Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

Thank you. Wish I had found this site earlier. I'd probably have a set by now. You guys are great! image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • "same here"

Well, at least we're in the same boat even though it might be leaking image

• << <i>

<< <i>Just in case anyone needs the handy ebay fee calculator....

Ebay Fee Calculator >>

Hard call for those who want to sell as to what to do at present. Graded sets, esp. 69s will bring more than raw HOWEVER what will the prices be in two to three weeks when the graded sets (sent in now) are returned?? Of course, one can do express, but this adds a LOT to the grading fees. Then again, if they continue to drop in price rapidly the Express fee may be worth it. Who knows. The currrent record has to go to miles w/his "sealed" set at $3800!! >>

Early bird gets the worm!
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Paladin, welcome!.......................................................

Have Gun Will Travel reads the card of a man.
    A knight without armor in a savage land.

His fast gun for hire head's the calling wind.
    A soldier of fotune is the man called Paladin.

Paladin, Paladin
    Where do you roam?
    Paladin, Paladin,
    Far, far from home.
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • My FTrade order arrived next day by certified mail at 10:40 am and I still have not received confirmation.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I also suspect that the MULTIPLES from a single HH might get tossed, with one order (as per the limit) getting filled. >>

It looks multiples from a single HH will get tossed completely.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i>

<< <i>

Ebay Fee Calculator >>

Hard call for those who want to sell as to what to do at present. Graded sets, esp. 69s will bring more than raw HOWEVER what will the prices be in two to three weeks when the graded sets (sent in now) are returned?? Of course, one can do express, but this adds a LOT to the grading fees. Then again, if they continue to drop in price rapidly the Express fee may be worth it. Who knows. The currrent record has to go to miles w/his "sealed" set at $3800!! >>

Early bird gets the worm! >>

What was the date of miles' sale?

Amazing the difference a few days makes.

I think that, by far, the greatest factor in the ebay price drop is TGC bulk dealer sales.

• << <i>So, now I have been checking the site everyday, and have been ready to post something (if I learned something of course), and imagine my surprise to read this post, and find that I am shunned because I just joined, and OMG.... I actually participated with my first post as an entry into a makeshift (and generous) contest. Please keep this in mind as you disqualify my date guess. (BTW, That makes my total posts 2 now). >>

Ya know .....there are MANY who just post on every giveaway that is put out there.

I wanted to make this one for those who dealt with the continuing angst of the Puck saga....

A simple PM would have taken care of the situation and removed your hurt feelings...

No problem with the entry....

p.s. there are others dates taken that are from unknown posters...feel free to research and use them...image

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Ebay Fee Calculator >>

Early bird gets the worm! >>

What was the date of miles' sale?

Amazing the difference a few days makes.

I think that, by far, the greatest factor in the ebay price drop is TGC bulk dealer sales. >>

For sure. Those in question likely depressed the price by selling bulk to a few rather than 1 per HH which has kept the prices high.

Right now if you're going to sell, you've got to differentiate yourself from the other raw 5-coin sets. Unopened boxes, slabs, singles, etc.
    Paladin, welcome!.......................................................

Have Gun Will Travel reads the card of a man.
    A knight without armor in a savage land.

His fast gun for hire head's the calling wind.
    A soldier of fotune is the man called Paladin.

Paladin, Paladin
    Where do you roam?
    Paladin, Paladin,
    Far, far from home.

<< <i>Text >>

Very good - you remember! FWIW, I'm "class of 66". That was my favorite show back in the day. Today, I'm roaming all over the place trying to score a set of these beauties. image

~ Vince Lombardi
  • I also think it may be years until prices reach this high again, if at all. At the current rate, the APs will continue to sell their stash until the numismatic pieces come out. Those will the new target of hype and these bullion coins will settle quite a bit lower (but still a nice premium over spot). The early bird does in fact get the worm, and while it ain't 4am anymore it's still relatively early in the game.
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I also think it may be years until prices reach this high again, if at all. At the current rate, the APs will continue to sell their stash until the numismatic pieces come out. Those will the new target of hype and these bullion coins will settle quite a bit lower (but still a nice premium over spot). The early bird does in fact get the worm, and while it ain't 4am anymore it's still relatively early in the game. >>

True. However, most of the profits are being made by those that got their pucks in a non-mint approved fashion, leaving most of those that play by
    the rules out in the cold as far as a flipping opportunity goes. I am, however, not really interested in flipping. I just want 2 sets, one for each child.
    I have one set from APMEX and if I get another from Fidelitrade or MTB, I will be done until the mint issues come out.

• << <i>I also think it may be years until prices reach this high again, if at all. At the current rate, the APs will continue to sell their stash until the numismatic pieces come out. Those will the new target of hype and these bullion coins will settle quite a bit lower (but still a nice premium over spot). The early bird does in fact get the worm, and while it ain't 4am anymore it's still relatively early in the game. >>

This is a very unique set with a relatively low mintage. I don't think it will take years for the prices to reach this high again. When the 2011 set comes out with a higher mintage we will likely see the price go up.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thus far we have Apmex and Gold Center who sold a few hundred and then closed up shop. We know that they are playing games.

We have Prudential, Fidelitrade and MTB who have made efforts to be above-board.

What's the deal with the other 4 distributors?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>Thus far we have Apmex and Gold Center who sold a few hundred and then closed up shop. We know that they are playing games.

We have Prudential, Fidelitrade and MTB who have made efforts to be above-board.

What's the deal with the other 4 distributors? >>

Jack Hunt - DO NOT CALL!!! Absolutely No Phone Calls regarding ATB Coins will be taken at this time.
    Dillion Gage - At this point we are unable to accept names or take orders for these coins.
    Coins n things - Coming Soon - Due to overwhelming demand order requests will begin early 2nd Quarter 2011
    A-Mark - Available for sale mid January

• BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I think the market is artificially high because of the low availability....and the prices will go down soon. But, I think we'll see a jump again when the 'P' pucks come out because of the added hype and the impending frenzy.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Over on the goldismoney board is this thread / post-

"Just back from Florida Fun Show....ATB coins Sets were trading at retail $2200-$2500 for raw coins. Did NOT see a single retail sale... Was sitting at NGC table and as I was talking to them about submissions, I saw dealers bringing tubes of ATB coins to be left for submissions." >>

What's that I see on the horizon? A ship? Sailing away?

Cue Christopher Cross's "Sailing"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So, now I have been checking the site everyday, and have been ready to post something (if I learned something of course), and imagine my surprise to read this post, and find that I am shunned because I just joined, and OMG.... I actually participated with my first post as an entry into a makeshift (and generous) contest. Please keep this in mind as you disqualify my date guess. (BTW, That makes my total posts 2 now). >>

Ya know .....there are MANY who just post on every giveaway that is put out there.

I wanted to make this one for those who dealt with the continuing angst of the Puck saga....

A simple PM would have taken care of the situation and removed your hurt feelings...

p.s. there are others dates taken that are from unknown posters...feel free to research and use them...image >>

Do I get a free entry for starting such a great thread? Nobodys even said thanks image

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>So, now I have been checking the site everyday, and have been ready to post something (if I learned something of course), and imagine my surprise to read this post, and find that I am shunned because I just joined, and OMG.... I actually participated with my first post as an entry into a makeshift (and generous) contest. Please keep this in mind as you disqualify my date guess. (BTW, That makes my total posts 2 now). >>

p.s. there are others dates taken that are from unknown posters...feel free to research and use them...image >>

Do I get a free entry for starting such a great thread? Nobodys even said thanks image >>

Let me be the first today THANKS!!

• << <i>Do I get a free entry for starting such a great thread? Nobodys even said thanks image >>

Thank you! image

<< <i>Do I get a free entry for starting such a great thread? Nobodys even said thanks >>

Thanks.

Did you get a set of pucks?
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Do I get a free entry for starting such a great thread? Nobodys even said thanks >>

I have 4 weeks of stubble...the house burned down...the dog ran away...and the kids don't have any food...because I've been following this thread religiously...so yes, thanks!
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What's that I see on the horizon? A ship? Sailing away? >>

Yeah, the USS Mint Directive...image
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah. I got a set from APMEX. After I ordered my set, I immediately posted here. I'm glad some other folks were able to get a set because of this post. I returned the favor for all the MANY times folks have shared info on these boards willingly.

I found of particular interest The Gold Center's Jim Hausman's comments at the end of the article in the Springfield (IL) Star Register:

".... We have been selling the sets to our 'Real' customers for 3 weeks. AND we actually received 3700 sets. If I am going to give away $1500 per set profit, I do have the right to give away money to MY customers."

Is this what ALL the AP's have been doing? I mean, why else would they be sitting on these things for the past month?!

story link

~ Vince Lombardi
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no one knows what the hold up is with the other APs.

I can only hope they are getting organized and making a plan.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>no one knows what the hold up is with the other APs.

I can only hope they are getting organized and making a plan. >>

I really hope you're right. Unfortunately, what I see happening on the secondary market leads me to believe otherwise. And Hausman's comments and attitude certainly don't inspire much confidence. It's discouraging, but then, understandable. I mean, all the AP's are in the money biz. And that type of business would certainly attract more that its fair share of greedy individuals.

~ Vince Lombardi
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    General puck questions for whomever wants to answer.

1. Which AP's are left that have not, as yet, put their pucks on the market?

2. Does anyone know when the AP's in question 1, will do so?

3. Has anyone who has received a set of pucks already, returned them (either the entire set or specific coins) due to "poor quality," and if so, what was the response from the AP? Did they provide you an exchange? Tell you to stick it? Offer a complete refund only, etc.?

4. Has anyone to date, assuming for good reasons (wanting each of their kids to have a set vs. wanting to flip a set, etc.) bought multiple sets through different AP's, by buying one set at a time from each of them?

5. Will you have your set slabbed and, if so, by NGC or PCGS?
    I just spoke w/PCGS. My pucks are on the way back to me in FS slabs. The grades: GC 66. YS 66. HS 69 MH 68. YOS 69. It figures that what will likely be the most desirable ones are 66. These were the APMEX pucks and looked very nice. I think that they may well have all been NGC 69's ER looking at the NGC pops. May well have done better submitting to NGC. That was my plan but on the day I was going to ship PCGS started accepting them and decided that they were going to do FS. At that time they had not yet announced that there would be no FS deadline. Don't know what to do. May sell and submit others to NGC for ER slabbing to keep. Being that I did get two 69s out of five coins will we see some PCGS 70s?

<< <i>will we see some PCGS 70s? >>

only on the ones I send in.image

Wow - just saw 2 auctions end on ebay and the selling price barely made it above $2000.

ebay link

What a drop from just a few days ago. Maybe we can all get a set on ebay for a reasonable price just by waiting! image

~ Vince Lombardi
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coinsantiques is flooding themselves out of higher prices.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    I'll bet those pcgs 69's would bring $1000+ on the bay
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin

What is the statute of limitations for ignoring Mint directives???

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Do I get a free entry for starting such a great thread? Nobodys even said thanks image >>

Thanks!

And I vote that you get FIVE entries in honor of the five pucks!!!

TD

<< <i>coinsantiques is flooding themselves out of higher prices. >>

I guess so! Here's one that just ended for $1,936.

$1936 ebay link

Are the chicks finally coming home to roost? image

~ Vince Lombardi
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

What is the statute of limitations for ignoring Mint directives???

image >>

I still think it's possible an AP just decided to not follow directives and make as much money as possible. If they are cut lose from the mint who cares they just made a cool mil and it's time to retire early.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>coinsantiques is flooding themselves out of higher prices. >>

Yes and they have the advantage of doing so before the hoop jumping flipper even has a chance. The AP's friends (and probably the AP kickback) is making a lot of money over this stalling the APs are doing.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    thats funny

"im going to give the sets to MY customers"

I bought a few monster boxes of ASE's off these guys a few years ago - i'm a customer and I DID'NT GET A CALL

what a bunch of BS.

like I said before, just dont sell them any 2011 ASE bullion until June. Give it to the other AP's that play the game the correct way.

The way I see it, the ones that actually are trying to get these sets into the hands of the customers are:

MTB
    Fidelitrade
    Prudential

• << <i>Do I get a free entry for starting such a great thread? Nobodys even said thanks >>

Yup...no cost for your entry image

Sorry for the delayed response....I am kinda on Island time..image
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So here is the million dollar question:

If you had two sets, and could sell one right now for $1800 to $2000 on ebay what would you do?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • If these fall to spot prices, I may use my set as beer coasters. image
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not giving Prudential any credit. A 2 hour sales window via telephone that lasted a few days with no PCGS board members being able to get through? Sorry. APMEX at least gets partial credit IMO.

I think it is likely that these APs are either waiting for demand to subside or they are waiting until things die down so they fly under the radar in a few months when (they think) nobody will care.

I agree, the US Mint needs to implement sanctions. Since ASE's are often rationed, cut them out or cut their supply dramatically and/or offer them less competitive prices, or cut them off altogether. And do it to at least ONE AP... you don't have to do it to all. The AP's need to know that the mint means business. If the mint doesn't follow through, future policies will be ignored as well.
    WooHoo! MTB Just shipped mine...scheduled arrival 1/17

<< <i>thats funny

I bought a few monster boxes of ASE's off these guys a few years ago - i'm a customer and I DID'NT GET A CALL >>

Guess he meant to say "MY BEST customers" but he figured he be diplomatic. image

~ Vince Lombardi

<< <i>thats funny

I bought a few monster boxes of ASE's off these guys a few years ago - i'm a customer and I DID'NT GET A CALL >>

Guess he meant to say "MY BEST customers" but he figured he be diplomatic. image

~ Vince Lombardi
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WooHoo! MTB Just shipped mine...scheduled arrival 1/17 >>

Same here! BTW I paid with a US Postal Money order. Nice job MTB!
    I paid with Cashier's check
    I would LOVE to see TGC audited, thrown out of the AP program and fined - all would be very well deserved. Any less just tells the other APs "do what you want, The Mint is a paper tiger."

<< <i>I'm not giving Prudential any credit. A 2 hour sales window via telephone that lasted a few days with no PCGS board members being able to get through? Sorry. >>

My feelings exactly. On the second day of their "2 hour sale" I made it through to the interior queue where they put you on hold to wait for a sales rep. Got really excited. Thought this was it! But after holding for an hour a recording came on & said " You have exceeded the maximum connect time" ....... AND DISCONNECTED ME!!!!! So now I'm wondering if anyone actually got through & was able to buy a set during their 2 hour marathon. Real nice guys. image

~ Vince Lombardi

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file