did....fantastic set of 5....very DMPL-ishish

Pro with keeping it sealed: it eliminates the yahoo's that will find some issue with the coins or bullion spot price (not returnable when opened)

Neg...well....you never know what you have inside

If it is an early Jack Hunt then sell it unopened....all others...there could be interesting things inside.
  • One more thing.....do you think the Mint will decreasing the price of the next P puck??? I bet not (but they WOULD have increased it)
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prolly already mentioned, I wish the sandblasted versions were the bullion coins and the bulluin were the collector versions.

<< <i>How many of you are going to leave your ATB coin in the original unopenned packaging? I never understood this but many want to buy an unopenned package when buying on the secondary market. I guess they want to make sure they aren't getting picked over coins and getting someone else's rejects. >>

Logical, Spock.. I like getting my picked-over rejects directly from the source, so I'm gonna open mine when it shows up, take it outta the box, admire it, then smack myself in the forehead with it a few times..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • coasterfancoasterfan Posts: 1,302
    Photo is much appreciated, but why do people photograph through plastic when the capsule can be opened?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • My mistake..ignore my previous comment regarding opening the box....my brain is still on the bullion version....

I will most definitely open my P puck boxes....GRADE 'EM DANO!
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So...on the P-puck, I'm assuming that Washington will not appear to be wearing rouge, like he does on so many of the shiny bullion versions?

<< <i>Photo is much appreciated, but why do people photograph through plastic when the capsule can be opened? >>

"Geeze, what a huge honkin' capsule.. I think I can get it open if I'm reeeeeeeeeeeealy careful.. Pry.. pry.. almost open.. just a little more pryin' around the edge and.. OOPS!.. {{slip.. CLANG!.. bounce.. CLANG!.. roll.. roll.. where'd it go?.. oh, there it is, on the other side of the room.. nice doggy.. good doggy / baby / cat / parrot / pet alligator.. don't pick up the shiny metal thing with your tee.. EEK!}}".. image

• SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, my 37340xxx at 12:04 shows on hold ISR with cancel boxes, Customer Service says, ALL ATB puck orders will undergo additional ID/CC verification, maybe 2 to 3 days additional.... don't sweat it.... so far >>

Same here. Order request on hold. 373406xx at 12:04. In stock and reserved with cancel boxes for all items ordered including 1 ATB- Hot Springs.
  • coasterfancoasterfan Posts: 1,302

<< <i>

<< <i>Photo is much appreciated, but why do people photograph through plastic when the capsule can be opened? >>

"Geeze, what a huge honkin' capsule.. I think I can get it open if I'm reeeeeeeeeeeealy careful.. Pry.. pry.. almost open.. just a little more pryin' around the edge and.. OOPS!.. {{slip.. CLANG!.. bounce.. CLANG!.. roll.. roll.. where'd it go?.. oh, there it is, on the other side of the room.. nice doggy.. good doggy / baby / cat / parrot / pet alligator.. don't pick up the shiny metal thing with your tee.. EEK!}}".. image >>

That's because you don't have the official capsule opening tool, a.k.a. miniature screwdriver. I suppose opening one of these could take awhile though, unlike the air-tites.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

• << <i>

"Geeze, what a huge honkin' capsule.. I think I can get it open if I'm reeeeeeeeeeeealy careful.. Pry.. pry.. almost open.. just a little more pryin' around the edge and.. OOPS!.. {{slip.. CLANG!.. bounce.. CLANG!.. roll.. roll.. where'd it go?.. oh, there it is, on the other side of the room.. nice doggy.. good doggy / baby / cat / parrot / pet alligator.. don't pick up the shiny metal thing with your tee.. EEK!}}".. image >>

Oh my god. I can't stop laughing!!!!!!!!!! Some of us are not as gifted as others for sure!!!!!!!!!!
  • Mine came today!!

• << <i>Mine came today!! >>

Dude! Clean out your shopping cart the day before you place your order image
  • don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mine came today!! >>

And here I was feeling special today image
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if the bullion proof-like will grow milkspots ...........image

• << <i>With the 5 ozers being so large I wonder if the bullion proof-like will grow milkspots ...........image >>

More like pizza spots....

Thus the acetone dip of every puck I submitted...
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if the bullion proof-like will grow milkspots ...........image >>

Can't non-proof-like silver also develop milk spots?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

That's because you don't have the official capsule opening tool, a.k.a. miniature screwdriver. I suppose opening one of these could take awhile though, unlike the air-tites. >>

Thin Bladed Stamp Tongs Would Work. I ave a pair of thin bladed tweezers similar to stamp tongs and they work well without the cutting hazard of a utility knife.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are way cooler than the first batch, I am glad I ordered one, very nice, is there edge lettering?

<< <i>
    That's because you don't have the official capsule opening tool, a.k.a. miniature screwdriver. I suppose opening one of these could take awhile though, unlike the air-tites. >>

I have two sets of miniature screwdrivers that have come in very handily more times than I can count.. but what reason would I possibly have for opening the HP "P" capsule?..

MY UHR has been in its capsule for a year and a half, and I've never, not once, had even the slightlest urge nor desire to open the capsule, take out that gorgeous hunk'o'Gold, and see if it has a creamy, chocolate filling.. or for any other reason..

A few times, at Long Beach shows, I had what I was fairly sure I were modern $5.00 Gold 70s, and PCGS or NGC said they wanted me to take them out of their capsules and put them in their big, squishy flips.. I did it once, prying open the capsule with my fingernails, and getting the coin into their flip, with some very careful manipulation, without my fingers ever touching the coin, but after that, I said uh-uh.. I'm NOT going to take it out of the capsule.. not if there's the slightest chance it'll go flying.. I'm going to put it in your flip IN the capsule.. your graders can take it out, and I want the capsule back.. the booth worker bees didn't argue about it, so I put the capsule(s) in the flip(s), noted "please return capsule" on the submission form(s), and they did.. and I got back 70s..

If I dis-remember incorrectly, NGC once charged me an extra $1.00 to submit a coin in a capsule..

It doesn't take much of an "oops" to turn a 70 into a 69..

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ordered mine 4/29/11 Friday.
    "In stock and reserved with cancel box still there.

Are the Proof coins more valuable, other than the Proof part?
    What's the strategy behind collecting/investing in these coins that defy gravity?

I'm surprised these HS Uncs are still available.
    Thoughts?
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm surprised these HS Uncs are still available.

Thoughts? >>

Don't know if they are available or not. The mint website says they are.

My gut tells me the HS P puck is not available - it six days since they went on sale.

Frankly, the Mint has no idea if they are for sale or not. MHO.
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>How many of you are going to leave your ATB coin in the original unopenned packaging? I never understood this but many want to buy an unopenned package when buying on the secondary market. I guess they want to make sure they aren't getting picked over coins and getting someone else's rejects. >>

I will leave mine in, I mainly bought it cause I am so tired of hearing people say items are impossible to get.

I got this one, I got the UHR no prob, I got all 20 units on the buff coin and currency-point, never had an issue
    web, phone other-no prob botanic garden, JFK set, geesh never a problem

on this my order was complete 12:02 and judging by opening numbers I was within the first 750 sold.

anyway I will pass mine on to either a board memeber of another sealed product box, I will open the outer what I consider
    "bang box" and remove my shipping invoice and send it on, sight unseen

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>These are way cooler than the first batch, I am glad I ordered one, very nice, is there edge lettering? >>

HEY BIG

wow thought you disappeared a long time ago-hope all is well with you and yours image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    I had an order confirmed & reserved today that is 37384XXX. That's 44,000+ orders since the P-Pucks went on sale. That would indicate many were cancelled...
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still here after all these years!! image

• don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just checked again.... my "P" puck will be here tomorrow by 10:30am image >>

Pictures, or it didn't happen! >>

Plain Al, I'm still waiting for your Mea Culpa image

Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL

• I ordered mine on 4/28 @ 12:10 pm. And mine still says the same as yours. I was one of the first orders and they still haven't shipped. bummer TextText
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>With the 5 ozers being so large I wonder if the bullion proof-like will grow milkspots ...........image >>

Thus the acetone dip of every puck I submitted... >>

What good do you think dipping in acetone will do?
    theknowitalltroll;

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>With the 5 ozers being so large I wonder if the bullion proof-like will grow milkspots ...........image >>

Thus the acetone dip of every puck I submitted... >>

What good do you think dipping in acetone will do? >>

Probably nothing ...but it was mentioned to "maybe" prevent spots on the graded ASE's ..and a few of my pucks had some haze and one had 5 fingerprints. All were removed at bath time....
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acetone may remove haze if it is organic in nature like grease or oil. Milk spots are silver chloride and won't be removed with acetone. Dipping in EZest is said to prevent milk spots from forming.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • CertifiedGoldCoinsCertifiedGoldCoins Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭
    ==========================================
    Track Order
    Where's my order? If your order is shipped, click the handy link to your shipment carrier to track it to your door. Otherwise, see which items are being processed.

If items in your order are backordered, you may cancel them by selecting the checkbox and clicking "Cancel Item(s)."To learn more about order status, please visit our Track Order FAQ #36 page

Order number: 37342851
    Order Date: 04/28/2011 at 12:20 AM

Order Status: Your order request has been cancelled.
    ===========================================

Why did I cancel? I have a ton of silver bullion at the bank, and thought the pucks would be a good addition to my stash. But with silver at $36.90, this issue is simply not worth the extra hundred bucks. If it had enough "numismatic value," maybe, but this is not only an unattractive design (as someone wrote here earlier, it looks like a glorified toilet), but worse, it's for an obscure "National Park."

As for those in charge of shipping, those who ordered early (see my order number) are still waiting. Hmmmm. Not first come, first served. What's up with that?

Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, OK. But this (and many other duds that will follow)? No thanks. I don't believe many people will attempt to collect all 56 for $16K, and dogs like this design will sell for bullion, (or be melted) just like the First Spouse stuff, worth more than issue price only at today's higher gold prices.

OK, that's my opinion. Fire away, hockey puck fans. image
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/

• << <i>==========================================
    Track Order
    Where's my order? If your order is shipped, click the handy link to your shipment carrier to track it to your door. Otherwise, see which items are being processed.

If items in your order are backordered, you may cancel them by selecting the checkbox and clicking "Cancel Item(s)."To learn more about order status, please visit our Track Order FAQ #36 page

Order number: 37342851
    Order Date: 04/28/2011 at 12:20 AM

Order Status: Your order request has been cancelled.
    ===========================================

Why did I cancel? I have a ton of silver bullion at the bank, and thought the pucks would be a good addition to my stash. But with silver at $36.90, this issue is simply not worth the extra hundred bucks. If it had enough "numismatic value," maybe, but this is not only an unattractive design (as someone wrote here earlier, it looks like a glorified toilet), but worse, it's for an obscure "National Park."

As for those in charge of shipping, those who ordered early (see my order number) are still waiting. Hmmmm. Not first come, first served. What's up with that?

Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, OK. But this (and many other duds that will follow)? No thanks. I don't believe many people will attempt to collect all 56 for $16K, and dogs like this design will sell for bullion, (or be melted) just like the First Spouse stuff, worth more than issue price only at today's higher gold prices.

OK, that's my opinion. Fire away, hockey puck fans. image >>

I hope they have a ton of cancellations and open it up today. I could care less about the coin. I buy to make money only. I believe silver will be going up for a few years to come so for me the downside risk is nothing. The upside potential great. Just my unhumble arrogant opinion.
  • My order moved from on hold to in process this morning. Ya hooooo
  • EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭

both my orders went from held/on hold to: Your order request is in process.

looks like it will ship soon.
  • edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, funny timing, just as he posted his cancellation, mine went from ISR on hold to ISR in process with no cncl boxes

AND!! credit card just "charged", they will likely rush to process to preempt cancellations

Order number: 3734073x

Order Date: 04/28/2011 at 12:05 AM

Order Status: Your order request is in process.

(l8-)>>

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can also blow a hole in the FIFO theory of puck order fulfillment...

My sister's order (accepted at around 12:05) is still on hold, while my order -- from after 3:00 on the first day -- is now in process.

So go figure the logic that these orders are being filled.

My only theory is that my account has a much loger history of purchases...but I doubt the Mint would play that game.
  • CertifiedGoldCoinsCertifiedGoldCoins Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭
    lightcycler, if accumulation of silver is your goal, you can buy more of it right now on eBay for the $285 the Mint wants for these five ounces. Silver is less than $37/oz. now, why pay the Mint $56? But if you really really like this ugly duckling coin, you can have mine.

<< <i>Yeah, funny timing, just as he posted his cancellation, mine went from ISR on hold to ISR in process with no cncl boxes AND!! credit card just "charged", they will likely rush to process to preempt cancellations >>

Whew! That was close. Looks like I almost got stuck with one. image
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My order, placed at 12:20 is in process as well. They must be shipping a lot of them this week.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Cancelled. Just too expensive a door stop for me at this time.
  • 2bucks2bucks Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    I just canceled my order, you can have it at this price.

Why in the world would you buy this if your simply interested in the bullion aspect of it. There are many places to purchase bullion at far less than this.

I do agree, in the long term there isn't any downside, but why wouldn't you purchase 7 ASE's for $40 ea instead? I'd much rather have 7oz instead of 5oz for the same price.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmm.

Given the price drop in Silver (down to $36.52 an ounce from the 4/28 order date price of $48.50), I wonder if the US Mint will have a price adjustment on these?

On 4/28, the bullion price was $242.50 for a $279.95 puck price. ($37.45 diff)

Today, the bullion price is $192.55 for a $279.95 puck price ($87.40 diff)
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not get my phone order in till a little over two hours after the squamish started. Order 37362xxx. Still both "On hold" and "In stock and reserved." No cancel box.

Oh, well. Won't kill me either way.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • I just cancelled mine so another one is back in the queue. Not worth the risk for a quick flip.
    "If we are facing in the right direction, all we need to do is keep on walking." - David Brent

• << <i>Hmmmm.

Given the price drop in Silver (down to $36.52 an ounce from the 4/28 order date price of $48.50), I wonder if the US Mint will have a price adjustment on these?

On 4/28, the bullion price was $242.50 for a $279.95 puck price. ($37.45 diff)

Today, the bullion price is $192.55 for a $279.95 puck price ($87.40 diff) >>

The ase will rise with the price of silver and lose a few dollars in premium possibly. This will rise with the price of silver with a huge numismatic premium potential. Well worth the risk to me. Dealing with a small percentage of my overall PM holdings. Guess I'm a gambler from way back.
  • PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    I'm holding tight on one of mine...seems like a big correction after the ridiculous run. The fundamentals don't seem to have changed.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin

• << <i>lightcycler, if accumulation of silver is your goal, you can buy more of it right now on eBay for the $285 the Mint wants for these five ounces. Silver is less than $37/oz. now, why pay the Mint $56? But if you really really like this ugly duckling coin, you can have mine.

<< <i>Yeah, funny timing, just as he posted his cancellation, mine went from ISR on hold to ISR in process with no cncl boxes AND!! credit card just "charged", they will likely rush to process to preempt cancellations >>

Whew! That was close. Looks like I almost got stuck with one. image >>

I didn't say accumulation of silver was my only goal. Making money is my only goal. So I see a huge upside potential here. Many others see the same potential. If we are right we will be rewarded. If they go to spot I lost some of my gains. Assuming silver goes up from here that is. I think the chance they go to spot are two. Slim and none. Just my unabashed arrogant opinion image
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭
    Actually the Hot Springs is not bad. I do like the textured background. 4 of my 6 orders are in process. One on hold is from my brother's order.
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1500!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file